Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Descent Of The Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:44:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is my first post in your forums, and may well be my last. I have been a fan of the Realms for as long as I can remember, and have enjoyed stopping by to read through the scrolls on occasion.

I just finished reading through the 4th Edition Campaign Guide and I have to say I am thoroughly disgusted, as I see many of the scribes are as well. It is plain to me that the descent of the Realms which began with Wizards of the Coast and 3rd Edition has finaly reached its inevitable conclusion and gone off a cliff. It is nothing but a jumble of contrived plot lines thrown together to replace abandoned cannon.

While I have nothing but respect for Ed Greenwood (he has been my favorite contemporary author since I was in grade school) and hope he manages to salvage some small piece of his Realms, the only future I see for myself in with Realms products is re-reading old favorites and enjoying novels set in the realms' distant past. The current incarnation has discarded all of the rich and wonderfully developed characters I loved whose futures I looked forward to seeing penned.

As a result I have chosen to play ostrich and bury my head in the sand - I'll plant my imagination and campaign in the past. Maybe I'll even start playing with 2nd edition rules again just for spite.

I hope you all find some way to go on enjoying the realms so the profiteers at WOTC don't manage to wipe it out completely.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  05:02:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, you're not the first, and you probably won't be the last. Take solace that Rich Baker- contrary to popular belief- is not going to show up and take your old books. You have your memories, and you have your imagination. It's not much solace, I know, but it's better than nothing.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  06:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I miss the days of 3rd ed...everything was becoming simpler and easier to explain, yet at the same time complex and interesting and flexible.

Now...you got World of Faruncraft.

*sigh*

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  15:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually looking at this as a chance to broaden my horizons a bit and check out some other fantasy worlds. Since I no longer feel commited to reading every FR novel that comes out, I have more time to try out other novels--for example, I recently picked up the first of Ed's Falconfar novels.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  04:52:24  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry you feel that way, The Masked Mage.

Though I'm not terribly pleased with all that WotC had done, much less their rationale for doing it, I choose to take the advice Ed gave me privately and move on with the changes and make the most of them.

I currently run both a Third Edition and Fourth Edition D&D game in the Realms and we're having just as much fun as ever. Though much has changed, there's still a huge amount of un-mined potential in the (4E) Realms.

Should you ever come up for air, I hope you take the chance with a second look. Perhaps somewhere down the line WotC will have smoothed over the rough edges and made something good enough out of the Realms for you to reconsider.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that the majority of people here agree with those sentiments, TMM. Still, the 2nd and 3rd edition books are still around on Ebay, which is nice.

Like Rino, I've been checking out other fantasy worlds, like Paizo's Golarion. It's pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Now...you got World of Faruncraft.

*sigh*

Good one Arion. I just look at it as an opportunity to spend my hard earned jink somewhere else. Maybe we can get some more planar stuff out of the guys at Paizo. It won't be Planescape but if they could get DiTerlizzi or Post to do the artwork....

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  03:02:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-From what I've been briefed of it, Paizo's Golarian setting's Planar structure is...interesting. Without having actually read the material, as opposed to being told about it, I don't know if I like it or not.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  04:13:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe some day... but EVERY flushed out character in the realms (except Elminster who they managed to portray as completely hobbled - never mind that this new characiture completely departs from his personality) has been wiped out - even those from recent novels - who are now dead from old age. I'll most likely read anything E.G. or the other old writers put out for them in hopes they can give us some new characters to enjoy - but as far as 4th edition role playing, I see no point - as soon as I manage to get into this edition, they'll wipe it out and sell a new product and I'll have to start over.

Anyways, good luck with yours.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  04:14:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops - that was for Mr_M.

Like I said, I don't normally post.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  14:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

oops - that was for Mr_M.

Like I said, I don't normally post.

Well you can go back and edit the previous to last post and then delete the one I quoted.

As for your OP, I agree with you and like Rino will now read and play other things.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  15:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger Maybe we can get some more planar stuff out of the guys at Paizo. It won't be Planescape but if they could get DiTerlizzi or Post to do the artwork....

Paizo's planar book for Golarion will be out in 2009.

And while it isn't Planescape, that's where a majority of my inspiration comes from in terms of general atmosphere to the planes, with a dash of flavor from my own style of running planar campaigns. And again, while it isn't branded with Planescape on the cover, Paizo has Colin McComb of the original PS design team writing the first planar module within the setting. I've read a good chunk of the draft, and it's awesome. Trust me on this. Vintage awesomeness.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  21:10:05  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger Maybe we can get some more planar stuff out of the guys at Paizo. It won't be Planescape but if they could get DiTerlizzi or Post to do the artwork....

