Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3.5 FR Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  02:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ultra quick and easy question for you lot. I need a list of all the 3.5 FR books, preferably ranked in order, with the one with the most amount of crunch (which I'm guessing will be the Players Guide) at the top.

Doesn't need to be exact, just a quick guestimate will do. Thanks in advance!

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  03:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Player's Guide to Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Champions of Valor
Champions of Ruin
Dragons of Faerun
Underdark
(Unapproachable East)
Shining South
That big three book adventure trilogy
Sons of Gruumsh
Lost Empires of Faerun
(Races of Faerun)
Power of Faerun
Grand History of the Realms

Parentheses are the two 3.25 books that are technically 3.0 but knew a lot about 3.5.

Edited by - Arivia on 17 Jul 2009 03:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  17:35:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew there was a reason why LEoF, PoF, and GHotR are my three favourite 3.5 Realms books...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  18:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PoF is the only one that I have read cover-to-cover of those three. I still need to buy the Shadowdale, Anauroch, and Moon Sea adventures.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  15:44:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incidentally I have all these books for sale. Ten dollars (CAN) per item is what I'm angling for...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  22:13:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the list again, I probably would have ranked the adventure trilogy above Underdark and Shining South for crunch content... but that might just be because of my dislike for 4.0 and the fact that, if I want crunch, I'll buy a bag of chips. Anyone can bash out stats; it's the lore content that made a pre-4E FR book worth buying, because that's the stuff that's time-consuming for DMs to create on their own. We can hope that Wizbro will have figured some of these things out by the time 4.5 comes along...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  14:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One should really have a look at Amazon's marketplace sites, as you can get very (as in VERY) good deals for some FR books now - stocks need to be cleared, apparently.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  22:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside, the reason I wanted this list was so I can prepare to convert as much of the crunch as possible to the Pathfinder rules. Should be easy enough to do, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  23:57:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

As an aside, the reason I wanted this list was so I can prepare to convert as much of the crunch as possible to the Pathfinder rules. Should be easy enough to do, I think.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

In that case, Power of Faerun might be hardest, as its treatment of leadership rules depends upon epic underpinnings that might not be true for Pathfinder.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  03:59:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Ashe said. I can't wait until next month.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Jul 2009 04:00:41
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  01:15:58  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Player's Guide to Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Champions of Valor
Champions of Ruin
Dragons of Faerun
Underdark
(Unapproachable East)
Shining South
That big three book adventure trilogy
Sons of Gruumsh
Lost Empires of Faerun
(Races of Faerun)
Power of Faerun
Grand History of the Realms

Parentheses are the two 3.25 books that are technically 3.0 but knew a lot about 3.5.

Would you have a list of the 3.0 books per chance?

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  02:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the same order:

Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun (has 3e red/monster trade dress)
City of the Spider Queen
Faiths and Pantheons
Lords of Darkness
Magic of Faerun
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Silver Marches

Additionally, my 3.5 list missed Mysteries of the Moonsea and the Twilight Tomb if you're being really completist.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  05:45:47  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  20:21:13  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

In the same order:

Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun (has 3e red/monster trade dress)
City of the Spider Queen
Faiths and Pantheons
Lords of Darkness
Magic of Faerun
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Silver Marches

Additionally, my 3.5 list missed Mysteries of the Moonsea and the Twilight Tomb if you're being really completist.

I would add Into the Dragon's Lair too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000