Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2019 :  12:13:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

George,

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could use the weave?

Like how I did that? Caught you unawares didn't I?

Is he using the spell Theover's Cutting Axe? That would greatly increase the rate of his woodchuckery.

Of course he is, he is after all Theover the Wizarding Woodchuck, creator of the Theover's Wizarding Hands Cantrip which temporarily allows him to cast spells with somatic components. Ah, such great scholarship, but of course you would know of him with your own interests. After all, he is known to live if Rashemen where he helps a small colony of dire beavers maintain several large damns which are also home to a colony of miniature giant space hamsters said to be "the grandchildren of the great and mighty Boo".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  03:39:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aez
Your answer piqued my curiosity since I'm also working on filling in more of the blanks that I find in Impiltur's map. I've been using Markustay's map (http://candlekeep.com/images/sitegfx/mt_impiltur.jpg) as a reference, though it also seems to have sourced the incorrect locations from the Dragon #346 map.

I'm trying to figure this out in relation to the possible locations of the Marcher Lord castles rebuilt during DR743 (sourced from your Impiltur timeline https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171173/The-High-History-of-Impiltur). In my head, I imagine the Grimjaws Seminary as a bit of a fortified monastery ala Prejmer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejmer_fortified_church), so I figure that it'll have significant sway in the area as a secular power as well.

Do you have any further descriptions or context for why the Grimjaws Seminary or Towers of Lamentation (or the Halls of Loyalty) are placed where they are?

No profound reasons. I just decided to put them there.

I think your conception for the Grimjaws Seminary works just fine.

As for fort locations, they were scattered all over, with most clustered along the river line and the two "Waters" but also some in the flat lands and along the Earthspurs. If I ever managed to do an Impiltur product for the DMs Guild, I'd get someone talented to do a big map with all sorts of stuff on there. I was working toward something like that with Markus Tay but he's moved on to other projects.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 26 Jan 2019 03:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2019 :  20:34:51  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
From your excellent Lord of the End of Everything article, after "the historical period known as Shartra (or darkness in the Imaskari tongue)", imaskari "conquerors recovered the Golden Skins of the World Serpent that Jergal had discarded and over time and with much trial and loss, bent this artifact to their will, forming the fabled Seven Imarskana." This happened in the Late Period of the Imaskar Civilisation.

But from LEoF :
"First Imaskarcana: Crafted by an ancient Lord Artificer in Inupras more than nine thousand years ago..." and "Fifht Imaskarcana: Forged some eight thousand five hundred years ago.. the fifht Imaskarcana contains the entire military history of Imaskar from -7500 DR onward"

And Ed Bonny reply :
The date in the line reading "-3891 Under orders from Emperor Omanond, Imaskari artificers create seven tomes that record the empire’s immense magical lore for all eternity. These later become known as the Imaskarcana." should actually say -7891 DR.
- Ed

This suggest the first imaskarcana was crafted in -7891 DR and the fifth imaskarcana circa -7500 DR.

So,
-3891 : this is the False Imaskarcana imaskari forged after discovered the Golden Skins of the World Serpent...
or
-7891 : imaskari find the Golden Skins of the World Serpent whithout disturbing Jergal's sleep... nor discovering his presence... Jergal awake in -4370, discover the theft of the Golden Skins of the World Serpent and unleash "a plague on the unsuspecting Imaskari, which lead to the historical period known as Shartra"...

Just some digression...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 02 Feb 2019 20:35:28
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2019 :  01:59:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well firstly, my Jergal work is not official and likely never will be, but you have to understand that there are many Imaskaracana. In fact, I think the term must simply mean "created powerful magic item" in Roushoum.

The -3891 DR date for the creation of the Imaskarcana is repeated in GHotR and so remains canon, whatever Ed Bonny might say. I've got his original chapter turnover for LEoF and that's the date he put in the timeline provided. Of course Travis Stout did the magic items chapter which explains the differing dates, but the errors were not picked up in editing.

So what's the solution? (If one is needed at all) I think it is a simple one. As Imaskarcana have to be items of great power crafted by the Artificers of the Imaskari, it is clear that they can create many - see Dragon #281 for other versions as well as GHotR (p.31) for mention of the False Imaskarcana.

