Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  23:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and in case I didn't make this clear (I probably didn't), you'll be meeting up at Tauster's house. Right now, the time for Joran and Gorme is about 3 PM and for Lorelei and Malythiir it's about noon. The meeting will probably end up being around 4 PM, but since we still have two players who haven't had a chance to post, we'll let people just continue on their own paths for now. When you're done, post something along the lines of "And he/she goes to the meeting" and you'll jump ahead.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  15:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, we've got two options for our merry band of gamblers: you can role-play it out, or we can settle it with a Gaming roll and jump forward to the meeting. Since everyone (save Felgaris, who I'm god-modding at the moment) has checked in, I'd prefer the second option, but it's up to you.

Also, how much are you going to be wagering, GK? And is Old Man's Bones based on a RW game I'm just not recognizing, or are you making it up as you go along?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  16:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... isn't it listed as a game in the FRCS? I'm away from my books right now, so I can't check for certain.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  22:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is in the FRCS (3rd edition) on page 96 with the description. It is actually called Old Men's Bones, but I remembered it as Old Man's Bones so slight typo on my part. Anyways, its based off the modern game of pick-up sticks. And I'm fine with just making a gaming roll. I don't want to be the source of holding up game play for everyone else.

Edit: Oh and Mal is wagering all but five copper of his coin. Just figure as the game goes on he convinces them to pay in more to that point if they'll go that far.

Edited by - Ghost King on 23 Aug 2009 23:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  23:23:46  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't planning on RPing it out either. Gaming roll sounds fine to me even if I'm not directly gaming
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  00:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I never would have found it. What idiot puts games into the equipment chapter? I was turning the culture chapters upside down and finding nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  02:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back, playing catchup on all I've missed. Hope to get a post up tonight.

Hoon: What exactly does Felgaris know about Tauster? Your posts obviously indicate they have had some prior contact. Feel free to pm me if this is info that shouldn't yet be public.

Also, something I keep forgetting to ask: how do you intend to handle material spell components? Will we be keeping strict track of them in the case of components which are consumed upon casting? Can I assume that I already have the necessary components to cast all the spells Felgaris knows?

Edited by - Cardoc on 24 Aug 2009 03:02:05
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  03:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Cardoc. I'll get back to you a little later (hopefully tonight) with info regarding Tauster.

As for spell components, I'm taking a cue from 3e in that both you and Lorelei have a spell component pouch with everything you need for your spells that costs less than 1 gp. As long as you have that pouch, and can periodically restock it, you'll be able to cast any spells with the required material components. It's only for more expensive components (ex: the gem for chromatic orb) that we'll track and expend individually.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  08:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Ah, I never would have found it. What idiot puts games into the equipment chapter? I was turning the culture chapters upside down and finding nothing.

The equipment part is kind of thrown in there somewhat and can easily be over looked if you aren't carefully looking for it. I finally had to mark the section to find it easily with one of those book tabs.

Anyways, apologize for holding it up some. Busy night I had so I didn't get to the computer until about now. So sorry if I held up the show any. And with the terrible roll I just had on gaming they definately caught me cheating to auto win. Sooo...let's see how they react shall we? Maybe they'll just sit down and have a cup of tea and have a discussion on my poor sportsmanship?

Edited by - Ghost King on 24 Aug 2009 08:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  17:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, somehow I don't think cups of tea will be involved...

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  17:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... before my friend left, he told me he thought I had a spare NWP open on Joran, but I think I have them all nailed down and selected. Hoondatha, could you double check for me, please?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  22:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your NWP's are good, Joran. You've got a total of 6, and you spent one on an extra language, which is why you only have 5 slots in various NWP's.

edit: And GK, yes, you add Reaction Adjustment to your surprise roll. Which means you are darn near unsurprisable. Luckily for you in this case.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 24 Aug 2009 22:41:12
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  22:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you for the information. By the way, if you don't use celestial as a language in 2nd Edition, let me know and I'll replace it accordingly. I know some do, and some don't.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  23:37:34  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok - I haven't done PbP before and I was wondering if we can still go ahead and speak as a free action or if I need to wait for the intiative?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  00:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joran: What extra-planar beings are you aiming for with Celestial? Is it one plane in particular, or are you looking more for the Upper Planes version of Common?

