Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of Shou Lung?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  01:42:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay:

OMG... so happy you had a recent backup. I've lost two hard drives full of data due to drive crashes happening within 48 hours of a scheduled full backup, so I feel your pain. My original reason for posting was regarding your map of the Hordelands... I was looking at your two different versions that I have, and I noticed a typo in the v2 map... you have the "Old Kigdom" of Guge north of the Scarlet Jungle and Maviddi Forest; it's spelled correctly on the v1 map. I wouldn't have bothered if you'd actually lost all the map data, of course... although I would probably say "turf it all" regarding the FR timeline I'm building and accept the 4th edition FR timeline (or lack thereof) as canon. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed map almost as much as I was looking forward to getting the Grand History of the Realms... before I learned its page count. I still picked it up, but it was only about half as thick as I thought it should have been.

Hopefully you still have your separate layers intact on your Hordelands map. Sorry for pointing that out, but I'm as much of a perfectionist as you clearly are from everything I've seen; that's why I haven't even tried to redo the maps for myself. I have no visual-arts talent, and even less patience with myself.

So... keep that big world map backed up on a daily basis, and keep a second backup world map WIP updated weekly in Candlekeep's Map Room, okay?

(EDIT: And yes, you definitely need another hard drive. More than 75% capacity is not good.)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Sep 2008 01:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  04:17:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said earlier, I had stopped making back-ups, because the file size was so huge.

However, I'm up to version8 on the World_Map, so I can probably lose 1-4 at this point. I usually do make multiple back-ups - I made plenty of mistakes in the past, so I'm very careful.

In fact, I still have no idea how the error happened, since I did save the file under another name (I wound up with two copies of the colorized map). That means I saved correctly (under another name), so I have no idea why the next time I started up PS it saved the modified file under the main file name (which I am positive I didn't do, since I have the second copy to prove I did it correctly).

Anyhow, even though I lost a bunch of stuff, I should have backed-up a while ago and then merged the layers on the latest version, just because its so much faster manipualting it without all theat added baggage. Now that I was forced to do so (using the WIP), I almost feel like it all worked out in my favor.

Besides... it always comes out better the second time I do something.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  04:20:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I was looking at your two different versions that I have, and I noticed a typo in the v2 map... you have the "Old Kigdom" of Guge north of the Scarlet Jungle and Maviddi Forest; it's spelled correctly on the v1 map.

Good catch - noted and corrected. I have a newer one anyway that I should really post, that includes all the stuff from the Desert of Desolation modules and a few other goodies, plus I corrected the region between Semphar and Ra-Khati, which I was very unhappy with - it's much closer to the old official map now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:18:04  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So since by a miracle you had back-up files, are you continuing with the Shou Lung+ map?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  20:28:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - as I said, what I lost was most of the northern Heartlands. I did remember that I posted a pic of Hartsvale in a thread a few days ago at WotC... glad I did that, because now I have that back as well.

Sometimes it pays to be a showoff.

I added a LOT of locales today, and did a great deal of southern terrain as well. Thanks to my stupid mistake, I came up with a faster way to work - I guess its true that sometimes things happen for a reason.

I also discovered a rather big mistake in the Interactive Atlas, probably because the people who put that together originally just referenced the various official maps, and never bothered to read any of the source text. The area on the original Kara-Tur Maps that says "Malatra" is just the smallest little section of that region that was showing on those maps (from the boxed set). Malatra is actually a term for ALL of the southern jungle region, not just that little part. When they went to add the Map from the living Jungle Campaign, they squeezed it into a very weird area, and also reduced the size of the region from 1200+ miles to about 400!

They must have been confused about that... but after reading the text in the new (old) material I got, I realized that plateau is supposed to be in the CENTER of the southern jungles, and guess what?

It fit almost perfectly!

There are only two mountain ranges not named down there, and when I add the LJ map of Malatra between them, I now have names for both. Even the northern river and SE coastline lined up nearly exact!

And the best part is, its close to its original size, and now fills a very blank area with lots of canon locales.

Life is good.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2008 06:42:29
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  00:34:52  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't jynx it. O-o
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  15:04:08  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  21:11:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to post my latest Hordelands Map today, but I just started Sentinelspire, and I want to finish it first, in case I come across any geographic goodness.

I'll have a new WIP of Shou up later tonight - I was so excited by how well the Malatran Plateau fit into the south, that I stopped working on Shou for awhile. My ADD is really bad, so I'm easily side-tracked.

