Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Terraseer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  20:58:11  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, that was what I was refering to!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  06:12:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I think he somehow became either a helper of Mystryl or some kind of police man for Mystra after the cataclysm!

Larloch's on Krynn, too?

I think Nicolai is referring to the "Great Folly of Karsus."

Though, Larloch on Krynn is an intriguing prospect.

Indeed. I wonder how would the Queen of Darkness react to that.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  06:33:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So answer me this... If he's a Chosen... Why is he undead? Wouldn't some divine assistance make a nice alternative to continuing to wander about while decomposing?

And if he's a Chosen, then why would the power of his deity's successor be enough to utterly destroy him?

I'm willing to put money on Larloch not being a Chosen. He's got some unique relationship with Mystra, but he's not a Chosen.

I too do not think that Larloch is a Chosen. Mayhap he was, but unlike the rebel Chosen (Sammaster and that wizard in the old Elminster books) who chose to severe their ties with Mystra, Larloch, being more self-serving but cautious, might have simply requested (or begged?) from the goddess to unburden him with a Chosen's responsibilities, and promised not to interfere with the other Chosen. Mystra took from him the silverfire and relieved him of his duties, but maintained a rather "friendly" relationship.

Edited by - Dennis on 17 Sep 2010 06:36:26
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  09:33:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As written in the Forgotten Realms Wiki (Larloch)
When the first Chosen of Mystra appeared, Larloch took note and spent many years observing and studying them very closely. When he was sure he understood correctly their purpose on Toril, he decided to never cross paths or interfere with them in any way. This should be considered in context, though. Larloch realizes that the destruction or malfunction of the Weave would mean the end of his research and the destruction of all he has accomplished in the last few millennia. He also receives many boons from Mystra—in exchange for disseminating many of his new discoveries, Mystra grants him great freedom in the research of mighty spells and the creation of powerful artifacts.
I'm not sure of this passage's author or canon, but it does seem like a reasonable answer.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  22:42:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wiki isn't canon, so unless a canon source is given, I would take that with a grain of salt.

What I think is going on is a combination of some of the ideas we've been throwing around.

What if living Larloch was a chosen of Mystryl? Could he have become a Lich after Karsus' folly? If that defies his timeline, perhaps he was given warning and became a lich so he could continue his work?

Just because he is a lich now does not preclude the fact he could have been a living Chosen of Mystryl at some point.

Maybe this is the meaning behind Tears so White - its not experiencing that which he can not have, but rather experiencing that which he has lost.

What if he was Mystryl's Elminster? What if he 'held it together' the last time the weave collapsed? This would give him a special place of honor in 'the new order'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2010 22:42:45
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:02:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about the wiki's canon being questionable without source citations.

As I understand it...
Almost certain - Mystryl didn't have any Chosen. Mystra was the first goddess of magic to have any.
Certain - Mystra was the first to implement the position of Magister, and Azuth was the first to hold that title (while he was mortal).

I don't know when living Larloch died/liched. I'm assuming it was before Netheril fell and Mystra ascended - although that's not strictly necessary. For all I know he could have extended his life, in theory, right up until 1340DR (the first lich reference I recall reading), unlikely but possible. Another consideration is that lich or not, Mystra may indeed have "semi-Chosen" Larloch, at least to confer some extra longevity.

I honestly don't know which sourcebooks he's featured in. My Larloch lore is all culled from a few short stories and what is found on the internet. So I'm obviously no expert on this character, even though I'm an interested in knowing more about him.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Oct 2010 01:04:53
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  05:41:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I don't know when living Larloch died/liched. I'm assuming it was before Netheril fell and Mystra ascended - although that's not strictly necessary. For all I know he could have extended his life, in theory, right up until 1340DR (the first lich reference I recall reading), unlikely but possible. Another consideration is that lich or not, Mystra may indeed have "semi-Chosen" Larloch, at least to confer some extra longevity.

Larloch became a lich long before Netheril's Fall. But that doesn't void the possibility that he was (used to be) Mystra's Chosen.

