Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I tried I really did
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  17:10:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SO I attempted to run 4th edition realms, so that I could at least give it an assessment (after reading it, I wanted to throw it in the ocean... but I still tried to see if I could make it work.

My realms has a very tolkeinesque and medieval feel (minus the disadvantages like bad teeth). Three sessions.

We just could not do it.

Waterdeep? The world power becomes a ship graveyard? Please.

homogenized gods, homogenized flavour. If I wanted the Harry Potter type fantasy I would have run Eberron (nothing wrong with it in context).

With that said I WAS sad. However, I am no longer sad, because I received new inspiration. We decided to go back to shadowdale and play that out. WHen we are done with Anauroch, I will then write the adventure where the PC's Aid Mystra in stopping her demise.

Now the 4th ed realm supplements are not total bunk for me. I am using exarchs.

In my campaign a Ranger killed Malar. That ranger is now going to be an exarch, but I have not decided whether or not to bring back Malar.

Talos who was just a face of Gruumsh will have his storm portfolio taken over by THOR whom Tyr has brought over from his other aspect's home.

THere are little nuggets you can glean, though the campaign guide is generally bunk.

This is not a well thought out thread so I apologize, but I recently just reached the decision to continue realms completely independent of support which has renewed my enthusiasm.

4th edition did not destroy the realms. Thankfully 4th edition is so easy to ignore.

It is slightly liberating. Seeing 4th edition books and feeling NO DESIRE to even open it up anymore.

I will take the formalized system of skill challenges out of fourth, and never give the rules system another glance. I have plenty of wargames I can play, I do not need a board game disguised as D&D.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  17:35:56  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I applaud you for using the guide books like a salad bar (to use Egg-Shen's analogy).

Take what you want and leave the rest. :)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  21:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I refused to buy the 4e Realms books based on everything I'd heard and read leading up to their release and was glad I did. A friend bought them and allowed me to review them thoroughly for a couple days, and I was able to talk him into burning them by telling him what I thought.

They didn't provide much warmth in the long run, though.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 18 Jan 2009 21:49:57
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  22:11:38  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have considered buying the GHotR just because of all of the consolidated lore, but I don't really want to give WotC money for butchering the realms, so I probably won't.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  22:33:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I have considered buying the GHotR just because of all of the consolidated lore, but I don't really want to give WotC money for butchering the realms, so I probably won't.

Except for the last couple of pages, it's all lore from before 4E -- and in some cases, there is new lore presented. I hate the Shattered Realms as much as anyone, but I cannot recommend the Grand History highly enough.

In fact, I feel partially responsible for its publication. I was one of the first people -- possibly even the first person -- to find the original pdf and start linking to it on the WotC forums. And it was after word of it spread there that WotC noticed it and thought it would be worth having.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  22:50:27  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GHotR is worth getting. But I agree with many of your points in the OP.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  23:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In fact, I feel partially responsible for its publication. I was one of the first people -- possibly even the first person -- to find the original pdf and start linking to it on the WotC forums.

Well, I thank you for that, because one of the players in my game saw the link on the WotC forums and I downloaded it... so I don't have to contribute to the corporate evil that is WotC. Maybe more has been added to the official publication, but I settle for it as it was.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  00:07:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Most of the timeline entries refer specifically to the pre-4e Realms. There's really only about a page worth of entries for the events that occur up to and just after the Spellplague itself.

Aside from the timelines, are the particularly well-crafted vignettes on particular historical aspects of the Realms. Not to mention the lineage charts for most of the monarchies in FR, and a collection of historically-relevant maps too.

'Tis indeed well worth the purchase.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  00:10:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fact, I feel partially responsible for its publication. I was one of the first people -- possibly even the first person -- to find the original pdf and start linking to it on the WotC forums. And it was after word of it spread there that WotC noticed it and thought it would be worth having.
You and me both. I posted that link so often, I had it as a short-cut link on my desktop. I even recall semi-frequently posting the original link for the Grand History PDF stored on Brian's website both here and at WotC. And, also, on a number of other frequently-travelled RPG and wargaming sites that I sometimes visited. That link, especially, got brought up a lot on the CBT boards, where a great many FR fans reside.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jan 2009 00:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  06:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

GHotR is worth getting.

I ... uh ... second that. The GHotR is a must have for everyone interested in Forgotten Realms Lore, and its only the last few entries which foreshadow the advent of the 4e realms.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  06:24:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, GHotR is easily one of my most-used references for the Realms. And getting the PDF version is nice as well since you can do a Search on the pdf.

I've chosen to ignore everything from 1376 on in the books, since I do SOOOOOO like the idea of Eilistraee killing Vhaerun and absorbing his portfolio and NOT being killed by Lolth, thereby giving drow a true choice.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  11:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely get GHotR. It's usefulness fantastically outweighs the snarky feelings you'll get over the last few entries.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  13:47:15  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your review, Mournblade. Kudos to you for trying the system out.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  02:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade
THere are little nuggets you can glean, though the campaign guide is generally bunk.

"It's generally bunk" is pretty much my opinion on the 4E Realms, yes.

quote:
It is slightly liberating.

I think it is liberating. The new 4E novels are coming out, and I will read only a few of them, not each one as it comes out. I don't feel like I have to relearn the setting or keep up with everything that gets done to it. I can keep my Realms however I want, and that is liberating.

I agree with the others, GHotR is definitely worth the purchase. As always, keep what you like and disregard what you don't.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Jan 2009 02:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  07:00:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Great another lets bash 4e thread. These are getting so old.

