Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with a building a dungeon in mistledale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frapast1981
Acolyte

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  15:55:28  Show Profile  Visit frapast1981's Homepage Send frapast1981 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi to all

I would like to ask the help of the Most Learned Scribes of Candlekeep.
In my campaign the PG have discovered in the southern wood of Mistledale a small fort (nothing more that 3 wood houses surrounded by a wooden palisade). They are planning to attack it, and that's ok. However i let them know that this fort was built as a starting point for some exploration of a nearby complex in search of some treasure. I envisioned the complex as the remnant of an old castle (or some other kind of fortification), with the PC descending in it's deep to search for the treasure.
Taking al of this in consideration here are my questions:
1) Who may have built this fortification? I ask this because I think that every "race" in Faerun has his own architectural style regarding fortification.
2) What could be the layout of this kind of fortification?
3) Linked to question 2. I always had problem envisioning the correct dimension of buildings (height, lenght, width). Could you please gave me some tip in this regard?
4) I know that usually fortification where built on a hilltop or some other elevated place so that inhabitants of the castle can have a clear view of the surrounding area. That's mean that, on the other hand, the fortification/castle is also usually easy to spot from the surrounding area. Assuming this how could this place have remained concealed from the people of Mistledale?
5) What kind of intelligent humanoid could have take possesion of this fortification (I mean intelligent humanoid linving in the woods around Mistledale)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Rocco

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  17:42:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, an interesting problem.

1) As to who built, that could very well depend on how old it is. Could be any of any humanoids, humans is my first choice though.

2) It appears you have already described the fortified settlement so I infer you are asking about the castle not yet planed. A castle complex or remains of one depends on the number of people and range of influence. A castle would likely be at least 100 by 100 with at least two towers, more likely four or more. There likely would be a gate house for the main (maybe only entrance).

3) Well dimensions do depend of race selected, dwarfs for example would build smaller because they do not require as much head room. Size is also sometimes and indication of power, build big to impress and display power. Setting aside those types of factors and looking at human size construction. A simple home would be about 7 feet high to ceiling, the roof likely sloped adding height. There likely would be two rooms, the first, living and second sleeping. Each room could be as small as 10 X 10. If large animals are kept, a stable/barn might be a part of the house perhaps 10 X 20 some devoted for stalls and the rest for equipment and fodder storage. This is the simplest construction. A more costly home would have a separate standing barn rather then being part of the home. A lot of building size however depends on how many creatures normally use it. There is no set rule.
4) Not all fortifications were built on hills, some are built to control trade route. River most common example, where sometimes an island was built on. However even if you place on a hill, the trees after as little as 30 years could grow thick enough to conceal from plain sight. Clearly the woods or other natural growth might deter people normally going to that region. Also wolves or some other animal, (Lions, tigers and bears, Oh my), could make the area considered a high risk adventure. To have it concealed for years there needs to be a hazard that discourages travel to that area in which you plan to build. It could include something like quick sand or bog instead of animals. It certainly could have both.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 11 Apr 2010 03:55:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000