Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Conjuration and permanent effects
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arzakon
Seeker

Spain
58 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  11:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Arzakon's Homepage Send Arzakon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there, I've recently had a discussion about summons with a friend of mine, and I have some questions about conjuration.

As far as I know, many summons only work for 1 round per caster level; even if it seems unfair for lower level mages, I think the power of the creatures summoned is quite enought to prevent long time summonings. Anyway, a lvl 15 mage could summon a powerful elemental for 15 rounds, which are enough rounds to punish whoever stands against him.

But the problem is about... how can I say it... narrative purposes. I've always seen a lot of stories about powerful mages BINDING creatures to a place where they want to stay isolate. So how can I handle this issue, speaking about rules? Let's say, if a player wants to use permanent summons just for roleplaying purposes (to protect his tower or something similar; don't think it's fair to let him raise an army of fire elementals to conquer the world :P), is there any rule about this? Anyone has a homemade rule to handle this? I really can't think about a fair and balanced way to let players have binded creatures to their sanctums. Any information would be helpful.

P.D. By the way.... "bound" creature or "bind" creature? I don't know which of them is correct... or if both of them are. Thanks anyway :D

Edited by - Arzakon on 22 Jan 2010 11:44:01

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  14:07:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, first off, you could house-rule that players could cast Permanency on the Summon XX spell. Of course, if you're dealing with strictly Outsiders or Elementals, I'd recommend Planar Ally or Planar Binding, which binds the summoned creature for a specific task.

P.S. Bound is the past tense, bind the present tense. "I bind you now"/"I bound the devil yesterday"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  16:08:44  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My good friend both ingame and offgame, have bound a solar to his vault. How this was done, was that he through the help of powerful magic contacted a sertain entity calleed the Seraphin. He then negotiated this Solar to wilingly stay in the entrance hall of his vault as a guadian. So this was more the creature iself wanting to help. Still I know that it is bound/ binded with spell to that area, so it cant roam freely on the matarial plane!

He did it this way for role playing reasons, and I realy liked it. The guardin has now become more a friend than the tool he actualy uses it for!!!
Go to Top of Page

Arzakon
Seeker

Spain
58 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  17:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Arzakon's Homepage Send Arzakon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well, first off, you could house-rule that players could cast Permanency on the Summon XX spell. Of course, if you're dealing with strictly Outsiders or Elementals, I'd recommend Planar Ally or Planar Binding, which binds the summoned creature for a specific task.

P.S. Bound is the past tense, bind the present tense. "I bind you now"/"I bound the devil yesterday"

Thank you. I still have a lot to learn about english :P.

The problem with Permanency is that it can be used without limit if I let a player summon a creature and make it a permanent effect; I don't like the idea of an army of air elementals :D.

And, anyway, summoned creatures have will, and usually you must give them something for their help. It should not be easy if we follow the core rules about summoning.

Well, I'll look about what Nicolai said and about Planar Binding, maybe I'll find enough information to make a balanced house-rule. Thanks both of you :).

Edited by - Arzakon on 22 Jan 2010 17:38:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000