Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Cleric Quintet Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  09:05:09  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay,just got first book and was asking if anyone had or was reading and what they thought of it.

Thank you Arivia for your thoughts and sorry about that in wrong room, all my fault.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 16 Sep 2003 09:07:39

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  01:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent series of books

Ivan and Pikel are favorites
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  02:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I honestly thought that the Cleric series was better than the Drizzt series.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  04:17:04  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bellua Aeneus Lacerta said:Quote

Excellent series of books

Ivan and Pikel are favorites

Elf_Friend said:Quote
I honestly thought that the Cleric series was better than the Drizzt series.

William replys:I am surprized to hear that Elf_Friend.I am glad its a good series and I'm sure you do think it is better but may I ask why?
I am not saying your wrong but rather just curious to what makes it better in your opinion.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 17 Sep 2003 04:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  06:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And more good news.....

The Cleric Quintet is just that..5 books not 3....

They really ought to do more quintets.....they cover a lot more ground.....course, you also have to be a spectacular writer like RA Salvatore to keep one series running that long that spans such a short amount of time...

Good stuff, the Cleric Quintet....I love Danica...she rules.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

mikhel
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  06:09:41  Show Profile  Visit mikhel's Homepage Send mikhel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the series (especially in the omnibus edition, because you can read two books before realizing it), but I confess to enjoying the Drizzt series a bit better.

ummm...."I have nothing witty to say right now"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  17:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed a great series, each novel had a different flavor and feel to it. Loved it! And it gave me one of, if not "THE" most hated FR villain of all time for me...."Ghost"

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  20:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore brings up the characters of the quintet in the Drizzt series many times and Ivan and Pikel are in the Hunter Blades trilogy.
the newest one out in october

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  20:42:41  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ArionElenim said:QUOTE
And more good news.....
The Cleric Quintet is just that..5 books not 3....
They really ought to do more quintets.....they cover a lot more ground.....course, you also have to be a spectacular writer like RA Salvatore to keep one series running that long that spans such a short amount of time...
Good stuff, the Cleric Quintet....I love Danica...she rules.
William replys:
Good,I love a set of books that I can become lost in.I am a big Drizzt
fan but I guess I should finish this set before I comment on the best.

Rad Said:QUOTE
Indeed a great series, each novel had a different flavor and feel to it. Loved it! And it gave me one of, if not "THE" most hated FR villain of all time for me...."Ghost"
Haven't gotten far enough to meet "Ghost" but I shall be on the look out.Thanks,glad you loved it!I look foward to diving in for hours.I will have to admit that time has been limited and I am still in Chapter 1, "The White Squirrel's Pet" but mabye i'll get the whole set
in the next few days and have time to get lost in them.
*Hope everyone can follow my cut and paste quote and reply*
Got the idea from Sage who uses a similar method.(saves on making multiple posts.)

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 17 Sep 2003 20:45:15
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  05:22:54  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

Salvatore brings up the characters of the quintet in the Drizzt series many times and Ivan and Pikel are in the Hunter Blades trilogy.
the newest one out in october

but sorry Trafaldi you have given a good tidbit to look forward too.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes i cant wait until october, it will be interesting to see if Ivan and Pikel meet up with Bruenor and the others. If you haven't read about Drizzt's sitiuation i am not telling you.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  18:37:06  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

yes i cant wait until october, it will be interesting to see if Ivan and Pikel meet up with Bruenor and the others. If you haven't read about Drizzt's sitiuation i am not telling you.

Thanks,I appreciate that!!! I want to read for myself but thanks for the hint that makes it more interesting.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  21:55:35  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay book #1 is finished and I like the Drizzt series better too,but
Since the other books #2-#5 haven't arrived yet, I guess I should first wait until I have received and read them before I form an honest
opinion.I must agree with ArionElenim about Danica,I also like Cadderly.Maybe as I get into the 2nd book It will come to life more.
Never had a lot of time to just sit and read.Comments welcome,just
Please don't spoil it.

Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  12:17:11  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think that ivanand pikel are one of the best characters created by salvatore. it´s always amusing to read about these two chaotic dwarves. especially since pikel managed to access some druidic skills.

very amusing indeed.

even fantasy has it´s limits
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  00:45:45  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good news: I finally got the rest of The Cleric Quintet series.
Bad news: I got other books too including all 3 books of The Empires Trilogy.
I am going to finish The Cleric Quintet!!! And I did like Ivan and Pikel both but Danica and Cadderly seemed more real to me.Remember
though I have only just begun so we shall see.I may agree with you
100% before its over Fanatic.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  01:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this will probably make me grossly unpopular around here...but...

I'm not particularly crazy about Ivan and Pikel.....I think that they are extremely cartoonish...like caracatures instead of characters.

Anyone else?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  01:29:24  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

I know this will probably make me grossly unpopular around here...but...

I'm not particularly crazy about Ivan and Pikel.....I think that they are extremely cartoonish...like caracatures instead of characters.

