Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stuff you toss out in your home games
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  06:11:14  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For me,

-Everything east of Thay. And hence no Mongol Invasion.
-Everything south of Halruaa. No Al Qadim.
-No Spelljammers.
-No Matzica
-And of course, no Plague.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  07:20:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And by plague you are, of course, talking about the infectious magical plague unleashed during the Rotting War. Right?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  09:25:18  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, rrrright.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  09:59:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

sehanine and selune are not the same
yondala and chauntea are not the same.

mystra is not dead

cyric and shar married

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  12:28:25  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me,

-Time of Troubles
-Everything east of Thay and hence no Mongol Invasion
-No Maztica
-No Spellplague (and no Gods decimation etc.)
-No Thri-Kreen
-No Loxo

Edited by - arry on 30 Nov 2008 12:40:37
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  13:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

sehanine and selune are not the same
yondala and chauntea are not the same.

mystra is not dead

cyric and shar married

... that would imply that I play a campaign in 4E Realmspace, which I am not.

I do not use anything East of the Hordelands, South of Luiren either, but actually had a short adventure running in Maztica. Well, not the AD&D Maztica, but the northern landmass, an enclave settlement by the Thayans and some Northern seafarers, Hudson Bay - Company style.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 30 Nov 2008 13:08:20
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  15:32:07  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We ignore most of the 4E stuff and toss in our own ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  17:10:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every RSE or event that changed the setting. So, I suppose I toss realmslore from almost every novel, and now most sourcebooks, that have been released since 2000. As well as ignoring the planar changes that happened with the FRCS.

I can't comment on 4e material because I refuse to purchase any 4e novels or sourcebooks. So, I guess I'm tossing those as well but mostly I'm just ignoring them.

But I also tossed the ToT's because I've always liked the original Mystra, Bhaal, Myrkul, Leira, and some of the other deities that died during those events.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:22:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Return of Netheril.

That was a turning point for me; before that I always tried to stick with canon, despite the many changes I made to my Realms.

Since then, I'd also have to throw-away the return of Myth Drannor - I'm a big fan of keeping FR's past IN THE PAST.

As for newer changes and 4e... what's that?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:34:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Let's see...If I ran a Forgotten Realms game...

Set in 1,375 DR.

Bumps up the merger of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun into the Masked Lady in 1,374 DR.

Incorporates the events of the Kara-Tur Re-Dux.

The Shade Enclave is not busy "picking fights" with others, but instead, is in relative isolation in the Anauroch, relearning about the world.

The Dracorage Mythal was destroyed, but the phenomenon known as the Rage of the Dragon will still take place, as the Dracorage Mythal was simply a catalyst that brought it on faster, as opposed to the main reason for it.

Undermountain does not exist. Halaster Blackcloak exists, but is a Mad Mage in the Underdark, and not in any special realm.

Mystra is very diminished, and never was "the most powerful deity". She is an important deity, and a powerful one, but nothing like the "be all, end all" that she more or less is. She also is not very active in the affairs of mortals, and her Chosen would act more as The Magister does, propagating magic, and making sure abuses do not take place.

The Shadow Weave does not exist as a separate form of magic.

-That's all I got off the top of my head.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any of the dinosaurs that were actually ever on earth. And no Saurials either (which I guess means no Finder Wyvernspur as well...)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  19:11:18  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a home game at the moment, but if I did . . .

1) "Organized pantheons such as those of the Greek and Norse cultures do not exist in the Forgotten Realms, though there are some natural alliances and factions among the gods." — Cyclopedia of the Realms, page 17.

Accordingly, I'd ignore the pantheons of Chult, Kara-Tur (Nine Immortals), Maztica, Mulhorand, Unther, and Zakhara . . . and also those of the dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, etc. Yes, including the ones listed in the same Cyclopedia of the Realms. Local/racial/cultural aliases are fine, the "human" or "Faerunian" list of gods is expanded somewhat, and races will often have a patron (either a standard god who gives the race special attention, or an ascended culture-hero demigod), but that's it. (Lolth, for example, very much started as a demon, who first gained deific power by becoming the patron of the spider Beast Cult, and then later became patron of the drow.)

2) All published-material timeline advances from 1357 DR.

