Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 A small request to the all knowing ones...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  01:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First I'd like to say that in the short amount of time i've been here, i've found vastly informative sources of realmslore, along with intelligent and helpful Scribes. This site truly sets the standard when it comes to presentation and interpretation of Fictional reference material.
So please don't kick me out when I ask if we can have a dueling arena in the inn?

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  05:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A dueling arena?

What exactly do you mean?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  05:41:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...please explain yourself .

I'll admit, you have piqued the curiosity of this particular old sage, and that is a very hard thing to do indeed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  05:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malanthius, you're on brutha!! I'll be there if it ever gets created.

To those who are not in the know, a dueling arena is similar to what the Candlekeep Inn is, only in regards to writing fighting scenarios instead of just talking back and forth. You post in character only, and it's like a sparring match where two or more PC's fight each other to the death, first blood, or until subdued or something other that all parties agee on. If it's a real match, there is usually a moderator (referee) to make sure that everyone stays real and doesn't degrade into the "I hit you!", "No you didn't I dodged!" type of thing.

There is a similar thread over at my other frequented forum sight The Kindred Skulls called the Sparring Circle. Check it out if you're interested.
I am only a begginer at this particular style of IC writing, but I am trying to get better.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  06:16:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't exactly sound very entertaining, at least for me. I much prefer to talk, than to fight for little reason .

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  06:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows to the superior explaining abilities of miss Yasraena*
That's pretty much the idea. Particpants could create specific characters of a given level and so much in the way of materials (gold extra experiance) to customize, then we could watch them tear each other limb from limb! Er, in a civilized, educational mannor of course...

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  06:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . Mageduel, anyone?

It would be hard to regulate, though, wouldn't it? You'd need an active moderator to be a referee.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  07:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage... Spoken like a true Sage. Intellect over brawn.
It's not fighting for no reason, bro. Just think of it as another type of roleplaying, where you get to show off your abilities with your weapons or magic, and get to practice this particular style of writing (which is harder than it sounds, beleive me). I don't really like the idea of fighting to the death, but to just spar with someone, and have to write it out in a beleivable way is quite a challenge. For anyone who is into writing fantasy stories, it's really a must try, because fight scenes are a big part of that style of writing. This just hones your skill in writing that style is all.

BW... Yes it can be. Most of the stuff at Kindred is just two people wanting to practice their fighting writing skills and nothing more. There is no real consequence to what goes down, except in the actual RP threads, and those ARE moderated.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  07:10:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of having just a sparring partner. Full-blown mortal combat, as I said before does not appeal to me. Since I do a lot of fencing anyway, I think at least, this type of thing would be more enjoyable. More about strategy and tactics, than power and force.

I like this idea of linguistic-fencing (confound it ...Bookwyrm and his statement about linguistic-sexism ). Let us see what develops.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  08:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, sure, blame it all on me.

Now, would this be D&D-style? Dice rolls and all, so as to decide which way the combat goes? Otherwise it seems pretty arbitrary, and open to argument over who lands a punch or lets off a spell. How do we do the rolls, though? That would have to be installed by Alaundo or Tethtoril, and I doubt they'd be happy to to that. Or at least not pleased to have more work handed to them.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would prefer it be D&D style, making it easier as you said to arbitrate, we could have the actual roles done by a third party (ie the referee) via an online d20 program. ( i mean the third party uses the program someplace else then posts the results)

Also, the participants could roleplay what they were deing into more "writing style" terms while they were acting it out.

Mal.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  08:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do know that one forum that uses this same design that has a dice-rolling program built right in. I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere . . . .

I wonder if they'd give us a copy?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  08:10:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think that they will. If it was the link you provided some time ago, I remember asking them about using their dice-rolling program for the online campaign forum that Brynweir and I were discussing some months ago.

What was the link again anyway?...just to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  08:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Bookwrym hangs a piece of paper out on the wall so that everyone can see the address for this place . . . .::

Doesn't hold a candle to our keep . . . but an interesting place.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000