Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Scythes in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  16:33:27  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

I was wondering is scythes were actually used as a martial weapon in some region/city of Faerun. I know Chauntea and Jergal have it as favored weapons, so maybe their fighter followers?

I'm asking because I realize that a scythe is actually a peasant tool, and not a weapon per se. Can anyone actually fight decently with a scythe? kinda hard to imagine, without the wielder ending up cutting off his own leg.

In 2nd ed, scythes were horrible. In 3.0, they were better, but needed a feat to wield (exotic weapon). In 3.5, they are martial weapon! Just like a longsword or a battle axe... feels weird. Is it the same in 4th ed?

Thanks.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  16:39:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scythe as a weapon often was an altered version of the farming tool. Am improvised weapon by changing configuration of the tool.

As to edition rules changes, I pass on that.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  16:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe

This is what a realistic scythe would look like. A slashing polearm. Generally speaking, it was just made by reattaching the blade in line with the pole.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  17:02:22  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, though if you look at the scythe pic in the Player's handbook 3.5 (p.115), it is clearly a farmer's tool, with its curved blade, held sideway to cut low. Doesn't make much sense in a fight, at least compared to a sword.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  17:21:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the heightened level of tech in FR (and in fantasy worlds in-general), one can assume the scythe blade is detachable, and peasant-militia keep the long pole handy for when they need to swap them (In their homes, or barn, next to the farming scythe itself).

Not historically accurate, but it works in a game.

As for it being an 'exotic' or 'Martial' weapon, I allow everyone a 'preferred weapon' (harkening back to 2e), which could be anything, so a farmer could wield his scythe with proficiency. Just as a butcher could use a Cleaver, a blacksmith his Hammer, or a town drunk use a broken bottle. Back in my day (my Grognard is slipping), we didn't have rules for everything, so we had to oft-times use common sense to rule on stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2010 17:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  17:29:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Right, though if you look at the scythe pic in the Player's handbook 3.5 (p.115), it is clearly a farmer's tool, with its curved blade, held sideway to cut low. Doesn't make much sense in a fight, at least compared to a sword.

Who trust pictures?

Artistic renditions often conflict with the printed content. This clearly has occurred in FR and D&D, it also occurs for many other books. Cover art is to sell a book, pictures inside the book at times can be a result of not reading the contend correctly.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:32:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, the Scythe doesn't have rules in 4e. If I were to create one, I'd make it a simple melee weapon, +2 proficiency bonus, and deal 2d4 damage. It would be a pole-arm and heavy blade property with a high critical. Just throwing it out there.

Edited by - Diffan on 19 Jul 2010 18:34:08
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:48:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the 4e rules connect 'to hit' with critical-chance, the way 3e did?

I still have trouble with that, but I guess the combat should remain abstract for playability. As much as I loved the critical tables in Arm's Law, those rules were unwieldy and practically unplayable.

But I've played worse.

You know, now that I think about it, the lack of proficiency may have been intentional, to represent the weapons poor combat ability. You give it a negative modifier, and then give it a large crit chance for those rare times when it does connect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
731 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless of course you're Death or Susan. And I don't think they ever roll a d20, but rather take 20 for scythe-based combat rolls.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  19:05:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Do the 4e rules connect 'to hit' with critical-chance, the way 3e did?

Not really understanding what you mean but maybe your talking about the confirmation hit? After rolling the crit-chance, you then have to re-roll to confirm the crit? In any case, no in 4e if you roll a natural d20 on an attack the attack auto-matically deals Max damage. Meaning if your wielding a longsword and the exploit deals 2(W) + Str modifier (and say your Str mod is +5) then it would deal 21 damage instantly. d8x2+5 = 21.

Then additional effects come into play such as magic weapons that deal extra damgae die (flaming weapons deal +1d8 fire damage per plus of the enhancement bonus, ie +3 flaming longsword on a crit would deal an extra +3d6 fire damage).

A High crit property allows for the weapon to deal an extra damage die of the weapon. So a high crit Scythe (normally deals 2d4 dmg) on a crit would deal another 2d4 damage. But I can't remember if you actually roll the additional damage or not?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  19:09:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh....

I find myself liking the 4e method.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  19:27:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ugh....

I find myself liking the 4e method.

I find it better myself than 3.x version. I mean, confirm crits? Really? Plus the weapon used indicates it's power as it deals extra damage such as minorly enchanted weapons (+1, +2) vs. highly enchanted weapons (+4, +5).

Edited by - Diffan on 19 Jul 2010 19:46:49
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  20:29:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention that x3 and x4 multiplier allowed high level fighters/barbarians to score ridiculous amount of damage in a single hit. I use the 4th ed critical version in my 3.5 campaign.

But back to topic (I do not mind the side-topic, but I wonder if someone can answer that part): Anyone knows a region which have groups/cults/clans who use the scythe as a martial weapon?

Edited by - Kilvan on 19 Jul 2010 20:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  20:53:01  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mulhorandi like to use scythes, don't remember the source.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  21:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of us who GM in my gaming group no longer require our players to confirm critical hits.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  00:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a cleric fighter of Jergal once that wield a scythe. (House rules are that all Clerics get weapon prof, Weapon focus and weapon spec as free feats. (Level 4 for the spec). The war domain was changed to dealing higher critical damage that stacks with ether improved crit or keen. (which is funny, since we still allow keen and improved crit to stack. We figure that improved crit is just you've learn how to hurt more, and the magical powers of keen just magically cuts deeper. Not reason it shouldn't stack, and yeah, it means crits can be very high but that is fine with us. We're all happy with it).

I loved that guy. He wore a skull mask, was LN, and made it a point to find out whomever he had to kill, and record their names. He tried diplomacy more then killing, but it was mostly to make sure he knew who he or his family kills. He also was always ready to raise the dead, or turn them into undead as long as they were to further their causes, and made it a point to kill whom their enemies were.

Yeah, I did model him after Death, (With the skull mask, black cloak, and his love of his magical scythe.

I'll shutup now.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  02:56:53  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Yeah, I did model him after Death, (With the skull mask, black cloak, and his love of his magical scythe.

I have a feeling that you are not the only one who got inspired by the Grim Reaper. It may be the reason why the scythe has become much more powerful as the editions went, to please the players attracted by the coolness of the weapon.

That said, coolness is an important factor for most players, so no problem there.

Oh, and keen and Improved critical stack in your game? Gee, my dervish dual-wielding scimitar would be pleased. And no, it is not a drow! . Joke aside, if it works for you, don't stop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000