Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dark Ways and Darker Secrets OOC Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  05:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking forward to it. And it's ok Tyr, I just wanted to have a handle that I could use for mostly RP at the Inn, and also for PbPs.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  08:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the spreadsheet, Hoondatha. May I ask you to switch my hair and eye color around? Joran has black hair and grey eyes. Also, I wasn't certain if you were letting me start off with a holy symbol, so I bought one for 25gp. If you are allowing me to though, I can add 25gp back and buy a tent for myself.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, just in case one of the missing players shows back up... I'm very willing to give up my spot in the PbP should one of you return, and I hope that you don't mind that I stepped in for a while. Just send me a PM if you need anything, or would like your spot back.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  14:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tents are always good things, especially when you're trekking somewhere. Yeah, I think it would be cruel to make a starting paladin or priest buy their holy symbol. After all, mages get their first spellbook for free.

Will do on the hair/eye color. Oops.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  14:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Tents are always good things, especially when you're trekking somewhere. Yeah, I think it would be cruel to make a starting paladin or priest buy their holy symbol. After all, mages get their first spellbook for free.

Will do on the hair/eye color. Oops.

Much appreciated, and I'll add the tent to my gear and a signet ring, then add what's left to my gold total. Thank you, Hoondatha.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 17 Aug 2009 14:38:07
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  17:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have the last of Felgaris' details over to you tonight Hoondatha.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  22:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladies and Gentlemen, the game is officially afoot! We also have a name for the campaign, which is sufficiently over-wrought to fit the trope. It can be found [nowhere, at the moment].

Cardoc: great to hear. I promise I won't throw you into a fight before I get your spellbook.

And, in related news, the final party member (Jocepi) will be joining sooner than I had expected. Whether this is good or bad will be up to you to decide, once you see what kind of character he's decided to play...

This is shaping up to be a lot of fun. To posting!

edit: Or not to posting! There seems to be an issue with my post and the Inn. I'm working to get it resolved, but for the moment it looks like you'll just be able to read my post, but not reply. Which just means you'll have that much longer to come up with the perfect first reply! More news as news develops.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 18 Aug 2009 20:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  01:27:03  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it says "Viewing of this post is not permitted until it has been moderated. Please try again later." Can't even read it
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  01:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh. I have PM's in to a couple of mods, so hopefully we'll get this sorted out soon.

In the meantime, I'll post it below.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarsakh 3, 1353 DR. Scornubel, various parts of the morning

Lorelei:
Another day, another chance for a prank. You can’t believe that old dwarf hemmed and hawed the way he did, didn’t you tell him the flames were just illusions? Too bad you couldn’t add the stench of burning hair as well, the old miner might just have keeled over on the spot!

Another day means another coin, too, unfortunately. You’re starting to run low, again, and run through your list of things to do to make more. It was pretty outlandish last night (the ale didn’t help), and it looks even worse in the morning.

You’ve rented a place for the next several moons, paid in advance, so at least you don’t have to worry about the rain, but it’s small, and bare, and boring, so you grab an apple and some somewhat-stale bread and head out to bask in the sun.

Skipping along, you were just working up to a good scheme when your concentration is shattered by someone calling your name. You spin around, and are pulled into a hug. “Lorelei! It’s so good to see you, and I found you without having to search all over, and shouldn’t you have been awake long before now? I thought you elves didn’t need much sleep!”

Yes, it is, indeed, your friend and fellow novice worker-of-Art, Jelenneth. Just as bright and eager as always. You have a hard time fighting a smile, but before you can ask what brought her here, she answers. “Master Tauster sent me to find you. He says he has another thing he wants you to find and bring him. He didn’t say what, but that it would involve travel, and maybe even danger! He’s been looking around to get you some companions, and says that any friends of yours would be welcome too. And he says he’ll pay you!”

Ah. Tauster. That would explain it. Nice man, decent mage (far better than you), but much too interested in dwarves and their dirty dwellings. Still, it has been a bit boring recently. And gold is always nice.

Malythiir:
Scornubel again. Your heart sinks slightly as the city comes into view, and not just because of your light pack. Hunting is getting scarce, this close to the city, and the furs you have won’t do much more than replace the supplies to left with. To really get something worthwhile, you’d need to venture further from the great press and that… well, you’re not quite ready to think about that.