However, there is a large number of things I did to Shou Lung, including some T'u Lung, so I'll post some of it.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Sep 2008 21:12:02
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  02:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus,
THANK YOU. I have been waiting for someone to do a map of this region. Thank you so very much.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  04:50:51  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question.

What's the "Shoon Imperium" on your map? And also...all that red...is that really all of High Imaskar in 1479?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  06:06:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shoon Imperium ruled SW Faerun, from the nothern border of modern Amn to Calimshan, including the Nelather, east to the Vilhon Reach, then SE down around the Lake of Steam, out the Chultan peninsula to the eastern edge of the Jungle of Chult and east across the Shaar to the Landrise. In other words, in SE Faerun, they did not rule Chult, Lantan, Halruaa, or Chondath. The rest composed the Shoon Imperium at its height.

Most of the sources focusing on these particular regions detail the Imperium somewhat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  07:33:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for fielding that, Sage.

Bear in mind I did that really rough to give you guys a fair idea of the relative sizes involved - its not meant to be a 100% precise 'border'.

The new WIP is up, showing a larger piece of territory.

quote:
Originally posted by UNSpacy

And also...all that red...is that really all of High Imaskar in 1479?

NO - the only two of those that could be considered 'current' (4e) representations is Cormyr and Shou Lung (although Shou may have grown or shrank - we just don't have all the facts in yet).

Thats OLD Imaskar, at its height. Anok-Imaskar extended further east, but it was missing most of the western lands of the earlier empire. NEW (High) Imaskar just has the lands that used to be Mulhorand (although I think it claims the Raurin, if I'm not mistaken).

Also, Imaskar, Netheril, and even Calimshan (Shoon Imperium) all had 'bases' and settlements outside of the empire proper, some of which were pretty damn far away.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2008 07:36:06
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  12:54:46  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epicly epic. Can't wait for final product.
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:52:02  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Will the map be more...zoomable? More specifically, will I be able to see the name of the cities better? I know it's WIP but on the current map I can hardly see the names, let alone zoom in right.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  16:10:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is as 'zoomable' as DeviantART allows. The actual map is High-Def, and can be super zoomed-in... if you download it.

My original Hordelands Map was from my first low-Def version of Toril, and wasn't so pretty close-up (which is why I went to a much higher definition). The same goes for my Silver Marches map.

Try loading the WIP into Paint, or some-other picture viewing program.

Like I said earlier, I will be breaking it into easily-printed chunks once everything (or a least Shou Lung) is done.

EDIT: I just cranked-it up to largest allowable view at DeviantART - hope that helps.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2008 16:13:34
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  17:53:10  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/Goodbye-FR-66302262

What's up with that? Forgotten Realms is alive, no?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I've seen that pic before.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  19:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For many of us, the official Realms are dead, though everything pre-Spellplague still lives on in our hearts and minds. However, this thread is for the 3.x map of Shou Lung and not 4e Realms discussion, so I suggest we not discuss it further here.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 22 Sep 2008 19:29:04
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  23:48:37  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I see the belief of "butchering the Realms" has gripped Candlekeep. Well, everyone has their opinions, but I was really gonna take Mark's maps of Kara-Tur and it's nations and convert them to 4e (IE devastating them with Spellplague). 4e just seems so more simpler for me and my groups...

But I won't shove my opinins down other people's throats and force them to swallow. Back on topic eh?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:12:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I see the belief of "butchering the Realms" has gripped Candlekeep.
I wouldn't assume that's completely the case. Yes, there are some among the more vocal scribes who have valid concerns regarding the 4e Realms. But we've seen many other scribes who are actively interested in exploring what the post-Spellplague Realms has to offer.
quote:
But I won't shove my opinins down other people's throats and force them to swallow. Back on topic eh?
You're just as welcome to share your opinions and thoughts on the 4e Realms as is any other scribe here at Candlekeep. The point, is to enjoy the worthwhile discussion that comes from such scrolls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  07:07:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL... Forgot that was still up there...

Not half as bad as some of the stuff I've done and have up at my photobucket, though

Thats been there since one of my maps was reported as being 'Plagerized Material', and I took down all of my FR maps and and just had that Tombstone on the site for awhile.

AS for 4e - I plan to do 4e versions of all the maps when I'm done with the main continent (INCLUDING Zakhara). I had started a 4e version of the Bloodstone Lands already, but have decided to finish 3e Kara-Tur First. I even created a thread over at WotC to show a WIP of my 'Plagued Lands' terrain type.

