Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide' -- Discussion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  02:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Obvioulsy, as I'm much too big for you to do that sort of thing with your head.

Sanishiver=4E Realms Fan.
Hey, I've asked you once before to please stay polite to the non-4e Realms fans. This is the second time. Next time I will launch a formal complaint with the mods.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  02:54:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm mis-reading things, but I think Sanishiver was deliberately poking fun at Ashe's statement. Hence his use of the "icon_smile_tongue" emoticon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Aug 2008 02:55:47
Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  03:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thalos_Milathriel - Amazing First Post! Well Done! [/br]

Thank you. It was a pleasure... well, no I guess not. It was painful since I was eulogizing the Realms, but I'm glad you found it worth looking through.

I will do a part two when I'm done with the FRCG.

You know, if WOTC is going to wreck the Realms this may be the time for us fans to pick up the standard and rush into the fray. I've had a story idea about Thalos floating around for a few years... I may start a fan fiction blog and post a chapter a month and see where it goes. Now that all these FR addicts are bound to be desperately "looking for a fix" it could be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  04:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, 'twas an attempt at humor.

As well a reminder that We Who Still Post on the FR Forums post here as well, not all of us dislike the 4E Realms and none of us care to be made fun of by another forum (especially by one we are a part of).

My apologies for any offense.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:15:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None taken, Sanishiver. Actually, I can appreciate people LIKING 4E Realms, it the ones that are cheering the deaths of beloved characters and other 'ill effects' that I was talking about.

I *do* like some things about the new Realms. An orc kingdom and ... okay, that's all I have right now, because I haven't looked at the book yet. Just as I don't like some of the big changes, especially the time-jump. I can handle the Spellplague even, but I'd rather not ignore 100 years of history just for a 'clean slate'.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  08:43:25  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You make a good point, Ashe. There are good things that can be gleaned.

I'm glad to read to Sanishiver's comments. It's nice to have a different viewpoint.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  13:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of the new Realms in general, and of the FRCG in particular.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  14:04:02  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I really like what i'm seeing so far. I'm borrowing a copy of the new FRCS from a friend and I will most certainly be buying my own copy. HawkinstheDM did however bring something slightly alarming to my attention. Apparently the realms will no longer be expanded with additional books but rather with the use of Dragon articles.

My only real problem with that is the fact that I can't get a hold of Dragon where I live. So hopefully folks can answer some of my questions:

-Are the Dragon excerpts (Cormyr, Rose Keep etc) on the WoTC website just snippets of the actual article or are they the whole package.
-Can you download the magazines online if you join DnD Insider?
-How do you join DnD Insider (I've been wracking my brain with that one)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  14:17:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TwigB

Well I really like what i'm seeing so far. I'm borrowing a copy of the new FRCS from a friend and I will most certainly be buying my own copy. HawkinstheDM did however bring something slightly alarming to my attention. Apparently the realms will no longer be expanded with additional books but rather with the use of Dragon articles.

My only real problem with that is the fact that I can't get a hold of Dragon where I live. So hopefully folks can answer some of my questions:

-Are the Dragon excerpts (Cormyr, Rose Keep etc) on the WoTC website just snippets of the actual article or are they the whole package.
-Can you download the magazines online if you join DnD Insider?
-How do you join DnD Insider (I've been wracking my brain with that one)

Dragon and Dungeon have gone to an all-digital format.

- Yup, that's the whole package.
- Yes. That's how they intend to keep making money.
- Right now it's free, but they are soon going to start charging for content. You pretty much just have to sign up at this point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Aug 2008 14:17:57
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  23:01:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup, 'twas an attempt at humor.

As well a reminder that We Who Still Post on the FR Forums post here as well, not all of us dislike the 4E Realms and none of us care to be made fun of by another forum (especially by one we are a part of).

My apologies for any offense.
Then I must too apologize for misinterpreting and taking offense.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  03:09:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally found a copy at a bookstore (of course it took flying 1100 miles to my parents...)

I do like some of the ideas presented, but I have to agree with the general consensus that there's just not enough facts and the artwork/maps is not up to usual snuff.

