Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep is real?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This may not be entirerly the correct category to place this thread into but so I was looking at a map of the realms the other day and low and behold there is an actually candlekeep on the sword coast or whatever...may it be my never ending ignorance but I was under the impression candlekeep was more or less fictional "applying to the realms that is" and didn't exist in the actually setting or whatever. I had assumed it was a made up library/inn for people like us to hang out in...but like I said, to my suprise and excitement its not, it was on the map.

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Dec 2008 11:11:35

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  11:14:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep is indeed a real location within the Realms. 'Twas originally Alaundo's citadel, and his followers maintained it after his death.

You can learn more about Candlekeep in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, "Introduction to Candlekeep" by Ed Greenwood [on Candlekeep.com's Main Site], the 1993 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and "Candlekeep: Bringing the Fabled Castle to Life" [from DRAGON #255]. The latter article is based on the treatment in the Baldur's Gate CRPG, which is isn't canonical [though, note that BG novels are], but the information is decent and unlikely to be contradicted in the near future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Dec 2008 11:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  14:53:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep has been in a couple of novels, too. I think Elfshadow may have been the first novel it appeared in.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  14:57:56  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Candlekeep has been in a couple of novels, too. I think Elfshadow may have been the first novel it appeared in.

Indeed. I like the description and role of Candlekeep in Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad. Those Cyricists just LOVE the keepers of knowledge .

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  15:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember my lore correctly, there is also a myth of a duplicate library hidden away somewhere else in the Realms. Maintained as a back up.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  15:13:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and, there's a couple of Ed's replies that deal with Candlekeep as well. Search the "So Saith Ed" archives through my the link in my signature.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  21:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... one of my former characters was a N Elvish Diviner/lorekeeper which was mad at the ruling body of Candlekeep for not being open enough about letting people borrow and read thier books and was running around most of the northwesten part of Faerun under different aliases trying to install hatred against Candlekeep, and get his hands on books for opening a rivaling Library ... he wasn't to shy away from anything if it lowered the status of Candlekeep or ment that he could get more books for his (to be opened) rivaling Library, which would have much more lax rules ... the books is at the moment placed in a couple of modified "portable Hole"s, which is modified the way that you can get the book you want just the same way as the Harvy Handy Heaversack works

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  22:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention, of course, that Baldur's Gate (the computer game) starts off in Candlekeep and makes a substantial detour there at one point.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  01:12:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I haven't seen Alaundo post in this scroll.

Anyhow, I found a mention somwhere that there are FOUR great libraries in the Realms - it may have been in the info on the one in Impiltur - and Candlekeep was just one of those four (and the most famous).

In my homebrew lore, I have it where the library of Perpustakaan (Ronin Challege) is the secret, back-up library for Candlekeep. It is an enormous repository of the TRUE history of the Shou Empire (most of which is hidden or changed in the 'official histories'), and contains every bit of knowledge accumulated in Shou-Lung's long history. Coupling that old piece of canon lore with the new stuff about Anok-Imaskar, that means that there is probably quite a lot in there regarding Imaskar as well.

It's so secret, even the Shou Empire is unaware of it (and yet the scholars there still somehow maintain an up-to-date record of things).

Thats all canon - I only added the part about it being 'Candlekeep East', because it just fits so well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2008 17:20:46
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  07:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most interesting. The secret "mirror library" is mentioned in the FRCS without more specific information, so your lore may be actually be very close to real facts.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 07 Dec 2008 07:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to mention, of course, that Baldur's Gate (the computer game) starts off in Candlekeep and makes a substantial detour there at one point.

Cheers

Yup, the PC of that game grew up in Candlekeep, so for him or her, it's home.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:41:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Yup, the PC of that game grew up in Candlekeep, so for him or her, it's home.

Now that you mention it, that effected how I played the character. I based the roleplaying choices in the game off a naive librarian-type. Even though he was technically a ranger...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That kind of background does let you assume your character had a top-notch education.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, in the 3.5 adventure Anauroch (which follows Cormyr and Shadowdale), it suggests a visit to Candlekeep, with some information provided.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  03:53:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The there's, of course, Dragons of Faerūn list o' Dragons, complete with "ghost Dragon of Candlekeep" mentions.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000