Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Member's Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  12:35:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

Then I assume she survived the ravages of the Chaos War, unlike the majority of her kin?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Yoshimo
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  13:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Yoshimo's Homepage Send Yoshimo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name originates from the great Yoshimo, bounty hunter from a little game I like to call Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, a Black Isle product. I am currently using his biography and his stats on the RPGs of the Adventuring forum called A Bunch of Cliche Heros in a D&D RPG and On a sunny day with nothing to do...

Holy heavens! If I use Yoshimo's biography, is that plaugurizing?

May the light of Selune light your path and Olidammara guide your footsteps ~Shadow Thief Motto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  15:53:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took my name and sig from the second Spelljammer appendix to the Monstrous Compendium. Wooly Rupert is the legendary Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, a being that most tinker gnomes fear but won't admit to believing in.

I really loved the Spelljammer setting, and Giant Space Hamsters were a silly and fun concept. I decided to use this name because it comes from Spelljammer, is quite skewy, and yet rather unique. I like that it's such an obscure reference.

Outside of these forums and the WotC ones (when I was active on that site), only about 3 people have ever recognized the name.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  15:56:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoshimo

My name originates from the great Yoshimo, bounty hunter from a little game I like to call Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, a Black Isle product. I am currently using his biography and his stats on the RPGs of the Adventuring forum called A Bunch of Cliche Heros in a D&D RPG and On a sunny day with nothing to do...

Holy heavens! If I use Yoshimo's biography, is that plaugurizing?

Not if you properly credit it.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  12:58:54  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I took my name and sig from the second Spelljammer appendix to the Monstrous Compendium. Wooly Rupert is the legendary Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, a being that most tinker gnomes fear but won't admit to believing in.

I really loved the Spelljammer setting, and Giant Space Hamsters were a silly and fun concept. I decided to use this name because it comes from Spelljammer, is quite skewy, and yet rather unique. I like that it's such an obscure reference.

Outside of these forums and the WotC ones (when I was active on that site), only about 3 people have ever recognized the name.

That's really cool! I always assumed your actually name was Rupert, or something, and never suspected your sig to be anything other than nonsense (though I knew of, and loved, Giant Space Hamsters and their origins)! Congrats on an intriguing moniker.

Sarelle is my character's name. Not... too... interesting! On a side note, about two years ago, I decided Sar-ELL was too boring a name, and now pronounce it Shyar-ELL-eh (the y, and the -eh, being said very softly). I'm SOOO pretentious!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Yoshimo
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  00:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Yoshimo's Homepage Send Yoshimo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...legendary Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen...

I recognize that name from Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. There was a beserker warrior named Minsk who got hit on the head a bunch. His hamster was named Boo, and the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen supposedly guided him with his squeaks. Does anyone know if the two are related? Does this Spelljammer setting come after BGII, (C) 2000, WR?

May the light of Selune light your path and Olidammara guide your footsteps ~Shadow Thief Motto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  00:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoshimo

quote:

...legendary Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen...

I recognize that name from Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. There was a beserker warrior named Minsk who got hit on the head a bunch. His hamster was named Boo, and the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen supposedly guided him with his squeaks. Does anyone know if the two are related? Does this Spelljammer setting come after BGII, (C) 2000, WR?

The Spelljammer setting had been long abandoned by 2000. I think the setting came out in 1990 or '91, and the last supplement for it (the horrible Astromundi Cluster boxed set) was like 1994 or so. Don't quote me on the exact years, but those are, I believe, fairly close.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  09:13:07  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gion.... Curious....fancy.... esplendid

Okay, nothing special, Gion is the name of the main character of a book i'm writing at this moment.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  15:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, let me assure you that my name here doesn't imply some fascination with pirates(at least any more so than the normal, healthy amount that all people should have).

Well, initially the reason I got online at all was to download the patch for, and play Starfleet Academy(*)online. My handle there was "Capn Charlie", seeing as my name is Charlie, and I tend to use colloquialisms like "capn"

I maintained the nickname throughout most of my activities online out of habit, and then later as a manifestation of a personal philosophy I have that revolves around the metaphor with which I view life:

I see the world like the sea, and your life is like your vessel. You can be captain of your own ship, or crew on another's. Though sometimes mine seems more like a dinghy than a yacht, at least it's mine.

The general nautical motif my avatar here has, well, that is really just because after awhile you embrace the stereotype my name implies.

Besides, the 'ol boy is quite stylish with his tricorn hat, and jaunty eyepatch.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  08:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phantom Lord is a very, very **bleep** song by my favourite band: Metallica.

Their songs are a really good source for inspiration for DMs (like me).

Ponka! Kaddu!

Edited by - Tethtoril on 18 Jun 2004 15:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  23:06:14  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sylrae Di'Manna is my moon elf character I ran in my first greyhawk game... bad setting in my opinion. I dunno why he let me be a mon elf but he did. somehow I ended up in greyhawk, carried the character on in a much better FR campaign and became a baelnorn. baelnonr's are cool, And I was indeed quite the baelnorn. not stereotypical though, as I was a bard. my connection was to the party, so I could keep being a pc obviously, and used undeath after death on the whole party So they wouldnt die and I wouldnt be lonely. lol
sadly game was cancelled a while afterward but I kept the character. I never got to see everyone as cryptspawn, or anything else, but it was still cool.

ther you all go.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the name my parents gave me - I graduated from posting re the Realms via a pseudonym many moons ago.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  00:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's the name my parents gave me - I graduated from posting re the Realms via a pseudonym many moons ago.