Anyway, just a thought: I believe the reason Larloch never attempted to tap magic from the Shadow Weave (which is, as known to all, a province of Shar) is because of his “special” relationship with Mystra. And now that Mystra is dead, and possibly won't come back until a century or more, do you think Laloch will commence an experimentation with the SW? Furthering his magical knowledge has been his lifetime purpose (or so it appears). I'm pretty sure he's long been itching to “explore” that other source of magic that can provide a whole new dimension to everything he knows thus far. If Vhostym was able to tap magic from both Weaves, no doubt, so could Larloch – mayhap even better.

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Oct 2010 05:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  06:30:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of Larloch's 'preoccupations' is keeping tabs on Halaster (who is older, and may be wiser, then he), and since he is probably aware of the source of Halaster's madness (either through surveillance of Halaster himself or through his 'special relationship' with Mystra), he may have not wanted to tempt fate (and also go mad), since Halaster was unable to to avoid that fate, and they are nearly equals.

As for the Terraseer (the original topic of this thread), has anyone ever given any thought to his name?

Quite literally, it means something akin to 'earth-sage'. I doubt the name was chosen randomly - he/it seems to have a far-reaching agenda, and it may have to do with his title (as someone who may be aware of "the fate of the world").

As Larloch may have been a precursor to Elminster and Chosen of Mystryl, perhaps the Terraseer was a precursor to Larloch and a Chosen of some power previous to Mystryl (like Larue, or some scaley power).

Maybe Faerűn requires a mortal 'warden' to watch over it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2010 06:31:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  07:10:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As for the Terraseer (the original topic of this thread), has anyone ever given any thought to his name?

Quite literally, it means something akin to 'earth-sage'. I doubt the name was chosen randomly - he/it seems to have a far-reaching agenda, and it may have to do with his title (as someone who may be aware of "the fate of the world").
I seem to recall the old Netheril boxed set stating that the Terraseer was a "mysterious oracle," which could explain the "seer" portion of his title. Though I'm not too keen on connecting the concept of "Terra/Earth" with a prominent and ancient Realms figure.

Instead, I've speculated previously, based on musings from Krash, that the "Terra" portion of his title might be some decayed archaic derivative from the sarrukh, who also had a strange [but unknown] name for him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  09:12:59  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

Larloch became a lich long before Netheril's Fall. But that doesn't void the possibility that he was (used to be) Mystra's

SNIP

Actually, the ONLY canon source on the subject (LEoF), says that he escaped Jiksidur (his enclave) on dragonback, and that contingencies turned him into a lich. Unless I'm conflating Larloch and Aumvor. Which I may be; I'm none too sober and AFB.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  09:15:54  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of Larloch's 'preoccupations' is keeping tabs on Halaster (who is older, and may be wiser, then he), and since he is probably aware of the source of Halaster's madness (either through surveillance of Halaster himself or through his 'special relationship' with Mystra), he may have not wanted to tempt fate (and also go mad), since Halaster was unable to to avoid that fate, and they are nearly equals.

As Larloch may have been a precursor to Elminster and Chosen of Mystryl, perhaps the Terraseer was a precursor to Larloch and a Chosen of some power previous to Mystryl (like Larue, or some scaley power).

Maybe Faerűn requires a mortal 'warden' to watch over it.

That may be the case, but IIRC, his biggest contribution to Netheril was leading the Netherese to a lode of Chardalyn, and explaining to them the uses thereof. As Chardalyn is a mineral, and he 'dowsed' its location, I'd say he came by the moniker 'Terraseer' honestly.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  16:30:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I seem to recall the old Netheril boxed set stating that the Terraseer was a "mysterious oracle," which could explain the "seer" portion of his title. Though I'm not too keen on connecting the concept of "Terra/Earth" with a prominent and ancient Realms figure.
Agreed, but see below...

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Actually, the ONLY canon source on the subject (LEoF), says that he escaped Jiksidur (his enclave) on dragonback, and that contingencies turned him into a lich. Unless I'm conflating Larloch and Aumvor. Which I may be; I'm none too sober and AFB.
If that IS the case, then it is ALL THE MORE LIKELY that he WAS a Chosen of Mystyl, and he or Mystryl setup a contingency so that he could "go on" in the event something should happen to her.

quote:

That may be the case, but IIRC, his biggest contribution to Netheril was leading the Netherese to a lode of Chardalyn, and explaining to them the uses thereof. As Chardalyn is a mineral, and he 'dowsed' its location, I'd say he came by the moniker 'Terraseer' honestly.
Nope.