I have a great big empty spot just above the jungle region on the Kara-Tur map, and I HATE empty spaces. When I do my revised 4e Kara-Tur, I already have in mind a bunch of terrain changes, including a massive Lake where that empty spot is.

Maybe I'll throw it on there anyway, and say it occurred at the end of 3e (after all, the canon info on this region is pre-ToT!)

I've already projected forward into the lost century with a great deal of stuff, so I'm far from ignoring 4e.

When I get around to putting together everything for the Kara-Tur Netbook (don't ask when), I have a Kingdom of Oriental Hobgoblins, a Shifter Kingdom, a CAT Kingdom (some really good fluff to go with that, if I do say so myself), a Wang-Liang Kingdom (Tiefling Ogres), both sub-sea and Sea-born races/kingdoms, and a dozen fallen Kingdoms/Empires, including Yuan-ti, Rakshasa, a Vedic human Empire (the converted Mahasarpa WE), Maraloi (TAILED Elves), and a primordial "Frozen" Empire of advanced Lizard Men in the far north.

This ain't your grandpa's Kara-Tur.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Sep 2008 20:43:33
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  14:52:26  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is Tabot part of Shou Lung? I've been staring constantly at your Tabot map and your Shou Lung map and because there's no clear borders (unlike Khorvaire), I don't know if I should tell my groups that Tabot is independant...

Or the campaign can be centered around Shou Lung conquering Tabot. :D
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since there's an active thread elsewhere at the Keep about real world influences and inspirations, and since Markustay recently posted that overlay map clarifying relative sizes of empires, I think I can just squeeze this is in as on topic, at least in a meta kind of way.

One of my favorite places on the internet is the Strange Maps blog, and some scribes might be gratified by taking a look at this nifty population map of China they've just posted.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  21:22:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that - I was VERY confused until I read the accompanying text.

I've posted a newer version of the Map Key on my site, for people unfamiliar with some of my icons and terrain types.

quote:

So is Tabot part of Shou Lung? I've been staring constantly at your Tabot map and your Shou Lung map and because there's no clear borders (unlike Khorvaire), I don't know if I should tell my groups that Tabot is independant...

Or the campaign can be centered around Shou Lung conquering Tabot. :D

Tabot is being handled for the Netbook by Dagnirion (Lord Karsus at WotC). As of 1385 DR it is still autonomous, DESPITE Shou-Lung trying to conquer it at last once in it's long history. The fact that the country is almost entirely mountains*, coupled with a rather tough indigenous population and a large number of well-armed monastaries filled with Lamas (Monk/Mystic Combo), and a Leader that is practically a demi-god (Exarch in 4e) makes that country not only hard to conquer, but also hard as hell to hold for any length of time (and not at all worth it, which is probably why the Emperor of Shou leaves it alone).

There is an autonomous City (Bhutan) that is trying to get the rebellious southern provinces/Gompas (temples) to join with it in a civil war against the north, but the various factions hate each other nearly as much as they do the national Gov't.

Petan to the southeast of Tabot is also independent (and has NO canon sources detailing ANY of it). 'The Warring States' to the south of T'u Lung are independent as well, but like Tabot, they aren't worth taking, being mostly primitive savages (at least, thats what the two northern power-houses think of them).

If anything, Shou Lung would be looking to re-take the southern Kingdom(s) of T'u Lung, which broke away from it a couple of centuries ago.

Non-Canon Info:
I have it where the Emperor of T'u Lung dies dies around 1374 DR, and his twin sons (that part is canon) fight over the throne. One son takes the two Wai provinces, while the other finds support in the southerrn provinces of Bashan Do and Fengnao. The provinces of Ausa and Joi Chang remain neutral in the conflict (thus splitting the country three ways). The conflict escalates over a year (bringing us to 1375 DR), when, in the spring, the two brothers finally meet in battle. The battles rages for one whole day, but on the morning of the second day envoys arrive from Ausa, informing both 'emperors' that Shou Lung has taken the opportunity of Civil War to invade in the north, over-running the Joi Chang penninsula!

Ho Bai Lee of Ausa has raised his own army (including many fleeing refugees from Joi Chang), and is on his way to confront the invaders. Both Enperors declare an immediate session to their own hostilites and march north together, and the three southern armies combined manage to fend off the attacking army from Shou.