So I see there being many Imaskarcana - with sages, historians and loremasters giving them fanciful groupings like "the First" or "the Seven", In all likelihood there were a boatload of Imaskarcana and from my point of view, some of them may have been transformed Nether Scrolls.

And of course, many moons ago, the esteemed Steven Schend had this to say about the "Seven Imaskarcana":

"The mention of the Imaskarcana on the old WotC FR frontpage is throwaway stuff to add flavor and depth to the setting, as we can't possibly detail everything of importance across all times in the Realms. After all, we can't easily name every piece of regalia for the crown of England across 933 years thanks to Cromwell's melting down of much of it; now why should we be able to identify and catalogue every important item across hundreds of realms, all long since fallen? Anyway, that's the rationale for dropping in legendary items - they are sometimes among the few tidbits we've got on various people and places.

As for who/what the Seven Imaskarcana were/are, here are my theories and obfuscations:
While their contents and forms are much disputed, the Seven Imaskarcana are inarguably seven great stores of knowledge about magic, thus the name.

Some contend that the arcana collectively contain the knowledge of the Imaskari/Raurinese sorcerer-kings (or whatever their title may be, for each sage coins titles anew with each writing).
Many have theorized that the Seven Imaskarcana provide total understanding and much lost lore on each school of magic save Necromancy. While this supposes the existence of an eighth or further Imaskarcana, the few who entered the Plains of Purple Dust to prove this theory have never returned to add to the lore.

Many others have supposed that they each held the history of an age of Raurin, and the end of the Seventh Imaskari Age led to its destruction and the birth of the Old Empires.
Still others suppose that each of the Seven holds innumerable secrets of magic, though they correspond to the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, dragons, and a seemingly lost race of aquatic creatures.

All of these theories above suggest that the Imaskarcana were massive great-tomes bound in slate covers lined with blue dragon's skin, though the makeup of the pages was said to be vellum, the skin of humans or elves or even tanar'ri, or even crystal that was given the flexibility of paper without the weaknesses. Only a few sages think of these artifacts otherwise, though there are an isolated few from Thay who so dare.

The strangest suggestion, made by one Thamaultadh of Tyraturos, implies that the Seven Imaskarcana are not items or storehouses of lore so much as they are great menhirs of stone embedded with great magics and now lost in the Great Desert of Raurin. His theories, contained only in his notebooks (now safely ensconsed in Candlekeep after 480 years), suggest that the Imaskarcana projected a magical barrier around the Imaskari lands, protecting it from invasion by magical forces. He further supposed this was why the genies of Calim and Memnon settled Calimshan rather than the Inner Sea. The Seven lay in the western sands of the desert and were all that remained of a series of 28 menhirs that bordered the Imaskari's claimed lands.
Thamaultadh's own apprentice and seventh son refuted his father's strange theory with one equally bizarre: The Seven Imaskarcana are neither books nor menhirs, though they could conceivably be both stores of knowledge and magical defenses of the Imaskar lands. Synnaros of the Twelve Tomes proposed that the Seven Imaskarcana were, in fact, seven massive but identical statues placed in various places now buried within the borders of the Raurin Desert. These golem-like statues appeared as sages sitting with an open tome upon their laps. Should folk uncover or find one of the Imaskarcana, they could ask questions of it, and it would provide any knowledge that it held.

Elminster's surprisingly close-mouthed about the truth of the matter, so he either doesn't know the answer or simply enjoys dribbling enough lore to whet the appetite without fully sating it. He did smirk about Synnaros' theory, and said

"I have seen one of these giant stone sages of Imaskar, aye. Whether it be one of Seven or an Imaskarcana at all is for someone of more rarified interest than mine own. Of course, ye can only get answers out of it if ye know the tongue of the Imaskari, for it only recognizes that tongue. There be only one Faerunian living or dead who might teach it to ye, and he's hardly one to welcome ye for a lesson while he wanders about the Underhalls......"

