Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Characters from other books/games/films etc
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  09:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What do you think about bringing your favourite characters from other books/films/games into FR? Do you have any that you would like to see, that you have an idea about?
Zireael

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 11 May 2010 09:34:47

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  09:54:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could always use some, like Cugel the Clever, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, a Farmer character or even Harold Shae (or any minor characters from books of course), as a one-of In a game, but I would most likely never do it as most of the people I play with would have no idea who these characters were anyway, so what's the point. In a game with my wife it could work, but I think it would put to much pressure on me as a GM as she has a hell of a lot better memory than me.

But the idea does fit well with the Realms as a meeting place of Gates and Portals from many worlds. Unfortunately, with the exception of a Newhon ghoul this aspect of the Realms has been de-emphasised since they were first published.

Edited by - Jorkens on 12 May 2010 10:19:36
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  12:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had/seen non-realmsian NPCs and the like do cameo's in past games, but I've never seen any book or film characters, AFAIK. There have been the obligatory halflings with rings of invisibility and such like, of course, but no names.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but I can't really think of anyone to name drop or cameo...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  19:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once played a human noble/monk from Athkatla, that had max skill ranks in move silently, hide, intimidate. I somehow managed to get three 18s, that went to STR, CON, and INT. I had 2 16s, and they went to dex and wisdom. My charisma was like 14 I think. I had to wear a mask because I didn't want people knowing who I am. Had to wear a ring against divination. I had to outsmart all the scums on the street, and used alot of gadgets.

Then I got slain by an elf.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  20:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Named Chuck Norris, by any chance? :p

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  22:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I AM BATMAN!"

Is where my mind went after reading the description.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:05:40  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Characters from other (A)D&D settings have turned up in my FR games (a version of Raistlin, and several Planescape and Spelljammer NPCs). I've never used characters from other media (books, movies, television) as they were, but there are several NPCs which are close derivatives from the following characters: Indiana Jones, the Shadows (of Babylon 5 fame), Melnibonéans (Michael Moorcock), Batman, Sherlock Holmes, and some others. They were given more Realmsian names and backgrounds, but the essential traits remained the same...
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's no secret I'm a major Batman lover. But I so rarely get to play as a player, that the DM just let me have my little Batman fantasy in DnD. I'm thankful for that.

Not thankful for a invisible rogue that had true strike on him, then rolled a natural twenty twice, but didn't get the death hit. Then rolled max damaged. 58 points of damage with the comp bow and sneak attack, and it also had like other spells on it that the DM never told me. But it ended up dealing about 80 points of damage. I only had about 40 at the time of attack.

Oh well. The players made me DM again, so it's going to be a few more years before I get to game again.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  00:01:29  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used a lot of favourite characters for various NPC personalities (altered names and abilities). They were eccentric types, so that they are memorable. It saves your time significantly. Dislike the idea of a character arriving from another world cause that would change most of them, except Cugel.

some examples from fantasy

George Martin's Syrio, Tormund Giantsbane, the Brave Companions, Jaqen H'ghar, Joe Abercrombie's inquisitor Glokta, Bakker's Cnaiur urs Skiotha, Vance's Madouc, Gaiman's Vandemar and Croup, Feist's Nakor, Bobby and the mad king, Pratchet's Watch, Bester's Foyle, Wagner's Kane, Erikson's Karsa Orlong, Lady Envy, Bugg and Tehol, Lermontov's Pechorin (Sharran) etc.

from film/tv

characters from spaghetti westerns were the pcs favourite, Tuco for a bandit type, and Coburn's character in Giu la Testa for a half-goblin sapper, also one of the players was obsessed with the detective guy from Twin Peaks, and I used Allen's Zelig for an npc that some wizards wanted to experiment on

from games

the nameless one in planescape torment

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  00:28:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never gotten to DM... But one random thing I always wanted to do: have the characters in some deep, dark, unfriendly place, like Undermountain. They're creeping along, being cautious... And suddenly three small, child-sized critters, covered in black fur with white faces, come scampering by, accompanied by crazy music. The one with a flower on her head stops and kisses a random PC, and if there's any attractive females in the group, the other two critters sing "Hellooooo, nurse!" before running off. Moments later, an overweight man in a strange uniform runs by, in pursuit of those three strange critters.

Is it obvious I've seen too much Animaniacs?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  01:02:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, just remembered this bit... It's specific to Spelljammer, but it's prolly not too difficult to adapt to the Realms.

