Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The biggest jam you've been in
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  08:48:10  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Whats the biggest jam you've been in while role playing, or DMing in a campaign?
I think we could have some interesting and funny stories, so lets hear then guys.
I had one big story, but when I had a paragraph left, I lost my internet connection, so i'll type it tomorrow.
If you guys don't like and respond to this topic, at least you'll get a laugh out of my story tomorrow.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  12:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting for your story Great Drizzt. I was very curious about it. I hope you'll still post it.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  07:37:19  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, yeah, yeah..... I'm very lazy, I'll type it sooner or later Ditalidas, you can be sure of that, It really is funny.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2002 :  05:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The toughest jam I have ever been in would have to be the time, ok this is what happened some Noble had his daughter kidnapped he suspects it was the people he was trying to make a business deal with the night before. So we went to his house to check it out, the funny thing was that when we inspected her bedroom there was no signs of breaking in or a struggle. So that got us thinking what if she went willingly. So we went to talk to the business company that he was dealing with the night before. No one knows anything obviously. So we watch the Masters of the company and when the lady leaves that was acting suspicious,I follow her cloaked in invisibility. Well she leads me to a house were she kidnapps the guy that lives their and tells some of her goons to keep a watch on him from a safe house. So I go with them obviously and they knock him out with a drug. I am outside the house. There are two doors leading in, one in the back the other in the front, one of the gaurds is in the front by the door the other is in the back with the prisoner. Well, I have to get this guy out of there or something bad is going to happen. So I try to pick the lock of the back door and fail,so I try the front it opens. Now I am faced with a delema, how do I get the guy out short of killing the gaurds. Well, I just happen to always carry on me darts with sleeping poison on them. So I put one of the guys to sleep but he cried out and woke the other guard so I had to hide in shadows with my elven cloak for him not to see me. Well, the gaurd panicked and hit the lamp to make some light. Which started the whole house on fire. He collapsed because I had already shot him with on of my darts. So to make a long story short I could only get the prisoner out and my party was accused of murder.

Now that I have posted mine Drizzt post yours.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  09:17:29  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here goes, I have to post it in sections, or my connection will go dead if I sit and type for too long(don't ask me why)

PART ONE
It all started one day when myself and my party walked into a small town, and my half-elf companion Silvence shouted out that I was a child molester and a Baby killer(I'm a Dark Elf named Krondorl)because he was pissed at me for something I did to him earlier, I pushed him off a brige when he was looking over the edge at a magical long sword he saw done below, so naturally the towns people believed him because I'm Drow and they put me in jail, but they threw him in too because he walked into town with me the day before, and they stripped us naked and put us in the same cell, well needless to say by the time I got in the cell, the gaurds had beat the hell out of me down to 7 HP, and Silvence was still at full, well we started fighting hand to hand, and I won, not a scrath on me(God I'm good) and then I preceded to stomp on his face and he lost 2 points of Chrisma by the time I was done and got my anger out, but he had this "Special Talent" called Iron will(in Combat and Tactics HB) and he got back up and beat the hell out of me and ripped one of my "Nuts" off while I was knocked out.....not funny at all, and he threw it out the bars onto the street, well a cat found it and ran off with it, well by the time we escaped the jail(LONG story) I saw the cat on my way to the temple to get healed, well I chased it a long ways and finally ened in a tavern, I caught the cat, and preceded to beat the crap out of it...BIG MISTAKE, apparently cats were sacred around here, then everyone in the tavern came after me, well I escaped finally after getting the crap kicked out of me some more, then went to the cleric and had a Opal the size of my "Nut" sewn into myself to replace it, all better....I think not!
I found my party on the outskirts of town and met this strange wizard that said he need our help to get some treasure out of this maze, we agreed for a share of it.

