Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 For how long have you played D&D?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2009 :  19:51:44  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm 21 and I used to 'play' it before I could read. I didn't actually know what was going on though. I just rolled the dice. My parent's played it before I was born and my mom wrote a massive campaign while she was on maternity leave with me.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  13:00:15  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started about 15 years ago playing my own set of rules with my school mates. only with d6 dice. Basicly based on the D&D cartoons...

then I had a pariod of about 5 years where I didnt play. and started again in high shcool playing 3 ed D&D. I fell in love with FR and we have been playing the same campaign ever since. So D&D, I've been playing for 8 years now. And have just this sommer achieved lvl 23!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  22:47:40  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
24 years and still rolling

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  22:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got hooked on fantasy games about 18 or 19 years ago when a school mate invented his own game system. It got so far that we even played between school classes.

At about the same time i got introduced to the Dragonlance chronicles and shortly after that i found a copy of Crystal Shard in a small library in my hometown. Also at about that time i got to know and love SSI's computer games of the DL and FR worlds.

Shortly after that i bought the AD&D PLayers' and Dungeoun Master's Guide and started playing with my mates. I tried to create my own world but learned very soon that the Forgotten Realms was the place i really started to love. Been playing a modified 2E ever since although i don't have as much time now as i would like to.

I'm the DM in our group most of the times but sometimes i get to play as well. Also tried Dark Eye and Rolemaster but the Forgotten Realms is my one true love.

Cheers,
Dalmar

Edited by - Dalmar Amad on 26 Oct 2009 11:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  05:09:39  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1998 for me.

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  13:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I started RPG when I was about 7 or 8. My brother recieved the DARK EYE from a local fairy-touched goodguy bringing childeren gifts. I was allowed to play with him and his friends. It wasn't untill I reached the age of 12 I got my own friends who where into role-playing. After running thru my brothers limited book supply, we desperatly needed something else, new and without a limited supply. Enter D&D. We played first edition on Mystara. I remember playing a Elf mage, to extremly high level. Going into the underdark to snatch the sercet of dark-elves mages ( becuase the could become level 18 mage, while normal elves could only reach level12). Than we got the second edition, and I went into my darker metal periode.
So I started a Ravenloft session running for a few years. I had two other friends in school, who run their own campaigns with friends. But we as DM's tended to flock together on the school-yard. So I got introduced with the forgotten realms campaign. The person who was gaming in Forgotten Realms, gave me his collection when we all went to college. So I had collections of Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft 2nd edition. College, well is college, paid more attention to the opposite seks and started drinking like a dwarf. Somewhere in these times my appartement got burgled, burgled good. The thieves took everything expect my bed and clothes.
This also ended my budding magic the gathering hobby. So I was forced again to seek something for my fantasy craving. Enter D&D3rd, I took some friends from college and introduced them to it. The love of the game caught me again. And when I returned to my old home-town we we're already on the 3,5 time-scale. And my old-friends had continued with D&D'en so it was an easy table to join. A friend had become a damn good DM in the mean-time. And so we started with 2 campaigns. I eventually withdrew myself from my friends campaign to focus more on writing my own. We still play 1 or 2 times a month, and I drop in reguraly as a guest-NPC in my friends campaign. So counting backwards I'd say 21 years now....

AND A GOOD 21 YEARS IT HAVE BEEN, LONG-LIVE DUNGEONS and DRAGONS!!!!
at least untill I die, then it wouldn't bother me that much.

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  15:34:28  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For over five years, still playing the 2nd edition.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  19:29:28  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reckon I've been playing for eighteen years or so. Started on old copies of D&D Basic someone gave to us young'uns and worked my way through the editions.

Didn't actually play much 1e, though, since 2e was already out by then.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  05:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I have said I started in 1992, when I was a wee lad of 11 years old. That being said, I guess that makes 17 years of gaming.

First D&D game was TSR 1106, "The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game." (Yes, this box is still on my gaming shelf today). I played Pike the fighter, my little brother played the rogue, and my father was the DM. How's that for a family game night?

Since then, I've played one Dragonlance/Ravenloft campaign, multiple other systems, and settled into the Realms (as a serious DM/Player) around the end of 2e, beginning of 3.0 (starting around 98 or so).

Given the ridiculous number of settings and system's I've played, I think I've never made it to 20th level from 1st. Not once in 17 years. I stop around level 14-17, and my characters tend to retire, although a number of them are quite dead as well .

