Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Characters from other books/games/films etc
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  15:37:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hit points are based on the medium of size and constitution, and never goes up unless the abilities does. Armour absorbs damage, but combat is still something to be weary of. And I have found that with a skill based system players will often go out of their way to use skills not related to combat. Lots of great adventures has come out of characters using every opportunity to go fishing, recite poetry etc. Skill fumbles can include more possibilities than a whole dungeon.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  00:14:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I wouldn't mind seeing Altaïr ibn La-Ahad, the assassin from Assassin's Creed games in the Realms. Though as for stats I'd be unsure. Of course I'd like to give him levels in Assassin but with the stupid alignment restrictions of 3.5....I just don't know if another PrC would do him justice.

Just use the Avenger PrC from the WotC site. It's essentially identical to Assassin with the alignment and special prerequisites changed.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. It's definitly a possibility. Though what level would Altaïr be?
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  00:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends what level you assume the average soldier in the game to be. If they're all level 1 mooks then you could probably get away with making him level 6-10, although that 'leap of faith' thing might be a bit beyond what you could do with a jump and tumble at that level (assuming 3e).

If you want Mr. Stabby to be reliably sneaking past and assassinating non-noob wizards and monsters, etc., on his own then the stat block will need to be quite a beast, I'd imagine.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  04:57:18  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once had a player who drew up a Waterdhavian noble by the name of Edmund Blackadder, complete with a henchman by the name of Baldrick, loyal friend and confidant Lord Percy Belabrantar and arch-nemesis in the form of Lord Flasheart Stormweather.

There was also a cameo by Guybrush Threepwood and Elaine Marley as Nelanther Pirates....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:02:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

I once had a player who drew up a Waterdhavian noble by the name of Edmund Blackadder, complete with a henchman by the name of Baldrick, loyal friend and confidant Lord Percy Belabrantar and arch-nemesis in the form of Lord Flasheart Stormweather.
Oh, I am so borrowing this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was also a cameo by Guybrush Threepwood and Elaine Marley as Nelanther Pirates....

Can you type their quotes from cameo if it is allowed?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:29:16  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just make sure to organise a trip to Silverymoon. Alustriel as Queenie is a riot. ;)
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:35:43  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

quote:

Which ones? Guybrush introduced himself with the Classic "I'm Guybrush Threepwood and I am a mighty pirate!" and would say "I am rubber you are glue!" Whenever he missed a parry.

Fuuniest thing about that was when he told his tale of the ghost pirate ship and it's captain; LeChuck and one of my players who'd never even heard of the Monkey Island games smiled knowlingly and said "Ahhh! The Black Pearl!"
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

quote:

Which ones? Guybrush introduced himself with the Classic "I'm Guybrush Threepwood and I am a mighty pirate!" and would say "I am rubber you are glue!" Whenever he missed a parry.

Fuuniest thing about that was when he told his tale of the ghost pirate ship and it's captain; LeChuck and one of my players who'd never even heard of the Monkey Island games smiled knowlingly and said "Ahhh! The Black Pearl!"

Kinda sad to hear. Was there insult fighting on the deck or any insult challenge?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  09:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wohoo! I can see that thread got immensely popular.
The characters I'd love to see in the Realms:
- Edward Cullen from Twilight and his daughterRenesmee
- Lucius and Narcissa from HP
- Padme Amidala from SW
- Geralt (the Witcher game and books)
- Teddy Lupin from HP

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  06:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my 2e (and much younger days) I kept an old 1-subject notebook with race/class combos for various NPC's and ways to create them (iconic gear & such).

I remember I had every final fantasy character from 1-6 (wonderful games, those were), including Mystic Quest. I had done a lot of video game conversions from Nintendo/Super Nintendo, but mostly RPG characters. I'm a fan of Dragon Warrior, Secret Of Mana, and Final Fantasy (which, oddly, most of my gaming group hasn't played). This means I can throw in some really odd FF stuff, and not get caught :P

Others I've done, over and over, Mega Man & company (mostly for Shou Lung, but a few Faerunian conversions as well). "The Man In Blue" has been my moniker for such conversions. I've even done a Mega Man X conversion as well (a Chronomancer from the future brought him back). Others, offhand, included the battletoads/double dragon guys, as well as a few WarCraft 1 and 2 conversions. Given that tendency, I should probably do something with WarCraft 3.

The last ones I've dealt with, due to their planar nature, have been the Diablo series villains (specifically the Butcher from Diablo 1). But that was covered in the 2e Diablo supplement.

I could go on, but I wouldn't want to bore anyone any longer with how much time I've wasted on video games

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  06:48:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have created Half-Dragon Beholders, and Half-Fiend Beholders before. One of my faves was a Beholder Mage/Lich.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about the Final Fantasy, I recently created a PC based on one of the characters, Dracir. Guess who?

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like edward from twilight to be in a game just so he can be brutally murdered, due to his apparent sparkliness giving away a position or something. Or maybe just murdered by real vampires or something, either or.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah. Such vampires are nothing but a wimps for sloppy soap operas. My true ideal of vampire is Kain from Legacy of Kain series. He grows stronger and evolves, becoming a mighty fiend of darkness to create an empire of vampires. He looks most cooler in Blood omen 2.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  19:29:02  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
...in Ed's "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy -- where the rivalry between them both is seen to be even more apparent in one particulaly memorable scene.