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  09:34:57  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PART TWO
We arived at this maze in a different plane and got REALLY lost, we must have been in there for about a week or so, and on night while we were sleeping, we were attacked by our team mate that was a mage, apparently somewhere along the trip he was bitten by a Wererat and he turned without any of us knowing, he already had all his defensive spells up before any of us had woken up, so we stayed on the other side of the wall of fire(a spell) and he just pommeled us with fireballs, lighning bolts, and magic missles.....we all escaped him a time later and found some rope and laid it down throughout the maze so we wouldnt get lost, we were making some progress when all of a sudden there came a jerk from the other end of the rope, we got all freaked out and followed it back to what was pulling it.
It was a "Retarded/Insane" Centaur, he said he had been in there for countless years and whatnot, and he told us he found this rope...well we told him that it was our rope and we were using it to get out and he screwed it all up, then for some reason he started banging his head on the wall! Well I left all pissed off and tried to find my own way out....BIG MISTAKE! I ran into a Lesser Tan'ari' and he said he wanted my magical +4 Defender sword or he would kill me, but I wouldnt give it up, then he tried to make a deal with me.....I agreed, the deal was he would get us out of the maze by teleporting my whole party out if I gave him the sword, I agreed(Stupid me)
We reappeared in an alleyway in a town he had no idea of, well I took one step and stepped right into a Ooze, we he absorbed right into my foot and started working its way up into my leg, we ran to a cleric and he used a spell to stop it, it involved him shoving a brick into my foot to absorb the ooze...OUCH! well then I had a "Brick foot", he then cut off my "Brick foot".....OUCH, and grafted a monkeys foot to the bottom of my leg.....not cool.....

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  09:47:43  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PART THREE
Well after all that crap, we found an Inn, and spent a few days in there recouperating from everything, and one night our thief in the group(Mavv Redhands by name) came back informing us of a wherehouse that had a bunch of goods in it. We investigated it, and we found a magical "Stand up" mirrior, Inside was a "Damsel of Distress", or so we all thought, they all went inside the mirror/portal and I stayed out because I thought I knew better....I went in sometime later on when I got bored of waiting by myself, BIGGEST MISTAKE SO FAR!!!!!!!
It turned out it was a trap, and the "Damsel" in distress was actually a Vampire lord, and she had abunch of other vampires in there with her.....Well when all was said and done and we escapped, I had 8 levels drained, lost 2 points to my Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity, and all my gold and a whole buch of other good stuff.

Well by the end of this "little adventure" I had:
One "nut"
A monkeys hand for my foot
Lost my +4 Defender sword to the Tan'ari'(for basically nothing)
Got no treasure out of the maze
One really big headache after another
Lost everything I owened to the Vampires, including 8 of my levels, and all of the points to my stats permanently(I got the levels back later......but thats another story!
Hope you all Enjoyed this little story, 'cause I did'nt!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  21:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing this 'mishap'.

Perhaps this will help to regain some of your ... ehm .. losses :

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2002 :  05:48:53  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah I hope so, thanks.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  20:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players were once in a room in an old tower with slabs of stone along the walls with golden runes on the top. Touching a rune would summon a genie which would then give the person touching the rune a riddle to be answered. If the player failed to answer correctly a guardian would then summon and attack that person. After answering a few riddles corretly (which would summon the treasure in the slab of stone) and defeating a Behir, they became quite cocky and it turned into a contest of touching the most runes. Unfortunately the riddles were very difficult and they soon found themselves battling a Black Dragon and a Death Knight. They were of course incenerated. Later on I had them resurrected by the the guardian of the entire tower, a unique neutral demon, and because of the magic of the tower they were now bound to do what it bid them do, which was a lot more fun than simply ending the campaign.

Later on when they had rid themselves of their dept they went and got themselves Geased by a Dracolich in the cellars of the tower but that is a different story...

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  17:21:32  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allow me to some up the positions of the characters at one stage in a game of Call of Culthulu (A 1920s horror RPG) in which I was a character. We are trying to 'cleanse' a house of satanic scum:

Jack (A Mechanic): Lying in a small bedroom unconcious in a pool of blood with an enchanted bed trying to kill him.

Ben (A Mad Professor): Cowering in a basement corner trying to avoid an enchanted knife.

Myself (A New York Fat-Cat business man): Currently in a police car under arrest for suspicion of murder.

Fred (A Surgeon): Lying in the middle of a fire close to death with his throat cut and a collapsed lung.

Matt (An Off-Duty Policeman): Currently having his face clawed out by a Zombie.

Alex (A Spanish Missionary): Running aroud waving a pair of flaming trousers.

We managed to get out of it with only two dead but are employer gave us a right bollocking for petrol bombing the house....