Brynweir: As long as you don't start in on your dissertation, you can speak whenever. I'm not going to be too hard-nosed about that rule.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  00:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going more for the catch-all, though I know that celestials have tongues, so it's all good either way. I've just never read anywhere about the language that many prayers are written in for 2nd Edition. Are they in common, or some other language? That's why I rather liked 3.5 as it gave you the celestial language to draw from. Though again, if you personally don't like it as a language for 2nd Edition, I do have another NWP selected that I can spend that slot on. Either way is fine with me, my friend. I'm just glad to be included in the campaign.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  01:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most prayers wouldn't be in an extra-planar tongue. They'd be in Common, or a regional dialect, or an extinct language (ie: Thorass).

I think I'm going to have it so each major extraplanar race has its own language; I think that's closest to the Planescape intentions. So you wouldn't have Celestial, you'd have Eladrin or Guardinal, or whatever. If you want to switch it for some other NWP, that's fine too.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  01:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, sounds good. I guess I'll switch it for some other proficiency then. I'll look and see what I can find.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 25 Aug 2009 01:26:24
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  19:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

((PC's win initiative. This means if you want to flee, you get a head start. The gold coins have gone flying, however.))

I said my character's action and made the attack roll before hand. Unless Lori and Burt both desert Mal he is going to fight it out. He'll just use his fists as his attacker is doing.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  20:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. We'll be using the punching rules from the PHB, but that'll need to wait until I get home so I can use the table. Please roll 1d100, and edit the result into your post. The drover has an AC of 10, so you hit him.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  23:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr, you don't have Contact. Contact is a telepathic devotion, not a proficiency. The soonest you could get it is second level, when you gain access to a new discipline.

This has, however, exposed a flaw in my Cunning Plan (or rather, my house-rule): what's the point of having telepathic attacks if you don't have telepathy (and, by extension, Contact) to use with them? So I'm changing the house-rule slightly. You still get a psionic attack each time you get a psionic defense, you just can't use them until you gain access to Contact. This obviously doesn't affect any of your other psionic powers.

edit: Heh heh. There's a reason I wasn't unhappy that Joran and Gorme were happy to sit around drinking and talking...

Edited by - Hoondatha on 25 Aug 2009 23:35:14
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  03:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... after seeing the Diplomacy proficiency, how does it differ from Etiquette? That may be an odd question, LOL.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  03:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diplomacy, found in Spells and Magic, is "the grand art of high diplomacy between states or organizations." It focuses on actually negotiating for things like treaties or surrenders. Etiquette, on the other hand, is an encyclopedic knowledge of what is the right and the wrong thing to do in a formal situation. How far to bow to a dignitary. Whether handing over your weapons to the barbarian lord would be seen as a gesture of faith or of weakness. That sort of thing.

I'm not going to allow diplomacy; anything you would actually use it for we would actually role-play out. If needed to speed play, I'll just assume people have it and we can roll accordingly. Etiquette, however, is NOT assumed, and lack of it can result in bad things. For example, as Brynweir is discovering, you should not flirt with, manipulate, and then abandon the emotionally fragile...

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  03:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. I'd never seen Diplomacy before. I'll look over some of the things in the PHB and the Paladin's Handbook and try to get back to you soon on my NWP.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  08:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries Hoon, think I just misremembered the bit when we were talking about Contact. Which is a pain lol.

Guess i'll just have to settle for setting his pants on fire! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  15:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding Round 2, Burt still has an action. Then Round 3 starts. We'll roll initiative in three groups: Drover/Jilted, Malythiir/Lorelei/Burt, and, if they decide to wade into it, Joran/Gorme.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, i've made my action, just to maintain.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  22:04:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. Are you targeting the man himself, or his pants?

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its his clothing, as i'm not wanting to do any permanent damage, just bruise his ego.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  01:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for sort of leaving you behind, Cardoc. I wasn't anticipating things escalating into a bar brawl.

And everyone involved in the brawl gets 50 XP for coming through unscathed and not killing anyone in the process.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000