Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Great Generals of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  19:47:00  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My Siamorphian (sp?) cleric has an interest in history and leadership in Fearun. What famous generals could he have heard of, are active around 1374 or are renowned for a great battlefield they won?

It would be great if he can reference some "Sun Tzu" like tome on warfare like the "Art of War", but specified to the realms. Any sage knowledgable about something like this?

Great Generals - Active Region - Major Battle - Works of Literature

Lady Knight Arya Venkyr - Silverymoon, Silver Marches, the Dales and the North - Crossingpoint of the Ashaba river south of Shadowdale; 1374 - "the Lion of Everlund"

King Azoun IV - Cormyr, Sea of Fallen Stars - Phsant; 1360

Lady Kaitlin Bloodhawk - Citadel of Strategic Militancy (East of Baldurs Gate), The Sword Coast and Thethyr -
Myth Rynn in the Forest of Thethir; 1358 - Red Her Valor

King Beldoran - lost kingdom in monster infested Thar -
Tower of Nauth and the Bastion of Glister; 1288 - Beldoran lore (?)

General Wo Chan - Durkon, Tu Lung - the Mouth of Fenghsintzu; -836 - The Battle of Infinite Darkness

General Dagna and his son Dagnabbit - Old Delzoun, the North - Mithril Hall; 1356 and 1369(?)

King Gareth Dragonsbane - Damara, Bloodstone Lands - Monastery of the Yellow Rose; 1373

Warlord Batu Min Ho - Semphar, Golden Way - Shar's Pass; 1359

Archwizard Ioulaum - Seventon, Old Netheril and the Aunaroch - Plain of Standing Stones; -3145

Imphras the Great - Impiltur - Defeated hobgoblin horde, took on and beat Thay when coming to the aid of Thesk; 1095

Bladelord Jhaam - Jhaamdath, Vilhon Reach - Defence of Naarkolyth; -5800

Strategor Mattick - Netheril, Basin Lake - Pass of Humaithira; -1561

Warchief Reinhar - Dambrath, Var, Luiren and Halruua - Conquest of Southern Shaar regions and invasion of Halruua; 553

High Priest Seiveril Miritar - Evermeet, Evereska and Cormanthyr Forest - Retaking of Myth Drannor; 1374

King Strohm IV - Zazesspur, Thethyr - Plains of Thethyr, Defeat of the goblin chief Delgern the Three-Tusked; 771 - Battle of Brinniq Dell [my character has big shoes to fill! :)]

Lord Sarshell "the True" Elethlim - Westgate(?), Impiltur - Citadel of Conjurers, Defeat of "the Poxxed"; 729

Emperor Yhamun Khahan - Steppes of the East, Golden Way - Breach of the Dragonwall; 1359

Drawn Sword mentor? Ilyndil Fireblade - Mintar (Lake of Steam), Calimshan and Border Kingdoms -

Quyadin (Sadammin General-Wizard) Tulan el Akada - Calimshan - rooting of the entrenched drow in the Forest of Mir; -733 - The Night Wars Chronicles

Chieftain Obould Many-Arrows and sons - Silver Marches and the Spine of the World - Taking of Citadel Felbarr; 1104 Siege of Mithral Hall; 1370 - Battle of Many Arrows

Dwarf King Emerus Warcrown - Silver Marches and the High Forest - Retaking of Citadel Many Arrows/Felbarr; 1367

War Lord Gharl - The Sword Coast, Waterdeep - Defence of Nimoars Hold; 936 - The Orcfastings Wars

War Lord Imphail the Just - The Dessarin Valley, Waterdeep - starts (and falls in the first year of)the hunt for troll gangs along the Dessarin river; 940 to 952 - The Second Trollwar

Troll warlord Harska Thaug - Spine of the World, the North - Sacking of the elven realms of Rilithar with a gathering of orcs and trolls & the destruction of the Selskar order; -585 & -584 DR - The binding of Bozim Gorag

The Headtaker - Kara-Tur

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 21 Mar 2013 21:55:00

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  01:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clarification: Are you looking for canonical info, or brainstorm ideas?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  04:36:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both! :P

If your character won a big battle and gained renown for it, I'd gladly namedrop him in my future sessions. Bonus points for cool military titles.

