Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 WoTC/FR PDF's being pulled from Paizo.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read on a newsticker on N24 (German news channel) that Hasbro suffered a 50% reduction of sales in Q1... dunno if that has something to do with the entire affair

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  18:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Just read on a newsticker on N24 (German news channel) that Hasbro suffered a 50% reduction of sales in Q1... dunno if that has something to do with the entire affair

...WHOA.

Is it bad I feel giddy about this?

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  19:54:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much like RB, I feel myself imitating Keanu Reeves.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I am not sure if this had anything to do with Hasbro as a whole or just Hasbro in Germany, one would think that they would still keep the old edition PDFs (i.e. anything they are no longer printing) up for the revenue (no matter how small) that it brought in. Of course, as stated (a few times I think) that would require the use of common sense and logic, which seems to be in small supply at Hasbro/WotC.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 20 Apr 2009 20:30:00
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  23:12:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adjusting for where the dollar was at in Q1 of 2008, Hasbro would only have been down 6% on its sales. Couple this with the fact that Q1 of 2008 was abnormally profitable for Hasbro, and I think we need to wait to see if a trend develops before we ascribe any motives to the company or make any prediction.

I'm not trying to be an apologist, I'm just saying that some numbers, in a vacuum, can lead to conclusions that wouldn't be reached if everything is put in perspective.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  23:14:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is for all of Hasbro, per this article.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 20 Apr 2009 23:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  00:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

While I am not sure if this had anything to do with Hasbro as a whole or just Hasbro in Germany, one would think that they would still keep the old edition PDFs (i.e. anything they are no longer printing) up for the revenue (no matter how small) that it brought in. Of course, as stated (a few times I think) that would require the use of common sense and logic, which seems to be in small supply at Hasbro/WotC.

The revenue earned etc doesn't concern Germany... the company HQ is in the US

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  04:45:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes... How to combat the current market slump and bad economy:

D&D Minis

You're able to finally choose the minis you want!

Well, if you want one of the three in the pack. And want to pay $10 for 3 plastic miniatures. I mean, where else could you get painted minis? (cough Reaper minis 2 metal minis for $10 cough)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  06:40:28  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am reading this right WotC doesn’t sell the PDF’s because they are losing money to piracy. If WotC isn’t selling the PDF’s elsewhere, than they are making even less money. I wager the latest material is not selling for two reasons:

#1 They were foolish putting out 4th edition on the relative heals of 3rd. There were like 3 different books on Dragons in 3rd. The idea of even starting down that road again turned me off. As for the Realms, I had considered WotC was intentionally sabotaging their own product, to push Eberon (or whatever that new setting is). I have no idea what deals they have as far as copyright with Ed vs the creators of other worlds. I know that self sabatoge probably comes off as crazy thought, but it seems more plausible to the senses than some WotC executive, sitting on his office rug, wielding a Magic 8 ball to make these decisions.

#2 The economy being what it is, I would expect that WotC product is probably a luxary item in many people’s budgets. When a google search can yield all the PDF’s for free…

*Drums fingers on desk*

I give WotC 6 month’s tops before they go under. I don’t wish it on them mind you, but they haven’t gotten anything right in years. They have been acting like a desperate company for some time. This is simply the latest. In regards to the pdf debacle, first WotC ends their relationship with Pazio, months later this “no more pdf” thing. If there was a long range plan then the end of Pazio publishing Dragon/Dungeon would have incorporated “ and no more pdf’s” at that time. It wouldn’t have followed months later, and not with so little notice.

6 months, and only if they roll 20’s every month till then.

The only thing I can imagine where this is good move, is if they come out with some enormous CD set of all the Realms stuff on disk from Ed’s first articles in Dragon till 4th Edition appeared. As has been mentioned, it seems new comers play quite a bit of catchup with such a rich history. Even old timers may sucumb to "I just gotta have it". That’s way beyond Magic 8 Ball though. That kind of planning would require a ouija board.

