Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Mind Flayers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  07:50:37  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering what the best source was for info on Mind Flayers? Culture, powers, etc.

Thanks

Warduke the eternal Warrior. Let the rivers run red.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  08:27:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best answer I can give is an old 2e resource called Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad (9569), written by Bruce R. Cordell. It is the definitive tome on the Mind Flayer species.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2003 08:28:56
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  22:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres also a d20 publication not long out by Green Ronin, entitled: Unveiled Masters: The Essential Guide to Mind Flayers. I havent read much of it yet but at first glances it looks pretty good.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:46:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have that one also, although I couldn't comment on it, as I have not read it yet. I am slowly working my way through Fiend Folio at the moment. Rad, from what you have read, does it contradict anything we already know about Mind Flayers in general?.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  16:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I have that one also, although I couldn't comment on it, as I have not read it yet. I am slowly working my way through Fiend Folio at the moment. Rad, from what you have read, does it contradict anything we already know about Mind Flayers in general?.

Not at first glances, Sage. I prefer the Illithid in content (its much more graphical with anatomy, gear etc). Like you, ive yet to go through it properly.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  16:03:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the graphical images in the Illithiad are one of it's best aspects. It really builds the image of the race as a unique and alien species.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  19:53:37  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put a lot links to SVGames.com not because I have any vested interest, but to let people know they can still get old 1e and 2e stuff if they want to.

Monstrous Arcana - The Illithiad

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 09 Jul 2003 19:54:25
Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  00:00:41  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try to get the illithiad from Ebay. I'm planning on setting up a Mind Flayer vs. Githyanki vs. Drow conflict with the party getting caught up in the middle of it. I ran a campaign that involved the Githyanki many years ago and I think its time to bring them back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  11:06:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds interesting. I like to hear more about this plan, if you are willing to post it here. Githyanki and Mind Flayers are two of my favorite monstrous creatures.

Although I think I would use the Githzerai instead of the Drow since they already have a running grudge with the other two races, and will make your plan easier to design and incorporate into a campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  18:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would hazard that most planar creatures (i.e. githyanki, githzerai, ect.) are just really cool. Most things that are not native to the Prime are so much fun, largely because they're so very weird, usually. I'm sorry but whoever thought up a creature that eats brains and reads minds should get a freaking medal.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:01:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

I would hazard that most planar creatures (i.e. githyanki, githzerai, ect.) are just really cool. Most things that are not native to the Prime are so much fun, largely because they're so very weird, usually. I'm sorry but whoever thought up a creature that eats brains and reads minds should get a freaking medal.

AND Looks like a SQUID!!!!! Don't forget that! It can be a Star on the medal ribbon!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:19:45  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a possibility of the Githzerai getting into the campaign. At some point the party will have the option to seek out their "help." A little background on my party first. The players are all inexperienced young people including my son who's 11 yrs old. The age range is 11 to about 14. They've all read the books about the Drow. To them the Drow are the ultimate evil in the FR universe. They have no idea of Githyanki or much knowledge of Mind Flayers, so they will be in for quite a surprise. The plan is for them to discover a once magically hidden Drow city where the Drow they will find have been slaughtered to the last man. As they complete the current mission of rescuing a kidnapped princess they'll encounter more signs of a sweeping but unseen force thats running roughshod over the land. By the time they return to their homebase in Sembia a Githyanki invasion will be in full force. They plan to setup a Githyanki empire on the Material plane and to crush a long hidden Mind Flayer hold deep within the Thunder Peaks. People are dying, high level NPC's are dissapearing or dropping like flies, their little world has been turned upside down and just when it can't get any worse.....the Drow have come for revenge