That was just a small portion of what he did - he directed the Netherease to explore The North, which lead directly to the Nether scrolls (amongst other things). He steered their early history and was responsible in a great many ways for what they became. In fact, when you think about it, they owe their NAME to him.

quote:

Instead, I've speculated previously, based on musings from Krash, that the "Terra" portion of his title might be some decayed archaic derivative from the sarrukh, who also had a strange [but unknown] name for him.
Buuuuuut...

I will use the same argument here that I use quite often when discussing 'the Gods' (and usually with Gray): Why must that term have originated on Earth? It is only through meta-gaming knowledge we know that. Two (related) possibilities - first, that you are correct, but the term 'Terra' is actually derived from some Outsider tongue and means 'Earth' (I would lean toward it being a highly-specific term form the plane of Earth that means "earth from the prime material"). This means the Sarrukh got it from another source, and perhaps he thought himself clever by hiding his true agenda within an obscure title (the word 'Seer' is also from earth, so you could just as easily find issue with THAT).

SECOND, the word came from elsewhere and was picked-up by the Netherease (which could mean theory #1 above still holds true). OR, conversely, since we know the Netherease arose well after the Imaskari, and we know the Imaskari had interaction with the peoples of the Mediterranean, it could have easily been a linguistic migration from another plane.

THIRD, you can mix and match - it could have been something the Netherease got from Imaskar that they got from Earth Latin (and for all we know Halaster could have named him 'Terraseer'), or it could have been a Latin word that was originally adopted from the Grecco-Roman pantheon, who in-turn got it from the same celestial tongue I referred to in theory #1. Or it could have even originated on yet another world, which the Imaskari or some other group visited and became part of both languages (Latin and Netherease). And with that last option, theory #1 could still hold true.

Two caveats - note that Ed has no problem talking to Elminster, so their obviously is some relation between earth English and the Dathite tongues (although that is odd, because Old English is derived from German, not the Romance languages). Secondly, in one of Ed's stories we see a cache created by Karsus himself, and it is marked with a stylized 'K'. Clearly, that is a second indicator that the Netherease use an alphabet extremely similar to the one used in English.

Therefor, my conjecture is that because of the nature of the Forgotten Realms, there has been quite a lot of cross-cultural pollination with many worlds, and the term 'Terra' could have originated from any number of sources. For all we know, Latin itself could be a debased form of Celestial (the RC church would LOVE that).

Also, all of this is in the context of the D&D Earth, not the real one - I ain't that NUTS.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  04:23:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If that IS the case, then it is ALL THE MORE LIKELY that he WAS a Chosen of Mystyl, and he or Mystryl setup a contingency so that he could "go on" in the event something should happen to her.

I don't see that. Having a dragon handy, and then having contingencies happen when magic came back online (because it couldn't have happened while the servers were down) doesn't mean he had anything special going on other than a bit of foresight.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  05:04:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Chosen of Mystryl, I recall the Ed tidbit from back in December '05 on the subject:-

" ... you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.

Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.

Heh heh heh.

love,
THO"

In other words, I don't think the case for the Terraseer as a Chosen of Mystryl is as clear-cut as we'd like to believe.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  00:28:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay:

One of Larloch's 'preoccupations' is keeping tabs on Halaster (who is older, and may be wiser, then he) ...
Halaster is older than Larloch? Source?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  04:10:35  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Markustay:

One of Larloch's 'preoccupations' is keeping tabs on Halaster (who is older, and may be wiser, then he) ...
Halaster is older than Larloch? Source?

Imaskar pre-dates Netheril, as is presumbaly outlined in The Grand History of the Realms and Lost Empires of Faerűn.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  07:43:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Older or not, the only thing Halaster can elicit from the Great Lich is a brief, curious pause - nothing more. Larloch is still far superior.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  08:09:33  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Older or not, the only thing Halaster can elicit from the Great Lich is a brief, curious pause - nothing more. Larloch is still far superior.

