Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Faerunian Weapons of Legacy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  16:11:46  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just recently bought a copy of Weapons of Legacy, and I really like the premise. Magic weapons that scale that scale with the characters if they perform certain legacy quests related to the weapons, to unlock additional powers.

Are there or have there ever been any "official" legacy weapons?

Edit: What if any existing weapons do you think would be good fits as Legacy weapons?

I think that Demron's Bane Blades could fill in quite admirably as Legacy weapons.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 27 May 2010 16:54:35

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  17:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know (and can find with my Search-Fu), there were no official conversions/creations of Realms-specific weapons of legacy.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:07:47  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talshara springs immediately to mind, and the baneblades are good choices as you point out, Tamsar. I also like and use legacy items in my game, though I don't make ppl take feats to upgrade them, I just set up appropriate story lines to upgrade them;i.e., a warrior wearing a suit of legacy armor finds out that it makes him immune to fire, but this sort of power isn't activated until he's breathed on by a red dragon of a certain age.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know of at least one official Legacy item, I have a feeling I read more somewhere, I will have to keep an eye open for them. Page 214 of Expedition to Undermountain details the Crown Adamant as an official legacy item for the Realms.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:45:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll agree with KotG, the Baneblades are excellent candidates; I'll have to refresh my memory on Talshara, tho.

I think that another good candidate is found in Undermountain: the greatsword Flame of the North. Its powers as described make it a great lower-level acquisition, but it could easily be added to as its wielder advances, and it has the right kind of detailed write-up for a legacy item as well.

I also like how you handle activation of powers, KotG... there are enough feats out there to fill your character's slots with; legacy items are the kind of thing that's best handled in story and game anyway. I'll be using that when I get back behind the DM screen.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:46:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*cough*Moonblades*cough*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  19:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much, IMO. Moonblades have their own mechanic that's intimately tied with their backstory, though if you wanted to call them generational legacy items, I wouldn't have too much difficulty with that. But the idea of a moonblade is that it gets stronger the more people in the family have used it, not how strong the current wielder is.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  20:45:35  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, any multi-powered item *can* be a legacy item. Each player in my group has one item that is effectively leveling with them. The Paladin has a sunblade that started out(@ 10th level) as a +2 undead bane bastard sword that could use a light spell 1/day and went up from there. The Wizard has a staff that is basically becoming a Staff of Power as it grows in might.
And Jakk, I'm glad you like it (my feat-less legacy item use, that is). I just felt that using the feats made the fighters overpowered as compared to the other classes in that regard, not to mention that as feats are the primary form of character customization in 3.x, I thought it limited character development.
The OTHER endto legacy weapons is that you can give a mucho-uber item to a BBEG and when the PCs get it, it's weaksauce.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  20:51:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Not so much, IMO. Moonblades have their own mechanic that's intimately tied with their backstory, though if you wanted to call them generational legacy items, I wouldn't have too much difficulty with that. But the idea of a moonblade is that it gets stronger the more people in the family have used it, not how strong the current wielder is.

You know... I agree with you totally, Hoondatha, but what about a variant Moonblade? A Champion Moonblade? When the elves need a champion (as they so often do) maybe one of the inactive moonblades (or a different type of weapon altogether)can be given to a champion of great worth, and that champion can (if they be of strong heart, etc.) unlock generations of powers in one lifetime?
FWIW, I tend to think of Legacy items in my game as constructs of certain societies, such as the Flowering-era elves, the Sarrukh, and the Imaskari (I leave out the Netherese, as they had little interest in 'real' magic items once Mythallar were innovated).

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  21:00:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that the Moonblades are great Legacy weapons. Though the powers come over generations, each owner has to unlock them for themselves, PLUS adding a new power to it. The fact that they have to remain within a certain family, and kill non-elven owners, or those not from the right family, keeps them from becoming TOO powerful.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  21:08:24  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I would think that the Moonblades are great Legacy weapons. Though the powers come over generations, each owner has to unlock them for themselves, PLUS adding a new power to it. The fact that they have to remain within a certain family, and kill non-elven owners, or those not from the right family, keeps them from becoming TOO powerful.

The idea behind the Legacy Items is that they gain multiple powers as the possessor learns to 'unlock' them. They are great thematically and because you can have a mid- or high-level character who can say 'I've had this sword since I took it off that Hobgoblin Chieftain' rather than selling a (once highly-prized) +1 sword when he finds or can afford a +2. It allows a DM to give a great backstory to a given item and for a player to really value that item, even 10 levels after they obtained it.
I point this all out because moonblades don't work that way: When a wielder is accepted by a given MB, that wielder has access to all the blade's powers, all at once. Most 'modern' (i.e. 1350's era or later Moonblades have had at least a half-dozen or more owners. As such, they have scads of powers, and are too powerful for low-level PCs.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  21:38:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

The idea behind the Legacy Items is that they gain multiple powers as the possessor learns to 'unlock' them. They are great thematically and because you can have a mid- or high-level character who can say 'I've had this sword since I took it off that Hobgoblin Chieftain' rather than selling a (once highly-prized) +1 sword when he finds or can afford a +2. It allows a DM to give a great backstory to a given item and for a player to really value that item, even 10 levels after they obtained it.
I point this all out because moonblades don't work that way: When a wielder is accepted by a given MB, that wielder has access to all the blade's powers, all at once. Most 'modern' (i.e. 1350's era or later Moonblades have had at least a half-dozen or more owners. As such, they have scads of powers, and are too powerful for low-level PCs.

Not necessarily. Arilyn did not know all the powers her moonblade held, she discovered some of them over time.