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  02:22:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds more like an Epic level campaign. What are the character levels of all of the PC's involved?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  02:24:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is an interesting idea though. I like to hear more about some of the adventures - when you begin - if you wish to post them here at Candlekeep. They would make a great reference for those wishing to use such races in their campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  02:32:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say, you should probably also try to locate a Planescape accessory called "A Guide to the Astral Plane" (2625). It has a lot of important reference material on the Githyanki race as a whole. I think it also details alot about their background history with the Illithids, although it has been a long time since I read it, so maybe I am mistaken on that part. It is a good accessory for all things Githyanki though.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  07:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say epic, but it does sound a bit too high-level for a group of inexperienced players. I think I wouldn't want that as my first (or second) campaign. Not unless I were the only inexperienced one there.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  08:08:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think that there are many non-epic campaigns that have a considerable army of githyanki-like power that have been published recently.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  08:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds more like a homebrewed campaign, though.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  22:06:51  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confident in these guys that by the time they finish their rescue mission which will take them deep into Amn they will have gained both the levels and the experience to hold their own.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  11:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What levels would those be?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  13:30:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And also, what can you tell us about this rescue mission that will take these characters into Amn?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  13:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He said they're rescuing a kidnaped princess.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:29:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that, but some more details about from whom, and from exactly where in Amn would be interesting.

Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  00:42:49  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they're headed to Riatavin right now on the trail of on Annihilus Blackheart. A one time allie of the King, Blackheart was corupted years ago by the spirit of an evil sword he now carries with him. So twisted now that his very appearence is altered to reflect that of the spirit of the cursed weapon. They believe that the man behind the kidnapping is a Baron Shanticlear a Wizard and slave trader originally from Luskin who had a run in with the King years ago when he(the King) was an adventurer. This is partially true as the Baron is involved, but the real power behind it all is the King's bastard son Eric born many years ago who plots to take the throne by means of extortion or worse. I won't throw anything too heavy at them until they've made 3rd level. Though they did run into a couple of Githyanki already. A scouting party that was pretty low level. They actually made pretty easy work of them and smartly tossed one of the dead bodies into their wagon to see if somone could identify it as they have no idea what they are. Speaking of the wagon. They were pretty clever and more knowledgeable about the realms then I suspected. Before passing through Cormyr the thief heisted a wagon and has them all disguised as merchants knowing that adventurers are somwhat frowned on in that country.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  02:36:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds very interesting. It's a shame you don't live in my area. Perth suffers from a lack on imaginative campaign creators.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  11:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Third level? I would have thought, from the other things you've mentioned, that they'd have to be higher.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:49:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why it made me think it would be close to an Epic-level campaign. Third-level seems too low indeed.

Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  22:03:08  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to be doing fine so far. They have the princess bodyguard a very large, very angry Minotaur along to help them out as well as an NPC mercenary they hired to accompany them. The back story on the Minotaur is pretty good, but telling it here would probably get us way off topic. I would add that dispite the low levels of the party, I feel it actually adds to the story in that young characters are involved in somthing of a grand and epic scale. I've always been a DM who believes in story first and rules and mechanics second. So far the story we've been spinning has been awesome!

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  06:30:10  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.planewalker.com/loz/index.shtml
Warduke,See "Legacy of Zerthimon"
If you haven't ever been to this site it has some interesting stories,stats,check out the Gith'ilid and others under Miscellaneous,I don't know how offical this stuff is as
its linked to the Planescape site that Sage warned me not to take literally until PS 3eCS comes out. Some of it is fun to read though and it mentions all the races you guys spoke of.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:20:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Legacy of Zerthimon is considered canon. In fact there is a large amount of material (not yet presented on PS3e.com) that deals with this. Some of it was developed directly from the Torment game, while the rest was created by fans. I have several of these 'juicy' files on my HD.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Sep 2003 08:21:39
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  08:50:42  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

The Legacy of Zerthimon is considered canon. In fact there is a large amount of material (not yet presented on PS3e.com) that deals with this. Some of it was developed directly from the Torment game, while the rest was created by fans. I have several of these 'juicy' files on my HD.

Sage,
I'm glad you said this,I wasn't for sure! I was worried about the Gith'ilid, I had never seen or read about them.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000