Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kelemvor and the Cult of the Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:45:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes

Here's a quote from "Cult of the Dragon"* page 29

quote:
While the Cult is formally allied with no organized religion, worship of the following powers is most common among those Cult members who profess such beliefs: Talos, Talona, Xvim, Velsharoon, Shar, and Kelemvor A smaller number of Cult members revere Cyric, Malar, Gargauth, and Tiamat, and a handful of Cult members also pay lip service to the draconic pantheon of gods (including Null), Garagos, or Siamorphe..

Can somebody explain why is Kelemvor worshiped in a cult that raises evil dragon to undeath (among other stuff)? I don't get it, I always figured that he would be one of their major enemies.

While I'm at it, why is Tiamat worshipped when she IS among their enemies (page 61)? It doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks alot

*which can be downloaded for free here btw http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  23:34:34  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is because of the WEED.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  00:25:17  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're witnessing the effect of a bad edit on a reference to Myrkul.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  01:12:28  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

I think we're witnessing the effect of a bad edit on a reference to Myrkul.

Nah that's not it, here's the next sentence.

quote:
Cyric's worship was much more prominent while he was also Lord of the Dead.

That could have been it though, nice try.

Edited by - Kilvan on 11 Dec 2008 01:13:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:15:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, though, it was a bad edit. As I recall, that ended up being one of the books that Realms designers were "called in at the last minute" to rescue. A lot of those inconsistencies are a result of far deeper explanatory stuff being edited out, or supporting explanations for the statements never getting written, so you read them in the finished product, go, "Huh?" and search in vain for supporting or explanatory lore.
Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  11:23:34  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much THO for bringing light to this mystery. And sorry see, you were absolutely right. I assumed that if they made a statement concerning Cyric as the former god of the dead, then their statements about Kelemvor could not be wrong (since he's the one who made Cyric the "former" god of the dead).

Edited by - Kilvan on 11 Dec 2008 11:27:03
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:20:48  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resuming...
The book Cult of the Dragon worth a poopie!

Mod edit: Let's watch the language, please.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Dec 2008 23:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! I hadn't even noticed this error when I read through that book. I must have been tired that night.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  18:38:53  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can worship a power and have that power at the same time be opposed to your organization.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're heretics.

Happens all the time.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000