Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon 374 Table of Contents
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  21:15:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I guess I missed the last few issues because I seemed to have skipped two or three issues but here is the TOC for the recent issue.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/374

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, were is the FR article?

Oh, and ... Player's Handbook 3?

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  23:50:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about all of that rubs me the wrong way.

'Builds'? I HATE that term applied to D&D...

So familiars weren't in the rules at first, either, eh?

'Deva' is a class? So stuck-up female Bards have their own now, huh?

Archwizards, archliches, archfey... it sounds like Ronald McDonald would feel right at home...

Like I keep saying... I'll play 4e when they finish the rules. As long as they keep producing Player's handbooks, the rules are obviously incomplete.

Still no Monks. eh?

Maybe we'll see a 'Rules Compendium' like we did at the end of 3e. If it's coming out before 5e, I figure I can wait another year before getting on board.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Apr 2009 23:52:10
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:02:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

The business plan that was announced from the very beginning of 4th Edition has been a new Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual, every year.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  01:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Funny, I think I actually do hate it a little, as in hate, not inhumane cant for 'dislike'. It pulls in the opposite direction to imagination, has nothing to do with roleplaying games, and sums up so much of the dead-ending of recent D&D.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  02:17:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Those are "supposed" to be monthly starting in May. Don't hold your breath, you may fall over [:

While I like 4e and dig the DDI stuff for it, I want realms material. I think it will happen and will be consistent, but really, it has only just gotten started full swing.

As far as PH 3, I belive it has been stated for some time now.

Edited by - scererar on 05 Apr 2009 02:19:31
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  02:22:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I guess I missed the last few issues because I seemed to have skipped two or three issues but here is the TOC for the recent issue.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/374

I am interested in the familiars article and dual class playtest for PH3.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  04:27:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's sad that I look at the table of contents, and I don't have even the slightest interest in it... I bought every print issue of Dragon from 163 on, and a whole lot of ones before that... And yet, now I'd not download most of these articles even if they were free.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  06:52:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly's thoughts mirror my own. I was fortunate enough to pick up the printed DRAGON from around the early 100's. And it was a practice I maintained right up to the last printed issue -- #359.

I downloaded some of the early and freely available articles for the online DRAGON back when it was still in its infancy. And that's because I found some of them interesting. But even that interest has mostly evaporated now, as I look over this latest ToC.

What a slow and sad slide...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  15:53:21  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tough I'm usually a 4e hater, just by the titles it's not that uninteresting

an arcanist academy, it's not typical 4e hack and slash, familiars are ok, seems more fantastic than in 3e, deva is the only new race worth seeing, Prince of Frost if done properly could work with Auril/Queen of Air and Darkness
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  23:53:34  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

Thank you! Absolute agreement there. Is it really so hard to come up with some different terms, at the [i][very/i] least?

Are builds in 4E really that much of a different concept than having to meet certain prereqs for the various PRC's in 3E? To me they are just the mechanical workings of my character concepts. No different than when thinking of the character path for any previous editions. In fact, in my opinion, these actually help me "mechanically build" on a character concept.

Edited by - scererar on 05 Apr 2009 23:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  01:59:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking from my own personal experience, I never once chose a prestige class based on 'kewl powers', but rather on the story of my character. This led, at times, to being 'the weakest link', but I always preferred the story to the mechanics.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  03:17:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Speaking from my own personal experience, I never once chose a prestige class based on 'kewl powers', but rather on the story of my character. This led, at times, to being 'the weakest link', but I always preferred the story to the mechanics.

Yup, same here. As most of us do, I think of what and how I want the character to develop, in addition to the back story. with 3E and now 4E, I think it is easier (IMO) to find a "build" close to the character concept and work from there. It is a cool "kewl" way of placing the mechanics you are looking for, based on initial concept. I never dug the min/max thing. Many times I have had the "weak" character in the group, but they were some of my favorite and most productive over the past 20 years of gaming.

I had a buddy once who always played Dwarven fighters and always had to max out everything. He usually ended up getting slaughtered fairly quickly and had to start over with a new Dwarf There was never much planning beyond "tank" and that was before the term was used in RPG's.

But I think I am straying us off course of the thread. I am looking forward to the 4E dual class play test as well as familiars getting back into the mix. I feel these will add more mechanics to assist with supporting my character concepts.

Edited by - scererar on 06 Apr 2009 03:24:16
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  05:38:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Builds' is a MORPG term... thats why it doesn't belong anywhere NEAR D&D. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....