Paizo's planar book for Golarion will be out in 2009.

And while it isn't Planescape, that's where a majority of my inspiration comes from in terms of general atmosphere to the planes, with a dash of flavor from my own style of running planar campaigns. And again, while it isn't branded with Planescape on the cover, Paizo has Colin McComb of the original PS design team writing the first planar module within the setting. I've read a good chunk of the draft, and it's awesome. Trust me on this. Vintage awesomeness.

Hmmm, do I trust the King of the Crosstrade? Well if I know what's good for me I guess I'd better

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  15:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I'd say that the majority of people here agree with those sentiments, TMM...

I will add nothing about this discussion. We all have our opinion about the post-SP Realms and most of us miss the former ones. But that's the way business drove our (in fact: their !) Realms !

I'd like to know what TMM means in Uzzy's post please.
So I will add it to the Abreviations & acronyms topic

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  18:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Paizo's planar book for Golarion will be out in 2009.

I am greatly looking forward to this! They couldn't have picked a better person to flesh out their cosmology! I can't wait to read what lies within. And I hope it is extremely successful for you, so I can read ever more planar goodness from you in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  19:01:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I'd say that the majority of people here agree with those sentiments, TMM...

I will add nothing about this discussion. We all have our opinion about the post-SP Realms and most of us miss the former ones. But that's the way business drove our (in fact: their !) Realms !

I'd like to know what TMM means in Uzzy's post please.
So I will add it to the Abreviations & acronyms topic

It was a reply to the original poster, I think. TMM are the initials of The Masked Mage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  23:41:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

quote:

[quote]Paizo's planar book for Golarion will be out in 2009.

I am greatly looking forward to this! They couldn't have picked a better person to flesh out their cosmology! I can't wait to read what lies within. And I hope it is extremely successful for you, so I can read ever more planar goodness from you in the future.

Oooh! I missed this earlier.

Sounds good Shem. Will you be able to share any potential details on this tome once we get closer to its release date?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  23:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sounds good Shem. Will you be able to share any potential details on this tome once we get closer to its release date?

There are some details over on Planewalker http://www.planewalker.com/081007/pathfinder-planes-interview-with-todd-stewart and http://www.planewalker.com/081009/pathfinder-planes-interview-with-todd-stewart-part-2.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 26 Dec 2008 23:53:00
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  04:16:34  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There are some details over on Planewalker http://www.planewalker.com/081007/pathfinder-planes-interview-with-todd-stewart and http://www.planewalker.com/081009/pathfinder-planes-interview-with-todd-stewart-part-2.

Hey Shemmy, thanks for spreading the chant, glad to see they got a top-shelf blood like yourself lanning them on the dark of things and not some sodding clueless berk from WOTC .
Lots of that info seemed mighty interesting, I liked the russian doll idea, still able to work the paraelemental planes in that way, but how about the quasielemental ones?

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  05:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Lots of that info seemed mighty interesting, I liked the russian doll idea, still able to work the paraelemental planes in that way, but how about the quasielemental ones?

Well, derailing this thread a bit more - sorta. The quasielements are tricky, since the energy planes don't touch upon any of the elemental planes, just the material plane and shadow respectively for positive and negative. However when you get massive pure or mixed inclusions drifting between the nested shells of the elemental planes, you can get funky admixtures that might mimic the character of the original 1e/2e quasielementals. Not infinite in size, but an inclusion the size of solar system might as well be to a given group of mortal planewalkers. ;)

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  13:57:54  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, derailing this thread a bit more - sorta. The quasielements are tricky, since the energy planes don't touch upon any of the elemental planes, just the material plane and shadow respectively for positive and negative. However when you get massive pure or mixed inclusions drifting between the nested shells of the elemental planes, you can get funky admixtures that might mimic the character of the original 1e/2e quasielementals. Not infinite in size, but an inclusion the size of solar system might as well be to a given group of mortal planewalkers. ;)

Excellent idea Shemmy. More stuff for a certain dwarven member of the planewalkers guild to explore Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  18:03:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take the 10-20% of decent material in the 4e Realms and backwards-engineer it into the 3e Realms. Its not all bad, but the over-abundance of bad tends to eclipse the few juicy tidbits you can find if you rumage around, and there's no sense letting those go to waste.

Then use whatever ruleset you prefer.

