Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 SpellFire Versus SilverFire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  18:41:25  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello. I think it's generally accepted that Mystra's Silverfire is a more potent force compared to SpellFire. My question is why? I've read the Spellfire books and it seemed to me that it was darn near indefensible. It also was a very potent healing force. Can someone site examples were Silverfire proved to be even more powerful in comparison?

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Hello. I think it's generally accepted that Mystra's Silverfire is a more potent force compared to SpellFire. My question is why? I've read the Spellfire books and it seemed to me that it was darn near indefensible. It also was a very potent healing force. Can someone site examples were Silverfire proved to be even more powerful in comparison?

Actually the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting describes the Silver Fire of a Chosen of Mystra, and the 'true' Spellfire of a spellfire channeler as being two variations of the same energy, under the broader (but confusing) term of "Spellfire".

It also states that--of the two--true Spellfire is the more powerful ability.

As for why the common perception may be that Silver Fire is more powerful; it either has something to do with its portrayal in novels, or it is because people ascribe all of the benefits of being a Chosen of Mystra under the category of "silver fire" (i.e. in 2E AD&D it was stated that all the powers gained by a Chosen were wrought by the presence of silver fire within them, therefore linking those powers together under a single banner so to speak. By contrast, 3E made Silver Fire its own separate sub-ability which was included as part of the overall Chosen template.)

So if you consider "Silver Fire" to simply be the ability described on pg 56 of the FRCS, then it is generally a weaker ability when compared to the full benefits gained from the Spellfire Wielder feat and the Spellfire Channeler prestige class (even if said PrC is rather weak).

However if you consider "Silver Fire" to be ALL of the benefits of being a Chosen of Mystra (+10 CON, bonus spells, detect magic, immunities, spell immunities, as well as silver fire itself), as well as all the other things attributed to it in novels and the lore, then perhaps Silver Fire is the more powerful of the two.

Edited by - The Simbul on 28 Nov 2009 23:03:15
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  00:30:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The silver fire is a divine mystery; its exact nature, and relationship to other magicks, hasn't been fully defined. Certainly the many vivid descriptions of the silver fire give no hint that it's not really essential but just a manifestation of something else. It could be. But this is all speculation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  02:10:37  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems, given there appears to be no solid answer, that this may be a good question to ask Ed.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  16:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we measuring a kilogram of each substance? A joule? I don't see how the comparison is possible or meaningful. Probably the biggest practical difference is that the silver fire is the semi-material stratum of a god, while spellfire is usually wielded by relatively untrained mortals.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  18:14:40  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am comparing the two as they are described in rules of the game.

Within that context Silver Fire is the "lesser" of the two abilities, both in terms of the source specifically stating so and in terms of its comparative potency as an ability.
Go to Top of Page

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  14:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know about the actual game settings, but after reading the Shandril series, it seems to me that Spellfire could be very destructive to the person that WEILDS it as well as the people it's directed to. As a force, yes, it is probably more powerful, but as The Simbul said, with the Silver Fire you get more benefits, including how to handle Spellfire better. So I think I would go with the divine, and take the Silver Fire, it wouldn't kill you quite as fast.

~The difference between a rogue and a hero often comes down to who tells the tale~
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  21:25:16  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And as witnessed in Blackstaff, silver fire can keep you alive longer.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  03:50:00  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Casts Resurrect Scroll*

I was just thinking about this very question and decided to do a search on it. My thinking is that spellfire is raw magical energy (canon btw) while silverfire is 'raw magical energy mixed with mystra's divine essence' and is, therefore, more powerful in the end. Mystra does not allow her silverfire to be used in the same manner as spellfire and her divinity may, in fact, mitigate its use as a destructive force. However, it is also canon that Mystra's Chosen can learn to use spellfire if they wish...this gives further credence, IMO, that silverfire is modified spellfire. Just my two coppers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 20 Aug 2013 04:01:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000