Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My Interview with Bruce Cordell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:42:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
-I figure, I'll repost this here, since there are some people who are active here, but not at WotC:

LK: A number of people, on various Forgotten Realms related message boards, have commented that some of your novels (thus far, specifically Darkvision, Stardeep, and Plague of Spells) contain elements that are “unRealmsian”, or are fairly foreign in relation to the rest of the setting. The preview of Plague of Spells says specifically, “Lovecraftian Horror in Faerūn!”. Can you discuss what it’s like to write in a shared world setting, like the Forgotten Realms are? The challenges, the benefits, and other relevant details, specifically about keeping a distinct writing style and personality, while staying true to the canon, and what the Forgotten Realms represent?

BC: I'm not sure who wrote the "Lovecraftian" catalog copy in regard to Plague of Spells, but OK, I'll take it as a complement :-)

As far as writing novels for the Forgotten Realms, I love it. The Realms is a setting designed to allow a thousand stories to simultaneously be told. This offers every author lucky enough to work in this shared world the opportunity to craft a story uniquely hers or his. There is room for nearly any kind of tale in the Realms, and don't let anyone tell you different merely because a particular style of story hasn't been told before. The Realms has room for horror, mystery, and other styles of writing that break from established tropes. The generous sales figures of books like Darkvision and Stardeep bear this out.

LK: In numerous print and video/audio interviews, various designers of the Forgotten Realms stated that they felt that the 4e system of magic was incompatible with Mystra and the Weave, and that the latter needed to be outright eliminated before the new system of magic could be implemented in the setting. Why was it ultimately decided that Mystra and the Weave needed to be removed to allow the 4e system of magic to be feasible in the Forgotten Realms, in lieu of some other possible explanation to explain things?

BC: No, I don't think Mystra's Weave would have been incompatible with 4th Edition rules for magic. That's not why Mystra died. I imagine we could have come up with a story that allowed Mystra to remain despite the radical reworking of game rules. However, it just turned out that Mystra's murder allowed a perfect opportunity to explain, on the game side, the new rules of magic. No, Mystra died to provide room for a raft new stories in novels and games. Her leash on magic has concluded.

LK: For as long as I, and others, know, the planet that the Forgotten Realms were set on “Abeir-Toril”, which meant ‘Cradle of Life’ in a long forgotten Faerūnian language, and that the ‘Abeir’ part was tacked on to ‘Toril’ to make the planet the first entry in the Cyclopedia of the Realms, without any real meaning. With the debut of the FRCG, this, of course, all changed. Who was the original architect of this idea, and how did ‘Abeir’ evolve from nothing in particular to what the FRCG and other recent sources describe it as?

BC: This is a rather meta question, but I'm going to answer it in-world ;-). In the context of the world, Abeir is as we've described it in the new 4th Edition Realms. Perhaps some Faerūnean sages, not knowing the origin of the term Abeir, came up with their own reason to justify the appearance of the word Abeir in certain ancient lists. Or, as Ed might suggest, perhaps they knew full well the origin of the term, but lied.

LK: Many sourcebooks, in the past, were criticized for revealing integral plot information relevant to ongoing novels. For example, Power of Faerūn revealed that Ilsevele Miritar become the Coronal of Myth Drannor before the final novel of The Last Mythal trilogy was published. The new FRCG avoids this, by not making mentions of specific people, places, and things (the most notable being Mask, who’s story is being told in Paul Kemp’s Twilight War trilogy). It is now being criticized by many for being too “information lite”, concerning specific places, deities, people, and so on, who will have their stories told in either future novels, or DDI/online DRAGON articles. What are your thoughts on this matter, and what do you think is the better idea: including more information, but spoiling future products, or giving less information, as not to spoil future products?

BC: Actually, the structure of the FRCG was written specifically to be the best possible game aid. That is the reason for its format--to give the DM a great springboard to launch his or her campaign. Since ret-conning is, by and large, kept to a bare minimum, those whose chief Realms joy is deep lore have available to them reams of earlier edition FR manuals. That said, that's right, we'd prefer to avoid spoilers when possible. And even when we couldn't avoid providing endings to novels in process, we were able to at least only touch lightly on the topic, enough so that said novels will remain exciting repositories of information to folks who buy both novels and game products. However, most folks who buy FR novels don't buy game product or regularly read FR fan forums, so for the majority, no spoilers exist.