Edit: And DEFIANATELY ignore the assinine timeline advancment - that serves no purpose - not even the one they say was the reason (the Spellplague covered that quite well all by itself). That was done solely to give the authors more 'elbow room' to write in, and detracts from the game setting in every way imaginable.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2009 16:10:13
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  18:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the Masked Mage:
Don't miss the "Questions for Ed Greenwood" threads here at the Keep ("So Saith Ed" in their handy compilations). Ed has dispensed enough lore to fill a dozen or more printed TSR or WotC sourcebooks, since 2004, entirely for free . . . and I sure hope he'll go on doing so. (Almost all of it 3e and earlier, so far.)
So the Realms aren't dead to you, if you don't want them to be. And The Hooded One, who posts Ed's replies here, is one of his original players, so she's a source of great lore and anecdotes, too.
To Rino-F: I hear Ed's second Falconfar book, ARCH WIZARD, is soon to ship. He should be finished the third, FALCONFAR, by now.
And for those who like dark elves who aren't QUITE drow, he has a series out from Tor Books, too: DARK WARRIOR RISING and DARK VENGEANCE, so far.
Long live the Realms!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  14:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
To Rino-F: I hear Ed's second Falconfar book, ARCH WIZARD, is soon to ship. He should be finished the third, FALCONFAR, by now.

Thanks for the heads-up. And, I was thinking of trying out his dark elf series too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  19:38:45  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

This is my first post in your forums, and may well be my last. I have been a fan of the Realms for as long as I can remember, and have enjoyed stopping by to read through the scrolls on occasion.

I just finished reading through the 4th Edition Campaign Guide and I have to say I am thoroughly disgusted, as I see many of the scribes are as well. It is plain to me that the descent of the Realms which began with Wizards of the Coast and 3rd Edition has finaly reached its inevitable conclusion and gone off a cliff. It is nothing but a jumble of contrived plot lines thrown together to replace abandoned cannon.

It's a question of where do we go from here. I, for one, have lots of books that I can now call a complete collection since The Realms have been nuked. But in the future the lack of new material that I will consider relevant means that I will probably drift of into another dice-related vice.

Is what we've seen with The Realms symptomatic of modern culture which seems to want to bring all things down to the lowest common denominator? The news is dumbed down and everyday is a sensational breaking news story. Modern movies think a large effects budget is a good story. I personally spend more time watching old B&W movies now because the stories are better. For example, In a Lonely Place is a great film because of the story.

Maybe with the advent of the internet and widespread use of "Messenger" programs people's attention spans are shorter. Yet books are still being published, bought and read. Whatever your feelings about Harry Potter, there are certainly a lot of people who bought a number of 500+ page novels recently. (Whether they read them is another thing though.)

I wish the changes never happened, but they did. A dear old friend is gone.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  20:10:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Thanks for the heads-up. And, I was thinking of trying out his dark elf series too.

I am goin to read Dark Warrior Rising as soon as I finish the Twilight Giants trio.

I am also using 4e as my reason to branch out into new and different types of books. A few weeks ago was the first time I have not bought a new release FR novelas soon as I saw a copy on the shelf. In fact I was Lucky? enough to come across Plague of Spells at my reseller for $2 , but just couldn't buy it. Which is how I found Dark Warrior Rising in the next aisle!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  01:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I am goin to read Dark Warrior Rising as soon as I finish the Twilight Giants trio.

I am also using 4e as my reason to branch out into new and different types of books. A few weeks ago was the first time I have not bought a new release FR novelas soon as I saw a copy on the shelf. In fact I was Lucky? enough to come across Plague of Spells at my reseller for $2 , but just couldn't buy it. Which is how I found Dark Warrior Rising in the next aisle!

That is lucky.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  03:28:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I am also using 4e as my reason to branch out into new and different types of books.

-That's kinda what I did. Most of the remaining Forgotten Realms novels that are out there that I haven't read yet that I am interested in reading aren't found in bookstores (the "rarer" old ones, in most cases). As such, when as I've gone to book stores, I've stopped going straight to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section (My ban on Star Wars books didn't "help", either). Because of that, I've branched out into reading (dare I say) a lot more interesting stuff. Real stuff, anyway.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  05:49:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

As such, when as I've gone to book stores, I've stopped going straight to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section

There are other sections in bookstores?!?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  06:13:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thats news to me Wooly!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  14:27:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There are other sections in bookstores?!?

-And, believe it or not, some of them are awesomer.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page