Is that sufficient for peoples' curiosities on these stray references? We'll probably never know more officially until we turn our attentions to that corner of Faerun again.....sometime in the distant future......"

But I for one appreciate the digression.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Feb 2019 02:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  17:03:04  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much !

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Aez
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  04:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Aez's Homepage Send Aez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
As for fort locations, they were scattered all over, with most clustered along the river line and the two "Waters" but also some in the flat lands and along the Earthspurs. If I ever managed to do an Impiltur product for the DMs Guild, I'd get someone talented to do a big map with all sorts of stuff on there. I was working toward something like that with Markus Tay but he's moved on to other projects.

Thanks for the help - I figured that the two "Waters" would be a hotspot for these fortifications due to all the conflicts with the Giantspurs hobgoblins.

I'm working on a (garbage) map as part of my work, but I do not fit the bill as a talented mapmaker. If you do ever put that together, I'd be thrilled to dig into it.

-Aez
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  20:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was going through material trying to think up questions I stumbled on your fan lore "Lord of the End of Everything", somehow I had made a copy of it locally intending to read it and never did more than skim it, tragic. Well I remedied that, I must say it is fantastic. I understand it isn't canon, but it ties so well into so many things throughout FR history. I am canonizing it in my personal Realms. I find it is especially good at conveying how one empire flows into the next.

I couldn't find anyone specifically asking questions about it, so apologies if these have already been answered. With so much lore in that article it is hard to tell what ideas you created to connect everything? I think I remember reading Jergal was non-human in the past. I don't specifically remember the Imaskari having anything to do with the Nether Scrolls? I don't know of any references to Spell Weavers in FR. Really any sort of incite in your process of writing this piece would be welcomed. Hopefully learning about your process will help me write my own Realms material for my home game.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  22:20:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George's article was truly awesome and provided so many plot hooks.

I turned the sstar gems into chardalyn, the ritual at ascore into the origin of the netherese sharn that contained the phaerimm, the spellweaver colony into a wide ranging network of colonies with its node in azulduth. He gave an origin to jergals appearance in that keep in the border kingdoms, a reason for phaerimm involvement in Netheril and imaskar, an origin story for bhaal, an origin for the nether scrolls, an explanation of ascore

And after discovering it was influenced by paizos ecology of the spellweaver there is more you can weave in with their magic cocoons and rebirth process.

I'd still be expanding this lore now if I wasn't waiting to see what other Netheril related goodies he comes up with. A truly excellent article, one of his best.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  00:41:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh shucks. I can't claim all the credit. The article had its roots in work Eric Boyd and I were doing a few years ago and have now returned to. The Jergal/spellweaver connection came from him as did much of the early history and I then riffed in terms of Jergal's machinations over the Nether Scrolls, travels over Faerûn and concluding Netheril foray. Dazzlerdal notes most of the lore connections that brought it together (Ed's Border Kingdom mention of Godswalk Keep, the Underdark product noting a phaerimm presence in Imaskar, etc.).

I should point out to you that Eric had and has a different take on Jergal which is likely to be showcased in his next product Crown of Eaerlann if we ever finish it! When that happens, mine will quietly slide into somnolence and remain what it always was and is: fan musing.

Oh, and just so you know, given recent e-mail exchanges between Eric and I on adjunct topics, I think I would have to revamp the article a little bit in any event.

Thanks for taking the time.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  08:36:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat unsettling news.

Wotc has abandoned this realms reality for their own less interesting creation(best thing they ever did in my opinion), and in the absence of their misguided steer, us realms fans have looked to others (You, Eric, and ed) to provide the expansions to lore we so desperately desire. And you have generously complied, for which we are infinitely grateful.

Canon is no longer official wotc approved sourcebooks, it is forum posts from the chambers of the sages, it is Twitter posts, it is articles like layla maurshanta, yahdi el alamat, the zulkirate of thay, the impiltur timeline, Lord of the end of everything, and sourcebooks like illefarn anew.

Until now there has been no conflict and use obsessed enthusiasts have catalogued everything and use it as much as any other official sourcebook.

