Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Advice, please
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  21:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After looking on e-bay for a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting I was unable to find any 2nd edition copies. There were, however, a fairly large number of 1st edition books, all of which claimed to be 'very rare', should I wait for a 2nd edition vesrion or is the 1st edition set equally good?

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2003 :  10:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id leave the 1st edition campaign set alone and stick it out for the 2nd edition box, its MUCH better.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  03:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can try someplace like Kazaa, though I'd suggest you only use a computer with a hefty firewall to keep out spyware.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  07:28:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naughty Bookwyrm...

I agree with Rad. The 2e boxed set is of much better quality, and quantity. Most of the entries in the 1e set are expanded upon in the 2e set anyway, so...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  00:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd want both. The 1987 set is a wonderful summary of Ed's Realms before most of the drift and deliberate change TSR implemented set in, and it has a warmth and charm the 1993 box lacks. It also has content the second set lacks, things like the Shadowdale census and two adventures set in Myth Drannor. The 1993 set has more words, some of them less worthwhile than others (including a rather dubious adventure).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  08:35:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...I had forgotten about the census . Thanks Faraer .

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Sep 2003 08:35:56
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  21:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, I have found both campaign sets on eBay but I think that I'll buy the 2nd edition one first.

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  07:08:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested to hear what you think about the sets, when you get them. Be sure to let us know...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  23:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other content only the Old Grey Box has includes some NPC writeups, news and rumours for 1356 and 1357 DR (a great look at what events in the Realms are like when not controlled by brand managers and novel editors, and the starter for the current clack that appeared in Ed's Polyhedron column), and spellbook writeups taken from Dragon articles (republished in Pages from the Mages).

Here's a bonus which I think is no longer linked to on wizards.com.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010131c

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Sep 2003 23:28:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000