Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt for kids?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  17:59:31  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Yes, Geno Salvatore does have an advantage starting out, a fact that seems to irritate some of the denizens of Candlekeep. But I think the disadvantages of having a famous father will soon balance the initial boost. And ultimately, he will succeed or fail on his own merits.

As for me, I wish him all the best.

100% agree, word for word.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  08:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked it out in the book store today.

I am sad to report that the book is almost entirely in first person. I, I, I, I, I, a style that I don't particularly like.

Of course I guess it could grow on me, after getting through the first 100 pages of Stoker's Dracula I was quite drawn into the story.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  15:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the book really is pre-Spellplague, then to me, that's a mark in the book's favor.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  22:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

I am sad to report that the book is almost entirely in first person. I, I, I, I, I, a style that I don't particularly like.

Of course I guess it could grow on me, after getting through the first 100 pages of Stoker's Dracula I was quite drawn into the story.

First person can be done well, and I suspect Stoker was a much better and more literate writer than Geno Salvatore will ever be.

Edited by - Karzak on 11 Sep 2008 22:15:43
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  22:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatores pére et frére will be in town for a signing tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  00:11:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Salvatores pére et frére will be in town for a signing tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.

It might be very nice to have both sign, if this book sells well I would assume Geno will do the series by himself, since pop tends to be kinda busy Hard telling if they will write together again.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Diocletian
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Diocletian's Homepage Send Diocletian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I registered just to reply to this thread.
Why would there be a need to do fantasy books for children? I read my first fantasy novels as a child (Shannara, LOTR, Crystal Shard, Dragonlance). The only one of those that would be challenging for an intelligent child is LOTR, and that would mainly be due to the sheer scope of the story.
I'm re-reading the Drizzt books and I find them to be written in a very childish manner - not saying it's a bad thing, I'm thoroughly enjoying them - but the language used is very immature. Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?
Yes they're pretty violent these books, but they're not in the slightest bit hard to understand - children of average intelligence will find these books a great read.
I can't imagine how awful a "children's version" of something like "Homeland" would be. My 11 month old daughter would presumably be the target audience.

Edited by - Diocletian on 21 Sep 2008 19:31:02
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  01:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diocletian
Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?

Well, it's pretty fitting for that particular character.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Diocletian
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  07:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Diocletian's Homepage Send Diocletian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?

Well, it's pretty fitting for that particular character.

Yeah I know, but it's not the sort of name you'd find in a book aimed squarely at a gritty adult market. It appeals to all ages.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I know, but it's not the sort of name you'd find in a book aimed squarely at a gritty adult market. It appeals to all ages.

Actually, I'd say that the Drizzt books are meant to appeal to people of all ages, youngsters in particular. I've never seen those books as being particularly "gritty", and I don't think they were meant to be.

Go to Top of Page

Diocletian
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  19:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Diocletian's Homepage Send Diocletian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Actually, I'd say that the Drizzt books are meant to appeal to people of all ages, youngsters in particular. I've never seen those books as being particularly "gritty", and I don't think they were meant to be.

Yeah, that was exactly my point. I don't think a "Drizzt for Kids" book would work, as they can already be enjoyed by kids. Watering them down any further would make them pretty much unreadable except for the very youngest of readers.
I DO believe there's a market for more adult themed fantasy books though, in the same way Batman has stories from both ends of the spectrum (the kids cartoon vs something like The Killing Joke). I'd love to read more adult oriented Forgotten Realms books, and I'm not talking Mills and Boon type adult, I'm talking in particular about books like the one I mentioned before - "Monument" by Ian Graham.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Skiff
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  22:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Skiff's Homepage Send Lord Skiff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading the whole book, and I really enjoyed it. It didn't read like a 'kids' book, other than the large print. It wasn't condescending to its audience, and I got sucked into it right away. I definitely think Geno has inherited his dad's creative gifts, no doubt about it. I don't know if his dad is grooming him to take over the Dark Elf series, but if that's the case, he's certainly made a fan out of me.

I also read Geno's short story in the SPOOKS graphic novel, and if you had told me his dad wrote it I would have believed you. If you did military horror/ fantasy, and are curious about Geno's writing, it's really well done.

As for The Stowaway, it was a fun read and the pacing was great, the characters were compelling, and I thought he did a good job with the first person storytelling (which can be tough to pull off). I'll definitely stick with the series. Also, from the sample I saw of The Pirate King, the protagonist is in that book as well, which is pretty cool.

So, big thumbs up from me.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  23:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked the book up, myself. I figured, why the heck not? It'll be a quick read, and it's pre-Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  08:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant help it, but the guy on the cover looks just like Elijah Wood / Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies when you magnify him like they are doing on the Wizards homepage atm.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  14:46:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

I cant help it, but the guy on the cover looks just like Elijah Wood / Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies when you magnify him like they are doing on the Wizards homepage atm.

Probably NOT a coincidence.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  22:06:12  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Skiff

I just finished reading the whole book, and I really enjoyed it. It didn't read like a 'kids' book, other than the large print.

Silly Rabbit, Drizzt is for kids.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000