Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dark Sun 2010
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  09:30:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wizards will be releasing Dark Sun for 2010. I am kinda excited about it. It looks like the setting will be re-set to the Original Box set. With the 4E Goodness added to it

The Announcement

Product Spotlight

What are your thoughts about this fellow scribes?

And please no bashing.

This maybe my 4E Setting of Choice.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Aug 2009 00:11:57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  15:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said elsewhere, I enjoyed the Prism Pentad, and I'd like to see it's aftermath. However, this announcement says that the novels "could be one possible way things turn out" which indicates to me they're non-canon, now. So it appears this setting is getting a reboot.

I'd be more interested if it wasn't for that factor. I doubt I'll pick up this book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  15:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely interested.

And I'm also curious to see what, if anything, the designers responsible for this 4e update might have included from the athas.org "as-close-to-official" 3e update for the setting.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  16:51:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting. I was really hoping Dragonlance would get some new attention as the next setting this time around. I wonder if character trees( I think that is what they were called) will continue with the 4E format.

Edited by - scererar on 16 Aug 2009 16:52:14
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  16:54:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage: Thank you for mentioning athas.org; I'd never heard of it before now (I've been too busy in the Realms, for the most part).

From the way the announcement was made, I'd say Wooly's right about the reboot; that being the case, I'd suspect that there's very little, if anything (possibly just equipment, feats/spells/powers, and maybe prestige classes re-done as paragon paths) that will be included from the athas.org 3e update. That being the case, I'm on board with Wooly here. There are two three settings I'd like to see chronological reboots for, and Dark Sun isn't one of them. (Heh... just had a Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition" moment there... resisted the temptation to run farther with it.) Anyway, thanks again for introducing me to athas.org; I'm much more likely to be playing or DMing a Dark Sun campaign now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  21:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I´m very happy with the new. When I started do play and DM D&D, my old school friends suggest me Dark Sun or the Realms. I stay with the Realms, but I like too much of both settings.

I´m a little concerned with the point about the Prism Pentad too, but I prefer to focus in the fact that they said that "could be one possible way that things turns out". This sounds to me that the novels are not exactly discarded....

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  00:18:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The choice of Darksun is obvious when you look at the core material to be released in 2010 which deals with the 4E take on psionics.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  00:28:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, now that capnvan mentions it, I concur... that kind of stance does seem... odd. And I haven't had any alcohol (I don't drink at all), so it's (probably) not the wine talking...

I've asked before, and apparently nobody has any idea of actual sales numbers for 4E, in particular 4E Realms. All we know is that the first printing went fast... but are preorders accounting for most of that? Who knows... the publishing industry (both books and music) isn't interested in telling the public how they're doing, except when it's a New York Times bestseller or a Billboard Top 40... and even then, that's all you hear. No hard numbers. Which is ironic, given 4E's emphasis on crunch... I'm with capnvan here; not trying to start any edition wars, just wondering where the numbers are...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Aug 2009 00:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  01:05:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks as if Athas.org is down.

I think Wizards just has a way of hyping their own products. This is going to rock, that will be awesome. It is what it is.

I never really got into Dark Sun to begin with so if they do reset the setting, it no big deal to me.

Now I understand that it might be a problem to someone who has played in the setting from the beginning.

I am looking forward to this release.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Aug 2009 01:07:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  01:30:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Aye. If you search through the Internet's Way Back machine though, you'll likely find most of their old 3e DS downloads.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Aug 2009 01:31:26
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  02:41:49  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm definitely interested.

And I'm also curious to see what, if anything, the designers responsible for this 4e update might have included from the athas.org "as-close-to-official" 3e update for the setting.

the url you posted interested me so i tried to go see it but got this message:

"athas.org expired on 08/10/2009 and is pending renewal or deletion"

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  02:41:56  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given WotC's direction, Dark Sun seemed the most likely setting after Eberron. It maximizes differences from the previous annual setting. I am intrigued by their approach to start from the beginning and leaving the revision version of the setting as an option.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  02:49:13  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops sorry just read the two other posts noting that athas.org is down

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  06:06:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Aye. If you search through the Internet's Way Back machine though, you'll likely find most of their old 3e DS downloads.

Hrm... it appears to be back up now; I guess the domain name license was renewed. At least, it's working for me, and I've cleared my cache and temporary files and refreshed the page to triple-check. Can anyone else confirm?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  07:03:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

quote:

Hrm... it appears to be back up now; I guess the domain name license was renewed. At least, it's working for me, and I've cleared my cache and temporary files and refreshed the page to triple-check. Can anyone else confirm?