Anyhow, when I played Diablo II a few years back my son was all into 'builds', and would look-up all the 'accepted' power-builds on line, which included which gear to get for each build (and he even spent REAL money on armor via the Internet!!!).

I dueled him with my completely off-the-wall, non-standard PC and wooped his butt. He then took my character "out for a spin" and wooped everyone else's butt with it - people didn't even know how to fight him!

You know why? Because they were all used to dueling each other and new all the builds!!!

later I did the same thing on WOW, where builds are BIG there (it's a 'must' for everyone, else they called your character 'broken'). Once again, I went my own way and built a character that no-one could wup the first time or two (until you noticed my non-comformist tricks). I had the only Warlock anyone ever saw that didn't use Fear, and melee'd everyone instead (and won!) By that time, my son had learned a thing or two from his pappy (), and built a Shamen that easily took-out other people ten levels higher then himself.

'Builds' are for people who lack imagination, and need someone else to tell them EXACTLY how to put their character together. It's 'RP' for Idiots. Sometimes you get a really rare item, and when you optimize your skills around it, you can break any build (which I did in Diablo and my son did in WoW). It's all about using what you got, not following a schematic like everyone else is. A little creativity goes a long way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2009 19:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I've been playing 4E for almost a year now. I've got all the books, a DDI subscription, the whole nine yards. I've also been playing rpgs on and off since 1982. And this system is my favorite among the dozens I've played, by far. It supports roleplaying and storytelling as well as anything I've ever seen, and does it far better than most.

Just my opinion of course--I'd venture it's as well informed a one as any others you'll see in these parts. If familiarity with the system under discussion counts as well informed, anyway.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  02:46:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

'Builds' are for people who lack imagination, and need someone else to tell them EXACTLY how to put their character together. It's 'RP' for Idiots.

Probably unrelated, but funny thing - I just finished reading an article about debates and read that when folks start calling names or putting folks down, you won the debate or they just don't have anything more articulate to provide.. Just sayin, it was a good article.

I think the word "build" is where folks are sticking to. Really, when you pick the race "elf" and the class "fighter" you are "building" a character. So unless you write a story to decribe your character, without any mechanics, we are all "building".

Edited by - scererar on 07 Apr 2009 02:48:51
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  03:16:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, anybody have a chance to check out the hybrid class playtest article published today? I briefly checked it out. From first look, it appears more convoluted than the 2E concept. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  03:33:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

'Builds' are for people who lack imagination, and need someone else to tell them EXACTLY how to put their character together. It's 'RP' for Idiots.

Probably unrelated, but funny thing - I just finished reading an article about debates and read that when folks start calling names or putting folks down, you won the debate or they just don't have anything more articulate to provide.. Just sayin, it was a good article.

I think the word "build" is where folks are sticking to. Really, when you pick the race "elf" and the class "fighter" you are "building" a character. So unless you write a story to decribe your character, without any mechanics, we are all "building".

Yeah, but that's not how the word is being used.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  13:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I'd venture it's as well informed a one as any others you'll see in these parts.

We'll take your word for it...
quote:
If familiarity with the system under discussion counts as well informed, anyway.

We'll also take your word for that...

You have stated quite clearly that you have a vested interest in 4€ by the amount of product and time you have thusfar consumed. I have stated quite clearly that I have a vested interest in anything but 4€ due to refusing to buy anything with that logo on it. Apart from the fact that we are therefore both biased, and therefore our opinions—how well informed or not—don’t count, very few people have really had an issue with the mechanics of the new edition.

Now, was there something you wished to praise WotC for with regards to Dragon 374 in particular? I’m sure we’d all love to hear it. Regurgitated 4€ love/hate generalities at this late stage don’t count...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene
Regurgitated 4€ love/hate generalities at this late stage don’t count...

Dankie, brah! But that would cut down the post count 'round here considerably, wouldn't it? Take a gander through this very thread, for example.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene...very few people have really had an issue with the mechanics of the new edition...

Dr. Rupert, please pick up a courtesy phone. We have an emergency call for Dr. Wooly Rupert.

Anyway, Dragon #374 in particular? I can only comment on what's been posted, but so far, I've found some stuff that's useful, some stuff that's exciting, and some stuff that isn't for me.

The "Players Handbook 3" article is what it is. This April Fool's stuff is strictly a YMMV thing, and mine usually varies pretty low, but as it happens I dig the Penny Arcade guys a bunch, so I like this one.

