Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mistress of the Night
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  15:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a full list of Shar's thirteen lies any where?

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  16:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No ... it is essentially a novel about a priestess of Selūne who opposes of one Sharran priestess of Shade. In that book, the "Leaves of One Night" are retrieved, pages from the book that later on is needed to call the Shadowstorm.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  20:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wait that confused me let me clarify. In the twilight war the frequently mention the thirteen truths of Shar. Unless I mistaken these are the tenets of thier goddess. Like the one that's often repeated through out the series " Only hate endures". That's what I was referring to, I was under the assumption that the leaves of one night which your referring to belonged to what was called the book to be made whole. If I understand you correctly the thirteen truths of shar is an actual novel that tells the tale of the leaves one night and book to be made whole?

Edited by - Stout Heart on 11 Dec 2008 19:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  21:18:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused as well, but I believe the word you were trying to use there is 'tenets', not tenths.

Zanan is German, so there could be some traslation problems with mispellings.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Dec 2008 21:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:09:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

-Whoops. Wrong WotC RPG game...

-No, I do not believe that there is an actual list anywhere, but such a thing would be fun to make up.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:50:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. The Sith Code is kinda an interesting fit though, when you consider how the Sith do actually lie to themselves about their power.

That aside, I wouldn't mind seeing a listing of the 13 lies myself. Though, I'd think I would want them vague, rather than specific... to reflect Shar's overall dogma.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:01:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lie #1: In the end, there will only be Chris Perkins...

-No, that's not it.

Tenet #1: In the end, there is nothing, only the eternal void.

Tenet #2: Attachment weakens the soul. It is only through disassociation that a being can overcome.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:34:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

-Whoops. Wrong WotC RPG game...

-No, I do not believe that there is an actual list anywhere, but such a thing would be fun to make up.

Aww... You can't post the Sith code without the obligatory Jedi code!

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Anyway, got this (dogma) off the Forgotten Realms Wikipedia. I believe it's from one of the novels

Reveal secrets only to fellow members of the faithful.
Never follow hope or turn to promises of success.
Quench the light of the moon (agents and items of Selūne) whenever you find it, and hide from it when you cannot prevail.
The dark is a time to act, not wait.
It is forbidden to strive to better your lot in life or to plan ahead save when directly overseen by the faithful of the Dark Deity.
Consorting with the faithful of good deities is a sin except in business dealings or to corrupt them from their beliefs.
Obey and never speak out against ranking clergy unless it would result in your own death.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  04:54:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's from Faiths & Avatars, and presumably reprinted in Faiths & Pantheons.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  09:24:49  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm confused as well, but I believe the word you were trying to use there is 'tenets', not tenths.

WHAT is the problem with my reply!? I did not mention anything about tenets or tenth or truth or whatever, just said what can be found ... or rather not be found in Mistress of Night*. The only thing that could be misleading is the title of the book itself, as it is about a Selūnite priestess. Though, on hindsight, the OP may not have looked at the novel, but just gave an alias of Shar to start his/her thread.

* "Mistress of Night" @ Amazon

Mod Edit: Cast Shorten URL.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Dec 2008 14:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  13:47:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-That's from Faiths & Avatars, and presumably reprinted in Faiths & Pantheons.

Thank you sir! I just checked my copy and it is the Dogma listed on page 58 of Faiths & Pantheons.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  16:39:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Figured. Most of F&P is reprinted from F&A/P&P/DD.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

WHAT is the problem with my reply!? I did not mention anything about tenets or tenth or truth or whatever, just said what can be found ... or rather not be found in Mistress of Night*. The only thing that could be misleading is the title of the book itself, as it is about a Selūnite priestess. Though, on hindsight, the OP may not have looked at the novel, but just gave an alias of Shar to start his/her thread.

* "Mistress of Night" @ Amazon

Mod Edit: Cast Shorten URL.

And that's where we got mixed up I didn't know mistress of the night was a book I was just using it to refer to Shar.

And for the record is says so much about us that well all know the Sith doctorate by heart lol.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:08:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WHAT is the problem with my reply!?
Zanan, I apologize if you took my post as some sort of insult. It was aimed at the post directly preceeding mine - by Stout Heart (the OP) - who not only used the word 'tenths' instead of tenets, but the line should have read "the tenets of their goddess", not "the tenths of there goddess", but the second point was minor so I didn't point it out.

I was part of another site that had a very large international membership, and learned to be very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on). I have no idea how 'handy' some of the scribes here are with English, but on that site many members used translation apps to read the posts of others, so we all had to learn to be very precise with our spelling out of politeness, rather then just being a bunch of "Grammar Nazis" (NO pun intended there).

I was correcting him, just in case you were using such a program (which I doubt, but you never know).

As for the confusion - he was asking about a list, and you gave an answer pertaining to a novel - it was a bit of a 'mental jump', and thats why we were both like "huh?"

Sorry if you took that badly in any way - I meant NO disrespect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Dec 2008 17:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:41:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on)...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:43:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

...very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on)...

Oh, that is a great one!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok ok give my grammar and spelling a break I'm a puncher not a poet.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  20:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Oh, that is a great one!

yeah ... give that man another spellchecker ... the one he's using is broke from the looks of it :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:03:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage casts Find Topic.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  01:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

WHAT is the problem with my reply!?
Zanan, I apologize if you took my post as some sort of insult. ...
Sorry if you took that badly in any way - I meant NO disrespect.

Easy, Markustay. I'd never have used smileys if I had taken it that serious or disrespectful. Point is, I know Shar primarily as "Nightsinger" or "Mistress of Night" and never noted that there is actually, much like in the novel title, a "the" in the latter alias. Hence I was only thinking of the novel. But of course I am flattered that you thought of a "mental jump" when commenting on my article.

The Sage-fixed* Zanan!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000