Memorable indeed. It was in Swords of Dragonfire, and it is, by far, my favorite novel scene ever. It includes Vangey, Blackstaff, Elminster, Manshoon and about ten beholders. And not a single spell had to be cast for Manshoon to be defeated. I do not include teleports, of course
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  21:16:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

It would be fun to have the X-Men show up in the Realms.

Or Spidey. I could see him now, web-swinging through Waterdeep. Leaving the 'Villians' hanging in webbing for the City Watch.

Been there, done that! I use a human wizard/monk/enlightened fist, with energy substitution(sonic) instead offire or electricity. He uses bracers with web and silken rope on them, and boots of spider climb, as well as a small arsenel of utility-type spells 9for the nerd aspect) and a high craft- alchemy and knowledge in nature, engineerring, and arcana. Works pretty darn well! And of course he still has the split identity, but that's a little trickier to work around. I did similar pc sheets for the Human Torch and Supes. Had the idea of doing a superhero-inspired D&D campaign, but only one of my players ever bit- my hubby, playing as Deadpool. I still use "spider-Monk as an NPC sometimes, lol!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  00:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made (and use) tons, sometimes they are easily recognized, others not so much. I saved a group in an ancient ruins when a fedora-wearing bard showed up instruct them of some traps (and ask for help in returning a recovered treasure back to Waterdeep). It wasnt until a few days later when one of my players said, "dude, he had a whip, leather and a wand. Indy right?"
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  02:17:47  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you have to be really careful with this kind of thing as you can destroy the seriousness of your game with random foolishness. But if done right, it can add a little humor & even a menorible sense.

In Daggerdale, in one of the small towns there is an inn named the Dusty Rhodes or Dusty Roads inn. So of course I had Dusty Rhodes, the 80s NWA champion, as the owner. I do a dead on perfect Dusty Rhodes imitation so it worked out really well, high energy & a lot of fun.

I also use pics for all my npcs, most of the pics are of fantasy art but a few of them happen to be real & sometimes very famous people. For pics in my game I've used: Bruiser Brody, khosrow ali vaseri, Richard Moll, melinda clarke, angelina jolie, madison young, simone simons, beyonce, alice cooper, david bowie, and a few others. Of course these were just pics for characters, the way we look at games is as if they were series on tv & these would be the actors that played that person, not to say it is the person as themselver. If that makes sense.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  02:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly I'd like to see King Leonidas and his personal bodyguard of the most lethal 300 Spartans wandering the realms HOO-AH!

Talk about sheer brutal killing power and sculptured abs for girls and some guys [of that persuasion ] to drool over.

Next would be General Maximus [Gladiator] at the head of a few Roman legions carving their way across the realms.

If the Spartan phalanax is described as a pin cushion, then the Roman legion would be a chainsaw Strength and Honour!

Just exactly the right sort of man to convert to the worship of Torm eh? And how handy that he has a few crack legions to help out in spreading the love around

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 22 Jun 2010 02:40:46
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  18:11:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I use mine as a guide/comic relief. Spidey-monk is a LOT of fun to play, and always adds some interesting aspect to the games! I also did a FR/Marvel fan-fic crossover where Spidey met Drizzt. With the resulting confusions over where Peter got his powers, how he was getting home, etc... Drizzt saw him in the black suit with the big spider, and his natural assumption was that he either followed Lolth or she had somehow taken an interest in him. And the odd conicidence of calling his panther Gwen caused Peter a moment or two of WTF. And then I got M-J and a few other Marvelites involved in trying to find Pete and bring him home. Strange, Nightcrawler, and Wolvie and Storm. I may have to post it up on here one day, just for fun.

On a side-note, who has used Riddick as a PC or NPC? My hubby was joking about doing that. Personally, I think he'd fit in great.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  18:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't FR, but I once played a Ravenloft PC who was *heavily inspired* by a Final Fantasy 7 character. Bet you can guess which one.

Also, some people say my character Shadowbane is sort of the Batman of the Realms. While that wasn't my intent, I can certainly see a similar theme.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  19:08:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me guess- Vincent? LOL!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Corwyn the Errant
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  19:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Corwyn the Errant's Homepage Send Corwyn the Errant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naw, Cait Sith, of course. Nothing says "Ravenloft" more than a cat with a crown sitting atop a giant Mog. :)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  21:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even had a gun too. Along with nightmares and *mystery*.

The other players ganked my character sheet, read about all my character's secrets, and promptly *friendly fired* him in the next battle.

It was probably for the best.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  21:32:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww, that's too bad. I bet he'd have been fun to play. I have a friend who tried to RP Kafka from FF6. And Dante, from Devil May Cry.

edit: Stupid error message...

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 22 Jun 2010 21:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  23:32:00  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Aww, that's too bad. I bet he'd have been fun to play. I have a friend who tried to RP Kafka from FF6. And Dante, from Devil May Cry.

edit: Stupid error message...

I did play a Dante (from the 3rd game), played him for more than two years in fact. Probably one of the most fun I had with a character (that and my Illithid Psion ). I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even bothered to change his name, or give him a family name, he was just Dante (Fighter 3 / rogue 3 / sorcerer 4 / Spellsword 10 or something like that).
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  23:34:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and how can I forget one of my most infamous villains, directly made from Magus from Chrono Trigger. A Half-elven wizard with a scythe, and blue hair. He rocked.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  01:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Heh. Did you use the RAVENLOFT-specific rules for firearms and such, or just the generic D&D rules?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  02:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Heh. Did you use the RAVENLOFT-specific rules for firearms and such, or just the generic D&D rules?

Yes.

(And a passing knowledge with those ridiculous sets of rules will probably tell you exactly what I mean!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000