Collecting all canon commanders might be daunting, but we could give it a try, nay?
From the GHotR I can glean that the Realms has lots of skirmishes. But I want to focus on the larger battlefields of Fearun and the military fame of the commanders that waged wars of conquest. Figures that incorporated new tactics to great effect similar to Alexander the Great (Seiveril?), Ghengis Khan (Yamun Kahan obviously) enabling larger realms than most think possible.

Perhaps its better to leave the naval generals outside the scope of this question aswell, unless they are so awesome they really need to be mentioned (highly likely that :P).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 25 Sep 2010 04:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  12:24:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many, for a Sun Tzu-like character in the Eastern Realms you have generals Batu Min Ho (from the Tuigan novels and adventures) and the Headtaker (Kara-Tur CS, and generally the book is filled with famous generals, e.g. Po Li or something, can't remember). There's even the historical Warring States south of T'u Lung.

In the Realms there are ancients like the psionic warrior Jhaam of Jhaamdath, murabir Coram, strategor Matick of Netheril, Uthgar, warlord Tchazzar (the legend, not the dragon). Recently Red Knight (Tethyrian wars), king Azoun (Crusade), king Hippartes of Akanax, Ilyndil Fireblade of Mintar (sort of a swordsage) ...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  16:26:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there was that one woman, who was inhabited by The Red Knight and founded the Monestary of Military (or something akin to that in the Western Heartlands). It's in the Champions of Valor book under the Red Falcon description.

Also, King Azoun III was pretty well known for his valor in battle.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  16:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was Bruenor Battlehammer's general? General Dagnabbit if i remember correctly. I thought that name rocked, and he HAD to have a measure of fame just cuz I can see people screaming "Dagnabbit!" across the battle-field
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  16:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While human generals and commanders might get more "rank and honor" i think the truly feared would be elven and dwarf generals, after all, they have been waging wars and useing tried-and-true tactics for centuries!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  16:34:51  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Historically, General Matick of Netheril is considered the finest human general of all time. He (according to GHotR) performed a Thermopylae- style defense of Eastern Netheril.
As for modern military officers, Azoun wrote a couple of popular tomes on strategy and tactics, and considering his successes against the Horde, I'd say he wasn't an armchair commander.
The greatest *living* general in the Western Realms is likely the woman who served as the Red Knight's host during the ToT (as Diffan pointed out).

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  03:18:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
generals or those who lead armies.....

either case

Princes Alusair "The Steel Princess" Obaskyr

Ioluam of SEventon

The first warlord of Waterdeep ( something) Wardragon.

thats as far as I know.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  08:23:40  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as recent battles are concerned, many people would probably remember Azoun IV and Yamun Khahan, for their part in the Horde Wars.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  16:08:34  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome,these are many more than I could have remembered.

I went hunting some info on the Red Knight and her host and the high priestess of the faith, Lady Kaitlin Bloodhawk, will be the first and foremost of Generals that my cleric will reference, as he(Baron Scion Zekiel Strohm) is from Thethyr's environment near Zassespur and very chauvinistic. I'd guess her most known theatrizes on Red Knights dogma would intricately describe Fearuns modern warfare; especially the tactics of cavalry, (clerical) warcasting and siege machinery.

I'll edit the first post to catalogue the names found in this thread for easy reference.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  18:39:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't have books in front of me right now, but I believe there was a major Dambrathan (pre-drow invasion) King that conquered nearly all the southern coasts of Faerun from Halruaa to Var. But it may have been more than one king...not sure.

Gareth Dragonsbane united Damara and shattered Vaasa's power.

I'll look around when I get a chance this week and see what I can actually find...I know there are several very important generals out there!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  21:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re: Dagnabbit . . . I'm pretty sure it's General Dagna, and then his son, Dagnabbit.

Also, it may be forward dated from the era you're asking about, but one of the characters from Ghostwalker--Arya Venkyr--went on to become a powerful and famous general in service to Silverymoon after the events of the novel (novel in 1374, so you're looking at late 1374-1384), only to vanish in the Spellplague. In the post-SP era, she is still remembered fondly and proudly throughout the North, and her descendants reside in the city through 1479.

I'm also pretty sure one of the Azouns wrote a detailed treatise on tactics and warfare.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 26 Sep 2010 21:55:00
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  22:47:58  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Descendants of Lady Knight Arya Venkyr? Awesome! So 15th century Silverymoon houses little Ghostwalkers. Or did she marry with someone else? Poor Walker... Nead to reread that novel soon.