Still, sleeping on a matress instead of the ground will make a nice change for tonight, at least, until your feet start to itch once more. First to sell what you have, and then maybe a walk about the streets. You promised to take Lorelei out for a mid day meal, and idly wonder whether the Raging Lion has finished rebuilding from the last brawl. As you approach the gates, you can’t help but smile at the memory.

Felgaris:
It’s been an irritable morning. You could swear you heard mice running about in the night, and debated long and hard in a sleepy sort of way the benefits of unleashing deadly magic to cure the problem.

Perhaps fortunately for your rented room, you restrained yourself, sufficing instead at cursing the misfortune that ended you in this somewhat-dingy part of Scornubel. Still, at least you haven’t seen any assassins lately. You don’t think.

You had planned to spend the morning rereading some of the research notes you fled with; your old master kept saying you’d see your mistake if you looked long enough, but you haven’t seen it yet. However, halfway through your fourth reading, a light, rapid knock on the door interrupts you.

Glancing up warily, you frown. That’s not a knock you’ve heard before. Certainly it’s not the landlord’s meaty fist, demanding another month’s rent.

Burt:
Wind rustling through the leaves of a tree slowly brings you out of your meditative state. You like meditating beneath trees, it puts your mind back to Cormanthor, and the lessons you learned. It’s an odd experience, stretching the mind, growing in ways beyond the obvious, and it helps to have some sort of grounding.

You unfold yourself, shaking your legs to remind them how to stand, and set off into the city. Malythiir said he’d be back today. Of course, sometimes he’s apt to get lost in the wild for fun, but then you could say the same about your own mind. At least you’re easier to find, but if you know your friend, he’s likely trying to see whatever pelts he managed to take over the past few rides.

Joran:
The late morning sun shines down on your bare back as you work your way through a series of sword routines in the enclosed courtyard. Around you swirls the familiar noise and activity of young men and women training, a small taste of home in this strange city.

For the past three days since your arrival in Scornubel, the temple of Torm has been your home. It is the duty of those who serve Torm to give shelter to fellows along the path, and the priests performed as well in this duty as in all the others set before them. You’ve had a pallet in the barracks, your horse has been well-tended, and both chapel and training hall have been open to you.

Still, as nice as it has been to stretch your muscles after the long ride, you’re starting to get a little antsy. You have duties of your own back in Cormyr, and you did not set them aside for a time simply to see the stars from the other side of the Storm Horns and perfect Culverson’s Thrust. So it is with a quickening heart you notice one of the temple’s priests heading toward you.

“Lord Nobleheart,” the man greets you, dipping his head slightly. “The temple has received a request for aid. The mage Tauster, who has been a good friend of Torm’s and of ours over the years, is sending a group to explore one of the nearby ruins, in the hopes of finding something to further his research. Knowing of our prowess, he has asked if there is a paladin brave and true, and available, to aid his searchers. Naturally, I thought of you. It would be a journey of about three days, each way, plus however long it takes you to find the runestone, and that far from the city there is a good chance your blade will be needed ere you return. What say you?”

Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  04:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Backstory sent, character sheet updated. If everything meets with your approval Hoondatha then we can consider Felgaris finalized.

On another matter: unfortunate timing on my part this week. Right as we get started, I'll be leaving town for a few days. I have a wedding to attend out-of-country and I'll be gone from Wednesday through Sunday. Hopefully I'll have time to get some early RP posts in before I head out. Sorry for the inconvenience, and don't wait on my account! Hoon can NPC Felgaris' basic actions as necessary until I get back.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  04:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One last thing for you, Cardoc: what's Felgaris's default for a memorized spell? Otherwise, mechanically, I think you're done. I got your background, but I'm too tired to read it tonight. I'll do that tomorrow.

Have a good time at your wedding, and don't worry, I'll shepherd Felgaris along until you return. I was trying to angle him into attending a briefing for some of the group, so this just makes it certain he's there.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  06:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, unfortunate that right when we start we have a hiccup such as this, but I'm sure the moderators will get to the issue or at least try their best to get it up and running shortly.