If you and Eric have different views on Jergal then please attempt to reconcile them into a single vision. Eric's own approach is never to ignore a source and your article is now a source. Revise it, amend it, such things happened often in past sourcebooks, but please don't ignore it. I think Steven said that there are no mistakes, only opportunities for good
Storytelling.

I don't know if you have ever considered it or intended for it to happen but I (and I expect many in the community) regard you and Eric and ed as the keepers of canon for the 14th century DR. And although I doubt any of you intended for that to happen by generously providing your time and skills, but it is the state of things at the present.

On a more personal note I loved the Lord of the end of everything and regard it as an excellent explanation of one of the most mysterious deities in faerun. It is made even better because it closely mirrors my own approach, that gods do not directly affect the material plane, instead you made Jergal a real being with a colourful history and later catapulted him into an unwanted divinity, explaining many of the legends and tales about him. I hope we see a revised version later that works with Eric's vision as well, often the best lore comes from reconciling different works that seems incompatible.

And please don't take this as an attack or anything disparaging, I'm just trying to explain how i think many of us here feel about your articles and I would have for Lord of the end of everything to slide into obscurity and would instead like to see it reborn anew like an old adventure brought back to life, but I'm sure you and Eric are doing that already anyway.

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  11:13:54  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey how ya been, George? I haven't had much of a chance to dive into anything Realmsian for awhile now, but I've recently found both the time and motivation so I'm back!

I was wondering if you could give me any additional information on the Barrowlands in Impiltur. I've read the little tidbits in the Dragon article, but I was just wondering what it looks like. I know it's a wasteland of course, but can you tell me about anything else there? I know there are tombs, but what are they like? Any other ruins or notable features? At what point do the Barrowlands start from the coastline? What is it that keeps the Barrowlands from becoming more verdant?

And I mean I have to ask, any additional comments on the system of tunnels underground and the alleged Demonbinders that go with them? Where do the rumors/stories of their continued existence come from? How did the "adventurers" (I've always hated the term..) get down into the tunnels? If they're tombs, why is there even a system of tunnels?

Just a few questions

Thanks George!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  02:23:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, that little tidbit is all there is. The rest is up to the DMs and gamers out there who want to expand on the lore and make it their own. I know that's not particularly helpful, but I've found that the Realms works better when you leave a bit of mystery and "wiggle room" in things.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  10:15:17  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's kind of what I figured was the intention. I just wondered in a general sense what your intentions were regarding it. Or comparing it to our world, what/where geographically would it be roughly analogous to?

It's good to be back
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  07:19:29  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, George,

First of all, thank you very much for all your Realms creations, past, present, and future. Some of the greatest stuff I’ve laid eyes on. speaking of... I was totally convinced thzt I had saved / copied your « Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything » piece from the old Realmssecretariat site, but now it seems that I have not. Would it be possible to get a copy, please?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  07:58:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Hi, George,

First of all, thank you very much for all your Realms creations, past, present, and future. Some of the greatest stuff I’ve laid eyes on. speaking of... I was totally convinced thzt I had saved / copied your « Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything » piece from the old Realmssecretariat site, but now it seems that I have not. Would it be possible to get a copy, please?

Sure Thauramarth. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it through.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  15:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lord Rilimbraun Heltharn spends most of his time in Lyrabar although he is known to summer in Filur. He wakes just before dawn in his residence Blackstag Manor, just east of the Mount and within a bowshot of the Liongate, and after his ablutions, he spends a candle in prayer to Tyr, seeking his deity's blessings for the day ahead. After a light breakfast (palmgolds and softcurd - peaches and yoghurt to you outlanders)...

I have a very specific query about an incredibly minor detail in this old lore about Lord Rilimbraun.

Where in the Realms do 'palmgolds' (peaches) grow and what can you tell me about their use in various regional cuisines?

By which I mean, are there areas known for palmgold cobbler or pies? Where are the most famous palmgold liquors made?

Lord Rilimbraun is a great lord, with access to vast resources, living in an affluent trade port, so the palmgolds could easily be imported from Aglarond, Old Empires, Thay or the Vilhon Reach, but there is a chance southern Impiltur (and by extension, then, probably also the southern part of the Vast, around Procampur and Tsurlagol) has a climate that makes it possible to grow them locally.