Of all the things I love most about gaming, it's the people. I've more friends from gaming than any other source. It's its own community, so to speak. We all speak geek, talk about fun ideas, mechanics, or the odd spell here or there. Even what campaigns we've had the most fun in (mine is the Mistledale campaign held here in the 'Keep's libraries). When my son was diagnosed with Leukemia, it was the gamers who came and supported me and my family with words, pizzas (yay!), and in some cases a night dragged away from the hospital to relax and play a game and forget about the problems and fears that came with that.

So, in short, I cherish the true friends I've found through gaming.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  00:18:44  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first time I played Dungeons and Dragons was when I was about 10 or 11 years old (I'm 28 now). I tagged along with a friend to a few game sessions one summer. We were using the rules from the Rules Cyclopedia hardcover reprint of the basic boxed sets. One day we showed up for a game and the DM told us that he had sold all his game stuff. I think his mother got a hold of the dreaded Dark Dungeons pamphlet and threw his books away. Unfortunately at this point I was unable to find anyone to run a game no matter how hard I looked and that lasted until I found a group in high school at which point the 2ed rules were out.

It was in college that my true love for the Realms began. Among the few friends I had who were willing to play DnD, none of them would DM for us, so out of frustration I decided to step up to the plate. I wanted to start the game sooner rather than later so I thought I'd skip the time consuming home-brew world building and went shopping for a setting to use. I'd read some Forgotten Realms books in the past so I decided to pick up the Campaign Setting and I've been hooked ever since.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I have yet to meet someone who is willing to run a FR campaign. So I continue to set my games in Faerun, and dream of the day when I will finally get to run a PC in the Forgotten Realms.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  07:14:48  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played for an impressive two and a half years -- mind you, I was twelve when I started. My first exposure to the Realms, though, came around eight years ago, playing Baldur's Gate with a friend. I always gobbled up what my dad told me about the game he was currently playing (DM'd by said friend's Dad).

Finally, many years and many experiences (moving from Canada to England) later, I finally started playing with my dad, and that same friend -- DM'd by his dad (again) -- by Skype (we were in England, they were in Canada). Despite the obvious difficulties of running a game that way, it's worked out amazingly well -- this summer, while we were in Canada (in transit from England to New Zealand), we even managed to get together for a face-to-face game -- one of the highlights of my summer.

Now I just need to find some people down here willing to play...

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  13:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn I'm old.... 19 years and counting.

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  11:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D for the best part of 20 years, Forgotten Realms for 15. I bought the 2E campaign box during my first term at 6th-form college, and whenever I've run games since (usually, for a year or so every 2 or 3 years) it's been FR.

3rd Edition won me over pretty quickly, but I have to say what I've seen of 4th (and specifically the changes to the Realms) leaves me utterly cold.
Go to Top of Page

Roland55
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  00:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Roland55's Homepage Send Roland55 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Mmmm... memories.

I first saw D&D at my (then) best friend's 9th birthday party. I started picking up the game and modules soon after. That was over 27 years ago.

YES! HAH HAH!!!!

Ashe has been playing D&D LONGER THAN ME!!!

WOO HOO!

I am NOT the oldest!

I started at 10 in 1982 with D&D basic set!

My friend and I used to love to ogle over the boobs in the Monster Manual I in Ms. Berger's 4th grade class

Fear not. You're still just a youth.

1975 in a grad school on the West Coast. I was skulling my way through relativistic electrodynamics and sweating blood in Goldstein's dynamics class. Walking into the library, my best friend showed up with a set of wrinkled sheets covered in smeared purple text (the "dirty purples" of old) -- an interesting wargame variant. This was both good and bad.

Good = relief of stress and tension. Bad = too much of a good thing. I did survive grad school and now it's 34 years later. I've travelled a long way down a shadowy road ... physics and D&D, together.

Jurassic Gamer
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  15:55:09  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
started in 1987 age 14 with the D&D red box
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  16:07:42  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really remember when I started I played on and off with friends in the mid-late 80s but I was army and football crazy and so it didn't particularly stick.

I think the first time I seriously sat down and played was in school, late '90-ish, no gameboys and what have you back then, though there where a few really basic LCD things, so whenever the school had crappy weather and we were kept indoors, out came the boardgames.

During one particularly bad week, we weren't alowed out at all. Then somebody on the Wednesday brought his D&D books to school and DM'ed a game. It was a Greyhawk module but I forget which, something with Greyhawk in the title.... Anyway, we really enjoyed ourselves and were hooked and we decided to finish the campaign off by heading to the library after lunch and playing.

We went back to playing football afterwards though, so again it didn't stick long term, but I remembered it a few years later ('94 ish) when I spotted a couple of Dungeons and Dragons paperbacks in WHSmiths. One was a certain novel called Elfshadow by someone named Elaine Cunningham....

The rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by - BlackAce on 01 Nov 2009 16:09:05
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  16:16:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

May of 96 while stationed in Korea. I was 24. Fun times in the Realms.