LK: Mechanically, in D&D, many things have changed from 3rd Edition to 4th Edition. Being a D&D setting, things in the Forgotten Realms have also changed, to preserve lore-to-rule continuity. For example, Sun Elves, Moon Elves and Star Elves are now mechanically represented in D&D with ‘Eladrin’ stats. Some feel that, because of this, elements unique to the Forgotten Realms, such as Elven subraces, will be minimalized, and eventually done away with and forgotten all together. Continuing on the example from earlier, Sun Elves, Moon Elves, and Star Elves will outright become ‘Eladrin’ in future Forgotten Realms novels/sourcebooks/articles. As an author, designer, and fan of the setting, you have a very unique viewpoint. What do you think about this phenomenon?

BC: We have preserved the terms sun, moon, and star. Yes, eladrin is now also an über term connecting these elf types, but when it's important to call out cultural distinctions among FR eladrin by using these terms, these terms remain.

LK: Whether for good or for ill, there is no doubt that the Forgotten Realms have been changed in a major way. Can you share with us what it was like at the design table, with all of the authors, designers, and other contributors who had a hand in creating the “new” Forgotten Realms? What were some of the discussions like? Was there a lot of shouting and controversy? Did one or two people take the lead, and everyone else just follow passively? Can you share with us any ideas that were rejected, or did not make it into the final cut of the books?

BC: I wish I could give you some tales of drama and passion, but none comes to mind. Yes, certainly many ideas were rejected, too. The concept of 'find the realm forgotten' and a 'destructive spell virus/fire' emerged very early on. The specifics of what these actually were went through many iterations. For instance, it was posited that Abeir might be populated by vicious intelligent creatures that looked something like a cross between a dragonfly and a wasp that controlled a large empire by special psychic poisons. Interesting, but ultimately not the way Ed went when he wrote Returned Abeir for the FRCG.

LK: And, finally, the most important question: Who wins the World Series next year? Who has your support?

BC: I will reveal that information on Thursday, October 30th. Stay tuned!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 11 Dec 2008 18:15:14

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:09:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things jump out at me - he completely skirted the issue of 'Abeir', by trying too give us a couple of IG explanations for it... which is NOT what the question was about... AT ALL.

I guess they are avoiding naming names, for fear of much rock-throwing.

And then there's this....

quote:
Originally stated by Bruce Cordell

Since ret-conning is, by and large, kept to a bare minimum, those whose chief Realms joy is deep lore have available to them reams of earlier edition FR manuals.

Yup... in the same way I can take a book about a certain town dating back to the Civil war, and use it to find my way around today.

Yeahhhhh... rightttttt....

On the lighter side, I'm glad he took the time to answers these questions, and I do appreciate that.

Lovecraftian Horror in the Realms, indeed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:14:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yes, as I commented, I was a little disappointed in some of the answers- mainly three and five. He didn't so much answer as he did talk.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:16:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Markustay that he did avoid actually answering the question about Abeir, but I don't blame him, since it could potentially cost him his job or just plain out open up a big can of worms. Good on him to take the time to answer everything though.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:39:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks to BC for taking the time to answer the questions and a big thank you to Dagnirion for asking them and then sharing those answers with us.

I have to agree with the others. There was much skirting of certain issues. Also, Mystra's "leash on magic"? What, she was withholding spells? Wow, guess Cyric's priests were stage illusionists.

On a final note, I know Ed wrote a history of Returned Abeir here at the 'Keep, but did he write the idea of Returned Abeir for the Campaign Guide?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:30:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

On a final note, I know Ed wrote a history of Returned Abeir here at the 'Keep, but did he write the idea of Returned Abeir for the Campaign Guide?

-That's my biggest...Well, whatever the best word is, that's it. Grievance, maybe. I did specifically ask "Who was the original architect of this idea", because I wanted (and others) to know. The answer didn't particularly address what the question asked, which is too bad.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the same vein as what I wrote on the WotC boards...

quote:
No, Mystra died to provide room for a raft new stories in novels and games.

(I take it he meant to say "raft of new stories?")

Taken at face value, this answer presumes Mystra needed to die in order to "create new stories", which I think is quite fallacious.

quote:
For instance, it was posited that Abeir might be populated by vicious intelligent creatures that looked something like a cross between a dragonfly and a wasp that controlled a large empire by special psychic poisons. Interesting, but ultimately not the way Ed went when he wrote Returned Abeir for the FRCG.