One thing I did notice, when going over the 'new' timeline to explain Abeir, it mentions that Ao created all the worlds of this realm, and the twin goddesses defended Toril from the Primordials. Then, under Selûne and Shar's entries it says they created Toril.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1409 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  04:23:44  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let the inconsistencies begin.....at least somethings never changed.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  05:52:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well, I finally found a copy at a bookstore (of course it took flying 1100 miles to my parents...)

I do like some of the ideas presented, but I have to agree with the general consensus that there's just not enough facts and the artwork/maps is not up to usual snuff.

One thing I did notice, when going over the 'new' time line to explain Abeir, it mentions that Ao created all the worlds of this realm, and the twin goddesses defended Toril from the Primordials. Then, under Selûne and Shar's entries it says they created Toril.

well, I think there is more to it than that, but it does indeed appear confusing looking through the creation portion and then the Selune and Shar's entries. I am not convinced it is an error, but that they (the 2 godesses) built upon what was initially created by Ao. hmm...

Edited by - scererar on 24 Aug 2008 06:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, remember that Ed always says the gods lie to mortals, both directly and through their priesthoods, to sway mortals to their causes and to make themselves seem more important and impressive. Who knows who really created the lands? However, I'm betting that the priests of Selune and Shar swear THEIR goddesses did it, but others may believe otherwise.
They may have shoved Ed aside, but his work and influence are harder to dismiss and eradicate.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:27:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, I don't believe that Blueblade. If they were lying about creation, then Selune AND Shar would say they did it single-handedly to win converts from each other...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1409 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  03:33:27  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless of course they are referring to the fact that Selune created Chauntea, who is, technically, the world.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  17:55:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way it's worded is that Selûne and Shar created the world, which in turn brought Chauntea into existence.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the Silverymoon thing - I think a region is considered belonging to a certain group if the leader is of that group, so even if Alustriel's offspring is the ONLY Elf (Eladrin?) in the city, the Realm (under the new rules) would be considered an Elven one.

Well, Methrammar is supposed to be a half-elf, actually.

As for the book, I still plan to take a look at it. However, everything I'm hearing is making me doubt more and more that I'd want to even buy the book second-hand. Like I said, I'll have to see.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still can't wrap my head around those on the WotC boards that are praising the book as exactly what the Realms needed...

I can't wrap my head around them either.

My legs? That's a different story*.

*Not saying I would, just saying I could!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Aug 2008 20:32:10
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  21:01:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*ahem* Yes... *blush*

Well met, Rin!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  21:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*ahem* Yes... *blush*

Well met, Rin!

Well met.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  00:04:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purrrrrr....

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  17:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So they actually managed to come up with something worse then Maztica?

Now that DID take a lot of talent LOL.

Don't be cruel to Maztica.

Dungeon crawling in Maztica was great fun. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, only more monsters and traps, and fewer Nazis.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  13:56:42  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil

quote:

So they actually managed to come up with something worse then Maztica?

Now that DID take a lot of talent LOL.

Don't be cruel to Maztica.

Dungeon crawling in Maztica was great fun. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, only more monsters and traps, and fewer Nazis.

hahah, coffee on the keyboard does not come out very easily
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I have only read the introduction to the FRCG, and I am already turned off to this new setting that they have slapped the Forgotten Realms label (but curiously enough, not the logo) onto. The key part is the "Ten Important Facts" section of the intro.

quote:
from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, pgs 4-5

1. Roughly a hundred years have passed in the world since the previous edition of the campaign setting. The current year is 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One.

2. The Spellplague has drastically altered the cosmos. The Spellplague broke out in 1385 DR (the Year of Blue Fire), the result of unfettered wild magic on the death of the goddess Mystra. Whole countries are gone, especially in regions south of the Sea of Fallen
Stars. Even familiar lands have become magical and fantastic in appearance. Islands of rock called earthmotes drift through the sky. Weird towers and spires of stone jut from the landscape. Spectacular chasms and waterfalls abound.