The article that'll probably be least useful to me is the Character Concepts piece on how to recreate the feel of two popular 3.0/3.5 prestige classes using 4E rules. I never played third edition, so I don't know whether it's successful or not--a guy at the LFR game I played in last night seemed to love the arcane archer--but this isn't really my kind of thing. I usually do character story first and then find the mechanics that support it later and this is sort of a reverse approach. (I did like the Arcane Archer best on my Playstation 2 Baldur's Gate game! "My pack's too heavy!")

Now, the other big article posted so far, the Hybrid Characters playtest, while still kind of complicated and obviously early in the design stage (if they make the cut the hybrids won't appear between covers for a full year), is very interesting to me. Between multi-class feats, racial feats, "multi-class only classes," and of course all those paragon paths, there's already tons of ways to make every character unique, but this strikes me as more like the classic AD&D appendix style dual-class character. As somebody who's probably as big a fan of Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont's Malazan world as I am of the Realms, I've lately been interested in finding a good way to do an "ex-priest," and I think this might be a good route to explore for that.

Chris Youngs' editorial is fine, and does address a "problem" I'm having right now (everybody wants to play with the shiny new PHB2). In the group I DM for, we'd actually decided last summer that we were going to treat our current campaign as a learning experience and would at some point take the decision of whether or not to reset once we were comfortable with the system. So we've just done that, and folks are rolling up an interesting range of characters drawing on both Players Handbooks, articles from Dragon, and Martial Power.

And if that doesn't satisfy 'em, I've set things up so we should be able to do the "Multi-Group Free-for-all" option he describes pretty easily. I think it would be fun to have two groups based in the same place, one high and one low level, who are connected somehow. (None of this addresses my main personal problem of not enough playing time--the game I played in has to end because the DM has a new job. Hopefully my shiny new RPGA card and my first ever LFR character, Ovid Candlemas, shadar-kai wizard, will help out on that front).

Now, by far the bit I like best that's gone live so far is Bill Slavicsek's Ampersand column, with it's preview of how Domains are going to work in Divine Power. I'm super-excited by this material, mainly because I think it's going to be hella fun to see how this works in the Realms, either through WotC designed stuff in the form of Faiths of Faerūn articles, which I speculated about already, or by designing the stuff I need myself. (I don't see what's the what now with the little opening with James Wyatt, unless maybe the supposed "clue" to the 2010 campaign setting that people have been talking about is buried in there somewhere.)

Regarding the stuff that hasn't been released yet, it all looks pretty interesting to me. I'm curious about what races might get introduced in the PHB3 and hope they go with a similar mix of old faves and bold new world as they did this time. One of my players is "building" (ha!) a deva shaman, so that ecology article should be handy, and who doesn't like familiars? Animal companions for all!

Now, as for this...

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I'd venture it's as well informed a one as any others you'll see in these parts.

We'll take your word for it...
quote:
If familiarity with the system under discussion counts as well informed, anyway.

We'll also take your word for that...

Hee. Wouldn't want to put you out, so, here ya go--they say a picture's worth a thousand words, right? Or in this case, probably closer to a million--not to mention US$ 350 or so!

In your requoting there, you left out my grandiose claims about the length and breadth of my experience in these and related matters. Check this out! That's a first printing, first edition, continually in my possession for over twenty years now! Also, as an added bonus, actual certifications of my love of genre in the form of Hugo and Nebula nominee plaques.

And since I had my camera out anyway, here's a picture of my dogs Puck (standing) and Emma (grumbling) (named for Shakespeare and Austen characters! BritLit geek cred!) and a shot of one of the great loves of my life, my Lemond Tourmalet (gear fetishism geek cred!).

I'll post about the new articles as they come out.

Love and peace,

Christopher

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 07 Apr 2009 18:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  18:13:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, let's get on the topic, and stay on the topic, please.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  20:15:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Chris_Rowe in as far as that without rules for every little thing, GOOD RP is still possible. Anyone who ran games back in OD&D or early 1e knows that (this game sarted out as a combat-simulation). Old-school DMs should have no problem fudging past all those 'holes' that supposedly now exist.

I don't think the rules themselves detract from RPing - you can do that without rules (and Gary Gygax has said as much). So I can see his point, and he is probably playing with a group of experienced D&D players, so his games are running more smoothly now with the stream-lined rules.

The point that some of the rest of us are trying to make is that the rules don't encourage RP... and using a term like 'builds' merely confirms that. Instead of having a group based around classes, the groups are now assembled based on their roles during an encounter (Controller, Striker, etc...)

Being an avid GAMER, and not just an RPGer, I've played tactical simulations, miniatures, and even humungous old-school 'counter' games (from SPI and AH), and I can tell you that the terminology and the 'thrust' of the game has been 'boiled down' to combat resolutions. Since anyone can do anything (cast spells, heal, etc...), the 'RP' element has actually been crippled, and the only difference between one character and another is HOW you deal damage (AOE, DPS, etc...)