Anyone else?

I'm not as brave as you but thats why I couldn't really relate to them
but I was hoping they might grow on me in the next 4 books.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  05:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really wasn't until Servant of the Shard that I could relate to Ivan and Pikel. Up until then, they just seem to be muscle and comic relief.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  23:48:19  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,I do hope they grow on me.I don't hate them but I don't know
how to explain it.
They don't fit in or something,I just can't relate with them!!

Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  12:42:32  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you don´t have to take them too serious, just imagine them quarreling in the eye of danger...

thats what makes them interresting.
they don´t take things too serious, but they solve their poroblems in their own way.

i like them quite much, easies up the whole story.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  19:18:43  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fanatic

you don´t have to take them too serious, just imagine them quarreling in the eye of danger...

thats what makes them interresting.
they don´t take things too serious, but they solve their poroblems in their own way.

i like them quite much, easies up the whole story.

They remind me more of Halflings sometimes than Dwarves, especially
Pikel.But maybe I will change my opinion as the story unfolds.
I do like the overall story so far.

Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  18:06:24  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can say that the bouldershoulder brothers are the most uncommon dwarfs around the realms.

especially pikel, with his druidic ambitions, and the somewhat unnormal mind.

well, you can´t like everybody.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  04:56:05  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is true that you can't like everybody as well as you can't please everybody.

Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  12:03:16  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so what is the great magic of writers such as salvatore, who write on best-seller after another???

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  00:25:05  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm,Can't answer for everyone but as for myself He captures the scene as well as any movie camera ever could;The world of Toril or at least some part of it is brought to life for me.
I guess the best person to answer this question is our own Bard and
good friend ArionElenim.He knows Salvatores works as well or better
than any and could probably explain on a much deeper level than I.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  15:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, I would have replied sooner, but (thanks to William of Waterdeep) my hugely swollen ego wouldn't fit through the door...

I think that the magic of Salvatore is originality. He has given us something that we have never seen before in the ranks of fantasy. Drizzt was born in the 80's - a time when He-Man/Conan/barbarian-esqe characters were (excuse the pun) all the rage. Drizzt fit a different model, one that has been often imitated since then, but never duplicated. Salvatore's drow are not really drow (Drizzt)...his dwarves are not really dwarves (Fredegar Rockcrusher/Quilldipper) - every character is an enigma unto their particular race - which makes Faerun a more realistic, richer world.

Secondly, the characters are deep and introspective. Salvatore wastes not one page in his descriptions - making it impossible not to feel as if you are there with the characters, as if you can smell the sewers as Entreri battles his nemesis or feel the wind on Bruenor's Climb.

I don't know - I think that it was the Cheers producer (a show of some note by a rove of traveling brigands in some OTHER realm ) that said: "The secret to success is to wake up very early, work very hard and strike oil." I think that Salvatore must simply have a knack with a pickaxe as well as with the pen.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  02:11:50  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See what I mean fanatic and he's modest too.I wasn't trying to flatter
you my Bard friend, only relaying honest observations.
I am sure most will agree with me after reading your post.
Thank you.

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 09 Oct 2003 02:12:52
Go to Top of Page

spikeyhairedone
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  22:34:43  Show Profile  Visit spikeyhairedone's Homepage Send spikeyhairedone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Cleric quintet kicks ass, it is in my top 3 series of FR novels ever. But saying that I only own about 60 of the novels. Enjoy

Hello, Hello, what's all that shouting we'll have none of that trouble here.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  06:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't quite finished reading the series but I like it so far. The storyline is original, none of that recycled and spat out stuff you get when reading different novels with similar themes and plots. And the characters too are very unique which brings life to the story. (I love the bit where the bouldershoulder brothers are trying to make a trap by putting a boulder on an overhanging tree limb.) I like the humourous relief that Salvatore brings into the story through the dwarves and Druzil, otherwise it gets a bit too drab and serious for my likings.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  10:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS!!
I have just finished reading the series. It's a little sad at the end how everyone dies, well almost everyone and that Danica and Cadderly's time together is shortened.

There's one thing that gets me a bit confused is that Danica doesn't turn into a vampire after she has been bitten. Sure that Danica can control her heart and be in suspended animation but her art doesn't protect her from being a vampire. I don't really know the theory behind the workings of vampirism but I do know that once a vampire takes a bit of blood from a person they inturn become a vampire (unless all the blood is drained in which they become zombies). So this is my theory and jump in if I'm wrong... if the vampire takes a bit but not all of the blood from you then the vampire transmits through the bite, enzymes or virus that turns you into one. Danica being already bitten would have the virus/enymes circulating in her system and she would eventually become a vampire. Eventhough her heart was stopped it does not protect her from becoming undead as there is nothing to stop the virus/enzymes from spreading in her body. So as in the novel, how does she not become a vampire?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Nov 2003 17:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  17:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lina!! remember to put a SPOILER warning atop such scrolls when revealing the events of the tome so as not to catch readers unaware.

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll