Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Poster Maps of Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  12:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok so here is the deal. Wizards released various poster type maps for adventure locales in various forms, such as in the 4E adventures or stand alone locales. Anyways, these go great with the minis and its a shame that some maps in the books aren't full sized for use on the table. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to scan these and what program (photoshop??) to use to blow it up to a useable size (which size) to then print in color and use. I have used large graph paper that is the correct size and have redrawn some areas and colored in with colouring pencils and/or sharpies, but that takes A LOT of time. I will scour the web for this also, but if anyone can help with it also, please do. Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  19:40:35  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least for 3rd edition, you can get most map images of various books HERE in various resolutions. Also, I seem to recall that they specifically designed most of the 4e modules to use their dungeon tiles, but I might be wrong.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  11:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah most stuff that I can use with dungeon tiles I will, but there is some stuff there just aren't tiles for unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  23:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Yeah most stuff that I can use with dungeon tiles I will, but there is some stuff there just aren't tiles for unfortunately.

There are a number of companies that make printable 2D modular terrain tiles of various kinds. There are also a few companies that make printable 3D paper craft terrain. I'm most familiar with Fat Dragon Games, which produces both 3D and 2D terrain. Another company with excellent terrain products is Worldworks Games. These are just two companies. If you go the RPGNow and search for "terrain", you'll see that there are many companies producing all manner of useful gaming terrain.

Whatever product you choose to use, do not worry too much about trying to reproduce exactly what the module calls for. You are the DM, it's your universe. Maybe there are ways to improve on the map design.

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 10 Feb 2010 23:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It pays to work in a school where you have access to a laminator and rolls of the grid paper scaled for miniatures - some colour pencils and patience gives decent results.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  18:39:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ideally, you could get a scanned image of it and blow it up (either in Photoshop or Illustrator). If you're worried about quality, I recommend making the images a TIFF file or something similar so that when you resize it, there less pixelation/degradation.

As for printing, I also recommend your nearest Staples/Office Max. Take the image on a flash drive to the store, figure out what size you want to print out and they've got the printers that can do it. You'd have to check your local store for pricing, however. When I got some stuff done there, it didn't cost me much.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  18:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ideally, you could get a scanned image of it and blow it up (either in Photoshop or Illustrator). If you're worried about quality, I recommend making the images a TIFF file or something similar so that when you resize it, there less pixelation/degradation.

As for printing, I also recommend your nearest Staples/Office Max. Take the image on a flash drive to the store, figure out what size you want to print out and they've got the printers that can do it. You'd have to check your local store for pricing, however. When I got some stuff done there, it didn't cost me much.

Thanks Ashe, I mght look into that. Any recommendations as to which size to resize it to (mostly based on the size provided in the later 3.5E and the 4E books - which I think are fairly the same size as each other)...I'm not a big photoshop wiz (just a lowly follower of Karsus )

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  18:51:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends. If you're looking to print out the map to use with miniatures, you want to get the graph as close between ¾ and 1 inch to work best with the minis. So if you're map has a 25x35 grid, I'd say you'd want to print out on a sheet between 21"x27" to 25"x35" (about poster size). For me, I used it when running the Shadowdale adventure and made a copy of the town map on a 12"x16" paper so the players could pass it around and see everything.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  19:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It all depends. If you're looking to print out the map to use with miniatures, you want to get the graph as close between ¾ and 1 inch to work best with the minis. So if you're map has a 25x35 grid, I'd say you'd want to print out on a sheet between 21"x27" to 25"x35" (about poster size). For me, I used it when running the Shadowdale adventure and made a copy of the town map on a 12"x16" paper so the players could pass it around and see everything.

Are you referring to the Shadowdale adventure in the 2E Campaign Setting or the 3.5E Hardcover?

Edited by - Alisttair on 07 May 2010 19:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  22:01:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3.5 Hardcover.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  12:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The 3.5 Hardcover.

Was the Shadowdale map scaled to miniatures or was that just for the players to see and decide where to go? Did you blow up any of the combat areas??

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000