Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Arcane Generocity again!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  20:07:19  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello...

I know I have posted about this subject before, but since I have a standing aguement with my DM about how this Special Quality works, im gonna ask again!

The ability is as follows:

Arcane Generocity: The Magister is charged with promoting and increasing the use of magic in the world, and so whenever she gives away a magic item she created og teaches someone a new spell, she gains XP equal to 1/2 of the XP cost of that item (treat teaching a spell as giving away s scroll of that spell). This bonus is not awarded for items and spell that destroy or feed upon magic. (Suck as dispel magic, energy transformation field or Mordenkainens Distjunction)

The way I understand it is, that if I ( lvl 24 wiz) creates a scroll of Magic Missile, it's gonna cost me 24 exp. When I then give it away, I recieve 12 exp.

When I then instead teach Magic Missile to my aprentice, I suffer no cost, but still get the 12 exp. Since teaching is free but still count as giving away a srcoll, I must therefore only recieve the bonus.

If I am wrong in perseption, please tell me!!!

PS. Im pretty sure that I've got i right!!!

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  21:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Looks like you've got the right idea. How does your DM's interpretation differ?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  21:11:10  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the dude only think that you get anything out of taching, if you had an exp cost during the teaching! I on the otherhand believe as I have stated!

Any comments would be nice!
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  21:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
damn gremlins...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 28 Apr 2010 21:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... the text you posted up there seems fairly clear. Unless he's looking at a different text I don't know where's he's getting the no XP for teaching bit. Unless he want's to amend it for balance reasons or some such, in which case I imagine he would have said so.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:14:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope im right...

But any comment is still needed
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno what else there is to say, really.

The text you've provided is perfectly clear that teaching a spell yields the same amount of XP as giving away a scroll of the same, except it doesn't have the initial XP cost of producing said scroll. If your DM wants to change that for some reason, then fair enough, but the text in question is perfectly clear.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:32:51  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See that what im talking about! THANK YOU! My DM will eat his words and I'll get my thousands of exp. MUHAHAHA!
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  10:51:44  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with both of you guys, the ability works that way. What i want to point out is that sometime DMs alter rules, mechanics and lore considering their game and the good of the campaign.

However its better to make clear when you change the rules, usually having a small conversation with your player so things will run smoothy.

I have played with DMs who while altering alot of rules and lore, they claim to be always right while "it's in the book" while not bothering to open the damned book to see that things are opposite.

Whatr i would reccoment to you is have a friendly talk with your DM and see what happens, i think he will appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  21:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. While seeing as your already a Magister though, and I doubt the DM does care about power levels, its easy to abuse. Ya start teaching high enough wizards level 9 spells all the time, and you will rack in thousands of XP, becoming litarly level 100 in a matter of weeks. It be only fair for him to limit that after all.

Or your wizard will then find an army of high level wizards after your ass to counter your potentonal threat.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  14:19:43  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True... All of it!

This post was just to get an idea about how to understand the rule/ability!!

Thanks for all the answers!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  14:21:33  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True... All of it!

This post was just to get an idea about how to understand the rule/ability!!

Thanks for all the answers!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  16:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Indeed. While seeing as your already a Magister though, and I doubt the DM does care about power levels, its easy to abuse. Ya start teaching high enough wizards level 9 spells all the time, and you will rack in thousands of XP, becoming litarly level 100 in a matter of weeks. It be only fair for him to limit that after all.

Or your wizard will then find an army of high level wizards after your ass to counter your potentonal threat.

Actually, anyone coming to learn a 9th-level spell is a potential threat. You don't have to have more spells or more powerful spells to defeat another spellslinger -- just hit them in any of a dozen way when they're not expecting it. Not much a sleeping wizard can do against a falling wall of iron, for example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  19:28:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, anyone coming to learn a 9th-level spell is a potential threat. You don't have to have more spells or more powerful spells to defeat another spellslinger -- just hit them in any of a dozen way when they're not expecting it. Not much a sleeping wizard can do against a falling wall of iron, for example.

True... even if the rules you're playing don't allow said wall to be created horizontally... having a 12" thick slab of iron fall edge-first on your midsection is going to kill you just as dead.

That being said, I miss the versatility of those spells... it's something I'm changing in my homebrew d20 system.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  21:53:25  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

True... even if the rules you're playing don't allow said wall to be created horizontally... having a 12" thick slab of iron fall edge-first on your midsection is going to kill you just as dead.

That being said, I miss the versatility of those spells... it's something I'm changing in my homebrew d20 system.

Indeed, creating a more diverse variable of existing spells is something that my group have done with moderate to great success over the years. 'Tis simply a matter of rewriting the spells and getting the DM's approval of the changes. Gives a spellhurler more creativity and freedom in my experience :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000