Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  20:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, Joran, I added a column to the Money/Equipment sheet to track money you've earned since you last tithed. I'll add to it every time I add to your general money list; I figure this will help us figure out exactly what you owe when the time comes. Then it will reset to zero when you tithe, and the whole thing can start all over.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  01:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few general questions:

What time of year is it? This may influence what supplies Felgaris picks up.

How closely will we be keeping track of food, rations, etc? Do we need to worry about making a deduction from our $$ totals every time we purchase a meal?

And to Jocepi: what did Gorme mean by "third hour of the day?" Is that 3 am or 3 pm?

Edited by - Cardoc on 01 Sep 2009 01:13:54
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  01:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarsakh 3, 1353 DR. is the date of the meeting so effectively April as a reference, which would be spring-like weather the group is entering into. If Faerun is anything like the northern climates in the area we are at then it will probably be raining quite a bit and cool weather but warm enough you won't die of frost bite. Still there might be a chance of a cold weather spell that might freeze precipitation or snow so you might want to still bring clothes that are heavy to keep warm. At the very least a winter blanket would suffice.

I assumed he meant 3 pm considering 3 am would still have us in darkness and no shops would be open to buy supplies. Nor would the tavern we met at (aside from Felgaris) wouldn't be open at that hour.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  02:04:32  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah - we better get an answer cause I assumed 3 hours after sunrise or like 8-9 am or so
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  02:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scornubel's churches (of Lathander and Torm) ring their bells on the hour, so conceivably a meeting time of 3 AM is not out of the question. However, I agree with Brynweir that Gorme probably meant three hours after dawn. I think we chalk this up to Gorme slipping into a dwarven method of keeping time, what with being surrounded by dwarven items.

Cardoc, GK is correct in all particulars. It's early April. You're far enough south that snow is unlikely, though not unheard of. Rain, however, is likely. For a seven or eight day journey (depending on how many days you spend at the ruin), you're almost certain to get at least one and maybe more days of rain. Nights will be cool to cold, but not freezing. The rivers are still swollen with spring melt, though some of the fords are becoming passable again.

As for accounting, I was thinking about that earlier. As long as you eat at fairly "average" places, I'm not going to worry about charging for every meal. If you decide to go out for, or host, a banquet, that's different. For trail food, again, I'm not going to be too worried at this point. You're going on a fairly short trip through (relatively) safe territory, water will be plentiful, and there's a couple of people with Hunting. Food shouldn't be that much of an issue. As long as you have some iron rations, which you'll burn through, things will be fine.

Where that will change is if you undertake any sort of major expedition. Crossing Anauroch, delving into unknown Underdark caverns, that sort of thing where you're far from resupply will shift the tenor of food, and we'll take closer watch of things like food and water.

GK, from your earlier post, what sort of trap stuff are you talking about? Set snares stuff tends to be improvised, that's one of the reasons they take so long to create. You wouldn't need much more than some rope, a hatchet to cut wooden stakes and such, and a shovel for pit traps. On the other hand, the Complete Ranger's Handbook has two kinds of traps (enclosing and killing) that add +1 to your set snares proficiency check. They come in various sizes for different sized animals, but you'd probably need a mule to carry more than one or two.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  02:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS: Which leads to the question: what sort of tent did you buy, Joran, and is anyone else getting one? Since there aren't any descriptions of the PHB tents, I'm going to go by the Complete Ranger's descriptions. Of the four tents they give, one's for arctic use. The other three are: bell (looks like a simple cone), wedge or A-frame (low to the ground, open at head and foot, and pyramid (has four posts at each corner and a taller one in the center). All of them obviously have long, wooden poles as a major component.

Info:
Bell - 4 gp/10 lbs./2 people
Wedge - 5 gp/10 lbs./1 person
Pyramid - 15 gp/15 lbs./probably most of the group

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  03:06:29  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lori is going to rely on the kindness of strangers
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  07:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm that sounds expensive to buy by the sounds of it. And I don't have money spare for that much so I'll just buy some more hemp rope (50ft) and a hatchet to make the usual type of wilderness traps. Total 2 more gold off my current income. Combined with everything (from each post) would be 5 gold and 7 silver.

Hmm knowing that I'll go ahead and pay another 5 gold to pick up a small tent. So grand total of all items are 10 gold and 7 silver. That should be my all I'm spending and adding to the equipment list.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  08:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone else wants to chip in we could say put in a few gp each and get the big one
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  18:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have definite "sleepy time" posts from Cardoc, Jocepi, and Tyr. Brynweir, Joran, GK, are your characters doing anything before everyone heads to bed?

Things to consider for the next day:
1) Are any spellcasters changing their default spells?
2) Joran, are you bringing your horse, and Gorme your mule?
3) What is going to be your marching order?
4) Also give some thought to watches once we get to night.
5) Are you going to follow the rivers, or save time by going overland? By the rivers will get you to the castle by sunset on the third day, while going overland will save a few hours and get you there around 3PM. Barring, of course, interesting things happening along the way. Neither way is excessively travelled.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already posted my character as "going to sleep", but he'll probably just prepare for tomorrow by getting his already prepared gear in order. I noticed one thing that I didn't include my secondary proficiency and that would be bowyer/fletcher seeing as Mal uses the bow and was a scout/hunter it seemed like a sound choice to have.

