Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drizzt Vs. Elminster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  16:17:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know, we don't like these threads but this VS. is from RAS in Kobold's Quarterly Friday Funny.

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/article122.php

Now, if this turns into a argument, then the mods can lock my thread. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  16:27:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I know, we don't like these threads but this VS. is from RAS in Kobold's Quarterly Friday Funny.

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/article122.php

Eh,I was hoping for something written. I just don't like watching or listening to interviews and such online.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Now, if this turns into a argument, then the mods can lock my thread. :)

And we will. So let this be a warning to those who might take this too far.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore: "If I ever get to use Elminster I will kill him."

That's goin' up on my wall.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  18:32:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That was a very candid interview. Raises R.A. Salvatore a notch higher in my book now.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  19:39:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, funny interview too.

Drizzt vs. Elminster eh? LOL

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  21:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see him getting to use Elminster and killing Elminster... I just don't see him as being allowed to keep Elminster dead.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  22:00:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I could see him getting to use Elminster and killing Elminster... I just don't see him as being allowed to keep Elminster dead.

-Didn't work for Troy Denning (though I doubt that Denning attempted to kill Elminster, rather than simply "take him out of the equation", nor do I think he had any hostile intentions), so...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  23:35:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmph. I can't I was too surprised by the comments made in that "Friday Funny."

Other than that, I found it rather bland actually, and not particularly funny.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  23:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...isn't it kind of impossible to kill Elminster (short of a Wish spell, I guess)?

Something about an innumerable number of clones, a la Manshoon...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  23:37:44  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun, though hard to hear.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  23:58:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Other than that, I found it rather bland actually, and not particularly funny.

-How so, bland? Not being funny, that much I can agree. This is the first interview with an author/designer that I can recall, in which the author/designer was somewhat critical of WotC and/or the design team calling the shots concerning the Forgotten Realms. The part where he alludes to Drow no longer having Infravision, and Narbondel suddenly becoming useless, that's as close to an author/designer being angry for rules/storyline/etc. change that I've ever heard.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Dec 2008 23:58:35
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  01:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I found it grating. The actual commentary (which really wasn't much I haven't heard before) was hard to hear; sadly, the clamorous yahoos in the background were not.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Dec 2008 01:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  01:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Sorry, I found it grating. The actual commentary (which really wasn't much I haven't heard before) was hard to hear; sadly, the clamorous yahoos in the background were not.

I thought the same thing...was that his kids in the background?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  01:49:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-How so, bland?
Pretty much for the same reasons Rinonalyrna suggested above.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  01:54:13  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't understand a word - I gave up very quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  02:44:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got perky ears...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  09:01:29  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

Fun, though hard to hear.

Much easier to hear if you use earphones. Bob's voice stays in the foreground that way, and the "whoahers" remain muffled in the background.

As others have said, nothing new, here.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  16:59:28  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST
Much easier to hear if you use earphones.

I did.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The audio clip is from R.A. Salvatore's seminar at this year's Gen Con. The people you hear asking questions are members of the audience.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:39:17  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol. That was great.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  14:17:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't Drizzt get obliterated simply for the fact that Drizzt is a mere mortal? I always found that part of Drizzt to be the most appealing. He was a relatively normal guy, albeit heroic qualities.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Wouldn't Drizzt get obliterated simply for the fact that Drizzt is a mere mortal? I always found that part of Drizzt to be the most appealing. He was a relatively normal guy, albeit heroic qualities.

It's really a joke--RAS has said before that who the winner is would depend on who is the one writing the story.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Dec 2008 15:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:36:06  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

It's really a joke--RAS has said before that who the winner is would depend on who is the one writing the story.

hehe, I know ;)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Yeah...isn't it kind of impossible to kill Elminster (short of a Wish spell, I guess)?

Something about an innumerable number of clones, a la Manshoon...

Having an innumerable amount of clones doesn't mean it is impossible to kill Elminster. Those clones just mean that his remaining "dead" isn't very likely... but killing him is as easy as overcoming all his other protectons.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:50:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hahahahahhaa. Great Interview
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:54:29  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was how Salvatore killed Chewbacca?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000