Very intriguing start! Just wish I could post a response. I'll just have to keep it on hold for a while.

Cardoc: No worries. Have fun at the wedding and we'll see you when you get back.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! I like how you draw the seperate people into the story! I'm excited!!

And I've updated Joran's character sheet in my sig, so his new gear and gold should be reflected there.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 18 Aug 2009 07:25:47
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  14:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the moment, I think we'll have sleep be the spell Felgaris keeps memorized in case of trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  19:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, just had a random idea for the gnome trying to use his meditation/rest thing to copy elven reverie.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  19:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried the link again, Hoon, and now it just takes you to the Candlekeep forum. I also checked in the Inn and it still doesn't show your thread was even posted.

Perhaps you might see if you need to repost it there? Only thing I can think of is that it might not have posted in the first place. At worse you'd have two threads for it, but could easily remove the other if it ever appears. Just a thought on how to fix the situation.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  20:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update on the thread in the Inn:

Well, what I thought would be easy has proven... less than such. The reason you couldn't find the thread, GK, is because I deleted it. Wooly tried to create it, but it turns out he doesn't have mod priviledges in the Inn (which was a surprise to him). So now I have a PM in to Sage, and hope to hear back this evening.

Many apologies for this false start. It's really frustrating to be ready to begin, and then to be blind-sided by something I thought would be a non-issue. I'll try and get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  20:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's ok, Hoondatha. I think you've done a terrific job with what you've done thus far. I can't wait to play in the campaign (providing one of those that are missing doesn't show back up). And again, I love the start that you gave my character!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:38:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it. Joran was actually the easiest to come up with for some reason, after Lorelei. Burt was like pulling teeth. Sorry I didn't give you much to work with, Tyr.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:55:05  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was seriously falling out laughing at the intro you gave Lorelei. Well done. I can see her rubbing her hands as the mental gears turn. I can't wait to begin.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, paladins are pretty easy. "Here's your job, and there are the bad guys! Go! Wait... HEY WAIT! Come here and get your sword! Armor might be nice too!"

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  22:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm still waiting to hear back from either Melfius or Muad'Dib, but the good news is that Jocepi has used the time to finish up his character. This means I'll be introducing him at the same time as everyone else. Do I know how I'm working him in yet? No, of course not. Don't pester me with mere details.

In related news, Jocepi ended up deciding not to play a vindicator, which is the priestly version of Pwent the Battlerager. I'm of two minds about this; it would have been really fun to watch (considering that I'm at a safe distance), on the other hand, it would be nice if this party didn't kill each other off.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  22:59:07  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

..... it would be nice if this party didn't kill each other off.

Darn. You ruined my plans Just kidding of course.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, we're starting! Really and truly this time. With help from Sage [thanks Sage!] the game scroll has been posted in the Adventuring section of the Forums. It will get moved to the Inn soonish, but for the moment you can find it here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12832

Sorry it took a week longer than I had anticipated to get things rolling, but we're moving now.

edit: The scroll's been moved, you can find it in the Inn.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 21 Aug 2009 16:00:20
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to assure everyone that I haven't forgotten Jocepi. For reasons that will hopefully become clear soon, I'm waiting for another PC to do a certain thing before our stalwart dwarf enters the stage.

edit: Oh, and I've changed the title of this thread to reflect the fact that the game is actually moving. Anything Out Of Character goes here, musings, complaints, questions, reactions, anything and everything that isn't a character actually doing stuff.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 22 Aug 2009 15:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a complaint, but you can use my character sheet to add the new gear Joran has there to the spreadsheet, like his tent, signet ring, etc. along with his new gold total. And maybe even his hair and eye color can still change too. I know you've been very busy and totally understand that. It's just a request, my friend, I'm not complaining.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  20:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Maybe I need another nap... Sheet should be updated.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 22 Aug 2009 20:15:37
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  22:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd note on the spread sheet my hair color became my eye color and now the hair color is blank. And the eye color is green. Not a huge deal, but just figured I'd give a heads up on the spreadsheet if there is anything else out of place all of a sudden that wasn't before.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fixed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000