Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for a seafaring FR adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, all.
When I asked my players what they would like to do for a summer campaign, they all agreed that they would like to do something that involves seafaring. Any FR adventure from any edition is fair game.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  19:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite many hooks from Dwarves Deep is the one about the Madbeards. What's not to love about insane, naked, murderous, sea-faring dwarves? They're supposed to be descendants of Haunghdannar, driven mad by the sea, which opens the doors to all sorts of interesting tidbits of dwarven history. Maybe it's possible to find out what caused the insanity, or cure it. Maybe you're just hiring on as merchant guards to keep ships from being destroyed by them. Maybe you're hunting them back to their island lair and putting a stop to them once and for all.

It's not a formal adventure, and so you'd have to do a fair amount of work coming up with the specifics. But it's a great hook.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  21:42:10  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2E Dungeon magazines, there were a couple:

* Floating Rock (D46) (a tie-in to Al-Qadim)
* The Oracle at Sumbar (D48)
* Operation Manta Ray (D66)
* The Akriloth (D79) (although this one is, strictly speaking, an underwater adventure)
* The Frothing Miscreant (D80)
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  22:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions :-)

quote:
Originally posted by capnvan
I believe one of the last Dungeon-based adventure paths involved both a lot of sea-faring and the Isle of Dread. I think they had a suggestion for placing it in Chult. In fact, if I recall, the AP with Cauldron as the main site was also set nearby, in Chult, (per the suggestion).

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you give a few more specifics to help me locate what you're referring to? Thanks

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not FR but 3e Stormwrack sourcebook has info about seafearing and also includes some small adventures IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  00:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
I believe one of the last Dungeon-based adventure paths involved both a lot of sea-faring and the Isle of Dread. I think they had a suggestion for placing it in Chult. In fact, if I recall, the AP with Cauldron as the main site was also set nearby, in Chult, (per the suggestion).

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you give a few more specifics to help me locate what you're referring to? Thanks

What he's talking about is the Savage Tide Campaign, which is set in Grayhawk (but have a semiofficial FR retool somewhere on Paizo's, placing it around Chult (along others sailing from Teshalar (i seem to remember), and all the way around Chult to somewhere south/southwest of there ...

One of the Primary 'objects' in the campaign is the Ship that the PC's are going to own ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  17:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you're looking for a connected series of adventures which focus heavily on the shipboard, you could do worse than taking a look at the AP, if you can get your hands on it.

Hope that clears up my meaning

It does, yes. Thank you, Cap'n. And thank you all for the great suggestions.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  12:30:46  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a really good premium module for Neverwinter Nights, called Pirates of the Sword Coast. Maybe you can get there some ideas. I also know one DM who runs this adventures as a pen & paper module.

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

quote:

quote:

What he's talking about is the Savage Tide Campaign, which is set in Grayhawk (but have a semiofficial FR retool somewhere on Paizo's, placing it around Chult (along others sailing from Teshalar (i seem to remember), and all the way around Chult to somewhere south/southwest of there ...

One of the Primary 'objects' in the campaign is the Ship that the PC's are going to own ...

Righty-O. THe Savage Tide Adventure Path ran in Dungeon Magazine from issue #139 through #150, the last printed issue. Several of those adventures, as I recall, take place either wholly or partially at sea.

In addition, a number of supplements to the Adventure Path (AP) were featured in the concurrent issues of Dragon Magazine (that would be around #350), offering more information, hooks for side treks, and background for DMs and players.

At some point, and at this point I don't recall where it was, I recall a suggestion for placing Sasserine, the port city which is the initial setting for the Adventure Path, somewhere in Chult. Since the AP includes an expedition to the Isle of Dread, and there are dinosaurs there, as well as in the jungles of Chult, I assume that's where the suggestion came from.

If you're looking for a connected series of adventures which focus heavily on the shipboard, you could do worse than taking a look at the AP, if you can get your hands on it.

Hope that clears up my meaning

If I recall, they used Tashluta as the main port city, as it has similar features to Sasserine. The Island of Dread was one of them of the northwest coast of Chult in the conversion, again if I'm remembering everything correctly.

I'm running a Shackled City game right now via PbP on Paizo, and will eventually run Savage tide in the Tashalar as well. They're fun AP's, and I think they are well worth playing (and converting).

EDIT: I have a number of notes on the Tashalar for my home game that I'd be willling to send your way if you'd like. There was even a reply last year from Ed regarding the Tashalar that I asked him and he so awesomely replied (regarding cities in the Tashalar).

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 28 Apr 2010 16:40:32
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer I have a number of notes on the Tashalar for my home game that I'd be willling to send your way if you'd like. There was even a reply last year from Ed regarding the Tashalar that I asked him and he so awesomely replied (regarding cities in the Tashalar).

I would love to see your ideas. I'll PM you.
Thanks,

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  17:22:54  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasnt there some decent sea-faring oriented adventure centered around the moonshaes published in DRAGON some years back? Or maybe it was DUNGEON.. can't remember :/
Go to Top of Page

Math Mannaman
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  07:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Math Mannaman's Homepage Send Math Mannaman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternatively you can set it in the Inner Sea, and have the isle of dread be one of the pirate isle. One of them was supposed to be a gateway to the prehistoric - so that would make a good fit. Sasserine could be Procampur or Ravens Bluff, and later following the isle - scuttlecove could be wither Immurks Hold, or even Westgate.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  15:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two of the Hooks I've written for the Candlekeep Compendium involve going into (as in, underwater) the Sea of Fallen Stars, and a third involves a lost Netherese city off of the Sword Coast. My sixth hook in Volume 8 is the Sword Coast one, and the other two are the third hook in Volume 9 and the fifth hook in Volume 4.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 May 2010 15:59:37
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  03:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Two of the Hooks I've written for the Candlekeep Compendium involve going into (as in, underwater) the Sea of Fallen Stars, and a third involves a lost Netherese city off of the Sword Coast. My sixth hook in Volume 8 is the Sword Coast one, and the other two are the third hook in Volume 9 and the fifth hook in Volume 4.

Thanks, Wooly.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:13:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Thanks, Wooly.

Not a problem!

I will freely admit that hook 9.3 was inspired by watching Disney's "The Little Mermaid" with my wife. I just flipped it around a bit and gave it a slight twist.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  15:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've recently acquired Green Ronin's "Pirate's Guide to Freeport" (2007) and, having read through the 2E "Pirates of Fallen Stars" supplement, I'm thinking of adapting Freeport as Immurk. At a maximum population of 10,000, Freeport has twice the listed population of Immurk, but since this adventure is set in the 4E Realms, over a hundred years after the 2E supplement ends, the growth can be justified. The presence of an ancient and newly re-awakened Cthulhuesque menace, and the demented priesthood that serve it, in Freeport would be fairly easy to adapt to the Abolethic Sovereignty.

Any thoughts or criticisms regarding this idea?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000