Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why is there so much love for Karsus everywhere?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:20:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

quote:
Originally posed by the Sage:

"It's not what he did... it's how far he reached." Heh.

I suppose there is something inherently impressive about a guy who makes a grab for ultimate cosmic power and then fails, wiping out his entire civilization, changing the world forever and writing his name in the history books in giant flaming letters. On the down side, being a morality tale kind of sucks, but hey, is that too much a price to pay for immortality?

Probably...

There's nothing wrong with "thinking big." But, seriously, when "thinking big" starts to incorporate the designs of actual divine powers... I think it would be necessary to re-define just what "big" means in these situations.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He did go out with one hell of a bang, you must admit.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the Sage:

There's nothing wrong with "thinking big." But, seriously, when "thinking big" starts to incorporate the designs of actual divine powers... I think it would be necessary to re-define just what "big" means in these situations.

You know what they say, think big or go home. Karsus thought big and destroyed his home. That's got to be worth double points, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

He did go out with one hell of a bang, you must admit.

More like a series of large crashes, I'd say...maybe a bit of screaming...

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:45:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know what they say, think big or go home. Karsus thought big and destroyed his home. That's got to be worth double points, right?
Heh. Let's put it this way. I'm sure there would've been plenty of devils and such gambling away for the rights to torture the soul of Karsus... that's for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. Let's put it this way. I'm sure there would've been plenty of devils and such gambling away for the rights to torture the soul of Karsus... that's for sure.

Then I suppose there is an upside to his bizarre tripartite soul, he cannot pass on the Nine Hells and be tortured for all eternity. Still would not call him lucky though...

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  02:21:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Then I suppose there is an upside to his bizarre tripartite soul, he cannot pass on the Nine Hells and be tortured for all eternity. Still would not call him lucky though...

Well, the very fact that no plane or deity would claim him [or any of his residual power] from the Prime Material, I think, is even further incentive for certain ambitious devils to make an attempt to claim it.

Who knows? They might even come to an "agreement" of sorts that allows for the special conditions of his tripartite soul.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Apr 2010 02:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  13:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes he killed himself, but it is all a ruse created along with the cloak of Shar to reincarnate after the death of Mystra in the 1400s version of Netheril. Disbelievers will suffer his might!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  13:40:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KARSUS=EPIC FAIL!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  03:17:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter what others say about Karsus and his failure to ascend to godhood to save his people from the phaerimm, I still and will always like him. =)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  03:21:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

True, and maybe the ambitious archdevil Mephistopheles is on top of the list.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  09:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why is there so much love for Karsus everywhere?

What brings you to this notion? A dozen or so posters bearing his name, a dozen articles on him here and there? That's hardly something worth to lay any significance on. The fan-brigade will happily tell you how awesome he was, but in fact, if you get your hands on the Netheril - box and the Netheril - trilogy, you will come to the (official) conclusion that for all his might, in the end he was an utter crackpot.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Apr 2010 09:33:21
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  10:06:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really cant think of a single positive thing about Karsus (on which I am no expert I should add, I dislike the fact that they defined Netheril to much in the first place, I prefer it as a myth that can be used in the game as one sees fit.). Megalomaniac, power mad, ruthless and self centred? Not exactly my cup of tea.

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  10:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I really cant think of a single positive thing about Karsus (on which I am no expert I should add, I dislike the fact that they defined Netheril to much in the first place, I prefer it as a myth that can be used in the game as one sees fit.). Megalomaniac, power mad, ruthless and self centred? Not exactly my cup of tea.

pfft. You're just jealous!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  10:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Such people are always in history!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  12:41:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

quote:

Such people are always in history!

And people proclaiming their admiration for them at a later date is often scary.

But a real world discussion (and I have been tempted to draw a few parallels) here could get really ugly.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  12:44:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

quote:

pfft. You're just jealous!

You caught me. Damn, and here I have been trying to hide behind a halfling-like quasi-hippy persona for all this time! But you still havent found out about all my fiendish plots have you? At least not those about taking the Realms and teleporting them back in time and... ....

