Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elven Novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  21:39:14  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
alrighty; I'm almost done all the FR novels I have.

I'm looking for a list of novels, preferably in chronological order, but specifically I'm looking for the elven ones right now.

I'm done with my drow kick (didn't read the drizzt books, but I don't really want to).

now I'd like to read elf novels. Not just novels with elves, but novels where the plot is about elves.

Can anyone give me a list? :P

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  23:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't you start with which novels with elves you have read? Then we can give you suggestions from there.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:19:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:49:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Evermeet is where you should start.

Also, The Last Mythal Trilogy.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:51:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost forgot, even though it focuses on Elminster, Elminster in Myth Drannor has plenty of Elvish action!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  02:31:09  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some Realms of Elves books, full of short stories.

I just bought the Last Mythal series. In what time frame is it set?

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus

Edited by - Aulduron on 02 Aug 2008 02:33:31
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  04:45:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mostly 1374 Year of lightning storms
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  12:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for things by Elaine Cunningham. The Last Mythal is flavorless canon-mutilating tat and reads like a campaign transcript where the DM is uninspired and the players are deadly bored.

Edited by - Karzak on 02 Aug 2008 12:37:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  12:51:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While Elaine's books are loved by just about everyone, the opinions on Last Mythal obviously vary. While I do agree with *some* of the things its detractors list as faults, I still rather enjoyed the trilogy, and I don't have a problem recommending it to others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  18:33:26  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good to know.

start with evermeet.
and avoid the newest book.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  04:43:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Avoid the last Mythal trilogy if you must, but IMO, you will be missing out on realms lore that is quite enjoyable. These boards are filled with opinions for and against just about every FR novel. My vote is research the site on a particular trilogy for the various opinions, or read them your self to form your own educated opinion.

The return of the Arch wizards also has some information on Elves, but opinions are all over the spectrum for or against this trilogy. I liked it

Additionally, I concur with Karzak and Wooley, novels by Elaine Cunningham are worth picking up.

Edited by - scererar on 04 Aug 2008 04:45:44
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  06:48:03  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with the Elaine Cunningham thing. the Starlight and Shadows trilogy are some of my favorite books. I've read them twice (other than starlight and shadows, the only novel I've read more than once is LoTR, and ive read it like 6 times - just not in the past 3 yrs)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  17:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly didn't care for the Last Mythal trilogy. If you're curious about it though, give it a try.

I highly recommend Elaine Cunningham's novels.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  12:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If all else fails, just go to the wizards website and look through the sample chapters. If you find the writing of the first chapter (chapters? Think they put up prologue and first chapter there) of, say, Forsaken House - the first book of Last Mythal - as bland and mediocre as I did, chances are you won't much enjoy the rest of the trilogy either. And on that note, wow, I didn't realize there was so many threads, each with lots of comments, devoted to the discussion of Last Mythal, and that's not even counting the Book Club sub-forum.

Any particular reason you don't really want to read the Drizzt books, by the way? Not that I'm trying to convince you otherwise or anything; as far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to read those, then you sound like you have excellent tastes.
Go to Top of Page

Nkoda
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Nkoda's Homepage Send Nkoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

Go for things by Elaine Cunningham. The Last Mythal is flavorless canon-mutilating tat and reads like a campaign transcript where the DM is uninspired and the players are deadly bored.

I actually enjoyed Last Mythal. But then again I really like Elves and i thought the Return was cool.

Welcome to Jamrock
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  08:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't dislike Last Mythal because I dislike elves or didn't like the Return. I disliked that borefest because it's dully written and the characters have all the presence and personalities of bran flakes.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:11:14  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostfell is an underrated novel

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:36:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sylrae, have you read the anthology Realms of the Elves?

There's quite a bit about elves in RAS's In Sylvan Shadows, which is part of the cleric quintet.

Several of my Songs & Swords books have a half-elf character, but the one that deals most directly with elven people and cultures is Silver Shadows. And there's Evermeet, which is two books in one: Danilo Thann's attempt to gather elven legends and history as a gift to his half-elf love, and a present-day (1371) story to which the various threads of legend and lore are tied. It's not your average FR adventure, but there are definitely elves therein.

Many thanks to the folks who recommended my books. I thought it worthwhile, however, to specify which ones actually focus on elves. Some of them have elven characters--the Counselors & Kings trilogy, for example, has a wild elf villain--but are not ABOUT elves, per se.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 12 Aug 2008 18:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Nkoda
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  02:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Nkoda's Homepage Send Nkoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

There's quite a bit about elves in RAS's In Sylvan Shadows, which is part of the cleric quintet.