I think you'll find that issue to be highly objective: as impressive as the Warlock's Crypt is, it's hardly Undermountain. Halaster is also insane, and thus likely much more dangerous.

Very mildly spoilerish (concerning Halaster):it's a moot point, at any rate, as Halaster is dead.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  11:12:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

I think you'll find that issue to be highly objective: as impressive as the Warlock's Crypt is, it's hardly Undermountain. Halaster is also insane, and thus likely much more dangerous.

Even if Halaster were sane, I doubt he'd stand a chance against Larloch. He could not even slay Nergal, whom Larloch will have little problem disposing – be it in Hells or in Toril. Besides, didn't Ed mention that Larloch IS far more powerful than Halaster, sane or not?!

quote:

Very mildly spoilerish (concerning Halaster): it's a moot point, at any rate, as Halaster is dead.

He's dead - for now. Ed himself confirmed that. But don't expect he'd be dead forever, as Ed doesn't have the last say in everything about the Realms. WotC has always been fond of resurrecting characters and realms - both for plausible and ludicrous reasons.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  13:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if Halaster were sane, I doubt he'd stand a chance against Larloch. He could not even slay Nergal, whom Larloch will have little problem disposing – be it in Hells or in Toril. Besides, didn't Ed mention that Larloch IS far more powerful than Halaster, sane or not?!
I'll note that Halaster was "cured" of his insanity in Elminster in Hell -- Mystra removed Shar's influence from him. Shar had essentially made him insane because she exposed him to the use of the Shadow Weave and other ways that drove him to the point of becoming mentally unstable.

After Mystra cured him, and up to the time of his death, he was mostly sane. But we also knew that Halaster could slip back into his periods of insanity every now and then... but it was nothing compared to what he experienced before the purging of the influence from Shar.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  15:07:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll note that Halaster was "cured" of his insanity in Elminster in Hell -- Mystra removed Shar's influence from him. Shar had essentially made him insane because she exposed him to the use of the Shadow Weave and other ways that drove him to the point of becoming mentally unstable.

After Mystra cured him, and up to the time of his death, he was mostly sane. But we also knew that Halaster could slip back into his periods of insanity every now and then... but it was nothing compared to what he experienced before the purging of the influence from Shar.

I can't be certain if she really “cured” him. Here's a scene from Elminster in Hell:

quote:

"I have need of a task swiftly done," Mystra said. "A hard task, and one suited for a madman."
Halaster's lips lifted in what was almost a smile, and he asked, "If I live, will you give me sanity?"

"If I can."

"Will you give me magic enough to have a chance of succeeding?"

Mystra nodded.”"I will. Thrice as much power as you've ever tasted or wielded before, and more."

See the difference of her replies to Halaster's requests? She was certain she could and would give the mad wizard more magic, but not about her ability to make him sane again. When Halaster asked, "If I live, will you give me sanity?", she could have said “I will.” Instead, she said the noncommittal "If I can." So my theory is that her so-called cure to his insanity is nothing but temporary. Had Halaster lived after his confrontation with Nergal, the cure might have lasted for a month, a year, or a decade...But same thing: it is only temporary. Which reminds me of what “The Cure” (taken from Leech's power) from X-Men: The Last Stand. It only represses mutant power for a certain span of time – it never actually “cured” mutants, never rid them of their powers forever.

Maybe I should ask this to Ed...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  15:22:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need...

quote:
7. Like any long-lived mage, Halaster isn’t what most other mortals would call ‘normal,’ and never will be. However, Mystra did some major mental healing (that also involved binding Halaster more closely to her service), ‘offstage’ in the latter part of ELMINSTER IN HELL and thereafter. Halaster did NOT become a Chosen, but reached a ‘separate peace’ with her in return for serving her as an agent (in the events recounted in ELMINSTER IN HELL). He still has his ‘raving times,’ but they’re fewer, shorter, and less severe than before (i.e. he’s far more in touch with reality, and more cunning and less reckless whilst in the throes of them); most of the time he’s in complete control of himself - - and this is no longer governed by his location (in Undermountain or outside of it). That doesn’t mean he’s a ‘happy camper.’ For one thing, he’s both enraged and ashamed at how many years he’s wasted ‘drifting’ in sub-sanity, and is just climbing out of considering himself an utter failure and a rot-fungus on the face of Faerun and into deciding what he’ll devote the rest of his life to. Consider him a magical whirlwind that’s stopped spinning and is poised to decide what to do next. Tremble, Faerun, tremble.