Any major battles Lady Knight Venkyr won you can mention to us? Their place and tactics? The name of her written works?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 26 Sep 2010 22:52:08
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  17:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, nothing canonical as-yet (other than her long poem, The Nightingale's Song), but I can speculate for you:

A hard, deadly warrior-general, Arya was never keen on writing much in the way of philosophy or tactical treatises. She didn't have time for such trivialities, as she would have seen them. (Her poem is a noted exception, and is a note of historical interest.)

As for the actual battles she fought in, that depends a lot on your campaign, and on info that is as-yet unrevealed about the decade before the Spellplague. She was known to ignore contrary orders and lead her extremely loyal soldiers into whatever battle she thought had to be fought, so she might have taken part in any of the battles mentioned in Grand History of the Realms in the years between 1374 and 1384. If it's appropriate to have a unit of Knights in Silver under her command fighting the daemonfey during Seiveril's Crusade or guerilla fighters resisting the Zhents in the Dalelands, that's totally possible.

Generally, Arya Venkyr (sometimes known as the Lion of Everlund, instead of the Nightingale) was a straight-forward, aggressive general, absolutely fearless, well-known for her cold ferocity and nigh-suicidal tactics when it came to battle. Arya acquired a reputation for charging into hopeless odds, quite as though she wanted to die. To this day, a "Venkyr Charge" is synonymous with a hopeless attack, in the way we might use the term "Hail Mary."

While some believe Arya had lost her wits somewhere along the way, some sages suggest that she lost something (or someone) very important to her in her youth, which caused her to lose all fear--indeed, almost that she welcomed death. (This hypothesis is supported by the seemingly uncharacteristic Nightingale's Song.)

She inspired such loyalty and reckless fervor in her soldiers, and seeing her fearsome unit of Knights in Silver take the field caused many an enemy commander to quaver, lose bowel control, or outright flee.

So yeah. Pretty much a take-no-prisoners, fearless Faerunian military bad-@$$.

As for children: read my story in Realms of the Dead, which offers some hints in that regard.

Note that I'm just posting this for use in your campaign, and this only somewhat vaugely: the possibility is always there that Arya will reappear in future products, or more of her story will be unveiled. We'll just have to see!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 27 Sep 2010 18:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  15:50:16  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Venkyr Charge" sounds like a sweet paragon power. Very nice.

I'll go ahead and say in my campaigns a ballad named "Lioness of Everlund" describes her small unit of Knights in Silver ambushing an opposing cavalry unit of Scyllua Darkhope and a phalanx unit of the Brigade of Shadows in 1374. The two warlords clashed but Scyllua's nightmare brought her to safety.

Some might have noticed I added some new names to the list of Great Generals.

General Wo Chan is famous for his devious tactics. During the earlier skirmishes between the warring factions of T'u-Lung he dispatched a very large army of his foes by holding a choke point on the battlefield and suddenly shrouding the whole battle under complete magical darkness.

Warchief or King Reinhar I (till IX) used the very fast Dambraii horsebreed to conquer Semphar, Estagund and Var. They tested Halruuas defences on multiple occasions (first time in 553, and in 545 this resulted in the frst Reinhars death).

Sarshell "the True" Elethlim held the Triad Crusade from 729 to 730, among Fearuns first major paladin crusades in Fearun. His host defeated the demon Dralith "the Poxxed" in Impiltur.

Last Mythal Spoilers:
Seiveril Miritar re-established the Elf presence in Cormanthyr in 1374 by using combined forces of Dalesfolk Militia, Evereskan and Evermeet military and Sembian mercenaries. He used advanced mixtures of spellcasting, cavalery and adaptive infantry and estblished a major foothold in North Fearun.

Oh, and about Arya, what title should I use to adress her, I seem to have the same problem as a certain "Roguish Knight" named Derst had. Did she have a military title around the end of 1374?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 28 Sep 2010 16:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  19:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

"Venkyr Charge" sounds like a sweet paragon power. Very nice.
By all means! Go to town.

quote:
I'll go ahead and say in my campaigns a ballad named "Lioness of Everlund" describes her small unit of Knights in Silver ambushing an opposing cavalry unit of Scyllua Darkhope and a phalanx unit of the Brigade of Shadows in 1374. The two warlords clashed but Scyllua's nightmare brought her to safety.
There's actually a great unpublished story I wrote about the two of them--Arya and Scyllua--meeting, which shows Arya's unparalleled ferocity, both tactically and personally. It intimidated even the dark Castellan of Zhentil Keep, who ultimately backed down.

quote:
Oh, and about Arya, what title should I use to adress her, I seem to have the same problem as a certain "Roguish Knight" named Derst had. Did she have a military title around the end of 1374?