All things were sustenance for the Spellplague’s insatiable hunger—it assailed and transformed flesh, stone, magic, space, and dimensional walls. Even the cosmos beyond Toril was affected. Some ancient realms returned that had been thought gone forever (such as the Feywild), and entire planes (such as the Abyss) shifted to a new cosmic structure.

3. Portions of Abeir have fused with Toril. The Spellplague raged even beyond planar boundaries, and Toril’s long-lost twin world, cut off for tens of millennia, was also caught up in the maelstrom. Large parts of Faerûn exchanged places with equivalent land masses on Abeir, bringing their populations with them. Across the Trackless Sea, an entire continent of the lost realm reappeared, now called Returned Abeir.

4. The number of gods has dropped markedly. During the last century, even deities succumbed to divine and diabolical plots or to the chaos of the Spellplague. Of those now absent, many died, some left, and a few were revealed to be aspects of already extant gods. Others lost so much power that they became exarchs, lesser divinities who serve the other gods.

5. The Spellplague left its mark on creatures. Some effects of the Spellplague persist to this day, especially in the so-called Plaguelands where wild magic yet rages unrestrained. After exposure to the Plaguelands, some creatures exhibit physical marks called spell scars. These spellscarred individuals develop unique abilities, but not without a price.

Victims of the original Spellplague were horribly changed, not simply scarred, their flesh warped in unimaginable ways. The abilities of the spellscarred, though unique, are never as monstrous and powerful as those of plaguechanged creatures. Luckily, such monsters are few, and of those, only a handful are free-willed, mobile threats.

6. Huge Underdark collapses have changed the surface of Faerûn. As the earth fell away, the level and position of the Sea of Fallen Stars shifted drastically. An enormous opening into the Underdark has formed south of the Chondalwood. In addition to this country-sized hole in the earth, underground shifting has made the Underdark much more accessible to the surface world.

7. Thay has become a terrible undead threat. The former land of the Red Wizards is now under the control of a single power-mad regent: Szass Tam. He nearly succeeded in performing a ritual that would have made him an immortal being. Szass Tam failed, but in so doing he transformed Thay into a nightmare land of death. Now the regent is intent on expanding Thay’s borders so that he can attempt the ritual again.

8. The ancient empire of Netheril has been restored. The Twelve Princes of Shade rule from their capital city, Shade Enclave, in a land newly reclaimed from the Anauroch Desert. Netheril is once again a major player and a threat to all the northern realms.

9. Ancient elven lineages have returned to Faerûn. With the reappearance of the Feywild, its natives have begun exploring the world again. These fey folk collectively call themselves eladrin, and many Faerûnian elves have also adopted this name for their lineage, though they have not forgotten their traditional cultural istinctions and names. In casual speech, the world “elven” collectively refers to the two branches of this fey people: elves and eladrin.

10. Most portals no longer work. The breaking of the Weave destroyed most of the portals that crisscrossed Toril, because it destroyed the hard-won knowledge of arcane casters. Although arcanists have relearned their craft since the Spellplague raged, most portals remain nonfunctional or dangerously malfunctioning, broken relics of a legendary past.