Several of my Songs & Swords books have a half-elf character, but the one that deals most directly with elven people and cultures is Silver Shadows. And there's Evermeet, which is two books in one: Danilo Thann's attempt to gather elven legends and history as a gift to his half-elf love, and a present-day (1371) story to which the various threads of legend and lore are tied. It's not your average FR adventure, but there are definitely elves therein.

Many thanks to the folks who recommended my books. I thought it worthwhile, however, to specify which ones actually focus on elves. Some of them have elven characters--the Counselors & Kings trilogy, for example, has a wild elf villain--but are not ABOUT elves, per se.

although they may wnat to read the songs and swords novels before evermeet to get a sense of who Danilo Thann is first. I liked the character much more rereading Evermeet after the fact :).

Welcome to Jamrock
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  13:04:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nkoda

quote:

although they may wnat to read the songs and swords novels before evermeet to get a sense of who Danilo Thann is first. I liked the character much more rereading Evermeet after the fact :).

If someone wants to go this route, then I would recommend Elfshadow, Elfsong, and Silver Shadows. I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary to read Thornhold and Dreamspheres before Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  17:25:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If someone wants to go this route, then I would recommend Elfshadow, Elfsong, and Silver Shadows. I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary to read Thornhold and Dreamspheres before Evermeet.

*waves fanboy flag*

All good books to reads though. Evermeet is a good way to finish off the series.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nkoda

quote:

well, if you can't think of any.......

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My point being, there's nothing in either book that one absolutely MUST KNOW before reading Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  03:47:07  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the Last Mythal series. I thought it was good. I especialy liked the Elven history. I'd love to read a whole series about the ancient nations.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  12:44:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I just finished the Last Mythal series. I thought it was good. I especialy liked the Elven history. I'd love to read a whole series about the ancient nations.

Star Wars novels are being written in several eras: the Clone Wars, post New Jedi Order, several centuries earlier. Theoretically, it would be possible for the Realms novels to take the same approach. I would pretty much drop everything (that wasn't under contract....) to write an epic history of the Crown Wars.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  13:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Star Wars novels are being written in several eras: the Clone Wars, post New Jedi Order, several centuries earlier. Theoretically, it would be possible for the Realms novels to take the same approach. I would pretty much drop everything (that wasn't under contract....) to write an epic history of the Crown Wars.

WotC has apparently stated that the novels are making more money than the game supplements. WotC likes money, for it keeps their dark masters happy in their infernal lairs.

You're one of their more popular novelists, I understand. Which means that at least some of the money triumphantly hoarded by Hasbro bean counters has come to them through your efforts. There is also a chance that you will yield more treasure for them in the future.

Therefore, a recommendation from you might carry some weight with them. If at all possible, argue for such an approach. Vocally, if necessary.

I'll buy Realms novels written in every single period of its history. With the exception of the period starting after 1375 DR, may it be stricken from all records.

Crown Wars are a good time, sure, but then again, so is the Weeping War. The fall of Phalorm. Ascalhorn.

Anything, really, as long as it's Pre-Spellplague.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  19:03:05  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Theoretically, it would be possible for the Realms novels to take the same approach. I would pretty much drop everything (that wasn't under contract....) to write an epic history of the Crown Wars.

Please do! That would more than make up for having no more Lireal books. The Crown Wars, the War of Three Leaves, Dragon Wars, stories of the Deep Shanatar, or ancient Delzoun, wars in Calimshan involving Djinn, Dragons, Dwarves, Efreet...etc could make fascinating reading, and I'd buy them up as fast as they could be published.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  04:00:50  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just let us know when we can pre-order!
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:34:21  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I feel foolish. I could have sworn I'd read Evermeet, before. However I just found the book in a box and decided to re-read it, and nothing, after Araushnee being thrown down, sounds familiar. I had no idea so much of it took place before the Crown Wars.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

Wow, I feel foolish. I could have sworn I'd read Evermeet, before. However I just found the book in a box and decided to re-read it, and nothing, after Araushnee being thrown down, sounds familiar. I had no idea so much of it took place before the Crown Wars.

Yes, quite a bit of the book retells elven legends and history--or at least, the version of history Danilo Thann was able to obtain.

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  05:06:30  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent read! I can't believe I didn't read, or don't remember it. I must have bought it while married, and never got a chance to read it. I agree that the OP should read Evermeet.

You'd definitely be the best choice to write about the Crown Wars.

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000