Anyways, I'll be taking point in the marching order being the scout. I'll also take watch in the middle of the night and be the first to bed since I only need 4 hours of rest. Mal would rather not go through the overland country for he doesn't know how well the group as a whole will weather the traveling. Staying close to fresh water means easy hunting for game to feed the group and less likely to get lost. Plus while it does increase the chances of being jumped by bandits it also increases the chances we'll run across throps or hamlets if we need any minor supplies along the way.

Anyways, that is what Mal will recommend once we move forward to tomorrow. Oh, fyi, he'll buy the list of supplies I stated above in the morning before meeting up at the tavern.

Edited by - Ghost King on 01 Sep 2009 21:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No changes to Felgaris' spells. I imagine he'll march somewhere in the middle, and can take his turn at watch just about whenever. If anyone is familiar with the terrain he'll take their recommendations on a route, otherwise he's likely to prefer the fastest route possible.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:54:27  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for doing anything before going to bed, Joran and I can handle that on the side without sapping up the board I consider Lori done for the day as far as the group is concerned - no need to wait on me.

Things to consider for the next day:
1) Are any spellcasters changing their default spells? I'll stick with my default for now.
2) Joran, are you bringing your horse, and Gorme your mule?
3) What is going to be your marching order? Lori will march with her big hunk of meatshield - er, Joran, of course
4) Also give some thought to watches once we get to night. Doesn't matter to Lori, but she needs to study spells, so she's good as long as she has time to do that - and she can go on short sleep too.
5) Are you going to follow the rivers, or save time by going overland? By the rivers will get you to the castle by sunset on the third day, while going overland will save a few hours and get you there around 3PM. Barring, of course, interesting things happening along the way. Neither way is excessively travelled. Lori votes for overland and quick, but she's no ranger, so she'll defer to Mal or someone else with a good argument.
Go to Top of Page

Jocepi
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  04:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Jocepi's Homepage Send Jocepi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No changes, yes to the mule, guarding the rear of the party, any watch'll do, and the river makes the most sense to him fresh food and water and we only sacrifice a few hours.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  09:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran will only take his horse if everyone else has a mount. As for managing other things, Lori and Joran can indeed take care of that on the side. Joran will offer to lead, unless Mal wishes front seeing as he has scouting experience. If that's the case, Joran will come in second if that's all right. And yes, you can consider Joran finished for the day as well.

If any of this is confusing (as it seems to me since I'm currently exhausted) I'll fix it in the morning after I get up.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 02 Sep 2009 09:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran, you'll be paying to stable your horse while you're gone. I'll figure out how much it'll cost when I get back home and get access to my books.

I think that's just about everyone, so I'll get a "Moving out" post up later today.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  21:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand. I appreciate your thoroughness, Hoon.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  00:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just waiting for Jocepi and Tyr to check in, then the party will head out.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2009 :  14:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For most of the day I'll be unable to post if at all. Just figured I'd give a heads up!
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  04:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all, wouldn't be surprised if you all knew about this already but this is a pretty sweet map of the Realms I like to use. It comes in handy when I'm playing in a campagin set in a region I'm not too famliar with....like Scornubel for example.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_150.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  14:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the infamous 3e poster map. That's the one that had its empty spaces butchered to fit on a single poster.

There's a better map, older, put together by a fan from published pieces that's much more accurate. I've got it in pdf, but I'll see what I can do to get a postable copy for people to reference.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  18:00:32  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to post until someone else does because, unless you all want this stranger to know EVERYTHING that we know about where we're going, someone had better shut Lori up I'm fairly sure that Mal knows her well enough to see what's coming... and Joran might have a clue by now about how she is. "Somebody stop me!"
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  18:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, i'm sorely tempted to lie, but not really sure on any special history of the woods lol.

Could always spill the beans, if there's trouble later on - More XP for us lol!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  20:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how you all jump to maximum paranoia. You wouldn't happen to be old Shadowrun hands, would you?

I'm going to have to keep this in mind...

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  20:39:57  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least my PC is NOT paranoid... only I am I can't imagine why that might be.... and I'm not pointing any fingers... They know who they are
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There I posted to save your butt, Bryn!

On the note about Shadowrun: Yes, Hoon, I have. And it made me a wiser PC for it. As well as the many Cloak and Dagger campaigns, Ravenloft, and other sinister plots my DMs always had for our groups. I usually play detective characters most of the time and so I usually find out stuff I shouldn't about evil organizations/plans going on. It is one of my talents. If there is something shady going on I always seem to find it. No matter how well it was hidden. Just that most of the time I end up dead because the group doesn't back me up (at least in my usual gaming group) when I find it all out.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  00:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay. We're being hit with some severe storms today, and it might even stretch into tomorrow. I don't know quite yet. Just a heads up for everyone today.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  00:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem, it's been raining off and on here for the past two days as well, though thankfully nothing more than heavy rain.

By the way, did anyone drink the wine Altaron poured? He was not being stingy drinking it himself, and poured several cups to share.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  00:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not. Mal barely can stand drinking the swill (as he would put it) of the taverns. He probably wouldn't drink it. Unless it is elven wine he probably wouldn't even be tempted. If it is he may, but since he is very serious when he is scouting for a group the answer would probably still be no he didn't drink it.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  01:05:03  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lori did - er, will
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000