As it stands at the end of 3e (1385 DR), Shou still retains a good chunk of Joi Chang, and Ausa, T'u Lung, and Fengnao are still divided into a 'Three Kingdoms' period. Until the country is reunited, however, they simply cannot oust the Shou from their northern borders.

*DONE
* I will post a (canon) political map of this region shortly, so you can see the official borders of all countries and provinces. There is a slight problem with them (Wai is shown united, and the Joi Chang pennisula is shown as part of Ausa). In fact, the 'errors' look a lot like how I'm envisioning things going.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Sep 2008 06:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  00:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kara-tur netbook? Awesome!

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  14:33:23  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my deal.

In 1399 DR, Shou Lung actually begins a massive assault on Tabot. The Spellplague weakened Tabot considerably and the current Shou Emperor was feeling a bit...Imperial.
After about 14 months of intense fighting, Tabot agrees to be annexed in exchange for its culture and general way of life is not completely absorbed or meddled with. The Emperor agrees and by 1410, Tabot is a semiautonomous region (like Tibet today).

In 1432, the Emperor then assaults Tu'Lung, and the war is more intense: it rages for about 4 years before Shou Lung finally conquers Tu'Lung, although guerilla warfare continues throughout the country until 1467, and even then, as of 1479 DR, sporadic fighting continues.

In 1389, Kozakura agreed to become a overseas protectorate of Shou Lung due to the Spellplague greatly dwindling its general power. By 1479 DR, Kozakura is more or less autonomous, although it retains its own standing military (with Shou garrions dotted on the islands). Partly another reason why Kozakura wanted to become a protectorate was because Wa was planning to fully conquer and absorb Kozakura. (The Spellplague did not affect Wa at all).

There are also a lot of Faerun creatures in Kara-Tur, a lot more than what there used to be. No one knows why, but the Spellplague decimated large numbers of native Kara-Tur life. Although odd that the arcane energy swept through and did not touch humans but devastated Kara-Tur's creatures, for now, Kara-Turians are just lucky to be alive. (Human, anyway). (That's just my excuse reason because I know almost nothing about Kara-Tur creatures, and the few that I do I don't like [walking foxes or huge, acid-breathing Black Dragons? Uh...])

Now, in the Shou Lung Empire, there exists tension between Wa and the Empire of the Dragon. Their navies literally stare down each other.
However, a far more greater, arcane threat looms...

I saw that political map...I thought Shou Lung had 14 provinces? (As of 1479 in my campaign though, it has 16 provinces )

Edited by - UNSpacy on 24 Sep 2008 14:41:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  18:51:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some things similar.

I was going to put together a timeline here, but I still need to fine-tune mine.

Basically, Shou Lung was VERY impressed with the west's defeat of Yamun Kahan, and especially how easily Thay was able to turn aside the Horde. The Emperor invited the Thayans to establish an embassy, and the first Thayan Enclave is opened in Kara-Tur, in the city of Karatin. Eventually the Thaynas wind up with at least three Shou-based enclaves, and petition the other nations of the region for permission to do so within their borders. Wa staunchly refuses, as does Tabot, but the Kozakuran Emperor, in an un-characteristic display of openess, allows one. At first T'u Lung agrees, but before the decision can be finalized and ground broken for the enclave, the Emperor dies and Civil War erupts.

After a time, the Emperor of Kozakura uses the Thayans as a go-between to contact other local leaders, and manages to get the support of Shou-Lung in a bid to remove the Shoganate from power. Despite their past differences, the Thayans also manage to convince Koryo to make a fake assault on the northern coast, thereby distracting the Shogun and his army (These talks wind up leading to a Thayan Enclave in Koryo as well). Even more surprisingly, Wa spies catch wind of what is going on, and in the name of 'solidarity amongst Emperors' agrees to help as well... unasked (in actually, the don't trust Shou, and remembers what happened when Shou Lung had a military presence in THEIR lands).

The plan goes off - While the Shogun marches his troops north and sends his navy against Koryo, the Shou army lands to the south, and the Wa lands troops to the west. One by one the 'rebellious' lords are put down, until the various forces meet-up and have a huge battle, with very few of the Shogun's men surviving (escaping into the mountains, to fight another day).

The Emperor declares sword-carrying illegal (thus ending the reign of the Samurai), ezcept by members of the Imperial army. Koryo is handsomely paid (by the Thayans, NOT Kozakura, to insure they leave), and Shou establishes two permanent bases in the land in order to "help maintain order". Once again, Wa sees through Shou's subterfuge and also keeps an army stationed in the Imperial Compound, leaving its troops in the sole command of the Kozakuran Emperor... should the need arise.

