Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Cleric Quintet Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  22:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
S P O I L E R
. S P O I L E R
.. S P O I L E R
... S P O I L E R
.... S P O I L E R
..... S P O I L E R
...... S P O I L E R
....... S P O I L E R
........ S P O I L E R
......... S P O I L E R
.......... S P O I L E R

That enough for you, Alaundo?

Lina, their time might not be so short as it may seem . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  22:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

S P O I L E R
. S P O I L E R
.. S P O I L E R
... S P O I L E R
.... S P O I L E R
..... S P O I L E R
...... S P O I L E R
....... S P O I L E R
........ S P O I L E R
......... S P O I L E R
.......... S P O I L E R

That enough for you, Alaundo?

Lina, their time might not be so short as it may seem . . . .

Hmmmf, the cheek of some scribes, they get five gold stars and think they can be smart!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  23:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems more like fool's gold.

::hears the creaking of a wheelbarrow outside the door::

Er -- a hard-working fool!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  08:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Lina!! remember to put a SPOILER warning atop such scrolls when revealing the events of the tome so as not to catch readers unaware.

Thank ye

Thanks Alaundo, I'll try and remember next time.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  19:59:57  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cleric quintet is a great set of books, especially after pikel becomes a doodad. i read all of them and all of the drizzt books all of salvatores works are great.

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  02:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im on the fourth book ,and like Bob Salvatore says on the back, it is better than the Drizzt series( i mean speaking about Drizzt and Catti-bree) .Just watch out for that ghost it may getcha...

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  03:01:52  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not quite sure on this but heres my theory on the dianica being bittin thing...im pretty sure this is why she didnt become a vamp:
Polymorphic hemophilia(vampirism) is a disease that is transmitted in the bloodstream. if dianica has control over her body to such a degree that she can push poisons out of her system(such as when druzuil stung her with his tail)...then why couldnt she push out or at least stem the blood flow to that certain area of her body to remove or stunt the movement of the disease? that is my only explination.

-Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  05:18:06  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also don't monks become immune to supernatural diseases at some point. Not so experienced with the monk class since I dislike it somewhat. Too Asian-oriented for a more Western-medieval-oriented setting.
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  06:08:24  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Origianl posted by Arion Elenim
quote:
Secondly, the characters are deep and introspective. Salvatore wastes not one page in his descriptions - making it impossible not to feel as if you are there with the characters, as if you can smell the sewers as Entreri battles his nemesis or feel the wind on Bruenor's Climb.

I agree with you Arion, it`s something about the way he describes things. When i frist started read the Clerical Quintet i was reading one book every day. i could not get enough of the characters and the story.

Ivan and Pikle is just so funny and they made me laugh out aloud all the time .

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]

Edited by - Naroon Shimmerflow on 17 Jan 2004 06:09:55
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  22:56:41  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stop what you are doing and read them all now!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

Okay,just got first book and was asking if anyone had or was reading and what they thought of it.

Thank you Arivia for your thoughts and sorry about that in wrong room, all my fault.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  05:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read all of them, one per week, while having to "babysit" my elderly grandfather while his older daughter ran errands. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them! :D The fact that the "innocent" Cadderly grew up (in a sense) from the first novel through to the last and having to face the last person he wanted to meet.......... (hint: think Star Wars original trilogy)

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  17:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just being bitten by a vampire doesn't mean that you become a vampire, being bitten by a were-creature on the other hand does (or at least has a 99.98% chance).

To become a free-will vampire, the vampire must bite you, and then you must drink some of the vampire's blood. Basically every text that refers to vampirism happens when they partake of each other's blood. If you are drained dry by a vampire, you become a vampire under that vampire's control, with no free-will.

Look at characters like Jander Sunstar. He had to kill his master to get free will.

At least this is what I believe. Therefore seeing that Danicia wasn't "sucked dry" or partook of Rufo's blood, she did not become a vampire. Just had a couple of holes in the neck.