In the article "Rough Times on Refuge", in Dragon 159, Ed himself provided a way for the PCs to be able to encounter just about anything. From page 11 of that magazine:

quote:
The reason that Below is dangerous is because the Arcane have a sophisticated base there that they don't want anyone to find. They regularly stock Below with nasty roaming monsters gleaned from hundreds of worlds to discourage both snooping and settlement (DM's note: Everything from cartoon characters to modern soldiers can confront PCs on Below, which is covered with dense tropical jungles and shallow seas.)

I've also pondered dropping a BattleMech into the Realms (as something to be fought, not controlled, by the PCs). I did, in one of my Lords of Waterdeep articles, bring a FedSuns MechWarrior to the Realms, but he came without a Mech, and doesn't remember his past. And he was a made-up character, not someone from BT canon.

I've also given some thought to bringing in, as an NPC, a 40K Space Marine. His power armor doesn't work, but it's been stripped of electronics and magically modified, so it serves many of the same functions. He's still got a few bolter shots, but he's saving those for special occasions. Oh, and he's decided that Torm and the Emperor are one in the same, and become a priest of Torm.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 May 2010 01:03:03
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  08:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I've used a lot of favourite characters for various NPC personalities (altered names and abilities). They were eccentric types, so that they are memorable. It saves your time significantly. Dislike the idea of a character arriving from another world cause that would change most of them, except Cugel.

That's what I do too. My latest ideas were Prince of Persia (self-explanatory) and Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars.

@ above: BattleMech in Realms... makes me drool...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  08:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SelazaR

I want to make a vampire character like a main character of Legacy of Kain series. But such person is hard to adapt to FR.

OOps! Wrong account.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  08:40:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

It's no secret I'm a major Batman lover. But I so rarely get to play as a player, that the DM just let me have my little Batman fantasy in DnD. I'm thankful for that.
We already kinda have a Batman-type character in the Realms, though. Khelben!

Here's a few of Steven Schend's more memorable "Khelben is/as Batman" references that should help along this discussion:-

"Khelben as Batman/"darker hero" to Elminster as Superman/approachable "lighter hero" is one parallel I've always had in mind since 1990 when I first got the chance to work with Khelben (and Ed)."

And:-

"RE: Khelben as The Operative--not quite. If you really need to know who's in mind when I think about Khelben's plans et al, think The Batman (especially re: his having contingencies about enemies and friends alike, never wholly trusting people, etc.)."

Also:-

"Another analogy I've used before that might help is Khelben as the Batman, being arrogant and smart and paranoid enough to want to work behind everyone's backs and he only truly trusts those he's personally trained/recruited to do his work, even when it seems he works against his own outside allies."

And finally:-

"Just remember that when I think of the Chosen, they're the Justice League/Magnificent Seven (er, Nine) of the Realms and Khelben's most definitely Batman--ruthless, scheming, paranoid, and plotting at all times."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  09:17:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be fun to have the X-Men show up in the Realms.

Or Spidey. I could see him now, web-swinging through Waterdeep. Leaving the 'Villians' hanging in webbing for the City Watch.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  09:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get a fang of Lolth for Spiderman!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  10:19:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's the same reason I would choose the ones I mentioned.

Cugel could be sent away after randomly infuriating a deity or magician, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser has been sent into other worlds before, so why not the Realms. Ningauble and Sheelba might need an item from Netheril. Farmers various character from Tiers (and to a degree Riverworld) could end up more or less anywhere, although they are not a perfect fit. Harold Shae's random magic is even more probable as a cause for travel to the Realms as he skips from world to world. The astral projection and such used by Carter would be another possibility (although his characters were never distinctive enough to be worth it), as would the Astral Ship (I think that was the name)of Moorcock.

The old Giants of Earth articles gives an idea for many of these in AD&D terms, but are generally overpowered and the articles contains large rules modifications. These remind me of why I prefer Basic Roleplaying variations; no matter what Gygax intended this works better for classic Sword and Sorcery in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  12:40:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to check that the Giants of Earth article, what's Basic Roleplaying variations btw, tough the overpowered npc stats don't bother, that's the most ignored canon element for me.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  17:00:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I need to check that the Giants of Earth article, what's Basic Roleplaying variations btw, tough the overpowered npc stats don't bother, that's the most ignored canon element for me.

I cant remember which Dragon magazine had the articles for which characters, but most of these were in the first fifty volumes somewhere. I could take a look if you like.

Basic Roleplaying is the "centre system" (in lack of a better term) of the Chaosium games (and the Swedish Drakar och Demoner, my system of choice), for example Runequest and Call of Cthulhu. The newer version (which I haven't bought yet) is a large book, but originally it was a rather slim volume giving a system for skill-based, levelless gaming with %dice to determine success.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  23:04:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be great to see Wolverine rip into a Orc Horde.

