Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Lord of Barovia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  22:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Lady Anna (love that name ) has inspired me a bit....

What do you folk think of Strahd? Upon reading Vampire of the Mists, I found myself simply enthralled within the depths of how villainous the Count is (even if the Dracula-nature is a bit....heavy-handed in cliche). I can't decide if I can't stand to read him or can't stop....

Thoughts?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  13:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It goes without saying that I think that this is one of the best characters to come along in D&D history. The fact that this character has SO much history makes him great.

Okay lets forget the comparisons to Dracula and see where they have taken Strahd since. For example if you have read or reading vampire of the mists, then please take the time to read I, Strahd. That book gives all the background information on Strahd as he was in human form, living in his real world pre-ravenloft, and how he became the person he is.

Beyond that Strahd has had many conflicts which has helped to build the character, one such being his eternal conflict with Azalin the Lich, also known as king of the dead. If you want to read about one of these conflicts then may I suggest "I, Strahd : The War against Azalin" an excellent book.

Here is roughly what is said about Strahd:-

Since the time of the account given in The Tome of Strahd, Strahd himself has grown in evil and might, becoming a necromancer of great power and learning much about the prison that binds him.

Strahd does not often involve himself in the affirs of Barovia, only infrequently emerging from his castle to ensure that his laws are being followed. Barovia and its people are his to control, and anyone who seeks to usurp his authority will face the full brunt of his wrath.

Strahd has been a vampire now for over four centuries, and in that time, he has learned to strategize in ways that very few mortals could. His plots are never as simple as they seem, and he never lets anyone see his true motivations behind his actions.

Strahds greatest weakness is his love for Tatyana. Though she threw herself to what must have been certain death, no body was ever recovered, and over the centuries, many women have been born in Barovia who resemble her in everything but name. Strahd believes these women to be reincarnations of his lost love and sees each one as an opportunity to win Tatyana's heart.

I hope that gives you a brief overview of Strahd. I personally think that he is great, and having played in the Ravenloft setting, I can guarantee you that if you ever come up against him it will scare the life right out of you!

The Curator
On Behalf of Strahd Von Zarovich
www.strahds-library.co.uk

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  03:44:34  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The part in "Vampire of the Mists" where Jander and Strahd create music togeather is such a powerful read, i felt as though i could hear the music. i think i read that book 3 times just to enjoy that part of the book.

odd am i just lunny? or did it strike a cord in anyone else, 2 dark evil,vile creatures of the undead(i realize Jander wasnt all that evil but was still a Vampire) yet able to retain enough peace to create music. loved it!!!!

hmm think i shall have to read it again now.!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Baron Sengir
Acolyte

Turkey
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  19:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Baron Sengir's Homepage Send Baron Sengir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Strahd(!) that Strahd is an excellent character. The main reason is that many books are writen about the past of Strahd Von Zarovich.I read "I,Strahd - Memories of a Vampire" and that was just perfect.The reason why Strahd became a Vampire also touched me deeply...

If you were a dream,I would sleep forever...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000