Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2e Monsters & Spells that Never made it to 3e?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  22:04:01  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a list anywhere that people can point me to?

A list of what HAS been converted would be helpful too. Basically I'd like to avoid re-converting any material that's already been done, if I can.

~Sylrae

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  23:31:09  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for monsters check here: http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  00:09:36  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, the Creature Catalogue.

That's handy for the Monsters. Is there any such thing for spells?

I remember reading one spell, for instance, which the Guards of Waterdeep apparently had, for disarming opponents, and flinging their weapons away from them.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  18:12:35  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disarm? T'was a good one! (From the 2E Waterdeep boxed set).

The 3.5E Spell Compendium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_Compendium) has an assortment of spells from 2E FR (and 3 and 3.5E FR) books converted and collected for use. I personally think most of them are horrendously watered down from their 2E glory days, but that's the 3E transition for ya!

Anyway, take a peek there. If you can't find direct conversions, there are many spells that are close enough to their 2E counterparts that they'll do in a pinch.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  05:13:24  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I take it I'm the only one interested in having all of the 2e FR spells available in their 3e/PFRPG FR Game? I would have thought there would already be a comprehensive list.

I may have to make one when I go to run my next game then; I will certainly check my 3e FR books and the Spell Compendium.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  05:32:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Hmm. I take it I'm the only one interested in having all of the 2e FR spells available in their 3e/PFRPG FR Game? I would have thought there would already be a comprehensive list.

I may have to make one when I go to run my next game then; I will certainly check my 3e FR books and the Spell Compendium.

I think people that have wanted the unavailable 2E spells have simply done their own personal upgrades. I know that there's been the effort to update monsters, but I've not heard of one for spells... This may be due to the sheer multitude of spells created during the 2E era -- I don't know if there is even a compiled list of 2E spells from all sources. Someone would need to make that list, and then they'd need to compile a list of all 3E spells... Complicating this endeavor is the fact that you'd need a complete library of both editions to do this, and also the fact that a fair number of 2E spells that were converted were renamed -- most particularly, any of the ones that had someone's name in the spell description, like Mordenkainen or Bigby.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  18:29:05  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,

The closest things in 2E are the Wizards and Priest Spell Compendiums (which have ALMOST every 2E spell from ALMOST every 2E source). If you go with them you'll have a pretty solid list of 'every' 2E Realms spell produced (and a short mission finding the rest).

The 2E spell I miss the most in 3E is Mantle from Secrets of the Magister. That never got ported over (for a wide assortment of reasons).

I spent years converting (or finding equivalent spells in most cases) my favorite 2E Realms spells to 'modern' versions when my campaigns coverted from 2E to 3.5E/Pathfinder. In the end, I just never got the same 'Realms magic' feel from them and, just recently, dragged the group back into 2E for that very reason.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  19:08:40  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to be fair, 3e magic as far as spells go, was pretty well covered and varied, with all the various books published, that covered from the undead, to living in a iceburg.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  20:03:24  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a matter of "Does 3e have a wide variety of spells" so much as "I want to have access to the 2e spells in 3e as well as the 3e spells."

I like the 3e FR Spells, and the 2e FR Spells, and the Pathfinder Spells, and odds are I will also allow the 3e Spell Compendium Spells.

I like having the wider variety of spells. I'd like to (upon having a good list) step through and tag all of the spells with people, races, and factions they belong to. Then when I build Drow NPCs, I can use mostly Drow Spells. And when the PCs are in a Drow area, they will come across and get access to Drow Spells. Etc.

I've got a list of all 3e Spells (there are a couple I didn't see in there, but not many) - is there somewhere you guys know of that has a comprehensive list of 2e Spells? I'll certainly look into those spell compendiums; but I would like to be sure to catch them all, and knowing which ones originally come from which book would also be helpful.

Edit: Hmm. I think I found a list. Doesn't say the sources though.
http://www.wizardmark.com/spellinv/spells.asp

Pick TSR Only and then get the list.

Edited by - Sylrae on 04 Aug 2013 20:14:27
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  01:50:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Personally, 2e was a great place for spell ideas... unfortunately a lot of what was done as spells shouldn't have been done as spells. A lot of the ideas where you could store spells in other spells were problematic (rainbow shield filled with a cure spell comes to mind). Similarly triggered/contingent type effects were overdone. They made a good effort to handle this with the craft contingent spell feat.

Now, that being said, yes, there were a lot of 2e spells that I liked. My problem is I've seen so many spells done and redone that I've begun to forget what was which version... or done as a new name by someone else...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  01:53:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, was more bugged about some of the magical items that never got ported over -- like the evilly fun wand of misplaced objects -- or the way some nifty items became less nifty, like the way the cool 2E wand of lightning became the lamer 3E wand of lightning bolts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  01:56:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

to be fair, 3e magic as far as spells go, was pretty well covered and varied, with all the various books published, that covered from the undead, to living in a iceburg.

And yet they still didn't port over things like the necromancer favorite "imbue undead with spell ability". They did make an imbue familiar with spell ability, but generally one doesn't consider one's familiar expendable. Granted, this one needed some fixes, but the concept was very useful.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  20:26:58  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Any other neat stuff that you guys think would have been good if ported over, that wasn't?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:23:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the AD&D (1E) spells eventually made it into AD&D 2E, aside from some of the “0-level“ cantrips, if you want to go back even further.

The problem with 2E spells is that many are overly specialized in their functions, tailored to fit a particular setting or group or region or set of magic rules ... very often having access to one set of these spells meant that most others were excluded, even some of the basic spells in the PHB. Taken outside of these niche contexts most of the “optional“ spells would present a lot of duplication, overlap, inconsistencies, and utterly broken wobbly play balance.

D&D 3E cleaned things up and balanced spell levels/powers quite well (initially, anyhow). Although I vastly prefer ye olde AD&D 1E/2E, I would be apprehensive about making pre-3E spell lists available to 3E PCs.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  01:09:25  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

I'm less concerned with "Make the spell exactly as it was in 2e, but make it available in 3e", and more thinking: "I'd like a spell that descriptively fits what was available in 2e, but with Pathfinder/3.5 game mechanics."

For instance, the Disarm spell the Waterdhavian Guard use would be too good unless it was made a)less effective, or b)higher level. I wouldn't necessarily just want them made available, but having 3.x analogues of them that are around the same point of balance as the rest of the game would be good.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  01:38:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main difference between 1E and 2E was restructuring of spells (and spellcasters) ... some good rules for the transition were presented in the 2E Forgotten Realms Adventures sourcebook. Short version: after the Time of Troubles, all existing spells (spellbooks, scrolls, etc) spontaneously “rewrote“ themselves as 2E equivalents, or simply vanished/erased, or - if the DM chose - could be retained and altered on a case-by-case basis. Later 2E lore often presented more updated 1E spells which were thought to be lost yet always seemed to appear in exotic or ancient sources of magical lore ...

This isn‘t a bad approach for 3E/3.5E/etc settings ... assuming you (as DM or player) don‘t mind rewriting “lost“ spells in your edition‘s format. The spell lists for each of these editions are truly Herculean, I think it might be better to correlate the particular materials you have rather than attempt to find a comprehensive list, especially since DM‘s judgement is still involved.

Send me a PM if you‘d like my personal “comprehensive“ 1E/2E spell database, along with details about which format you prefer.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000