Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  03:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deaf! You are all deaf! You need to stop listening to loud music and hanging around in busy forges.

Jocepi, the format is: *url="url goes here"]Text to display goes here[/url*

Replace the asterisks with appropriate brackets. The key is the ="url" and making sure to actually add the close quotes. It can be finicky, I've had to edit posts multiple times because I left something out and got a long http string.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 10 Sep 2009 03:34:11
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  04:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also try reading this post:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12385&whichpage=25

Look for my post about halfway down the page (there is only one from me). The description that Barshevy gave here helped me to figure it out. It is tough to describe it clearly in text.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  14:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran, are you advancing to meet the goblins, or are you staying back with the party?

The group is far enough back from the hill that the party will get a free round of missile/magic fire before the goblins enter melee range.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  01:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran will advance to the front of the party with the rest of the main fighters, and will hold his ground to wait on them.

By the way, I'll only be on this once tonight.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  03:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People have been asking about critical hits and natural 20's, and have been rolling enough of them that I can't procrastinate any longer. But I wanted to give the rest of you a say as well.

I'd like to try using the full critical hit system from Combat and Tactics. I never have before, and it's always intrigued me. The basic mechanic is that a critical hit is scored whenever you roll 18 or higher and hit your target by five or more. You deal double damage, and your opponent has to make a save vs. death to avoid a special injury related to the hit (like minor bleeding or a broken arm).

However, if we go this route, you will also be subject to critical hits. It wouldn't be fair to my poor monsters, otherwise. I don't mind doing most of the rolling on the tables, in case people don't have C&T (you'll be rolling your own saves, of course), but I wanted to see if anyone had any strong objections before moving ahead. To allow me to get used to it, you wouldn't be affected until the end of this adventure (which gives you an extra weapon in all fights until you get back to Scornubel).

So, what do you think?

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  03:43:16  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any particular objections. I'm fine with either method.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  04:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  09:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure, go ahead. Would be cool to see how it works.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  09:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the 20 being a critical hit, and dealing double damage myself. I've used the additional rules, including hit location, and think they're a bad idea. Just my thoughts.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  02:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhh... hello? Anyone here? Anyone have more business with the goblins? Or should I just skip ahead to the night?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  03:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll ask a question, actually, before my computer decides to tick me off again. Do the goblins have any marks on them, or anything identifying a group or order? Necklace, or anything like that? It is rather odd that goblins would be this close to a town of good size. And this doesn't strike me as a place like Trademeet, after all.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  06:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We found parchment with goblin handwriting on it that looks like messages of some sort but don't know what it says. I personally have nothing more to add, Hoon, for you already said we looted the corpses of anything of value and weapons if they were even worth good quality to take. As far as I'm concerned the matter is closed unless everyone wants to back-track a day to find out what the goblin handwriting says. Mal isn't going to suggest a coarse of action and is just going to assume the mission to the castle for the dwarven artifact is still a go.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  09:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, thought we were done with the goblins, i'd vote for carrying on and just keeping hold of the notes.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  10:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it sounds good to me, too. Still doing my best to keep up.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  13:07:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me. I'll get ou all to nightfall later today.

Two of the short swords are actually decent weapons. Human make (Joran, you recognize a Hill's Edge trade stamp on one of them), but perfectly servicable. Do you take them? Also, are you doing anything special with the bodies?

Malythiir, please total up the number of arrows you used (not including the last goblin). There's a rule on whether arrows break if used that I can't remember the specifics of, but we can determine how many broke tonight once we know the starting point.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  23:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should be 8 sheaf arrows total used in the fight.
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  00:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, sorry for the absence over the past few days. I hope to get a post up tonight. Glad to see nobody died in our little goblin fight!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  01:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Died, ha! No one even got hurt.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  13:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New post is up. Sorry for not doing it yesterday, yesterday was sort of a lost day for me.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  03:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you, Jocepi, Tyr. I was beginning to be concerned that you'd been hit by trucks and not told us, or something. For my own piece of mind, and this goes for everyone, if you find that for a while you don't have anything to say, toss up a "And I wander along, listening" post, just to let me know you're still there. And if you find it happening a lot, let me know; this game is supposed to be fun for everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  23:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. Invisible Castle still seems to be down. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2009 :  03:38:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok- I don't really know what to do about this other than toss it out there and discuss it. My PC is having huge issues with the way this party is behavng right now. Due to the way she is/thinks, she's really considering either killing one of you or simply slipping away in the middle of the night. Joran has talked her out of those things for the moment, but it's still there in the back of her mind. I don't know what to do about it or how you guys would like to handle it.

She'd be totally fine with just having it all out before going into the castle, but she's very annoyed right now. Yes, I agree she's likely blowing it out of proportion, but I thought you guys should be able to put in your two- bits and Hoondatha asked me to post it here as well....
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2009 :  08:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bryn, its a game, do what you what you think your character would do as long as you have an in-game reason to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2009 :  23:20:45  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize it's only a game, but I also realize that with people's schedules being what they are we haven't had all that much IC interaction (except Jori and Lori) and I just wanted to make you guys aware of things that your PCs might pick up on had there been more said IC or whatever. I'm not terribly upset over it, I just didn't think it would be fair to vanish or to kill someone without a heads up.