Me thinks I have a better chance of sitting at Ed’s gaming table, than seeing that happen.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 21 Apr 2009 06:43:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  07:13:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

D&D Minis

It's about time!

I still don't care about the minis, though. And I'm still not giving WotC a dime for anything D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  08:16:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

I give WotC 6 month’s tops before they go under. I don’t wish it on them mind you, but they haven’t gotten anything right in years. They have been acting like a desperate company for some time. This is simply the latest. In regards to the pdf debacle, first WotC ends their relationship with Pazio, months later this “no more pdf” thing. If there was a long range plan then the end of Pazio publishing Dragon/Dungeon would have incorporated “ and no more pdf’s” at that time. It wouldn’t have followed months later, and not with so little notice.

6 months, and only if they roll 20’s every month till then.

I think the odds for this is rather slim. The decisions made recently might hurt them some and they may make changes, but I doubt that the company will go under in the nearest future.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  09:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, worst comes to worst and they'll ditch d&d and just put out card games, its unlikely they'll go under. Its more likely the d&d name that's in difficulty.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  09:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

D&D Minis

It's about time!

I still don't care about the minis, though. And I'm still not giving WotC a dime for anything D&D.

Especially since the quality of the paintwork has also drastically diminished lately. Everything seems painted in primary colours nowadays.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  13:57:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I posted the news over at WotC (thread) to discuss the possibility of Hasbro selling the D&D license and am actually surprised to see that most of the 4E fan posters would be reluctant to buy D&D if Paizo or White Wolf or another company bought the license. Brand loyalty for ya...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  14:12:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow. I posted the news over at WotC (thread) to discuss the possibility of Hasbro selling the D&D license and am actually surprised to see that most of the 4E fan posters would be reluctant to buy D&D if Paizo or White Wolf or another company bought the license. Brand loyalty for ya...

Ironic, considering that the company that originally put out D&D is no longer around.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  14:27:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ironic, considering that the company that originally put out D&D is no longer around.

My thoughts exactly, O wooly one!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  16:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, just read through that thread. I hope denial isn't a requirement for joining the 4e fanbase...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  16:24:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

My thoughts exactly, O wooly one!

I've once or twice encountered people that stopped buying new D&D stuff when Gygax left the company.

It doesn't matter to me if D&D is sold to Paizo or White Wolf, so long as whoever is putting out D&D is putting out something I want. I've given money to White Wolf, and I've given money to Paizo. The company doesn't matter -- the product does. If it's not something I want, it doesn't matter who sells it.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  22:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

I suppose that's one word for it. So 4E fans thinks Paizo and/or White Wolf would be worse guardians of D&D than Hasbro?

That's a frightening thought indeed

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  23:59:23  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the brand is ever sold off, I really hope Paizo gets it. They can actually make more solid products with their Pathfinder stuff, bring back the slain sacred cows, release awesome quality books and adventures. They'll be able to use beholders and other creatures owned by WotC only. It'd be so great.

Also, probably conspiracy theory, but it makes total sense. Because of a possible failure of 4E, WotC pulling PDF sales from ALL editions seems like a grab for more sales for 4E. Someone stated that the tons of people playing 1E, 2E, and 3E are screwed and WotC is hoping they give in to 4E eventually. Particularly the 1E and 2E are all out of print and hard to come by. EXCEPT through PDF purchasing. Everyone has access. No need to look on eBay for an actual copy to come around and buy it at twice or thrice the price.

But with ALL edition PDFs pulled, that leaves the 1E and 2E (and eventually 3E) players completely screwed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  05:15:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

If the brand is ever sold off, I really hope Paizo gets it. They can actually make more solid products with their Pathfinder stuff, bring back the slain sacred cows, release awesome quality books and adventures. They'll be able to use beholders and other creatures owned by WotC only. It'd be so great.