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  08:42:23  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.......uuhhhhhhh....I'm confused now.....
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Shades
Acolyte

Georgia
39 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  21:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Shades's Homepage Send Shades a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget what it's called. It was an old quest you could buy in stores it was called labrynth of madness or something. If I could remember the name alot of you would just nod your heads. Needless to say it was the hardest quest my old dungeon master ever put us through. Needless to say being the thief in the party was not a pleasent experience. Every trap was a trap within a trap within a trap within a trap within a trap.
Go to Top of Page

Kie Dor Solmyr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2002 :  05:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Kie Dor Solmyr's Homepage Send Kie Dor Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well because i was half elf i wasnt allowed out the elven woods because they didnt want anybody to find out a half elf was living there.....well anyway..i sneaked out one day and i had my bow with me,so anyway i was lurking about the woods and i got lost,i was very hungry at the time and i seen a pack of wolfs so i killed 2 of them, so i could eat...but as i had the fire lit and cooking the wolfs..the kings men from the castle near the elven woods came out to see who i was,but what i didnt no is they came out because,i had ended up on the kings hunting part of the woods and killed his prey (the wolfs) but when they found out i was an half elf they dragged me back to the elven woods...and the elven leader of the elven woods was a druid, so i got into trouble both ways and then the next day the heads had a meeting.....and they banished me for being half elf and for causeing trouble....

"Cursed As An EveryLasting Human..."
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  17:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an old post coming back...
The biggest jam I've ever been in(and managed to survive) could be summed up simply as:
The Caverns of Tsojcanth.
Gawd that was awful.

Three dead PC's, my poor surviving fighter badly wounded with no healing left in the party, and hundreds of miles of trudging to get back to civilization and the curch of Cuthbert. Making a rough travois, I managed 12 miles a day until I met up with some natives who sold me 4 mules for a pair of magical crossbows and my bracers of brachiation. I hate when people take advantage of a strong bargaining position...especially when they are taking advantage of me.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  19:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are currently running through Heart of Nightfang Spire, I'm playing a human RGR/PAL and my friend is playing a Woodling elf druid. There's only the two of us, and last night he drank some golden water that came out of the dragon fountain and now he is in a state of suspended animation. The problem is, I can't get him out of it, I can't even figure out how I'd climb back down the spire toting his body. So now, it's just me and the alpha male from some weird Girallon tribe probably about to face this ancient Vampire we've been hearing about during the whole adventure. To make matters worse, when we end this adventure, it's my turn to DM again, and my friend wants to play this character, so I have to figure out a way to save him.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  14:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

We are currently running through Heart of Nightfang Spire, I'm playing a human RGR/PAL and my friend is playing a Woodling elf druid. There's only the two of us, and last night he drank some golden water that came out of the dragon fountain and now he is in a state of suspended animation. The problem is, I can't get him out of it, I can't even figure out how I'd climb back down the spire toting his body. So now, it's just me and the alpha male from some weird Girallon tribe probably about to face this ancient Vampire we've been hearing about during the whole adventure. To make matters worse, when we end this adventure, it's my turn to DM again, and my friend wants to play this character, so I have to figure out a way to save him.

Heart of Nightfang Spire? Ouch. I've read many times on ENWorld that it's a killer module.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  02:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My halfling rogue once fell into a large jar of strawberry and drowned. Ba-doom-tish!

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  03:17:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WAAAAAY back in the days of 1e . . .

Our party had been wandering in the desert for days, battered and bruised and poisoned by giant scorpions and an efreet. We managed to find a giagantic stone tower that had a huge square hole at the top of it.

We went inside, figuring that up=safe, down=trouble. About halfway up the stairs we still didn't find any rooms, just platforms. Then a blue dragon swooped down on us. We managed to kill it, but all that was left of the party was my ranger and the party wizard, and we were both in very dire straights.

When we reached the top of the tower (becuase we had to at that point, just to see what was there) a huge, ancient blue dragon flew in and landed right in front of us, mocking our general state of disrepair.

I forget exactly how the conversation went, but the wizard managed to convince the dragon that his spellbook was some ancient artifact (the old, "don't take my most valuable possesion" bit). The dragon, in a fit of superiority, opened the book and was hit with the sepia snake sigil that the book had in it.

Paralysed dragon+really tall tower=ranger pushing dragon off ledge.

I'm fairly certain that the same combination of dragon and spell would not work currently, but at the time it was a one in a million shot (the dragon rolled a 1 on its save, and I think it only needed a 4). We rested, teleported the bodies home, found a cleric, raised our friends, and returned to disarm the traps that led down . . . into the dragons underground treasure hoard.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  18:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Heart of Nightfang Spire? Ouch. I've read many times on ENWorld that it's a killer module.