[OOC: I may have confused some of you by posting as my other character - lol]
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  03:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think everyone is doing a pretty good job conveying what their characters' feel. I've certainly picked up on the fact that Lori and Mal aren't too fond of Felgaris at the moment, although thats pretty obvious!

Here's my take on everyone so far:

Gorme - the pragmatist. Says and does what he thinks makes the most sense, even if it isn't the most pleasant.

Lori - just wants everyone to get along! Protective of her friends.

Mal - a bit cocky, and very protective of his friends. Also a bit defensive?

Joran - hasn't been able to RP much since early in the adventure, but seems patient and respectful. Very much the knight. Probably won't mind seriously throwing down if he thinks its necessary.

Burt - tough for me to get a read on his personality at this point.

Felgaris - the cynic, and the realist. A bit of an ego. To be honest I'm still feeling him out, and my posts are mostly a gut reaction to how I feel he'd act in the given situation.

To Brynweir's point of Lori considering to bail on us: I hope she doesn't. I know she's having a major problem with Felgaris but, if she were to go back and consider most of the things he's said/done that upset her she would realize that it was all logical and very much in the interest of the group's well-being. Felgaris may have a bit of an abrasive manner, but he's not openly malicious. To be honest, he's had it pretty rough for awhile and his trust in others and social graces have suffered as a result. I don't know if it's in Lori's character to notice any of this or not, but I thought it was worth posting.

For what its worth, I'm having alot of fun and would hate to see the group break up so soon. I think the characters' personality conflicts are a major part of what makes this game good and gives us all real opportunities to RP and see our PCs grow.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  13:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GK, what do you mean by "scouting the castle?" That's pretty much the whole point of this part of the adventure. I'll post a more detailed description a little later, but in essence, though its curtain walls are uneven, somewhat fallen down, and look in some places to actually have sunk into the ground, they aren't actually broken in any places. There's really only one entrance, the main entrance overlooking the river, though there's some windows on the south side you might be able to squeeze through.

Are you circling the entire castle? How close are you getting? Are you going up to the entryway? Oh, I also have a scan of the poster map that went with this adventure that I'll be linking to, so we wont' be stumbling around blind inside.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  10:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer your first question with a qoute:

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King
He tries to sneak up and gather intelligence from a distance.

If I can scout the whole perimeter of the castle from natural cover outside, I shall. If the castle is huge (like bigger than a keep/tower and small wall surrounding it), then I'll just go climb a tree on a hill high enough to see over the castle's outer wall and see if there is anything out of place that doesn't seem it should be apart of the a ruined castle. That means any recent new construction, fresh paint, or looks like it is inhabited in any way recently. I would also look to see if there is any fresh tracks, especially from humaniods, going to or from the castle at its enterance. At the closest distance I'll ever get is 100 feet to the outer wall until the group catches up. I'm also spotting to see if I see anyone moving about outside the walls or in the courtyard (from my limited perception through the gate entrance or perched from a tree capable of seeing over the wall if such a place exists).

I'll keep it in mind in the future to be more precise in my word use, but it wasn't my intent to say I wanted to solo the entire adventure by myself. My usual gaming group just uses the word scouting to say in general we are actively surveying the outside for potential threats or recent activity from looking from a distance. That is how our DM knows to allow us a chance of not getting caught unawares or to notice things we normally wouldn't if not actively searching for clues. Hope that clears up the whole confusion on the issue.

Edited by - Ghost King on 14 Oct 2009 10:06:10
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  00:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure I've adapted to open the campaign came with a poster map. That's part of what made it a traditional first adventure in the games I ran with my friends. I've uploaded the map to Photobucket; it's not a perfect way of sharing it, but it's better than nothing. I'm also going to be adding a coordinates system so you can tell me exactly where you want your character to move.

Though the original isn't labeled, I'm going with the standard of each square is 5 feet. If you have little pictures of your characters (or anything, really) you want to send me, I'll shrink them down and move them around to show where people are. Otherwise, you'll be the first letter of your character's name.

Oh, and fair warning: I've changed a couple of the things on the map, so just because you see it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually there. I'll let you discover which ones I'm talking about, though...

Muahahaha!!

Castle Kraal Map

Go to Top of Page

Jocepi
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  15:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Jocepi's Homepage Send Jocepi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a word or two on the PC relations and Lori thing... I think the party is working well. For a gaggle of adventurers that hardly know one another, save the friends that is. Personalities will clash especially with the current surroundings and environment. Lori may want everyone to get along but that is just not going to happen right away. Felgaris gave a great run down of personalities he pretty much nailed Gorme's, give it time, it'll all come out in the wash. I know if I was slogging through a swamp after days on the road and a couple fights I'd be a little edgy.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  13:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm... Hey there. Where'd everyone go?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000