That's my point on this. It doesn't necessarily mean that the user can't use the powers in the legacy item, just that they don't know they are there.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  22:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arilyn is a unique case in many different ways and shouldn't be used as a basis for comparing other moonblade wielders. She got the blade as a fluke, after alienating the rest of her family. I'm sure any one of them (especially Amlaruil) could have told her exactly what all the powers were, if she wanted to. The same would be the case in virtually all other situations.

The other problem with using a moonblade as a weapon of legacy is what happens if you have a moonblade that's never been used by anyone? Plenty of gold elven families have blades that have never been used, it's at least possible one of them could pass to the family's first moon elven member ever and judge them worthy. But no matter how powerful they become, that blade is only ever going to have one power: the one they eventually give to it. That's completely wrong for a weapon of legacy.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 27 May 2010 22:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  13:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There can easily be a debate as to wether or not Moonblades are or aren't Legacy items. Mechanically they have never been statted as Legacy items as per the Weapons of Legacy rulebook. However, it would probably be a much better system for them, and I would definately adapt them as such. Of course everyone may do as they please.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  13:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So characters must take the feats to unlock the powers? I always read in that book if they do those quests, pray and give up the amount of gold they get that feat free rather then using that one every three levels.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  14:10:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

So characters must take the feats to unlock the powers? I always read in that book if they do those quests, pray and give up the amount of gold they get that feat free rather then using that one every three levels.

The quests/prayer/gold is the fluff requisite for taking the feat. If you don't have a feat slot, you're not going to be able to get it for free.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  14:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are you talking about? Page 8 and 9, under Legacy Rituals. Under 9 it flat out states

A legacy item's wielder who completes a given ritual immediately gains a bonus legacy feat: Least Leagacy, Lesser Legacy, or greater legacy. Nowhere does it say that character must use their own feats, they are BONUS feats, much like what monks get at some levels, the wizard gets for metamagic, etc etc.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:00:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What are you talking about? Page 8 and 9, under Legacy Rituals. Under 9 it flat out states

A legacy item's wielder who completes a given ritual immediately gains a bonus legacy feat: Least Leagacy, Lesser Legacy, or greater legacy. Nowhere does it say that character must use their own feats, they are BONUS feats, much like what monks get at some levels, the wizard gets for metamagic, etc etc.

Oops... Sorry 'bout that. I'm away from my books at the moment and got it confused with the UA Legendary weapons.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done that too Ashe. But I was also bringing it up to others who seem to think the feats are required to use them.

I had an argument with the roleplaying game orderer at Powells bookstore, because he thought players had to take the feats, I pointed that out and his eyes bulge.

Personally alot the abilities are meh. I like the story aspects of it, but to force players to take the feats to use them is stupid. That's likely why Wizards made them bonus feats. They are still costly GP wise, (and I really don't enforce that as it is. I just make it quests harder to do, and only some GP cost)

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  16:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've done that too Ashe. But I was also bringing it up to others who seem to think the feats are required to use them.

I had an argument with the roleplaying game orderer at Powells bookstore, because he thought players had to take the feats, I pointed that out and his eyes bulge.

Personally alot the abilities are meh. I like the story aspects of it, but to force players to take the feats to use them is stupid. That's likely why Wizards made them bonus feats. They are still costly GP wise, (and I really don't enforce that as it is. I just make it quests harder to do, and only some GP cost)

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of having to sacrifice something in exchange for some abilities of the weapons (-1 attack and so forth)....but meh, still intersting idea.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  18:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. I think the idea is interesting, though I'd prefer it more tied to the weapon itself rather than the power of the wielder. But as it stands right now the drawbacks are way too high to justify using a WoL.

It's been a while since I've read the Earthdawn game books, but I much preferred their method of dealing with legendary weapons. First you had to learn its name and history, what built its legend, and then you had to recreate certain key moments in its history. Each feat was harder to do, so would naturally come later, but if you were really ambitious (or really lucky) you could unlock the more powerful abilities at lower circles (ED's version of levels). And each time you activated the next level you gained XP, you didn't lose it. Or hit points, or BAB, or anything else. That's a much better way of handling WoL, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:19:42  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about the Darkswords used by the Moor Eagle clan of Vaasa, forged for then generations ago by Melvaunt Tanthul

not sure if they count as it's been awhile since i read the RotA trilogy

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And how I'd like the weapon of legacy with sentience enough to talk. I would like to have such weapon that could give directions about how to make it stronger. Of course it would be dangerous to go on leash of every cursed sword though.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  07:36:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

And how I'd like the weapon of legacy with sentience enough to talk. I would like to have such weapon that could give directions about how to make it stronger. Of course it would be dangerous to go on leash of every cursed sword though.

Just remember: Be careful what you wish for.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  10:03:14  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! I had forgotten about that one.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  11:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the mention of a weapon from Baldur's Gate II, Talshara, or at least I think I remember it from that game. Would Carsomyr be a weapon that would be a good idea as a weapon of legacy? It's the holy avenger that's saved by the PC from the red dragon Firkraag.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 30 May 2010 11:10:15
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  11:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that. What I want is truly intelligent sword with good or neutral lawful alignment. Know any, aside from Holy Avenger?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Namarra a good sword? There was the Sword of Three Thousand Dreams or something in PGtF and an ancient Imaskarian LN sword there too.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  20:14:52  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're thinking of One Thousand broken Dreams, a Drowbane rapier detailed in MoF. IIRC, it is not intelligent, not are most Holy Avengers, BTW, Sill.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  18:30:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, wonder if El's staff would count....?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000