It's been fun, we're going through it with 2 pc's rather than 4, so it's been pretty tough. Luckily, since I'm a paladin and the other pc is a druid, we both have high AC's, and I've got good saves, that's helped out alot. It's a really cool adventure, the intelligent talking Girallon that knows all the details about the history of the spire is a little far fetched, but other than that it's cool.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  20:10:46  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the biggest jam I've ever been in is the one I'm in right now. The situation is this: Our party of level 8 characrters (my paladin, his 5th level cohort, his monk/wizard companion (looking to take Arcane Fist PrC from Complete Arcane), and a ranger/bloodhound who just recently joined the group) are faced with two gauths and a beholder. My cohort has been turned to stone, the monk is down at -1 hp, the bloodhound is paralyzed and I'm the only one able to move around (and I'm also relatively uninjured.) I can't carry away even one of my companions and we're essentially screwed. We do have another party member in the wings, but the chance of him finding out where we are and rushing to our rescue is slim. I'm thinking a strategic retreat may be in order, but I'm not sure it can be accomplished.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  06:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two stories:
The first is in a current campaigne where there are 7 of us, a ranger, a barbarian, a fighter, a monk, a sorcerer, a bard, and me as a cleric of Shaundakul. In the beginning of the campaigne we found a small village in the north and went about hanging around a bit to long and found a secret chamber under the butchers shop that had somthing like a wheel of misfortune in it many of the party spun the wheel and various bad things happened to them, the ranger got the worst and died, we needed to find a way to bring him back so we decided to marry off the sorcerer to the village leaders daughter, that worked so now we have a base of operations. Then we start hearing about a red dragon giving the surrounding areas trouble so of course we get to look into it. So we look around and all we find is this albino elf who is all like hey i know of somthing that can help you defeat this red dragon, so the party is all like yeah ok lets do that. So we recover this crazy artifact from this underground cave complex and the guy wants us to bring it to him, we think well ok lets see whats going on. By this time I am the only one who hasn't met this albino, because I was away for that adventure. We walk in and the first thing i think is ok this guy is a white dragon and he is going to want to take this artifact from us great. Well he gives us a propistion all the while telling us how powerful his is and the barbarian says "If your so powerful why don't you take it from us." Big mistake the guys says ok fine and turns into a white dragon. First round goes by and everyone is fear auraed or dropped from the dragons ice breath except me. I am thinking ok well i could just leave via a ring of teleport I got in an earlier adventure or I can die. Then I remember that I have a necklace of prayer beads from another earlier adventure, so I pluck one of the summoning beads off, its always helpful to beable to summon ones deity. So Shaundakul teleports in and cast time stop, getting ready to blast the dragon, then some other guy shows up and says hey we are playing a game here and you can't interfear. So my god says that he will send my party and myself back in time 10 years to when this "game" started and that we would have a month to put our selves in a better situation. The problem is we get sent some where "north" of the spine of the world into norse mythology so my party and myself have been running around for a month messing with the norse pantheon and setting off all the events that lead to Ragnarok, by accident of corse. We are in the final days of the month and ragnarok and I have no idea as to how we are going to either fix this or giving that was survive that how we are going to beat that dragon waiting for us, who knows about us and is planing things to make himself stronger also.

Second story:
This happened in an old 2ed game I got to play in with some friends. I was an elf bladesinger and I can't remember what everyone else was. Anyway we went to find out what was going on in a region of some kingdom for some queen. Come to find out there is this huge hive of manscorpians, so we are like yeah we can do that. Find out there are like a million of them and we get the hell beat out of us until we stumble upon a treasure room. Now is the time that I would like to causion everyone on the down sides to "testing" out magic items. I picked up the coolest looking sword and bam cursed lucky for us it was enchanted against the manscorpians and i hacked and slashed my way around the place the down side was that I had to keep attacking them until there weren't anymore. The other party members figured hey thats a great distration so that all run off to do there thing and leave me to cut my way to the top of the order of comand. I finally make my way to the throne room and am sitting there hacking at the king with this sword but it isn't hurting him at all. finally my friends show up and open a portal somewhere but i can't get away from fighting this thing. One of my friends was playing a halforc tossed me an axe and said you know what to do. So I finally cut my hand off. So now I was like this totally maimed useless bladesinger. It sucked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000