Also, probably conspiracy theory, but it makes total sense. Because of a possible failure of 4E, WotC pulling PDF sales from ALL editions seems like a grab for more sales for 4E. Someone stated that the tons of people playing 1E, 2E, and 3E are screwed and WotC is hoping they give in to 4E eventually. Particularly the 1E and 2E are all out of print and hard to come by. EXCEPT through PDF purchasing. Everyone has access. No need to look on eBay for an actual copy to come around and buy it at twice or thrice the price.

But with ALL edition PDFs pulled, that leaves the 1E and 2E (and eventually 3E) players completely screwed.

Actually, with just a few exceptions, everything I've gotten from eBay has been for less than the cover price.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  05:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Actually, with just a few exceptions, everything I've gotten from eBay has been for less than the cover price.

Yeah same here. Most books are usually dirt cheap for 1st/2nd editions for D&D. I don't think I ever paid above the $15 buck mark yet on an item if even that high.
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  05:52:44  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read that thread and felt sorry for Ashe there, I got the impression he fell into in a pit of piranhas in that thread. I agree with wooly on that as well, as long as the company brings out good products that impresses me im in.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  06:01:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I've been thinking about this post that Chris Perkins posted on ENworld about a week ago. His idea was for Wizards to take the old material and set it up as a print on demand option. It really, to me, sounded like a good idea because it would allow the old material to be reprinted for those who want a physical book.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  08:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

I read that thread and felt sorry for Ashe there, I got the impression he fell into in a pit of piranhas in that thread. I agree with wooly on that as well, as long as the company brings out good products that impresses me im in.

I took a glance at it as well, and I pretty much expected the responses though I think a couple posters went just a tad over the top. Attacking other companies was rather a brash act and rather childish, which makes me think he was a teen and his argument was rather weak if he was intending to debate the fact.

It's one thing to have a differing opinion and a preferance to a particular system/game/company. It is another to slander a different game/system/company just because you aren't informed about any of the history and the fact a person disagrees with you.

I don't think in my ten years of playing table top games and fifteen years of playing boardgames/video games I have outright just hated some company for buying up a game and taking their own spin on things. I don't expect every system to be a super system, in fact, until I play it I assume it will be broken and full of loopholes, or overly complicated.

If anyone has played Rifts you'd know how big of a headache it is to keep track of info, saves, varying ACs, varying damage types, varying magic and supernatural powers, completely out of balance creatures that some are almost unkillable except to one other creature in the universe/multiverse, etc.

Anyways, that is way off topic. But yeah you hit it on the head but I would say that it was a snake pit...full of huge dire cobra's with incredibly acidic venom!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  10:01:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ya know, I've been thinking about this post that Chris Perkins posted on ENworld about a week ago. His idea was for Wizards to take the old material and set it up as a print on demand option. It really, to me, sounded like a good idea because it would allow the old material to be reprinted for those who want a physical book.

That sounds good to me, but I would be a bit worried about the prices. Especially with sending and the whole thing.

But f they started doing a reprint, and the price was reasonable, WotC would get me as a big customer for the first time. And if they only knew that, I bet they would hire ten extra guys and runs hysterically around, just hoping to make me happy.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You better not be messin' with us with this Kuje

If they ever do that, I will be so exceited that I will smash my laptop to pieces as I will no longer need it for anything

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  13:15:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

You better not be messin' with us with this Kuje

If they ever do that, I will be so exceited that I will smash my laptop to pieces as I will no longer need it for anything

If they follow this suggestion I would dig up my old Snoopy costume and do the “Supper Time Dance”

As for my thoughts on the 4e fans being loyal to WotC if they sold D&D to Pazio , I don’t think it is brand loyalty, I think it is more of “Why would I buy the core books all over again?”. When WotC bought TSR back in the 1997 (?) we ended up with an announcement for third edition (Released in 2000). All this occurred after many of us purchased the revised 2nd edition rules. We were very close to not purchasing any of the 3rd edition books at all. But I am glad we did...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  13:39:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks, fellow scribes!

Yes, I do feel that it's a definite snake pit at the WotC boards. Every day I feel closer and closer to closing and sealing my account.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  14:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a sad day indeed when you get attacked by a My Little Pony :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000