3) The common Great Wheel. There are rare and tremendously powerful magics that can pierce the cosmological barriers and allow non-deity beings to visit alternate multiverses, but FR is separate and self-contained, all the way to having its own separate Nine Hells with its own separate Asmodeus from the one Hieroneous might decide to crusade against.

4) Spelljammer. (Spelljammer and Planescape are both great loves of mine . . . but either breaks FR.)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  20:51:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

The Shade Enclave is not busy "picking fights" with others, but instead, is in relative isolation in the Anauroch, relearning about the world.

The Shadow Weave does not exist as a separate form of magic.

I like both of these ideas...the Shades seem like they would be better as a "Lost City" where people are still very insular. It doesn't make sense that they spent so much time in the Plane of Shadow as an isolated City-State only to return to the FR with a conquest mindset.

I like the idea of the Shadow Weave not existing too. While I did roll with it in my own Home Campaign, I never felt comfortable with Shadow Magic when 3.xe FR came out...it caused a fundamental shift in my campaign centered around returning all magic to the rule of one deity of magic. In fact, the Shade Dalor Darden's ultimate goal was to wrench Shadow Magic away from Shar and allow Mystra to have all magic.

So, thinking it through, I would probably go with Dagnirion's ideas here.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  21:13:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot also:

No Manshoon War; thus no Fzoul in charge of the Zhentarim.

No Time of Troubles; thus no Cyric or Kelemvor as gods. Or, if I did allow the Time of Troubles, it would be a period of simple Chaos as background instead of a motivating story-arc so that it was less intrusive over all. Maybe instead, the Gods are simply "frozen" in their home plane without ability to influence Faerun at all until their agents resolved the Tablets of Fate issue. That would allow for a nice story without direct intervention by the gods.

No massive influx of Drow into my game. They would all stay underground as the nasty baddies they are intended to be for the Underdark. They lost all mystery to folks that I played D&D with after they started popping up everywhere. "Oh look...another group of Drow. Everyone get their poison resist up, use your magic to buff us and fight off their spells since it is hard to hit them with our magic, everyone did take Blind-Fighting last level right?" Yadda, Yadda, Yadda...

Exit Manshoon the fool, and enter Manshoon the plotter (as intended). Mildly distracted as he may be, he would run a much stronger organization.

I would probably kick out a lot of real world reference myself. The Horde, Maztica, Al-Qadim (sp?) and even Kara-Tur. I would allow Kara-Tur in the Forgotten Realms; but there would be little to no contact with it...essentially a different setting all together. Lands "far away" I would maintain as mythical with little to no true facts known about them. Even Thay and Halruaa would be little known factors until much higher levels...as in no Red Wizard enclaves for the sale of magical items.

No Kingdom of Many Arrows.

No Sithelwhatsit Empire.

No conquest of Unther by Mulhorand, because Tiamat wouldn't kill Gilgeam.

Man...lots of stuff I guess. I didn't realize it; but I guess I would go back to the Grey Box and simply pick and choose carefully after that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  23:37:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Well, basically, I've never really incorporated any of the major Realms-Shattering-Events into my FR. Some of the less-obvious impacts of such events may have been utilised here and there, but I've never actually, for example, had the Shade Enclave return and there's been no "The Rage" style events in my Realms.

I've largely maintained using the Great Wheel cosmology that I started with back when the first Manual of the Planes was released. Though, over the years, I've derived some parts of the various edition-specific cosmological structures -- like the Tree and some elements of the 4e planar framework -- into my Realms cosmology. Though, I've also drawn parts from various third-party planar books and from my own imagination too, when building on the original framework of the Great Wheel. So I guess I've never really utilised the whole of the planar Tree in any significant way.

I've taken some minor tidbits from the FRCG as possible points for exploration in my FR. But I don't really have too much of a firm grounding in the 4e lore to really say what I can use and what I'd discard.
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

But I also tossed the ToT's because I've always liked the original Mystra, Bhaal, Myrkul, Leira, and some of the other deities that died during those events.
This is largely the same for me as well -- though I've got both Bane and Xvim active in my Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  05:07:31  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much of the "excess" exists in terms of sequential Realms events that deciding what will or won't be in a particular Realms game is a form of DM caveat that won't have any real effect on game play.

As for me.....well right now nothing springs to mind, for either my 3E or 4E game. It’s all in there.

I've fleshed stuff out for my 4E game, but that's not exactly altering lore, just beefing it up.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  12:55:26  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I startup my next FR campaign it will be 1369.

