Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  02:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In prep for your first night out on the trail, please give me a watch schedule, based on an eight hour rest period. Also, please note any specific precautions you're taking. Once I've got an idea who'll be up when, I'll go ahead with night.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  02:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you asked for I was just about to send you a PM about it. I'll take mid watch after a 4 hour rest (since I need the least for being an elf and not a caster). So I'll be going to bed/trance first to be able.

However, before rest my character would set up some simple snares around the camp to keep would be bandits or the like, from getting an easy drop on us. I'll let the party know about where to tread safely. I'll even make some decoy traps easy to spot even by untrained people to scare off or fake out any possible attackers. Would you like me to make a check for that or just when or if it is relevant?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering when the set snares thing would show up, since I had exactly the same though on the first camp in Barshevy's campaign. Creating a single snare takes 1d8 hours of work. So you could try, but it could take all night.

If you want, you can try anyway, and then decide to abandon the project after a certain number of hours. You can also set up three false snares in about an hour.

Finally, I'm assuming that your "rest period" will be eight hours. Is that a correct assumption? Or are you going for a longer time? "Middle watch" after 4 hours doesn't make any sense if the whole thing is only eight hours. This is all up to you, so however you decide to handle it is fine with me.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:31:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lori will likely stay awake for a little while. She's quite upset with Fel and may just need a bit of comforting from the noble paladin before she goes to rest in his tent. Then she'll be in reverie for the middle of the night and study her spells at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Jocepi
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Jocepi's Homepage Send Jocepi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorme drank some and will take first watch.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran talks with Lori when she comes into his tent about everything that's happened and also Fel, comforting her as best he can. No words can be made out by others. Joran claims first watch, and will happily take it with Lori since her eyes are better than his in the dark and she's still up.

OOC: Would you mind if Joran took first watch since he doesn't have infravision, Gorme?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 08 Sep 2009 04:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:54:42  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Lori needs comforting? Remember the important stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  03:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felgaris is an early riser, and will take last watch. I assume with 5 people covering 8 hours we can have a bit of overlap on each watch, although I haven't done the math to determine the exact amount of time.

Also, Felgaris is most certainly not drinking any of the stranger's wine. Although I doubt I had to point that out.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  04:03:31  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
6 people - Burt, Felgaris, Lori, Gorme, Joran, and Mal. Roughly an hour and a half each, but I figure there should be overlap - 2 hour watches - perhaps 2 people on first and last watch?
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  04:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot!! Joran will take a respectful sip of the wine, though no more. One must keep a clear head for watch, as well as the road ahead.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  09:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can take one of the middle slots cos i've got infravision.

Also, i've never really played Shadowrun, just a healthy dose of scepticism is part of the character lol

Edited by - Tyr on 08 Sep 2009 09:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  09:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a quick read over the elf abilities and I guess they don't have the ability to rest less than the other races in 2nd ed. Well I suppose that changes things slightly, and I'll just take first watch then go to sleep. Whomever is next he'll wake when its their turn etc.

Forget the traps and anything else I had planned. Not really worth the time to set up in the first place when we are on the move now that I think about it. Just assume I don't bother unless were staying in one place longer then a night.

Recap is I'm taking first watch. Not setting traps of any kind (real or fake). That's it!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  20:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's stated in other books about elves requiring 6 hours of reverie, I think. And also, wouldn't it make more sense having the human on first watch since he doesn't have infravision?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 08 Sep 2009 20:07:46
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  20:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go with six. And you're semi-aware of what's going on, but take as long as a human to come to full wakefulness (and you're just as groggy).

So we've six people spread over eight hours. If you're pulling two hour watches (more or less, what with there not being any clocks), that's two watches with two people, and two with one. Spellcasters would need to either take the first or last watch to get enough rest to memorize spells. How's that?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  20:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  21:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your campaign and your rules. I'm fine with 8 hours I just didn't think it was like that for I kind of just skimmed the racials in the front of the book figuring they were the same as 3rd for the most part. Guess I was wrong so sorry for the confusion.

Just had my character take first watch the first night cause I thought that is what he would do.

Give me whatever watch seems suitable.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  21:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you didn't think I was being a jerk or anything, GK. I'm not a bad guy, LOL. The reason my post was so abrupt and quick was I had to literally post and run out of the door to take care of dire business in town. I almost had forgotten about it. I'm so sorry if you think I was being rude or anything the like. We're old gaming buddies from another PbP, and I hope I came off a nice guy there.

Now that I have the time, I think it's in Elves of Evermeet or Complete Elves Handbook. I think it's where I got my info...

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 08 Sep 2009 21:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  22:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GK, since you're scouting, please let me know how far ahead of the party you generally stay, and any particular precautions you take.

Also, is anyone traveling as rear-guard?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  22:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran will offer, unless he'd serve as a better front man. Different parties have different requirements. Front or back of the group, I'm good.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

No offense taken.

I'm glad, my friend. I didn't realize how rude that may have come off till I got back and saw your post. Then I felt really bad.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  22:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's say 300 feet in front of the group usually. He'll probably always check in around every hour (give or take 15 minutes) to keep them from thinking he was ambushed or lost. He'd also let them know the warning signal (something like an animal noise that would appear innocent) in case danger is approaching if he can't get back to them to warn them in person or of giving away the ability of the element of surprise.

Aside from that I can't think of anything else except he always has his bow in hand while scouting if that makes any difference.

Edited by - Ghost King on 08 Sep 2009 22:55:44
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  23:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

No offense taken.

I'm glad, my friend. I didn't realize how rude that may have come off till I got back and saw your post. Then I felt really bad.

Well, Pen, no need to feel bad. I've had a great deal of experience with interacting with people, and I usually just take what people say with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  23:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it. I have a great deal of experience in working with the public, so I've learned to deal with people too. And how to key a Durango properly when the father is a jerk to me.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  23:36:51  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Joran will offer, unless he'd serve as a better front man. Different parties have different requirements. Front or back of the group, I'm good.

Lori will end up in line wherever Joran is and attempt to keep an eye on something other than those cute little dimples. (Sorry, she made me write that.)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  14:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prozac? Not so much. Shrooms, on the other hand...

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  22:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, I have family coming in tonight and will be here very rarely till Friday. I'll do my best to check in, though.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  22:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can have Joran get knocked unconscious in the first round of combat, if that'll help...

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  22:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No... I plan on doing that if a certain family member shows up to myself in real life, LOL. I'd hate for all that to reflect on Joran.

I'll try to hop on for a little bit later tonight/this afternoon. After all my stuff is taken care of and all trips are made.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Jocepi
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  03:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Jocepi's Homepage Send Jocepi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to figure out how to link without posting the url.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000