What this does is put the RPing solely back into the hands of the real people playing the game... and I'm afraid a LOT of the new gamers are just buying packs of miniatures and running their characters through 'warband encounters' to earn EP and 'Phat Lewtz'.

Can you RP in 4e? Certainly... that has absolutely NOTHING to do with whatever rules-system you are using. However, some systems cater more to the individuality-mindset, and don't merely assign 'roles' to PCs, as if they were two-dimensional cut-outs. Hell... I've even RP'ed using Risk, Clue, and Monopoly (I always play the slumlord ), but that doesn't mean the rules are designed to do so easily.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but that's not how the word is being used.

Thank You.

I didn't mean to be insulting AT ALL, and if anyone took that the wrong way, then I apologize.

I always encourage THINKING at my table, not "looking up the solution". Some of the game's most memorable moments wouldn't even exist if everyone followed a set pattern of behaviour.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2009 20:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  20:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rest of Mark's post seems perfectly reasonable, but just as a point of information, my group of six consisted of myself, who hadn't played D&D since 2E in the early nineties, my buddy Bob--similar story, except he hadn't played for even longer, a couple who has played and continues to play everything under the sun for decades, two folks who had never played any type of RPG before, and our young 'un, who had played some third edition but was mainly familiar with online games and writes about them.

So, a mix of experienced, rusty, inexperienced, and "other-experienced."

From what I've been able to tell, the terms "builds" and "roles" don't have any more (or less) deeper meaning than the terms "ability scores" and "classes."

Edit to say that I was only using past-tense 'cause the group's changing since Bob (the other "rusty" guy besides me) has a new job. And also that by "our young 'un" I mean the youngest player, not our child. We don't have kids.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 07 Apr 2009 20:48:51
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:31:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question that came up from one of your recent posts, Christopher.

Now, you know that I'm not trying to troll or flame-bait you or whatever-the-hell-its-called-this-week, so take this in honest interest and for healthy debate:

You say you've never played 3rd Edition, and that 4th Edition is the best rules you've ever played. Have you tried 3rd Edition (or Pathfinder - gotta keep promoting!)? Do you think you'd change your stance if you did?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not flaming or whatever at all--and an imminently reasonable question!

Nope, never did play in those systems. The learning curve seemed/seems pretty danged high at this point, though I'd be happy to sit in on a game.

Now, I do have a passing familiarity with some of the rules, but only because of the "crunch" bits in all the Realms books from that era I've picked up (Shining South and Faiths & Pantheons happen to be on my desk right this second, actually). I've been trying to gradually get all of those products--hang on, I keep a list on my desktop. Okay, I HAVE:

1 Into the Dragon's Lair Nov-00
3 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Jun-01
4 Magic of Faerūn Aug-01
5 Lords of Darkness Nov-01
6 Faiths and Pantheons May-02
7 Silver Marches Jul-02
9 Races of Faerūn Mar-03
10 Unapproachable East May-03
11 Underdark Oct-03
12 Player's Guide to Faerūn Mar-04
13 Serpent Kingdoms Jul-04
14 Shining South Oct-04
15 Lost Empires of Faerūn Feb-05
17 City of Splendors: Waterdeep Jun-05
22 Dragons of Faerūn Aug-06

And I NEED:

2 Monsters of Faerūn Feb-01
8 City of the Spider Queen Sep-02
16 Champions of Ruin May-05
18 Sons of Gruumsh Sep-05
19 Champions of Valor Nov-05
20 Power of Faerūn Mar-06
21 Mysteries of the Moonsea Jun-06
23 The Twilight Tomb Sep-06
24 Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave Mar-07
25 Expedition to Undermountain Jun-07
26 Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land Jul-07
27 Anauroch: The Empire of Shade Nov-07

So. Whatever I read in the books on that first list is more or less what I know about 3E. Prestige Classes! Oh, and I've got a couple of other non-Realms 3E books around here that I needed for work, mainly to get the most recent vibe on critters and spells and so on that haven't been statted out for 4E yet.

What I've seen makes me think it's a little top-heavy for my tastes, but I don't have any direct experience with it, no. Where do you live? Maybe I can drop in on your game!

As for the meat of your question, if it turned (or turns, I suppose) out that I like it better, sure, I'd say so. But I doubt it would change my mind about whether or not 4E is a good game, because there can be more than one good game in the world. And to be honest, I doubt I'd switch over, because I'm a Realms guy first and an gamer second, and the Realms game that's happening from a creator point of view is 4E.

