Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 (4e) Some questions about Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlimFlam69
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:21:46  Show Profile  Visit FlimFlam69's Homepage Send FlimFlam69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am fairly new to the Forgotten Realms setting and I have a few general questions about Netheril. I am running the starter campaign in the 4e FR Campaign book (where you start in Loudwater, a town within Netheril) and I want to expand upon this particular realm, but the answers to my questions can't be found within the campaign book.

It seems like there is a lot of talk about Netherese spies and how Cormyr (and other bordering realms) is on high guard against Netheril. Is Netheril considered an "evil" empire, kind of like Mordor in Lord of the Rings?

How do the common folk and adventurers native to Netheril see their rulers? Are they tyrants? Do the people feel oppressed by them? Or are most people patriotic to the causes of their rulers and country?

I may have other questions later on, but these are the basic ones. Thanks in advance!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:40:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... So much to cover.

If you have a chance, pick up the Return of the Archwizards trilogy of novels to give you a backstory of the city of Shade. If not, then I recommend taking a look at the Campaign Journal section in the Player's Guide to Faerūn where it summarizes the city's return from the Shadow Plane.

In answer to your question: Yes, they would be considered an 'evil' empire, sworn to revere the goddess Shar. The leaders of the city are Shades themselves, warped creatures made of shadowstuff that have been alive for centuries on the demiplane of Shadow after the fall of the Netheril empire. They returned in 1371 from that plane to 'reestablish' the empire throughout the lands, but have been resisted by most of the folk of Faerūn since their appearance. The city itself floats over Anauroch, the Great Desert, and the people that live there are either servants of Shar or slaves. In a way, they are similar to the drow in that there's only one religion and people that would be considered 'outsiders' aren't tolerated for long. But since most of the people are half-shade or krinth anyway, there's not a lot of rebellion towards the status quo.

As far as I know, there aren't any 'adventurers' native to Shade (I'm sorry, none of my PCs recognize the Netheril Empire in modern times, so I'm in the habit of not calling it that), but there may be some sent out from the lands on quests for the Princes. I'm not sure about the Sembians that are part of the empire as of the current times, but I'm sure that some feel oppressed while others are very patriotic. (The Princes have very good 'spin control' for how they are viewed in their own lands).

Does that help?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  23:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlimFlam69

I am fairly new to the Forgotten Realms setting and I have a few general questions about Netheril. I am running the starter campaign in the 4e FR Campaign book (where you start in Loudwater, a town within Netheril) and I want to expand upon this particular realm, but the answers to my questions can't be found within the campaign book.

Remember that Loudwater itself isn't part of Netheril. It's instead the capital of the Gray Vale (see page 100 in the Player's Guide.) A lot of what the section on Loudwater in the Campaign Guide draws on isn't related to Netheril at all.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  01:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well to put it short and to the point Netheril is an "evil" empire as has been stated. It was more of a neutral empire back in the day before it was destroyed by Karsus's spell he casted to take the goddess's power over magic called the Weave.

On that bleak day (or slightly before I can't remember) the city of Shade went to the Plane of Shadow to escape the doom that befell the empire. Then in 1371 as Ashe said it returns and sets out to destroy the phaerimm creatures that were their most hated enemy, but at the expense of Evereska, Cormyr, and the North to name a few. They tried to give life back to the Aunourch (sp?) by melting ice caps which was eventually stopped but not until it had damaged the eco-system of the surrounding regions.

They have been trying to rebuild the Netheril Empire as it once was before the empire fought the phaerimm creatures and Karsus's spell. They are definately tyrants, but try subtle tactics of spying and diplomacy to conquer their foes then with outright brute force. Sembia would be the evidence of this tactic.

As for the people of Shade they are patriotic. The Bedine and Sembians are for the majority under their rulership, but some rebel against them. Think of Cormyr, Netheril, Sembia, and Myth Drannor as in the middle of a Cold War with one another. Skirmishes break out every now and again, but its everyone outside of these nations where all the spies of these factions are trying to push them to their side or keep their enemies from taking one of their allies. Similar to NATO vs Warsaw Pact as a real world example as a guide.

That is as best as I can describe it. But the sources already listed would give you a better detailed picture then I can provide in a short post.

Good luck with your campaign.

Edited by - Ghost King on 22 Jul 2009 01:37:13
Go to Top of Page

FlimFlam69
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  05:41:11  Show Profile  Visit FlimFlam69's Homepage Send FlimFlam69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the replies and info. I did not realize that Loudwater was in The Gray Vales. Actually, I thought The Gray Vales were a part of Netheril, not its own nation, so thanks for clearing that up!

I am running the Loudwater campaign as a segway into the Scepter Tower of Spellgard, and that is located in Netheril, so I think I assumed Loudwater was as well. Anyway, thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000