Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dungeons near Neverwinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigmac
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  05:55:59  Show Profile  Visit bigmac's Homepage Send bigmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone knew of any Dungeons near Neverwinter. I have looked through the Volo's Guides and several web sites and cant seem to find any. Sorry for the Noob question, but I am some what new to the setting , Thanks in advance...

Bigmac

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends what you mean by 'near' really.

There's Gauntlgrym on the far end of the Crags (massive Dwarven mega-dungeon), and a few places that I think were introduced by the Neverwinter Nights games. You could easily stock the Crags and Neverwinter wood with anything you like.

I'll try and most something more useful a bit later...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

bigmac
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Visit bigmac's Homepage Send bigmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info... I really appreciate it, Gauntlgrym, that could work, Is there anything on it in game terms, I know i have read about it in several novels, but I dont think I have seen anything RPG wise. Thanks for the help.

Bigmac
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  17:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*rummages about a bit*

Apart from the brief bit in 3e FRCS and a bit more in 2e Savage Frontier I don't know of anything major. There's also the FR wiki entry ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gauntlgrym ).

Basically what you've got is the classic Moria inspired ancient, monster infested, treasure filled Dwarven mining city that could conceivably contain just about anything.

It also depends how you define as 'near'; if you go north to the Spine of the World or east into the Silver Marches, then the map quickly becomes packed solid with all sorts of dungeony goodness!

EDIT: See also 3e Lost Empires of Faerun

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 27 Apr 2010 17:50:08
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  18:29:59  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mere of Dead Men just to the south of Neverwinter is chocked full of ruins and dungeons. There have been several great Dungeon articles on them over the years. But sadly I don't have the edition numbers to hand. I'm sure someone here will have them.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:18:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

The Mere of Dead Men just to the south of Neverwinter is chocked full of ruins and dungeons. There have been several great Dungeon articles on them over the years. But sadly I don't have the edition numbers to hand. I'm sure someone here will have them.

The adventure series of modules to which BlackAce refers, are located in the old printed DUNGEON Magazine -- [#69, 70, 71, 72 and 73]. And, also, a DRAGON article on the Mere, from #258.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Apr 2010 01:22:24
Go to Top of Page

bigmac
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  01:35:39  Show Profile  Visit bigmac's Homepage Send bigmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You , Thank You , I appreciate all the info, you are a great help...

Bigmac
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:25:57  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to go a bit off-topic here bigmac, but i saw Cleric Generic mention the FR wiki site. Does anyone know how accurate the information on that site is? I must confess browsing that site a lot lately, and there are many things that do not have any citations. Have anyone of you more learned scribes noticed lore that were non-canon, or pure speculation on that particular site?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  02:33:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I browse Realms wikis, I discover that lore drawn from Ed's root writings seems to be marked "citation needed" whereas lore added by others, particularly in computer games, is not. It makes me question the accuracy of the lore given, every time - - and I KNOW my Realmslore, after all these years of playing with Ed.
For example, Gauntulgrym/Gauntlgrym is his creation, after all, and is located on Realms maps in his Volo's Guide, yet that's not noted in its current wiki entry, as of right now, at all...
Now, if * I * was seeking dungeons near Neverwinter, I'd ask Ed in his Chamber of Sages thread, and see how many he was willing to reveal...
Hint cough hint . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

bigmac
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  04:18:11  Show Profile  Visit bigmac's Homepage Send bigmac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You very much....

Bigmac
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:38:15  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. I remembered that they were 70 something but couldn't be sure and didn't want to confuse things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000