Damn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  15:25:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do admire how powerful he was, and admire the fact that he was able to come up with Karsus's Avatar -- crafting a spell like that is pretty much the pinnacle of mortal magic.

That said, his casting of it -- particularly his chosen victim -- was incredibly short-sighted. I don't think he gave a single thought to potential negative effects of the spell, not even the fact that he was stealing power from a deity.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  15:31:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I admire his confidence, and his desire to learn what lay beyond... because it's a trait I see a lot in myself. The only problem being, however, is that he let that sense of self-confidence override his wisdom when he started delving into areas of both the divine and the arcane that were simply not meant for mortal comprehension.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  15:54:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I do admire how powerful he was, and admire the fact that he was able to come up with Karsus's Avatar -- crafting a spell like that is pretty much the pinnacle of mortal magic.

That said, his casting of it -- particularly his chosen victim -- was incredibly short-sighted. I don't think he gave a single thought to potential negative effects of the spell, not even the fact that he was stealing power from a deity.

This all goes back to the Terraseer telling Karsus of the prophecy of Mystryl's death. It wasn't really hubris that made him create and cast the spell, it was the fact that he wanted to protect her from the 'threat' that was coming by taking her place. I doubt the spell even was even meant to be permanent. He was looking to be a shield to her, not realizing that he became the sword by casting it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  16:03:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:

This all goes back to the Terraseer telling Karsus of the prophecy of Mystryl's death. It wasn't really hubris that made him create and cast the spell, it was the fact that he wanted to protect her from the 'threat' that was coming by taking her place. I doubt the spell even was even meant to be permanent. He was looking to be a shield to her, not realizing that he became the sword by casting it.

That may have been part of his reasoning for the decision... but I don't believe it was the "be all end all" of his decision making process. And even with the inherent problems of the source, I tend to agree, for the most part, with what the Netheril tome tells us about Karsus's perception of the gods:- "Karsus believed that the gods were nothing more than mortals who had mastered magic that he hadn’t yet discovered." He was, thus, ultimately convinced he could attain that same level of power. Heeding the words of the prophecy simply gave him a more convenient path for focusing his goal of achieving 12th level magic, and eventually becoming a god himself.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2010 17:46:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  17:38:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only that, but making someone weak is not the best way to protect them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  19:28:25  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Help!!! Who let the fanatics out of their cells?

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  07:44:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I never said it was a GOOD decision/plan.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  09:27:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>

I must be missing some Karsus lore... or just too tired to remember it at the moment. What's the source for the tripartite soul bit? And does that explain the write-up in FR5 describing his still-beating heart continuing to pump out divine blood?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  10:30:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

<snip>

I must be missing some Karsus lore... or just too tired to remember it at the moment. What's the source for the tripartite soul bit? And does that explain the write-up in FR5 describing his still-beating heart continuing to pump out divine blood?

I can't immediately recall the printed source [I think it *might* have been LEoF]... but the "Karsus After The Fall" section on this page provides some details:- http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Karsus

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  00:31:44  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:

One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to prevent it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  04:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shame on me for not paying attention to a topic I participated in.

With regards to...

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk:

In so far as I am aware the original source for the Tripartite Soul of Karsus was the Second Edition book Powers and Pantheons, which contains an entry for Karsus. The entry notes that "It is believed Karsus cannot depart for the Realms until his sundered spirit is reforged into one." It indicates that Wulgreth ensnared Karsus' essence in this manner, trapping it in the exact moment in time in which Karsus realized his folly. As far as revenge goes, that is really mean.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  05:21:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sage and Edain! I'll check those sources out after work tomorrow; I should have gone to bed an hour ago.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allright haters, instead of pissing on Karsus' divine grave let's figure out how he could have handled it better. Who in lieu of Mystryl should he have chosen divinity from. Actually, we could wonder what effects would have occured based on the different deities he would have targeted instead (so if he stole the divinity from Jergal, he would have lost control over the dead and all the Faithless and the False would break free of the wall and invade the realms perhaps??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  14:01:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus probably would have helped Bane and Co. steal the Tablets of Fate...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic