Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question on Shadow Weave reform
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok fellow DM's, Question:
I have a player who is seeking to return to the Weave after turning to the Shadow Weave. I just read in MaoF that nothing short of a Wish or Miracle spell is capable of doing this, and they arent a definite. I want to make this a possibility for the player. (It is a lot of the basis of his character) I have some things in mind, but I wanted to get some of your ideas of how you might go about making this able to happen. So what do you guys think?

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  19:49:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hercules' Tasks route:

After visiting a temple to Mystra, he's informed that he has to perform three difficult tasks to regain the Lady of Mystery's favor. The first task could be something akin to going to Halruaa or Thay and retrieving a new spell developed by a wizard in that land who is not sharing the knowledge. The second task could be to recover a magic item from a dragon's hoard in the Vast Swamp. The third task might be to visit a place of dead or wild magic and try to repair the weave using a mystical formula provided by the priests.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  20:03:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Quest/redemption route appears to be indicated.
Atonement clearly could also be a spell way to return to the side of light. This at least is a lower level spell.

The lore itself is murky concerning Shadow Weave, a part of gaps in the Weave or a different magic not dependent on the Weave both have been offered.

Some deities however are very vengeful for departing the faith, so that component could also be added in play.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  20:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, have a vengeful Shar send nasties as the PC even as they try to negotiate the trials set by Mystra. Is this weave conversion meant to be a major part of the campaign or just a side quest? Presumably more than a one night show, by the sound of it, but how big of a song and dance did you want this all to be?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  21:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it is a big side-quest. Though it is turning into the main focus for the time being. I plan on incorporating it into the main plot anyway. The main plot has to do with battling the Shades and resurrecting Amunator. (Who in my game is Lathander, Amunator, and Horus-Re. Just split. And I came up with this even before the current stuff with Amunator was revealed! lol) They already have the Monks of the Dark Moon and the Church of Shar after them. (Thats what they get for reclaiming Vanrakdoom in the name of Moradin!) Not to mention some other big baddies. Anyway, his conversion is supposed to set events in motion that should unite the churches of Selune and Mystra to destroying the Shadow Weave itself. And he is going to be the key. So yea, its big. :)

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000