I'm asking because a cultured and cosmopolitan dwarf priest from the Earthfast is cooking a feast* and I was wondering if peaches were known (and available) in the Vast.

If they are, caramilized peaches can be used in place of tomatoes** to make a delicious sauce for grilling meat in firepits.

*Using up what remains of their fresh supplies before the adventurers must rely on travel rations for the rest of their journey.
**Which Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue insists are exotic fruits imported from Maztica.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  17:02:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the eastern Realms, the Vilhon - specifically Turmish - grow the greatest quantity of palmgolds. Impiltur gets most of its stone fruit from the city-states of the Wizard’s Reach however, where there are abundant orchards also. Delthuntle leads the way in this regard. Impiltur on the whole can’t grow palmgolds, and yes, it is only Rilimbraun’s station that ensures a supply when they are in season.

— George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  17:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the eastern Realms, the Vilhon - specifically Turmish - grow the greatest quantity of palmgolds. Impiltur gets most of its stone fruit from the city-states of the Wizard’s Reach however, where there are abundant orchards also. Delthuntle leads the way in this regard. Impiltur on the whole can’t grow palmgolds, and yes, it is only Rilimbraun’s station that ensures a supply when they are in season.

— George Krashos

Thanks a lot.

Aside from apples, then, what fruits are grown in Impiltur and the Vast?

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2019 :  13:48:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Impiltur, the following fruit are most commonly encountered:

Apples

Hargalon: These purple, nigh black apples are found in the coastal lands near Dilpur and are rock-hard and sour when first in season. They require aging for at least 6 months before their sweet, firm fruit comes to full ripeness and offers notes of cherry, cinnamon, vanilla and coriander.

Graele’s Green: a green-skinned, firm apple that grows wild across Faerûn from eastern Amn to western Impiltur. It is used for both eating and baking and has a sharp, tart flavour profile.

Jillim: This rich, red-skinned apple is the most prevalent of those grown in Impiltur and is juicy, crisp and sweet with a touch of tart depending on ripeness.

Pears

Saral: This pale-red, pear is a staple of Impiltur and grown profusely. It is soft and juicy when ripe and very sweet.

Condar: This green, elongated pear is grown primarily in the Uplands and is firm when ripe, but with very sweet, white flesh. It keeps and travels well.

Baro: This yellow-brown pear is rounder in shape and grown in the coastal lands between Dilpur and Sarshel. It is crisp and firm when ripe and only mildly sweet. Often used in cooking.

Cherries

Denba: These dark red cherries are sweet (the darker they get, the riper and sweeter they are) and are grown throughout Impiltur. They are the staple cherry found in the kingdom.

Olvur’s Suns: These yellow cherries exhibit thin red steaks when very ripe but are otherwise a less sweet, but bigger alternative to the Denba. Grown mostly in orchards on the southern slopes of the Earthfasts.

Urdis: This pink-hued cherry is sour in its flavour profile but excellent when dried, pickled or used for cooking. This type is grown in the Uplands and is also a favourite of the halflings who live along the Easting Coast, who call them “Drims”.

Plums

Peris: These deep purple plums are round in shape and have a sweet, mild flavour when ripe. They hold together well when cooked and so are often used in pies and pastries.

Galan: These green-skinned plums are common in the orchards around Lyrabar and have greenish-yellow flesh. Their taste has a honey flavour to it.

Tebel: These small, reddish in hue plums are often used for making distilled spirits for they are very sweet. Commonly grown in the various monasteries to the Triad dotted around Impiltur.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 01 Nov 2019 14:37:18
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2019 :  14:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George.

The PCs stocked up twice, once in Ravens Bluff at the beginning of Mirtul and once in King's Reach on 15 Mirtul.

A halfling majordomo of one PC handled the provisioning in Ravens Bluff and anything that might have been expected to survive a month or so might still remain of those original supplies.

Depending on when Hargalon apples are harvested, the PCs might have been provided with a cask of them stored over the last few months of winter. If Hargalon apples are in season in the fall, for example, they might be sufficiently aged in Tarsakh and Mirtul to be perfect.