Bars and Derst refer to her as "Lady Sir" in Ghostwalker, but that's an in-joke from younger days (from a flustered messenger who couldn't figure out which to call her, so he called her both).

As for rank: I'm away from my books at the moment, so I can't be specific about rank title, but through the beginning of Spring, 1374, she was basically a Lieutenant (with two PFCs under her, Bars and Derst), then she rose very quickly through the ranks and would have been the equivalent of a Major by the end of the year, and an actual General/Field Marshal by 1375-6. She was technically under Methrammar Aerasume (Alustriel's son and commander of the Silver Marches armies), but most of the time she reported directly to Alustriel.

I don't want to clutter up your thread with a lot of info here, so if you want any more biographical details, drop me a PM!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  00:27:24  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome to share these excellent lore morsels, I don't mind it at all!

__

I included the battletale of my characters ancestor, King Strohm the Fourth, great great grand son of elf prince Strohm, slayer of the last necroqysar of Shoon.
King Strohm IV broke through the defences of a massive goblinoid horde with a heavy cavalry charge on the open plains of central Thethyr and proceeded to slay their chieftain "Three Tusked" Delgern, scattering the remaining horde. Legends* tell his advancing army literally rode on the heads of his enemies, but my character Baron Zekiel Strohm thinks a preplanned use of airwalk spells was used securing this decisive victory.

*My own embelishments of Battle of Brinniq Dell canon, hehe. But seriously, an army trained to airwalk would have a huge tactical advantage on battlefields, creating the abiltiy to engage enemy armies on previously unassailable points.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  11:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any more information/ideas? I seem to recall a 'Captain Fallorain' of Tethyr, but it was in BG AFAIR...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  14:51:06  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, certainly King Obould - the military victories he achieved in his career are significant.

Sythilis, of the Murann empire

more there,but lacking names right now.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:11:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you site me any major battles Obould won? I caguely remember him taking some dwarven stronghold by treachery, not necessarily military cunning.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:30:34  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

What was Bruenor Battlehammer's general? General Dagnabbit if i remember correctly. I thought that name rocked, and he HAD to have a measure of fame just cuz I can see people screaming "Dagnabbit!" across the battle-field

I think it was general Dagna. Dagnabit was his son and not as accomplished, but expected to be promising before his death.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  17:10:30  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@bladewind:

he took a smaller town between sundabar and mithril hall by regular military strength, and also won the battle on the doors of mithril hall against bruenor and his dawrves, and actually capured them inside their own fortress.

and also he won countless battles against other orc-kings in the spine of the world.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  20:40:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who was the general leading the "good guys" at the Battle of Bones?

Though, with such a pyrhic victory...might not be that he was so great after all.

I would like to submit a fella, but can't remember his name. From Sembia, went by "The Raven" or some such? Actually gave the elves pause I believe and helped put through the Road to Hillsfar? I can't remember right now...having trouble finding the source and don't know if my memory is serving me well.

Also, The "King of the Dales" was a noted battle-leader and King of the Dales after all!

Is it Brandon that is also a well known war-leader of the Sembia, Moonsea and Vast areas?

Sorry...having an off day remembering things...

As for a non-canon, I would submit "Lord" Ueralik Blacktor; Senior War-Advisor to the High Blade of Mulmaster. Ueralik is not a noble, but has served in many armies as a General; even serving for five years in the Flaming Fist mercenary company as a Senior Captain before retiring.

Ueralik is a Lawful Neutral Chondathan Male Fighter 6, Wizard 3 and Expert 5 who has never crawled in a dungeon, but has killed more orcs, goblins and ogres than many of the most seasoned "adventurers" will ever think of...and more Zhentilar, Melvauntians and other Moonsea City Soldiers than such worthies as Florin Falconhand might have a claim to.

He is also THE MAN that the High Blade goes to when he wants the blunt honest truth about Mulmaster's current strategic situation in regards to its neighbors...and even far away Kingdoms such as Cormyr or Turmish. Ueralik keeps in the know about the current goings on in these nations through his passionate relationships with several of the Cloaks of Mulmaster who he has feed him information through scrying and agents abroad in return for minor magical trinkets that come his way.