By the way, good series but I thought book 2 to an extent and book 3 laboured a bit. The rest were smooth sailing and quite enjoyable. An unfortunate stereotypical use of dwarves as comedy relief.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  03:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malaug

Just being bitten by a vampire doesn't mean that you become a vampire, being bitten by a were-creature on the other hand does (or at least has a 99.98% chance).

To become a free-will vampire, the vampire must bite you, and then you must drink some of the vampire's blood. Basically every text that refers to vampirism happens when they partake of each other's blood. If you are drained dry by a vampire, you become a vampire under that vampire's control, with no free-will.

Look at characters like Jander Sunstar. He had to kill his master to get free will.

At least this is what I believe. Therefore seeing that Danicia wasn't "sucked dry" or partook of Rufo's blood, she did not become a vampire. Just had a couple of holes in the neck.

By the way, good series but I thought book 2 to an extent and book 3 laboured a bit. The rest were smooth sailing and quite enjoyable. An unfortunate stereotypical use of dwarves as comedy relief.

I'd have to disagree on your view of why Danica isn't a vampire. If she was sucked dry then she would have become a zombie. I myself am puzzled why she didn't become a vampire when she was bitten and part of her blood drained.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  00:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's just sheer "monkish willpower" that keeps her from becoming one.

And I find it funny that Ivan and Pikel can "sneak up" on something while having one of their drawn-out brawls.....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Aeriden Raven
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  10:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Aeriden Raven's Homepage Send Aeriden Raven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS
Warning! Some spoilers ahead for those who have not yet read (all of) the Cleric Quintet

Ok, here goes

I just finished the Quintet last night, but had unfortunately already been spoiled by this thread a couple of weeks ago about the whole Danica vampire thing.

I really liked it a lot, although towards the end I got a little tired of all the fighting scenes. However, these books really turned me 180 degrees around when monks are concerned. I never liked them, too oriental, too "not fantasy" ,no cool weapons to fight with, just the lame shurigen every now and then. I had a very bad sterotyped view of the monk (I think this was partly due to a campaign in which someone played quite an annoying monk). But Danica changed all this.

I've always been a rogue person, and above all I prefer elven rogues. Their grace, elegance and innate affection for magic are for me a perfect combination. When Danica appeared in the books I was immediately won over, by her elegant fighting style, her nimbleness and her mind control. I'm actually thinking of playing a monk now, something I thought would never occur to me. She is definitely one of my favorite FR characters so far. I never realised this was what a monk could look like!

What I also liked about the books was the character development. Maybe because these were five books there was more time to develop them properly. Alignment isn't such a rigid thing, Rufo going evil and Dorigen coming to the right path, it al made perfect human sense.

I did find the whole Darth Vader thing a bit annoying though, but apart from that the books had a really original story line.

Well, there's more where that came from, but I can't think of anything more to wite at the moment, maybe later.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  11:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite enjoyed the series more than id expected to. Each novel took a different flavor which kept me reading. I particulary liked Night Masks...its a novel ill never forget as it gave me my all-time most hated villain

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Aeriden Raven
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  12:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Aeriden Raven's Homepage Send Aeriden Raven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I particularly liked the scene in which Ghost comes to "life" again, that was just disgusting.

I was wondering where I can read about Danica giving birth to twins? In the Legacy perhaps? That's what I'll read next, so I keep my hopes up
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  15:58:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

quote:
Originally posted by Malaug

I'd have to disagree on your view of why Danica isn't a vampire. If she was sucked dry then she would have become a zombie. I myself am puzzled why she didn't become a vampire when she was bitten and part of her blood drained.

Lina, no offense, but at least in D&D terms, Malaug is correct. In fact, most modern vampire lore says the same thing. Simply being bitten by a vampire won't do anything other than leave a person with a little less blood. A person has to be totally drained to later rise as a vampire.

In both D&D and some vampire novels, there are vampires who exist without killing their victims. They'll find a person in some dark alley, take a couple of swigs, and then move on. The person later wakes up weak, but they still wake up and remain among the living.

Back on topic... I, myself, rather enjoyed the Cleric Quintet. It's been a while since I read it, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000