I got the domain name expired message. Of course, if they just re-upped it today, it might take a little time to propagate the new site info to all the appropriate servers.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Aug 2009 07:04:47
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  07:11:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speculation: It might also be why Wizards released the Fan Site Policy when they did.

I know I am looking forward to this release.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  07:46:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

quote:

I got the domain name expired message. Of course, if they just re-upped it today, it might take a little time to propagate the new site info to all the appropriate servers.

That'd be my guess too.

Anyways, 'tis working for me as well.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  07:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the interview talk about Dark Sun, have they always been trying to pass 4e off as the darker and edgier version of D&D or is this a new thing?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  08:55:49  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its always been grittier and darker than D&D. That has been my understanding of it. From what I have seen people post on the WoTc Forums, I think I am right. I will know in the near future when I start ordering old Dark Sun Products.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2009 12:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  22:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, wait until you hear they're planning an anti-cataclysm for Athas, so its now a verdant paradise, full of fluffy bunnies, gnomes and paladins!
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  13:39:31  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night I asked the players in our Monday Realms game about the re-release.

One didn't know what DS was, two were middle-road on it and one was totally excited and couldn't wait. I think I'll sit back and hope that last guy buys it, so I can try playing in 4E for a change instead of DMing it.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  18:19:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the next time you play just keep talking about Athas with the player that is excited. Excitement is contagious, so...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2009 12:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  10:09:13  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not surprising. Non-tolkienesque, darker fantasy is really popular these days.

Wotc had much better settings available, first of all Al-Qadim or a combination of Planescape and Spelljammer. They did a good job with ECG, it will probably turn out without catastrophic failures. I'd rather play in the Dying Earth, or FR with some of its elements.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  13:12:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Athas.org is up again.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  13:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah! Dark Sun is popular from the very beggining of the Setting.

And you´re right, Quale. WotC have a real ammunition of good Campaign Settings to launch upon us! Dark Sun, Al Qadim, Birthright, and all the others....

Moradin´s beard! I´m already dreaming of 2011 Campaign Setting. ^^

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  15:22:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Not surprising. Non-tolkienesque, darker fantasy is really popular these days.

Wotc had much better settings available, first of all Al-Qadim or a combination of Planescape and Spelljammer. They did a good job with ECG, it will probably turn out without catastrophic failures. I'd rather play in the Dying Earth, or FR with some of its elements.

Spelljammer is my first love when it comes to D&D settings, but I don't think it will ever be updated. The idea of space travel in D&D was too much for a lot of people, and the mechanics of how it was done threw a lot more people. It didn't help that they got a little silly with some stuff (like Giant Space Hamsters) or lifted stuff directed from Japanese movies (like the bionoid or the gamarroid). They did a partial rules update of the setting for a 3E module, but the update didn't extend past the boundaries of the adventure, and in my opinion, what little there was of it really reshaped things and took some of the magic from the setting. Additionally, the way the cosmologies all just juggled around means that now it may or may not be possible to travel thru space from one campaign setting to another, despite the fact that it was previously possible.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  15:35:45  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone asked in Rich's thread and he said that they don't have any plans for Spelljammer/Planescape in the next few years.

I only recently became familiar with Spelljammer. It is full of unique and interesting ideas. Don't consider the hamsters silly at all. I'd like to use the setting primarily for sailing through the planes, not through space, so it would add a lot of depth to the Planescape campaign material.

To be on topic, imo Dark Sun belongs with settings like Birthright, Council of Wyrms and Maztica. I don't see what's so great about it, space hamsters are more believable than some of the weird stuff in Athas, particularly don't like the extinction wars.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:33:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone asked in Rich's thread and he said that they don't have any plans for Spelljammer/Planescape in the next few years.

I only recently became familiar with Spelljammer. It is full of unique and interesting ideas. Don't consider the hamsters silly at all. I'd like to use the setting primarily for sailing through the planes, not through space, so it would add a lot of depth to the Planescape campaign material.

To be on topic, imo Dark Sun belongs with settings like Birthright, Council of Wyrms and Maztica. I don't see what's so great about it, space hamsters are more believable than some of the weird stuff in Athas, particularly don't like the extinction wars.