Although Ueralik is a minor mageling, he has left behind serious study of the Art in favor of the Military Arts when he was still a "young lad" in his twenties. Now well into his sixties, he is a capable combatant, though his reflexes and strength have waned in the past decade and he knows his life is nearing its end.

Ueralik has focused his Skills primarily on Knowledges (Nobility, History, Local and such) and his chosen Profession is a Siege Engineer (with quite a bit of knowledge about building fortifications as well...particularly those temporary sorts built in the field). He has personally penned no less than half a dozen tomes concerning the military arts, and most Captains in Mulmaster either become ardent students of his works...or look like fools beside those who are.

He is also a master of infantry tactics in regards their use against more mobile cavalry, having made an in depth study of the tactics used by Azoun of Cormyr against the Tuigan…and perhaps improving upon them somewhat for use against a particular adversary: the Barbarians of the Ride. Looking to the future of Mulmaster expanding, it is his current undertaking to find methods to deal with more mobile forces using the predominantly infantry forces available to Mulmaster.

While “Lord” Ueralik has only some few years remaining in his life, his works are sure to find favor for decades to come as he plans to secret them out of Mulmaster and make them available in multiple copies spread all over the Realms before he dies.

While many credit a "Great General" as only Great if he has conquered or slain many thousands in one battle, Ueralik is counted a genius because he has masterfully implemented a long term strategy that has prevented any assault to even approach the gates of Mulmaster by Orc Horde or Zhentilar invasion in the last two decades. His program of patrols and ruthless advising of purges of neighboring clans has even prevented the possibility of orc bands even settling near Mulmaster.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 19 Mar 2011 20:44:03
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  21:43:23  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
King Emerus Warcrown of Citadel Felbarr - For the re-capture of Felbarr and other less famous battles.

General Vrakk of Zhentil Keep - Who helped bring down Zhentil keep, and his part in King Azoun's crusade.

Ironlord Torg mac Cei - For his part in the battle of the golden way, in the war that claimed his life.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  14:55:17  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone find the dates and location of the previously mentioned major battles? It would anable me to add them to the list in the original post.

During the initial years of the Night Wars A Calishite sadammin general-wizard named Tulan el Akada conquers the Forest of Mir by using his self engineered aranea (were-spiders that can take on drow or giant spider forms) in his army as elite super soldiers and spies against the drow that had infested the forest for several decades [-733 DR].

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  22:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll support Obould getting on the list. He displays considerable military insight throughout the books; the problem is and this is regularly demonstrated, that those under his command are utterly incompetent strategists and the very best of them are only passible tacticians. A general is only as good as the tools at his disposal, and considering what he had to work with...

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  04:47:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'll support Obould getting on the list. He displays considerable military insight throughout the books; the problem is and this is regularly demonstrated, that those under his command are utterly incompetent strategists and the very best of them are only passible tacticians. A general is only as good as the tools at his disposal, and considering what he had to work with...

My thinking is that a great general would compensate for any weaknesses amongst his troops, if not removing those weaknesses by training/intimidation/boosting morale/replacing incompetent leaders.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  04:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which you do see him doing; just happened that the war ended before that process could be completed.

Part of the problem with Obould is that he wasn't just fighting a war against dwarves; he was fighting a war against the deeply ingrained customs and culture of his people. First and formost he had to cultivate personal loyalty. Then he had to fight cultural brainwashing that had convinced the orcs that "CHARGE" was a viable strategy for every situation and that a 50% casualty rate wasn't only acceptable, but optimal.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  15:12:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Which you do see him doing; just happened that the war ended before that process could be completed.

Part of the problem with Obould is that he wasn't just fighting a war against dwarves; he was fighting a war against the deeply ingrained customs and culture of his people. First and formost he had to cultivate personal loyalty. Then he had to fight cultural brainwashing that had convinced the orcs that "CHARGE" was a viable strategy for every situation and that a 50% casualty rate wasn't only acceptable, but optimal.

I still think that a great general would have whipped his troops into shape before sending them into battle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll conceed that he wasn't a great general before his blessing. He was a good general, great by orcish standards. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been able to capture and hold a dwarven citedel(one of the stronger ones in the region) for a number of years.

After the blessing battle was either already joined or pressed on him. At that point the choice was either send troops into battle or retreat. Normally retreat would be the smart option, but again, dealing with the orcs that have had stupidity forced upon them by decades of bad writing. Retreat would have either meant the breaking of his army at best, or his men turning on him at worst(for them, anyway).

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000