and

quote:

Halkaster's problem was madness induced and exacerbated by Weave overload; he was trying to maintain too many wards and "hanging" spells (waiting to be triggered) and scrying ports and gates/portals - - at the same time as he suffered spell backlashes and mind damage from spell-duels. For a time he was just paranoid, then he was "wild-mad," and for a time thereafter he was sane inside Undermountain (i.e. within all his wards), but mad outside Undermountain. Then it became vice-versa.
In ELMINSTER IN HELL, Mystra didn't "cure" his insanity; she increased his Weave-handling ability by a LOT. Allowing him to recover control of himself.
So, Halaster would still be as whimsical/unpredictable to most humans as, say, Elminster is . . . but quite lucid and farsighted and cunning. He would still be paranoid - - and now able to travel freely and function freely wherever he was. Meaning he'd set out to see to "unfinished business" (like getting even with the Twisted Rune, and resuming all of his long-neglected projects outside Undermountain - - which include mending fences with some of his apprentices, moving to influence the rule of certain city-states and countries where he desires to operate, such as Amn and Tethyr, and take a few revenges on others besides the Rune).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  15:40:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wooly. I was about to post my rephrased query in QfE. Good thing I refreshed this page first to see what Sage is to say.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  15:49:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Halaster is also insane, and thus likely much more dangerous.

On the contrary, Halaster is more dangerous when SANE. The Twisted Rune managed to kidnap him because he was insane – and would never be able to (only in their dreams, that is) if he were otherwise. But as I said, sane or not, he'd still be no match against Larloch.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  23:46:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if Elminster, Larloch, Halaster, and the Terraseer are all different sides of the same coin?

Perhaps every goddess of Magic (in Realmspace) has found it wise to include a 'reboot switch'.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  00:46:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Wooly. I was about to post my rephrased query in QfE. Good thing I refreshed this page first to see what Sage is to say.

There's really not much more for me to say. Ed covered it pretty thoroughly, and that's good enough for me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  00:57:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What if Elminster, Larloch, Halaster, and the Terraseer are all different sides of the same coin?
Perhaps they were all Chosen of the Goddess of Mysteries -- with Halaster being the earliest model, and Elminster being the "newest." Only, it took those millennia for Mystryl/Mystra to perfect the process.
quote:
Perhaps every goddess of Magic (in Realmspace) has found it wise to include a 'reboot switch'.
I wouldn't at all be surprised. However, given the intimate connection both Mystryl/Mystra and Chauntea have with Toril, I suspect the use of the "reboot switch" follows a path somewhat similar to the launch of nuclear weapons from a US submarine. In other words, it requires finally authority from Ao, and both Mystryl/Mystra and Chauntea must agree -- to "turn the key" so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  03:58:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking in terms of the Weave, not the setting itself.

When the program crashes, someone needs to boot it back up. The only time you would need Ao is if there was a hardware problem ("Damn! Thats the second sun I've burned out... now I got to order another one!").

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  05:37:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's really not much more for me to say. Ed covered it pretty thoroughly, and that's good enough for me.

What I meant was I expected YOU to reply, and was surprised to read Wooly's instead. And I was more than content and thankful for his Ed-quoted reply.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  05:37:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps they were all Chosen of the Goddess of Mysteries -- with Halaster being the earliest model, and Elminster being the "newest." Only, it took those millennia for Mystryl/Mystra to perfect the process.

Sounds likely. But if it were really the case, it would appear like Mystra had been an irresponsible “Mother” to Halaster. If Halaster was her Chosen, how could she let him degenerate so much he became insane? She'd saved Elminster countless times. And if Larloch was her Chosen too, then she herself might have saved him from Netheril's Fall by showing him a vision of their empire's destruction. She saved the two, but not Halaster. Maybe because the mad mage is her least favorite. Or perhaps because he's not a Chosen at all...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000