Shou, of course, was going to slowly take-over Kozakura as a new province, and then eventually use it as a launching-point for a new assault against Wa. However, it's plan were put on hold when General Batu - long believed dead in the Tuigan Wars - reappeared in his old homeland of Chukei. The common folks accepted him as a returning hero, and the strange Golden Light in his eyes lead them to believe he was touched by the gods. After only a short time back, he managed to stage a revolt in the province, declaring Chukei and independent Nation. Not knowing what to make of this new situation, the Emperor of Shou Lung begins to amass a third army to march to Chukei and arrest the General and his followers, but befoe much can be done, an envoy arrives from the new Kingdom announcing its position as a self-governing vassal-state of Shou Lung, and included with this offer was the equivalent of five years worth of taxes normally gleened from the province, and a promise of at least three times the old annual income in a yearly tribute.

Not being a stupid man, the decision was easy enough for the Shou Emperor. Not only would the troublesome province become more profitable to the Empire's coffers, but it would also give Shou Lung a buffer-zone and potential ally in the event of another Tuigan Horde forming... not to mention the fact that Shou was involved in wars on two other frontsat this time

A treaty was signed, and a new Country was officially recognized in northern Kara-Tur. It's just a shame the people of the East never had any experience with Malaugrym before...

There is also a War going on in the Warring States (what else is new?), Solon has invaded Ra-Khati and the Katakoro Plateau (Guge), and Tabot has had to put down an uprising of it's own in the south (the small country of Phutan has formed), immediately following a small 'spat' with Ra-Khati (just before Solon invaded there).

As of the 1370 DR, both Semphar and Khazari still pay tribute to Yaïmmunahar, but are otherwise left to govern themselves.

The east is both an interesting and war-torn land going into the Spellplage...

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Sep 2008 18:59:59
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  19:03:38  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I just can't match you story-wise. I dunno, I'm kind of new to Kara-Tur. I don't know much of its history. But, like I said, I have something for huge empires, and because I (reluctantly) left Eberron and the great Riedran Empire behind for 4e, Shou Lung seems like a favorable choice. Netheril is an empire, but...meh. Too small IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  19:30:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You actually get a better feel for the place after you read through all the old modules - thats where the timelines are hidden. It's a VERY cool region, and really only needs a little 'sprucing up' to make it an incredible setting for 3e/4e.

I've managed to make subtle 'nods' to at least five different anime, without being completely silly, and the 'Cat Folk' of Petan are really my coup-de-grace. The race are called the Pantherans, and the females can take human or cat form (but no Hybrid form), but the males are stuck in cat form (although still highly intelligent).

However, in extremely rare cases, the reverse becomes true for both, and some females are stuck in cat form (did someone say Guenhwyvar? ), while certain males become incredibly powerful and can take both forms at will (Like the first - Bauhei, the Black Leopard). I've managed to connect the race to a least a dozen appearances of 'Cat Folk' and large Intelligent felines (who usually work with humans or others) in the Realms. The history is really in-depth, and involves the Rakshasa, sometimes called the "Forgotten Creator Race" by those in the know.

My Malatra History gets into a lot of Toril's primordial past.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Sep 2008 19:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  05:58:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newer version of the Hordelands up.

I didn't bother with a Map Key this time. I plan to add more to the top and then split this into two seperate ones which will have the Key on it.

I've managed to get the region around Semphar closer to the old maps, and also added quite a bit to the Raurin Desert - please read the notes below the map.

Should have Shou Lung complete by tomorrow - I'm just adding in the last of the roads at this point. T'u Lung is also mostly complete, so that should follow Shortly, and I've got a nice chunk of the Island countries done as well now.

I have a question for everyone - I REALLY wanted to add a Lake in the big empty region just above the jungles (between Petan and T'u Lung), but I've hit upon a pretty cool looking idea while playing around - a group of lakes.

In fact... they look EXACTLY like the Great Lakes, right down to the size.

If it wasn't for Michigan, I don't think anyone would complain - they do look rather nifty there (and they lined up with surrounding Terrain and Rivers amazingly well). I just can't help but recognize that 'giant mitten' in the middle there.

Is that a little too much RW derivation, or should I go for it?

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Sep 2008 16:08:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000