Other apples and pears aren't usually in season in early spring, so preserves made from them are more likely than fresh fruit, at least for the supplies bought just as Mirtul began. If any of these varietals are ripe in the spring, however, and grow near King's Reach in the Vast, the PCs would certainly have added a goodly supply.

If cherries in the Realms have similar growing seasons as on Earth, the first cherries of the sweet varietals should be ready in Mirtul and the sour ones should follow a month later (or as late as Eleasis or Eleint in colder areas). This means that the first harvest of Denba cherries and perhaps Olvur's Suns might be available in King's Reach on 15 Mirtul, especially if Olvur's Suns have historically been favored by dwarves in the region (seems plausible judging by where they are grown).

Plum season should also be starting. Out of Peris, Galen and Tebel varietals are most favored by dwarves and most likely to be available in King's Reach?

Dwarves are obviously going to want many kinds of sweet fruit to make alcoholic beverages, if nothing else, and it makes sense for them to have grown them on the surface around King's Reach while they briefly held sway in the region.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2019 :  22:19:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your timing sounds right re when fruit is available. The dwarves source Galan plums for eating, and they are found in the Vast, but love to get their hands on Tebel for distilling into plum brandy. Rumor has it that some dwarven merchants trade arms and armor to the monasteries and temples of the Triad in Impiltur for access to Tebel plums.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  03:39:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friend Krash, I'm working on an NPC. He's a half-dragon priest of Oghma. For no particular reason, I decided to have him be from Impiltur.

So, how are half-dragons treated in Impiltur? (Mine is half-bronze)

And aside from the big temple in Songhal, how widely worshipped is Oghma, in Impiltur?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  20:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Say, George, what can you tell us about etiquette, good manners and 'the done thing' in Impiltur?

What is the expected course of events when a young man cones a courting?

What about when a young lady becomes enamored with a stranger introduced to her at a ball? What are her options and what is viewed as the 'done thing'?

In romantic chap books popular in Impiltur, what kibd of behaviour is edgy and exciting, but still sympathetic?

What behaviour crosses a moral line and marks a previosly exciting love interest as a dastard and a blackguard?

How are social mores and expected behaviour for young nobles (and those who aspire to noble status, such as through marriage) distinct from normal common courtesy?

To take a concrete example, how does aristocratic bodice-ripping romantic literature in Impiltur treat adultery, specifically, betrothed partners being seperated and sleeping with someone else before finding their loves again.

Many Anglosphere players will unconsciously assume that manners and savoir-faire anywhere in the Heartland and 'civilized' Realms defaults to a variety of Regency social mores, with perhaps some later Victorian flourishes.

That is, we expect Impilturan nobles to act either like the youths in Georghette Heyer stories or the far more straight-laced Regency Romance heroes and heroines, interprented, in the worst case, through Victorian mores held by parents, aunts and petty social climbers.

How wrong are our assumptions?

What should we expect instead?

How much freedom do the daughters of social-climbers enjoy, when it comes to making their own friends, selecting their own prospective mates and the like? Assuming gently-born (if little known), affluent, but never really respected among the true upper crust.

Are tropes and mores from Earthly 'Comedies of Manners' applicable at all?

Or are The Song of Ice and Fire stories a more reasonable depiction of how Impilturan gentry and nobility handle courting, familial allegiances and weddings.

Basically, when I've got numerous characters aspiring to idealized Impiltur upper-class values, for some of them raised to them and others gotten from books, what are those values and how do they clash?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2019 :  14:57:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Friend Krash, I'm working on an NPC. He's a half-dragon priest of Oghma. For no particular reason, I decided to have him be from Impiltur.

So, how are half-dragons treated in Impiltur? (Mine is half-bronze)

And aside from the big temple in Songhal, how widely worshipped is Oghma, in Impiltur?

Well, why wouldn't you have him come from Impiltur? It's the most brilliant FR realm going around.

My answer works for the pre-Spellplague Impiltur, though I suppose it can be adapted to the Sundering era if you like.