Well, I've always considered the Giant Space Hamsters to be one of the sillier aspects of the setting... I mean, giant hamsters? I can't take something like that seriously -- which was part of why I chose this username!

Adapting Spelljammer to have more planar aspects works readily for me, though. I've thought of it myself... And I've also considered an alternate look at spelljamming helms; with a minor tweak, it would work well for propelling ships thru the Astral, in particular -- and there's already a Dragon article that detailed Astral ships ("Voidjammers", Dragon 159, the same one that was chock full of Spelljammer goodness).

Dark Sun was an interesting setting to me, but a little too heavy on the whole environmental issue -- I'm quite sensitive to being preached to, and the whole desolate landscape and preserver/defiler thing was about as close as you can get to preaching without being overt about it.

I liked Ravenloft, too, but I wasn't a huge fan. In that one, it was the inescapable aspect that bothered me. I realize that that's a huge part of horror, but in an RPG, I want more of a victory than having a character survive and retain his sanity.

I didn't really know too much about the other settings, but I was always interested in Mystara. I'd love to see that one get some love.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:46:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>To be on topic, imo Dark Sun belongs with settings like Birthright, Council of Wyrms and Maztica. I don't see what's so great about it, space hamsters are more believable than some of the weird stuff in Athas, particularly don't like the extinction wars.

Hey! Birthright was the best thing TSR produced setting-wise for late 2E... I realise that's not saying much, but it was different and the world was perfect for political/military-style gaming, which gave D&D its best edge ever against traditional wargames since it was a wargame (the original Chainmail)... the less said about the early 3E-era Chainmail revival, the better...

I agree with your assessment of CoW and Maztica... but I still think that nuking the landmass was not the way to get rid of the latter.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:51:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>Spelljammer is my first love when it comes to D&D settings, but I don't think it will ever be updated. <chop> Additionally, the way the cosmologies all just juggled around means that now it may or may not be possible to travel thru space from one campaign setting to another, despite the fact that it was previously possible.

a) Really? Never would have guessed!
b) Sadly, I agree with you regarding its fate as a setting.
c) I plan on my own planar juggling, one that does not involve the ending of the Blood War or the elimination of a common medium for all worlds. More info as it becomes available...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  01:01:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I've always considered the Giant Space Hamsters to be one of the sillier aspects of the setting... I mean, giant hamsters? I can't take something like that seriously -- which was part of why I chose this username!
I've always wanted to use the giant space hamsters in my SJ campaigns. But I've just never found the right type of introduction for them. Considering their "silly status," they're not a particularly easy critter to write for.
quote:
Adapting Spelljammer to have more planar aspects works readily for me, though. I've thought of it myself... And I've also considered an alternate look at spelljamming helms; with a minor tweak, it would work well for propelling ships thru the Astral, in particular -- and there's already a Dragon article that detailed Astral ships ("Voidjammers", Dragon 159, the same one that was chock full of Spelljammer goodness).
I've pretty much attempted all that already. I've greatly expanded on the amount of crystal spheres and the planar structure for the campaign setting. Even borrowing ideas from the multiverses of both Marvel and DC, as well as other fantasy/sci-fi worlds.

Tweaking the spelljammer helms often leads to unexpected but fascinating results. And I'll note that the spelljammer.org site offers some intriguing possibilities also.

It's been fun.
quote:
Dark Sun was an interesting setting to me, but a little too heavy on the whole environmental issue -- I'm quite sensitive to being preached to, and the whole desolate landscape and preserver/defiler thing was about as close as you can get to preaching without being overt about it.
I've always been intrigued by the world. I purchased all of the supplements as they were released, and read all the novels. But I've never had the opportunity to run campaigns in DARK SUN.
quote:
I liked Ravenloft, too, but I wasn't a huge fan. In that one, it was the inescapable aspect that bothered me. I realize that that's a huge part of horror, but in an RPG, I want more of a victory than having a character survive and retain his sanity.
RAVENLOFT, along with DRAGONLANCE, was my original TSR RPG love. Then, with the publication of the Realms, and eventually PLANESCAPE, I suddenly had other favourites too.

It's been a wild ride!
quote:
I didn't really know too much about the other settings, but I was always interested in Mystara. I'd love to see that one get some love.
MYSTARA's fun, but I found BIRTHRIGHT to be more appealing in the short-term. MYSTARA has plenty of setting depth, though, but it takes a long time to work through some of the stuff.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000