Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Campaigns involving Shanatar & Wyrmskull Throne
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  03:15:26  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was curious if anyone has ever - in any edition - played a campaign involving dwarves reconquering Shanatar and/or reclaming the Wyrmskull Throne. As far as I can tell, it would make an interesting campaign arc or story taking place in multiple campaigns. For one, there are likely dangerous enemies (ancient monsters or powerful humanoids) that are a sufficient challenge, for, say an epic-level 3.X or 4th Edition class.

Me, I'm not as well known for crafting campaigns compared to my character stats and the like. I definitely don't DM and I've only played one trial 4th Edition game, so my feet are hardly wet gaming-wise. However, above all else, this would be something I'd hope to see done in some way, shape or form. Anyone have any experience with such?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  13:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done a bit with it, yes. I sort of sprang it on a player in one of my older campaigns. This was back in 2e, and he was running a Duergar Exile kit character. We'd worked out a backstory that he was a runaway duergar prince, so I decided to make him one of the sons of Olorn Ridagaur, of Underspires (I aged Olorn up significantly to do this, in canon he's barely an adult). That made him an actual blood descendent of Shanat.

Of course, this was a rather long-running campaign, whose players enjoyed, um, thrill-seeking. That's the best way to describe their four trips into Undermountain, and two to Myth Drannor, among others. So, being the kindly, nefarious DM I am, I ran them through the Undermountain: Lost Level adventure (tweaked some), which resulted in our duergar character becoming a shield dwarf.

Needless to say, Bapar and his group were rather astonished when in the struggle for the Throne this guy got thrown onto the seat, with the Alatorin Scepter out of the armrest, and the Usurper's Field didn't activate. Almost as astonished as my player. Hee hee.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  14:55:28  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

Me, I was thinking at least for 3.X Edition, it'd involve a Shield Dwarf or Gold Dwarf noble/royal child of some sort at first hoping to reconquer their ancient homeland, followed by campaigns entering further (south for a Shield Dwarf, or west for a Gold Dwarf) into the Underdark to retake kingdom after kingdom of Shanatar until all of Shanatar was back in the hands of dwarves.

I could also see Duergar being involved either as protagonists or antagonists, more likely the latter than the former. Besides them as antagonists, though, I'd likely see the following being obstacles for dwarven players:
- Beholders
- Mind Flayers, alongside any thralls or experiments they have made
- Other abberations
- Cloakers
- Dragons
- evil-aligned Stone Giants or Maurs
- Drow
- Derro
- Fiends or Outsiders, probably summoned by Drow, Duergar or Derro

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Surly Dwarf
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  08:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Surly Dwarf's Homepage Send Surly Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought a Shanatar based adventure would be great myself, not too keen on what they were heading towards with 4th ed.and the armieds of gold and steel though. The idea though of a powerful Shield Dwarf or Duergar taking back parts of Shanatar is a good 'un.
As for enemies, there is supposed to be a nest of Stingers (matzican weird ant dudes)in the kingdom of Xotharin under the Small Teeth mountains, the cloakers and drow in the south and every other underdark gribbly in between.
I think a fair amount of involvement with Iltkazar, the last known kingdom and possibly the unknown kingdom of the deep dwarves could make things interesting.

"Governing a large country is like boiling a small fish."
Lao Tzu
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  15:59:31  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dwarf-themed game that has just started is very much linked to Old Shanatar (both Deep- and High Shanatar). Based in Morndivver, part of former Sondarr, the game is likely going to feature visits to one or more of the abandoned kingdoms and with one of the PCs from Iltkazar, a trip to that place is very likely.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  19:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000