Or Doctor Doom fighting with Manshoon over the leadership of the Zhents. Manshoon has his clones, Doom has his Doombots!

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 May 2010 23:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  23:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha! I'd be up for that game.

I think Wooly Rupert mentioned someone dumping Sailor Moon and co. into the realms and having them team up with the Seven Sisters. It was fan-fic as opposed to an actual game, but I've had the curious fortune to play in a few games where such an event wouldn't have been wholly out of place...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  00:17:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

haha! I'd be up for that game.

I think Wooly Rupert mentioned someone dumping Sailor Moon and co. into the realms and having them team up with the Seven Sisters. It was fan-fic as opposed to an actual game, but I've had the curious fortune to play in a few games where such an event wouldn't have been wholly out of place...

Yup, that was me. The only part of the fic I read had the girls all scattered, but it's a reasonable assumption that they would have eventually reunited.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  01:06:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Or Doctor Doom fighting with Manshoon over the leadership of the Zhents. Manshoon has his clones, Doom has his Doombots!

I've made that connection before. In fact, I even instituted a fallback position for Manshoon that also saw him "raise" an adopted Dalelands boy named Kristoff Vernard, as a possible replacement for him should all his clones ever be destroyed.

The young boy would, of course, have his memory wiped and then replaced by his Lord's memories via a special arcane apparatus of Manshoon's own development, should he ever fall in battle with his mortal enemies... the Fantastic Seven!

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  01:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to have a high level wizard, with a small warforged assistant. They would have several magical items, including a teleportation circle where they can go whereever they want, and have anyone they want go there. They would have five dinosaur with effigy template, a Tyrannosaurus, Mastodon, triceatops, saber-toothed tiger, and pterodactyl. They could fuzed together to make a bigger humaniod creature. Each would be commanded by a special character, who all could summon belt's of excellence +6 (the belt that gave +6 to all stats). It would also give a armor bonus + 8. However, only monks could use them. Each would give a full uniform of five different colors. They also had magical weapons. +5 Long Sword, +5 Great Axe, +5 Longbow, +5 Sais, and +5 Daggers.

That would rock.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  02:35:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing Altaïr ibn La-Ahad, the assassin from Assassin's Creed games in the Realms. Though as for stats I'd be unsure. Of course I'd like to give him levels in Assassin but with the stupid alignment restrictions of 3.5....I just don't know if another PrC would do him justice.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  02:59:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've made that connection before. In fact, I even instituted a fallback position for Manshoon that also saw him "raise" an adopted Dalelands boy named Kristoff Vernard, as a possible replacement for him should all his clones ever be destroyed.

The young boy would, of course, have his memory wiped and then replaced by his Lord's memories via a special arcane apparatus of Manshoon's own development, should he ever fall in battle with his mortal enemies... the Fantastic Seven!

Let me guess, Elminster would be Mr. Fantastic?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  03:05:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let me guess, Elminster would be Mr. Fantastic?

Probably.

As I recall, the few instances Elminster and Manshoon have met in the Realmslore, there's almost always been a degree of "grudging respect" and "bizarre camaraderie" between them -- somewhat reminiscent of the relationship between Reed Richards and Victor von Doom.

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  09:18:30  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When have they actually met? I havent read all the short stories by Ed, and i'm guessing it's in one of those?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  10:10:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

When have they actually met? I havent read all the short stories by Ed, and i'm guessing it's in one of those?

"So High A Price" from Realms of Infamy as I recall, and [for my favourite encounter between the two] in Ed's "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy -- where the rivalry between them both is seen to be even more apparent in one particulaly memorable scene.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 May 2010 10:13:15
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  10:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I wouldn't mind seeing Altaïr ibn La-Ahad, the assassin from Assassin's Creed games in the Realms. Though as for stats I'd be unsure. Of course I'd like to give him levels in Assassin but with the stupid alignment restrictions of 3.5....I just don't know if another PrC would do him justice.

Just use the Avenger PrC from the WotC site. It's essentially identical to Assassin with the alignment and special prerequisites changed.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  14:05:42  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I cant remember which Dragon magazine had the articles for which characters, but most of these were in the first fifty volumes somewhere. I could take a look if you like.

Basic Roleplaying is the "centre system" (in lack of a better term) of the Chaosium games (and the Swedish Drakar och Demoner, my system of choice), for example Runequest and Call of Cthulhu. The newer version (which I haven't bought yet) is a large book, but originally it was a rather slim volume giving a system for skill-based, levelless gaming with %dice to determine success.

I'll look into Dragondex.

That's sounds like my kind of a system, tough we kept levels as a sort of a guideline for hit points.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000