In the Year of the Riven Skull (1250 DR), Impilturian woodcutters, travelling deeper into the Grey Forest than was the norm, came upon an ancient elven ruined tower, which further exploration and magic revealed to be from the time of the long-ago elven kingdom of Larlotha. In that tower were found a clutch of bronze dragon eggs, in stasis, and believed to be the last get of the fabled bronze wyrm Vorasaegha, who had made a pact with the elves of that realm.

The decision was made by King Lashilmbrar to have the eggs hatch and give the bronze dragons life in return for a pact whereby the dragons, a score in all, would pledge service to the kingdom and in return be granted their freedom after a century of service and a quantity of treasure for their respective hoards (the idea being that some would be prepared to remain allies of Impiltur even after that time and after reaching adulthood the females would breed another generation of prospective defenders to be offered service to the throne).

Thus were the Wardragons of Impiltur created and in no small measure were the reason why Impiltur experienced generations of uninterrupted peace after the machinations of the "Traitor Prince" Thaum of Telflamm in 1295 DR (the dragons were too young to pose any great threat to the rebel armies and Thaum and his forces are known to have slain some 4 of the young bronze dragons ere their protectors managed to escape with them to Aglarond and other safe havens).

By the time of the Queen-Regent Sambryl, the Wardragons had received the colloquial moniker of the "Queen's Bronzes" and formed an integral part of the Warsword of Impiltur. Reaching adulthood, and the ability to polymorph into human shape, it is known that at last three of the fifteen bronze dragons that had survived to that time (Tardratharonn, Rulmaraethar and Pranamalasta) had half-dragon children, which were raised by their human parents (and quietly financially supported by the Crown). The total number of children was thought to be a two-score or so (the dragons shared their favors with abandon), and recognisable by their medium brown skin (making them appear to be from the lands of the Vilhon), yellow-bronze eyes and bronze-tipped hair. Known to the general populace as "the Burnished" when referred to in the third person, their presence in the major population centres of the realm drew little comment or reaction after a time - and in fact made the life of other half-dragon travellers and adventurers all the easier passing through or dwelling in Impiltur.

With the advent of the Rage in the Year of Rogue Dragons (1373 DR) and the devastation brought to the realm by the machinations of Sammaster and the madness wrought on the Queen's Bronzes, the attitude to half-dragons has shifted perceptibly. Some of the half-dragon progeny were affected by the Rage also, exhibiting uncharacteristic behaviors and in a few cases, committing acts of violence or destruction that saw them land afoul of the authorities. Since that time, the people of Impiltur have been less welcoming to half-dragons of all types and the Burnished have experienced a degree of prejudice and distrust that has made it difficult for them to live "normal" lives. A fair few have left the realm as a result, while others have moved to smaller towns and settlements to avoid this treatment, and currently being a half-dragon in Impiltur comes with the stigma of noticeable racial intolerance.

So there it is. Your NPC is likely to be having a tough time of it, but hey, them's the breaks.

And quickly, Oghma is worshipped in Impiltur as it has always accommodated that faith and also that of Deneir as a "frontier of learning" in the lands of the East, but I wouldn't describe that worship as being "wide". Songhal houses the only temple but there are shrines in Lyrabar and Sarshel as well.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2019 :  16:44:33  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just gotta say, George.. your one of the BEST.

Sam

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2019 :  15:59:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, why wouldn't you have him come from Impiltur? It's the most brilliant FR realm going around.

Honestly, I would have never thought of Impiltur, if not for your love of the place. It simply wasn't on my mental map of the Realms, so to speak, until you started fleshing it out, here. It's great lore like this post that made me interested in the area.

quote:

My answer works for the pre-Spellplague Impiltur, though I suppose it can be adapted to the Sundering era if you like.