-Thank you for at least trying the 4E Realms. Sorry it didn't work for you. Play what makes you and your game group happy.

-AGHotR is a must have, in my opinion.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  16:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Great another lets bash 4e thread.

Wrong. It's about the 4E Realms setting, and there's no mandate to quietly refrain from criticism about it.

Obviously, you aren't tired enough of these threads to refrain from commenting in them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Jan 2009 16:13:31
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  16:28:32  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Thank you for at least trying the 4E Realms. Sorry it didn't work for you. Play what makes you and your game group happy.

-AGHotR is a must have, in my opinion.

BRIMSTONE

I can understand why one does not want any criticism to 4th edition, but WOTC made an unneeded change to D&D and then completely rebooted the Forgotten realms into a shade of its former self, just to fit the new paradigm.

Unfortunately people do not always fall in line, and will criticise that with which they do not agree, even if it is against the majority.

4th edition is a new shiny. It is a new game.

It might work for Dark Sun or Eberron, but the new realms supplement is proof it could not work for the Realms.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  18:01:13  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesn't look like $E bashing to me. Mournblade was telling us he or she didn't like it after giving it a try. Maybe he or she approached it with some bias but he or she still give it a go.

That said, it's been a fair number of months since I last visited and it does seem that the scribes of Candlekeep are still mourning the death of a much-loved friend.

Actually, it's more the madness of a friend, isn't it? It's as if a close friend has decided to cross-dress very badly, giggles girlishly in weird bars and sports several tattoos - all of which are spelt wrong and one of which is a Chinese character, which they assure us means 'dragon' but actually means 'prostitute.'

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 20 Jan 2009 18:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  20:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

That said, it's been a fair number of months since I last visited and it does seem that the scribes of Candlekeep are still mourning the death of a much-loved friend.

Actually, it's more the madness of a friend, isn't it? It's as if a close friend has decided to cross-dress very badly, giggles girlishly in weird bars and sports several tattoos - all of which are spelt wrong and one of which is a Chinese character, which they assure us means 'dragon' but actually means 'prostitute.'
That is quite the amusing word picture. And, for me at least, it is mourning. That very mourning is why I have not touched the 4e RPG system or any of the 4e Realms novels. Not because they are bad, but because the are a brutal reminder of what has happened to what I considered very close friend. To continue your word picture, that friend is now completely different because of a mental disorder, and WotC is the team of doctors that did the testing that caused the disorder. So my hostility is actually directed at WotC, not the 4e Realms. The 4e Realms is just my irrevocably changed friend who I cannot relate to anymore and instead end up reliving fond memories of in my head.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  20:36:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It doesn't look like $E bashing to me. Mournblade was telling us he or she didn't like it after giving it a try. Maybe he or she approached it with some bias but he or she still give it a go.

Hmmmm... I could not of illustrated this better:)

Absolutely true.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  23:03:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have we met in a bar somewhere?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  13:59:12  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GHotR is one of the best books published for the Forgotten Realms.

It is the equivalent of one of those road side crosses, showing where a cherished love one died due to a drunk driver.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  23:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

GHotR is one of the best books published for the Forgotten Realms.

It is the equivalent of one of those road side crosses, showing where a cherished love one died due to a drunk driver.

Most poinant comparison I've read.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  17:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My view of 4th ed W'deep is a little skewed from yours. What are you referencing?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:06:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:

My view of 4th ed W'deep is a little skewed from yours. What are you referencing?

in reading the blackstaff tower I did not get this impression at all. Now when I move onto mistshore, I expect to read more on this ward of waterdeep, but still would not characterize waterdeep as a Ship graveyard.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  07:28:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

quote:

in reading the blackstaff tower I did not get this impression at all. Now when I move onto mistshore, I expect to read more on this ward of waterdeep, but still would not characterize waterdeep as a Ship graveyard.

It may not be a ship graveyard, but it does seem illogical that a city of trade, built around and because of its harbor, would allow its harbor to fall to such a state.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  07:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

quote:

It may not be a ship graveyard, but it does seem illogical that a city of trade, built around and because of its harbor, would allow its harbor to fall to such a state.

*whispers* "Da plague, dude, it wuz all da plague..."

From the novel I was actually under the impression that Mistshore was only a certain part of Waterdeep´s harbour, a ways removed and cut off from the rest. But I´m not at all sure.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  07:49:38  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmmmm... I could not of illustrated this better:)

Absolutely true.

Ditto.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  14:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

From the novel I was actually under the impression that Mistshore was only a certain part of Waterdeep´s harbour, a ways removed and cut off from the rest. But I´m not at all sure.

Even so, I don't see a trading center that depends on its harbor willingly allowing its harbor to effectively become smaller. I'm also curious as to why the merfolk that once lived there appear to have left.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Waterdeep entry of the FRCG. No it does not say ship graveyard but... ummm... THE naval power 100 years ago needs ANOTHER navy to protect it?

It allows these sunken ships in its harbour? Its economy RELIED on the harbour. Lets NOT consider economy while designing the needlessly altered waterdeep.

THe concept works great as a new world's city.. not for an established world.

The designers I think lost credibility with FRCG.

I have stopped reading FR novels, and I would not include them in criticism of 4e realms. 4th edition realms is LAUGHABLE.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  16:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree--at least, it would definitely leave the impression of negligence on the part of the city leaders.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Jan 2009 16:38:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000