Y'know, I should make something clear about the timing of certain things. I didn't become a fan of 4E in general and the 15th century Realms in particular because I wanted to write for WotC. I approached WotC about writing gigs because I was so excited about 4E and the 15th century Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Here's a question that came up from one of your recent posts, Christopher.

Now, you know that I'm not trying to troll or flame-bait you or whatever-the-hell-its-called-this-week, so take this in honest interest and for healthy debate:

You say you've never played 3rd Edition, and that 4th Edition is the best rules you've ever played. Have you tried 3rd Edition (or Pathfinder - gotta keep promoting!)? Do you think you'd change your stance if you did?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the term "build" even used in 4E products? I honestly don't know--I'll check later when I'm figuring out how a guy can make "Godplate." (Once I figure out what "Godplate" is )

Update: yep, "build" is used. Doesn't register on my radar at all beyond being the name for a concept, but I lack some of y'all's familiarity with whatever it is about online culture that make the word bug you.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 07 Apr 2009 23:18:51
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  00:25:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, you've all been asked to return to the specific topic of this particular scroll.

Please do so, or I'm afraid I'll have to seal this one up.

Thank you.

[Note:- If you all have an interest in continuing this current bout of off-topicness, please use the 'Private Messaging' function instead.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher, I really appreciate what you listed liking or being excited about, in the Dragon issue under discussion. As your lack of knowledge about 3/3.5E mechanics clearly show, not all of us are going to agree with you, nor take all of your claims at face value.

Now, I would be excited, as much as you are about everything 4E, if Dragon 374 had but one article about pre-Spellplague Neverwinter, Port Llast or Luskan—with or without some 3.5E crunch, a new prestige class or simply some feats, or a new arcane or divine spell or two tied to the article. Why, I'll even settle for something post-Spellplague if it told me what happened to Lord Nasher, Ophalla, Amundra, Judge Oleff, or any of the myriad and interesting NPCs 'living' in that once-great city—now sadly simply an unexplained ruin after some hundred odd years.

As it stands, I find nothing of interest in it.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  23:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article that went live today, "White Lotus Academy" by Peter Schaefer, has some fun stuff, and I like the "fluff/crunch ratio." The author is clearly influenced by the various wizard academies of recent and more classic fantasy fiction--it's easy to see Rowling and Rothfuss here, and of course, Jane Yolen is always present in this kind of thing, even if only as a sort of tertiary influence via other authors.

The map and detailed background of the school and its instructors, and of its culture and, I guess, "ways and means," take up more than half the space, with the balance given over to offering PHB2 style backgrounds for PCs, a grab bag of Heroic and Paragon tier feats, and some maybe too cool first level attack powers for PC graduates from each of the arcane classes. A Paragon path rounds out the crunchy stuff.

I liked how the piece is laid out, with nice art and a good map. The sidebar featuring a "Roll of Academy Heads" and "A Few Bursar Entries" felt Realmsian to me, actually. It wouldn't take too much work to drop this arcane school in to any number of places in the Realms (if I use it I'm gonna put it in in Harrowdale, with Velarsburg taking the place of the town described in the article). It might also be useful for DMs designing their own arcane schools or who have a player who wants their character to be a graduate of one--just a few proper noun switches to the feats, for example, could be used to seed a school for swordmages in Evereska.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  05:01:52  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, an excellent article that can easily be dropped into my realms.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  14:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today's two articles are a little more pro forma than Friday's big magic school piece.

Chris Tulach's RPGA report isn't "behind the wall" I don't think, so non-subscribers can probably see that it mostly collects information that we've seen before into a catch-all announcements for his monthly column. New Realms modules are briefly described, set on the Moray and the Eastern Glimmerwood (both having to do with Black Blood cults, looks like), Delzimmer, Thay, and Waterdeep (continuing the necromancer series).

The familiars article kind of points out the oddity of reading these pieces before the actual issue compilation, because it's an expansion on material in Arcane Power, and like most folks, I don't have the book yet! It's not out until next week (the day after I need it for my RPGA character, grumble, grumble). But you can kind of figure out what familiars are going to be like based on what's here--they provide both continuous (active) benefits in the form of small skill bonuses and so on and also have specific combat related roles as well. And they're also apparently not actual animals, but something closer to a shaman's spirit companion that takes the form of an animal (or any number of other things, including some objects). Is that from 3E? I like the sidebars about quirks and personalities, and the list of suggested minis will be handy for people with large WotC pre-painted plastics collections.

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000