Brimstone - some of my favorite games occured while stationed on the ROK. In the winter inbetween field excercises, there is not much to do

Where were you stationed. I was at LaGuardia, near CRC.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  00:15:59  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to D&D in 88. Remember it as it was yesterday! On our first night i got to fight a treant. I had no clue what that was, but it was exciting as hell :)
I was 8 years old at the time and couldnt quite comprehend what all the fuzz was about. But when i started playing my Elven fighter i was hooked forever. Our gaming group consist of 4 really good childhood friends who have played together since that day. We never really reach the epic levels though. Think the highest level we reached was lvl 13 (which by the way is our ongoing campaign today! 10 years and running :) )
We play a couple of night a month. We are so lucky to have a really good DM, who never really like playing a character, only playing god :)

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  09:51:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure actually, as D&D and Ad&d 2ed. were not my first roleplaying games. I started with Drakar och Demoner (an old Swedish Basic Roleplaying variation that is still my system of choice) and GURPS and it was several years before we played TSR games. I think it might have been around 92', but again, I am not sure any more.
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  11:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forced my dad to buy me the old D&D red box when I was about 8 years old, and apart from a gap of a year or two when everyone went away to university, I've been playing ever since. That's 26 years. Yikes!

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Lenora Ilvastarr
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  15:26:21  Show Profile Send Lenora Ilvastarr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
October of 1982. I was 11 years old. And I want to thank a lot of people in this scroll for not making me feel old.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  22:32:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first intro to the game lasated all of ten minutes, over lunch in high school- 1993, I think. five of that was making my PC, the other five was how long she lived.... I've been playing off and on ever since, mostly 2nd and 3.5 eds. I have my own game-world now, and I am usually the DM. I have been hooked since that first demo session!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  19:22:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In May of 1982, at the age of 10, I started RPing with the Tunnels and Trolls boxed set. I switched to the D&D Basic Set in 1983, mostly because I liked the cool-looking polyhedral dice. (T&T was entirely d6's, for those who have never played.) In 1984, I switched to AD&D, but kept up with the supplement boxed sets (Companion, Master, Immortals); I no longer have those boxed sets, but a few years ago I found the original Basic and Expert rulebooks (Erol Otus cover art, 3-hole drilled) in mint condition in a used bookstore for $4 Cdn each. Yes, I bought them, even though I've never gone retro and played the old game again. I've been playing and DMing in the Realms since 1987 and the OGB. I will probably be playing 3.x/Pathfinder in the pre-Spellplague Realms or Golarion until I'm too feeble to roll dice, unless a subsequent edition really grabs my attention. I have created my own worlds, but no world has kept the interest of my fellow players or myself like the 1E/2E Realms (and, to a lesser extent, the 3.x Realms)... at least, until the release of Pathfinder and Golarion.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  00:18:42  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played my first PC whom was a thief way back in 1979. Oh damn.......I AM OLD!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

theDZA
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  00:03:18  Show Profile Send theDZA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't really pin down any exact dates, but I'm pretty sure I was in middle school, so I'm thinking it was in 1991ish. I was about 14. My sister got me into roleplaying and I first started gaming with her friends from college. I only got to play a couple of times but I was hooked. Unfortunately, it was years later that I began playing on any regular basis. That didn't stop me from buying as many books as I could in the meantime! Eventually I sold most of my 2nd edition boxed sets (big mistake!) and now I really regret that.
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  00:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since 1989. I still have my original PHB too. And we began in the Realms that very year (although I had read Darkwlaker the year before).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:25:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was just me an Eve back then, so I had to get Chaka the ape-boy and a very clever brontosaurus to play with us. We had to roll boulders - it was hard, but it made the criticals very realistic.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2012 14:53:24
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:45:37  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see. I learned about D&D in my sophomore history classroom during lunch break where a group of players were playing something, so I asked if I could watch and listen. They said I could play if I wanted to, but I told them I'd just prefer to listen. So, for the next hour, I watched and listened to what transpired. I was hooked. I couldn't believe there was a game where the imagination was utilized so. The rest was history. That was in 1980, so I guess that makes it 32 years for me. How the time go by.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:56:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found online 1996, had a few years (not saying how many) before that. Indeed some can feel and know likely younger them me *S*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  10:39:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started in high school 10 years back, i think its 8th grade. I saw a copy of the crystal shard at a local bookstore. It had an old fashioned renedering of Drizzt, Bruenor and Wulfgar on the cover, i thought that it seemed familar ( i had played baldurs gate but was unaware of the larger setting that it was based in). I read a few pages and have been hooked ever since.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000