And thank GOD Ed went the way he did, because in doing so he created something that I'd actually be inclined to use in some way, shape, or form.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Dec 2008 23:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Not sure if I'm understanding you...do you mean did Ed detail RA for the Campaign Guide? Yes, he did. Was the concept of Returned Abeir Ed's idea? As far as I know, it wasn't.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Dec 2008 23:21:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  00:04:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, reading between the lines in what Ed's said to me and how he's said it, when we players had our characters ask (in-game) about "Returned Abeir," it was NOT Ed's idea to have a new continent.
Obviously, detailing that new continent was part (or all; I think Brian James took over the "condensing Waterdeep from Ed's huge new Waterdeep bible for the Eddie Presents novel line" bit) of Ed's freelance assignment for the 4e FRCG. I would think things like the Primordials would be in-house elements, and the map and detailed realms would be Ed's (probably, knowing how these things work as an editor myself, Ed would have to incorporate in-house "make sure you have an X, and some Y" requirements; if I were a betting woman, I'd say the dragon empires are some of those requirements, to satisfy the back story of the new version of the dragonborn).
Please bear in mind this post is MY speculation and interpretation, not anything said or confirmed by Ed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  00:32:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still want to see that Waterdeep bible...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  05:43:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right Wooly!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  09:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me echo the thanks to Bruce for giving this interview ... and to the OP for providing it here.

A few things that sprang to mind immediately when reading it ... swallowing most of the cynicism along the way ...

There has not been any leash of Mystra on magic as far as I am concerned, though I would expect that some gamers (young male adults maybe?) did not like being "supposedly" noselead by a female overgoddess. It has been explained in sourcebooks and novel galore, that Mystra had to allow any sort of spellcasting bar ... well, coming to think of it, ghastly Mystra actually stopped the would-be-über-spellhurlers from casting 10th level spells! Beast! Curse her! Burn her!

Essentially, reading between the lines I find my very own - and I would assume most reasonable - explanation of her demise reaffirmed. Much like during the Time of Troubles, Mystra's disappearance caused a massive and as we see now apocalyptic end to the Realms as we know them. They essentially nuked all the "unwanted stuff" out of the Realms and keeping the things deemed worthy or interesting as well as introducing the new bits and pieces. That this new stuff is to some extend in deep contrast to the Old Realms is swept under the 100-years carpet is something I really dislike, but I have long since decided not to play there and/or under 4E for some time to come. And while I am actually liked the mentioned novels, this rising of the Lords of Madness (who might have designed this book, hm?) is not something I would have introduced into the Realms either. Then again, I would not have introduced quite a number of things ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  10:04:27  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I still want to see that Waterdeep bible...

Our father Ahghairon who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Waterdeep bible??? Me wanna see that too!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:27:41  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto!

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:38:13  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan
There has not been any leash of Mystra on magic as far as I am concerned, though I would expect that some gamers (young male adults maybe?) did not like being "supposedly" noselead by a female overgoddess.

I thought most young male adults looked FORWARD to that
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:
There has not been any leash of Mystra on magic as far as I am concerned, though I would expect that some gamers (young male adults maybe?) did not like being "supposedly" noselead by a female overgoddess.

If she had the looks and dogma of Loviatar or Sune or Sharess maybe!

BTW, I think one Waterdeep boxed set plus half a dozen more AD&D publications as well as City of Splendours was enough content on that city? Can't we agree on another "important" city here? Calimport or the like?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:18:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:

If she had the looks and dogma of Loviatar or Sune or Sharess maybe!

BTW, I think one Waterdeep boxed set plus half a dozen more AD&D publications as well as City of Splendours was enough content on that city? Can't we agree on another "important" city here? Calimport or the like?

Nope.

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep made that city come alive for me, and that's when I went from being a fan of the setting to loving the setting. While I'd love to see more info on Silverymoon and Suzail, it's Waterdhavian lore that I can't get enough of.

My love of the City of Splendors is why I have a tendency to drop most of my NPCs and Hooks in Waterdeep. Some of my own PCs have become Waterdhavian NPCs.

If I thought he'd share it, I'd email Ed directly to ask for a copy of the Waterdeep bible.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Dec 2008 14:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  16:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, every single one of my campaigns have had the players make their way or start off in Waterdeep. There's just so much to do there, without even counting Undermountain.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:12:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As far as I can tell, reading between the lines in what Ed's said to me and how he's said it, when we players had our characters ask (in-game) about "Returned Abeir," it was NOT Ed's idea to have a new continent.

-I think that much is fairly obvious. Like I said in the lead-up to the question, "Abeir" has never been anything in the past, until now. If Ed (or any other designer in the past) had more plans for it, I think we would have been given some kind of hint somewhere.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000