1. Bah, 100 years. I don't like it but can live with it.
2. Considering how they casually re-arranged the Wheel into the Tree in 3e, this does not bother me all that much. What bothers me is that the death of the goddess of magic is something that has happened twice before, and it has never precipitated such occurrences on either occasion. So why the hell does it do it now? Overall all not that upsetting though.
3. This just seems to be a pile of [expletive deleted] that they used so they can try and make the Realms integrate stuff from 4e that was not there before (Primordials), or that they retconned into the Realms in 3e (i.e. Dragonborn), or things that were already in the Realms (i.e. Planetouched). Yes, I know 3e Dragonborn are a different species from 4e Dragonborn, but that is a whole different type of unimagination that I am not trying to cover here.
4. This specific pile of s**t is one of the ones that pisses me off the most about the 4e Realms, and I cannot stomach. Why did they not just choose 20-30 greater deities that they wanted to highlight and then release info on all the others in a supplement (most likely an online Dragon article)? For me, the complexity and diversity of the Realms pantheons was one of the things that defined it for me. Without it, it ceases to be the Realms. I will have to wait until I get further into the book to see if they explained the whole Tyr/Tymora/Helm s**t in a logical way like they promised they would. I do not have high hopes of it though.
5. Plaguelands. Didn't I go questing there in WoW? Spellscarred. Isn't there a mechanic very similar to that in Eberron? Oh yeah, they are called Dragonmarks. More lack of originality.
6. Yet another thing that just plain pisses me off. I like how Faerûn looked before. Why did they have to take a knife to its face while cramming all of the 4e bits into it? I have not received any sort of real explanation as to why this was necessary yet.
7. Bah again. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but I don't really see the point of it.
8. Yet again, bah. Saw this one coming.
9. I really don't like the merging of subraces in 4e. Not at all. And with how the editors pushed using the terms elves and eldarin (RB commented on this, and his dissatisfaction with their decision to do so) and leaving out the names of the subraces (gold, moon, wild, star, etc) just annoys me.
10. WTF? Yet another part of what I loved about the Realms and made it the "Realms" for me is gone. Eff that.

It looks like they had some very specific changes that they wanted to do to the Realms. And they performed these changes as they set out to do. Unfortunately, these changes make it less and less like the Realms that I know and love.

More thoughts to come later.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all sucks, I hate it.

Figured I'd just keep it simple!

Go to Top of Page

Rhone Ethenkhar
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  21:13:18  Show Profile  Visit Rhone Ethenkhar's Homepage Send Rhone Ethenkhar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It all sucks, I hate it.

Figured I'd just keep it simple!

I can dig that.

A lot of the changes in the setting were kind of useless imho. The 100 years thing is probably what annoys me most. I think, that if they were so gung ho on changing stuff, they may as well of been up front about things and just said "The old campaign is done. This is a "new" start for FR." A lot less BS. Kind of what they did in Vampire with the World Of Darkness setting/game. Not that I was hog wild about that either, but it did not mince words though.

However, that is not what happened. I'm just glad I have all my old 1e/2e/3e stuff to use whenever I want to run a new campaign after my current 12 year one concludes this fall.

" Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment, and will die here like rotten cabbages...I intend to discover who are the prisoners and who are the warders." -the Prisoner
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  06:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
2. Considering how they casually re-arranged the Wheel into the Tree in 3e, this does not bother me all that much. What bothers me is that the death of the goddess of magic is something that has happened twice before, and it has never precipitated such occurrences on either occasion. So why the hell does it do it now? Overall all not that upsetting though.
You have to keep reading.

Check page 60 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

Also, is all of the masked vulgarity really necessary in your post? I can understand you're upset, but c'mon...

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 28 Aug 2008 06:21:25
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  07:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eladrin being the name of the elves of the feywild seems to make sense. Since the feywild is the (new) name for Faerie, the realm sun and moon elves originate from, it is possible that its inhabitants are close relatives to the eladrin of the planes and the elves of Faerun are their far descendants. But the vigor whith which these faerunian elves try to reestablish their old family name is strange. And the dropping of the original eladrins of the planes was absolutely unneccessary.

So few things to consider to make this new lore coherent, but, alas! ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 28 Aug 2008 08:16:52
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  16:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, is all of the masked vulgarity really necessary in your post? I can understand you're upset, but c'mon...
Perhaps. I believe in the use of strong language only when trying to convey strong emotions. But I also believe in filtering said strong language for those who take offense at strong language. My "masking" of it is my way of conveying my strong emotions while attempting to filter it. I will not apologize for it, but I will try to keep it completely out of (rather than to the bare minimum that I tried to keep it at) further posts of my review of this product if that is what you prefer. So I guess what I am asking, is: Do you want to know how I am really feeling? Or just the essence of what I am feeling? And, as I said in my post, I will keep reading. Thanks for the page number, I will probably skip there now and then head back and read the Loudwater chapter.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 28 Aug 2008 16:54:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000