Items I likely won't include:
Return of the Shades
Anything 4E related

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my Realms, I'm ignoring pretty much all of the recent developments (for 4E). However, I'm ignoring a lot of stuff before that point too--many of the "important" novel events such as the Elven Crusade and the Rage of Dragons are either downplayed or haven't taken place at all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  15:04:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, right now I can't ignore the Elven crusade to retake Myth Drannor in my campaign. But I think future campaigns will be set further in the past (before RotA) and then we'll simply see what happens with the character's choices.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  15:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I toss out anything that contradicts what happens(ed) in my home games. For example, according to the events traspiring in my campaign, during the Time of Troubles, Myrkul was in fact slain quite easily. On top of Blackstaff Tower, a Knight of Bahamut charged at him and decapitated him with one blow (and his name was Ganondorf - yes the player DID take the name from the famous nemesis of Link, but he is not a Bull, but was sometimes full of bull)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:46:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I like both of these ideas...the Shades seem like they would be better as a "Lost City" where people are still very insular. It doesn't make sense that they spent so much time in the Plane of Shadow as an isolated City-State only to return to the FR with a conquest mindset.

-Well, on the Plane of Shadows, they weren't exactly isolated. They got into shoving matches with the Drow of Chur'mur'ssin (forgive the spelling, but I don't feel like looking it up right now).

-I thought of a few more:

Using the Great Wheel/Planescape cosmology.

Maztica would not exist, and in lieu, Chult would be a lot more mysterious. The events of Amn "discovering" Maztica would instead concern Amn colonizing Chult.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  19:23:42  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The elven crusade ran out of steam before Myth Drannor was retaken.
-Blackstaff does not repair the High Moor nor does he die.
-Halaster does not die.
-Mystra is warned in time to prevent her assassination, and slays Cyric preventing the Spellplague and 4th ed.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  19:27:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

-Mystra is warned in time to prevent her assassination, and slays Cyric preventing the Spellplague and 4th ed.

I don't think she's THAT powerful.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Well fortunately, she knows the person that controls what edition is used at my gaming table, and he has fond memories of playing Mystran clerics

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  19:53:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think he meant that she just says "no" to the spellplague, only that her own death having been prevented causes the spellplague to be stopped.

As for her slaying Cyric...hey, he was on HER plane.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  20:10:17  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
most events after Cloak & Dagger

Dambrath
Zakhara (kinda, negative energy)
Utter East
Altumbel
Sespech
Great Dale
Chondath (kinda, elven)
the cosmology
Tempus
elemental lords
Ao

some other but they aren't completely tossed out but changed
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  20:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I keep things like Maztica and Al-Qadim... but largely ignore stuff like the City of Shade.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  21:35:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

quote:

I don't think he meant that she just says "no" to the spellplague, only that her own death having been prevented causes the spellplague to be stopped.

As for her slaying Cyric...hey, he was on HER plane.

Actually, I meant her stopping 4th edition. That would take a lot of mojo!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  23:31:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-She doesn't need to be. WotC does it for her:

The canon time before the "new" Forgotten Realms was released was 1,375 DR. The most problematic thing that AGHotR did was (A) continued to perpetuate the concept that Elminster visits Ed Greenwood, and that the two share information and (B) include an extra 10 years past the canon date, including information up until 1,385 DR (which includes mentioning that Cyric kills Mystra and begins the Spellplague). All that would need to happen to avoid it would be Elminster taking back a copy of AGHotR from Ed Greenwood. In doing so, Elminster now contains an index of important things that are guaranteed to happen in the next ten years, from 1,375 DR to 1,385 DR. With this in mind, Elminster, and by proxy, Mystra, know that in 1,385 DR, Cyric intrudes into Dweomerheart and kills the deity of magic.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  12:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I exclude pretty much everything that exists or is inspired by the novels released after the FRCS for 3rd Edition. I have my own Roll of Years for these subsequent years which is shaped by my own ideas and the actions of the my players.

So no Silence of Lolth (yet- I have some of my own ideas here pre-dating the release of the FRCS3) but the Return of Shade is there.

I love having the blank slate to draw on... with the option of including events as I see fit.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  14:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra could have known about the assassination attempt beforehand, had she consulted with fellow Dweomerheart native Savras...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000