I don't have a specific date for my project in mind; I'm kind of leaving it open. That said, I favor the pre-Spellplague era, and my musing is focused in that direction.

quote:

With the advent of the Rage in the Year of Rogue Dragons (1373 DR) and the devastation brought to the realm by the machinations of Sammaster and the madness wrought on the Queen's Bronzes, the attitude to half-dragons has shifted perceptibly. Some of the half-dragon progeny were affected by the Rage also, exhibiting uncharacteristic behaviors and in a few cases, committing acts of violence or destruction that saw them land afoul of the authorities. Since that time, the people of Impiltur have been less welcoming to half-dragons of all types and the Burnished have experienced a degree of prejudice and distrust that has made it difficult for them to live "normal" lives. A fair few have left the realm as a result, while others have moved to smaller towns and settlements to avoid this treatment, and currently being a half-dragon in Impiltur comes with the stigma of noticeable racial intolerance.

So there it is. Your NPC is likely to be having a tough time of it, but hey, them's the breaks.

My guy's backstory is that he was born in Impiltur, but he doesn't know who his father was -- his mother didn't even know she'd slept with a dragon until she gave birth to a half-dragon. So Daddy Bronze could have been one of the dragons you describe, or he could have been from somewhere else. Most likely, he was from somewhere else.

There is another bronze dragon as part of my half-dragon's backstory -- but that other bronze is not much more than a name, and the notation that he was a follower of Oghma, himself. My guy changes his name to something inspired by this prior bronze, who was nicknamed Sharpquills; my guy considers himself to be a spiritual heir of this prior dragon. Where this prior dragon even lived isn't important -- just that there was an Oghma-worshipping bronze dragon, at some point in the past.

My guy becomes an adventurer and joins the Harpers, and thus is away from Impiltur when the Rage happens.

quote:

And quickly, Oghma is worshipped in Impiltur as it has always accommodated that faith and also that of Deneir as a "frontier of learning" in the lands of the East, but I wouldn't describe that worship as being "wide". Songhal houses the only temple but there are shrines in Lyrabar and Sarshel as well.

-- George Krashos

I think the easiest thing is for my guy to have been born in Songhal. Despite his mom's support and the fact that half-dragons weren't prejudiced against at the time, he was still kind of a lonely kid, because he was different. And then one day he goes into the temple, where a priest who had seen him around town notices him and decides to take him under his wing -- eventually leading to my guy joining the priesthood, himself.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Oct 2019 16:00:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2019 :  17:25:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad that nothing I wrote was useful!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2019 :  01:43:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad that nothing I wrote was useful!

-- George Krashos

You provided good info. I wasn't sure if Oghma's temple there in Songhal was a one-off or not, and knowing that my guy wouldn't have been attacked on sight or actively distrusted helped -- otherwise, I would have had to move him elsewhere.

And the background on the bronzes means that I can, if I want to, connect either his mysterious father and/or Sharpquills to Impiltur. (Bronze Daddy could have been actively hiding from the local bronzes, which is an interesting idea I'd not had before)

So it didn't change the backstory I had, but gave more potential and confirmed the idea as workable. And I appreciated the lore, too.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Oct 2019 01:44:26
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  00:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, have you thought about brewing styles in Impiltur?

Going by what I guess about the climate and terrain, I can imagine that barley and wheat grow well in Impiltur and that they can make a wider variety of ales and beers than is possible in the Swordcoast North.

Would you consider it implausible or contrary to your internal headcanon if Impiltur was known for brewing ales and beers with a high proportion of wheat (i.e. somewhat like real-world Grodziskie or Weizenbier)?

According to Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, in the North, the standard tavern beverage are stouts. Stouts are also brewed in Cormyr and around the Moonsea, there are brown ales available in the Dalelands and lager appears to be a fairly new innovation from Calimshan.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  10:36:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

George, have you thought about brewing styles in Impiltur?

Going by what I guess about the climate and terrain, I can imagine that barley and wheat grow well in Impiltur and that they can make a wider variety of ales and beers than is possible in the Swordcoast North.

Would you consider it implausible or contrary to your internal headcanon if Impiltur was known for brewing ales and beers with a high proportion of wheat (i.e. somewhat like real-world Grodziskie or Weizenbier)?

According to Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, in the North, the standard tavern beverage are stouts. Stouts are also brewed in Cormyr and around the Moonsea, there are brown ales available in the Dalelands and lager appears to be a fairly new innovation from Calimshan.

See page 35 of this thread.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000