Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Advice on a story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aufidius
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  01:02:10  Show Profile  Visit aufidius's Homepage Send aufidius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

I'm sketching out an idea for a short story, and I want to ask something. I love writing and I have fallen for this wonderfully rich world that is the Forgotten Realms, only I probably lack the depth of 'lore' that many on here do. It's not that I haven't done my research, but I just haven't been into it long enough, or so I think.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. The basic set-up is this (and I know it sounds generic but there we go - first effort and all that): a human orphan called Caius has a tough time growing up. He's a scamp and only has one real friend, a halfing orphan called Joe. Together they've gone through thick and thin - nearest thing to brothers etc etc... but when Joe is killed in a street fight, everyone turns a blind eye. They're just orphans, rascals etc, and no-one really cares; the only person who supports Caius is the local Priest of Ilmater.

I wanted the Caius to try and join a Paladin Order of Ilmater - mainly because he doesn't display the wisdom or aptitude necessary to be a cleric. However, they reject him - stating he has to prove himself worthy to join given that he is most likely out for revenge; i.e. his obsession with finding Joe's killers blinds him from the true disposition Ilmater demands.

Anyway, here is where my questions come in: The Paladin Order of Ilmater are called the Companions of Noble Heart, correct? Where are they based, so I can locate my story in the world quite specifically? Also, is there a special term given to initiates, who want to become Paladins, but cannot do so yet?

Lastly, does all this sound plausible? I am fairly new to Forgotten Realms, so I am likely to make lore mistakes, but I want to avoid them if possible.

If anyone is interested in how the story will develop, the basic outline is: In terms of character, Caius struggles between the desire for revenge and the teachings of Ilmater; however, the cleric who first helped him becomes somewhat of a mentor, and helps him to overcome petty revenge. Joe's murderers turn out to be clerics of Asmodeus; it turns out Joe's father was a halfling ranger who slew one of their high priests long ago. Caius matures to become a paladin, and leads several of his new Order to fight the Asmodeus cultists, defeating a great evil.

Anyway, long post - I'll shut up. Basic feedback is very welcome, as is help with where to set it, and my other particular questions. I will not take any offence at criticism, so fire away. All advice is welcome and wanted.

Many, many Thanks..

Aufidius

"You common cry of curs! whose breath I hate
As reek o' the rotten fens, whose loves I prize
As the dead carcasses of unburied men
That do corrupt my air, I banish you;
And here remain with your uncertainty!
Let every feeble rumour shake your hearts!
Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes,
Fan you into despair! Have the power still
To banish your defenders; till at length
Your ignorance, which finds not till it feels,
Making not reservation of yourselves,
Still your own foes, deliver you as most
Abated captives to some nation
That won you without blows! Despising,
For you, the city, thus I turn my back:
There is a world elsewhere. "

Coriolanus. III.iii

Edited by - aufidius on 20 Jul 2010 01:55:08

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  02:06:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds plausible to me, and Ilmater has not gotten enough pub inwritten fiction if you as me.

Good luck! And I have heard of the Holy Order of Suffering as an Ilmater based paladin order.

But if i remember right, Ilmater has almost as many Paladin orders as Tyr.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Jul 2010 02:07:58
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  02:11:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given you've got a halfling in the mix, your story is best set in Tethyr/Calimshan. The city of Keltar has a famous temple to Ilmater there and I'd recommend that you look at the book "Prayers From the Faithful" and the write up of Dornavver, "Demombane" in "Champions of Valor" for some extra info/inspiration.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  02:12:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this, not much but could be helpful:

The Companions of the Noble Heart is an order of paladins that operates out of Cormyr, Sembia and the lands around the Dragonmere. The Companions use the red rose as their symbol to show their devotion. All their individual devices contain a red rose somewhere. The rose represents heart blood that the Companions are willing to shed for their beliefs. The order is more political than martial, but it does see action defending Ilmatari and their homelands.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

aufidius
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  02:14:59  Show Profile  Visit aufidius's Homepage Send aufidius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both, very helpful and interesting. I'll be sure to look up your info - especially the setting of Keltar, and if there is one of the Paladin orders connected to the area... cheers!

"You common cry of curs! whose breath I hate
As reek o' the rotten fens, whose loves I prize
As the dead carcasses of unburied men
That do corrupt my air, I banish you;
And here remain with your uncertainty!
Let every feeble rumour shake your hearts!
Your enemies, with nodding of their plumes,
Fan you into despair! Have the power still
To banish your defenders; till at length
Your ignorance, which finds not till it feels,
Making not reservation of yourselves,
Still your own foes, deliver you as most
Abated captives to some nation
That won you without blows! Despising,
For you, the city, thus I turn my back:
There is a world elsewhere. "

Coriolanus. III.iii
Go to Top of Page