-- George Krashos

lol
Some kids of today change their birth name (coz they dont like it) to something else. I worked with a guy (not gay) who's parents named him Paris Leslie (first & middle name).

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  07:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame my parents.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  17:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I really dont know why I came up with the name Melfius. It may have been a Roman version of Prince Melf's name (from Greyhawk, creator of the Melf's Acid Arrow spell), but I think it was one of those situations where the name just sort of popped into my head.

My group was staring a new campaign (we were going to run the Night Below adventure). I was stumped as to what I should run, so my DM (in a fit of insanity) suggested I run a pixie thief. He has since regretted his choice.

I wanted a 'pixie-sounding' name, so Melfius came up. His last name was Bughumpar (close to being obscene, but funny nonetheless). I've since dropped it for the most part, but it still gets used every so often.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  21:26:21  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name came from an old NPC i used in a game years ago. The character was essentially my father as a Sembian (or possibly an Archenfolk) merchant. I used his initials, GH (which incidently are the same initials for no less than three members of my close family) to create a D&D sounding name.

All my characters have a tendency towards that pattern, i use my own initials to create my PC's names and they usually end up as NPCs in later games that i happen to run, eg Adanthalas, Arvath Hoan, Azael Hiloar etc. I've been running with that theme for so many years now i've lost track of which ones were always NPCs and which ones were PCs that i've played at one point or another.

Slightly off topic, but i do feel that using old PCs in later games as background characters adds to the continunity and realism of the setting. I still get emails from old party members asking what their characters are up to these days in my current game. Most of them get used as distant mentors for new and inexperienced players and the like.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 06 Mar 2005 21:29:44
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  22:23:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine was invented for an e-mail adress and is the two first letter in each of my names plus the internet-abbrevation for my country since the mail-server wouldn't allow a six-letter name.

(KArl JEsper HAglund from SwEden).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  15:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm, nothing spectacular here either. I just used the shortened version of my real name. Well, that and I look nothing like my avatar, but what can I say, I was too lazy to find something that looked like me.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  17:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is simply the name of the character I was playing when I joined Candlekeep. Brother Ezra was an Ilmatari cleric inserted into a homebrew world. The campaign was short-lived, but I liked the character enough to convert him into an NPC in my current Bloodstone Lands campaign. Brother Ezra resides in the Damaran city of Trailsend.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  23:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Hrm, nothing spectacular here either. I just used the shortened version of my real name. Well, that and I look nothing like my avatar, but what can I say, I was too lazy to find something that looked like me.

Well, in real life, I look nothing like my avatar, either. Except maybe for the goofy grin...

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  23:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What?!? Wooly's not a big, fluffy bundle of world-devouring cuteness?!? Once again, my beliefs are dumped on their collective rears.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  01:15:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, in real life, I look nothing like my avatar, either. Except maybe for the goofy grin...

Your ears aren't that big
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  02:45:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I joined a club for Star Wars Xwing vs TIE Fighter online. They were consolidating the roster for logins to the site and wanted people using the same callsign to change. So I couldn't figure out what to change it to, then I remembered there was those two brothers in Magic the Gathering, so I picked Urza (this was before the novels or expansion sets with novel tie-ins.) Just when Urza and Mishra were cool parts of the flavored text on the first 4 sets. So I vary between Urza or Urza, depending on if someone is using Urza.

I use SirUrza here because that's what I used on Wizards.Com and that's how people know me. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  05:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name is actually Gray Richardson. Gray is short for Grayson.
Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  06:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is from the Swashbuckler I played in our ongoing campaign. By playing I mean that I'm in the US right now so I can't play with the others, who are in Sweden.
Too bad Tanyn fell in battle in the last session
He will be raised as a revenant to attack his former comrades in their final showdown against a Cyrisist

"Deserves got nothin' to do with it."
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  11:01:07  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

A myth has fallen

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  08:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The truth? Well it's a pen name. I had a great idea to do a comic with more than a little pornografic elements in it and didn't want to besmirch my good name(chuckles). So I made up a good name for a deviant that said 'me' without saying it was me. Plus would look good scrawled on the bottom of a t-shirt.
So anyway I write and storyboard the thing and by the third issue I discover much to my dismay that writing about sex is boring! It became real work to finish the series(just one story arc mind you). But by then I'd lost the fire in my gut to do up the finished artwork and script.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  08:33:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Well, I see my avatar as a reflection of what my future self will be like after many more years of studying Realmslore.

Although, now that I think about it, I'm almost part the way there now. I love my fluffly and flowing beard... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  05:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another overlooked topic... Really need to get glasses
My nick comes from well, my character's (more like characters') last name. Played many characters, but all had the same last name: Rhezarnos. Why? I don't know, it sticks. So I thought "What the heck, use it here too"
If you're looking for the meaning, Rhezarnos means outcast among outcast, belongs nowhere, abomination of creation. You get the drift.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  02:56:17  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just like to be lucky and reckless so I heard that Tymora priests and followers always say "Fortune favors the bold and so they throw caution and advice into the wind as they go about their work. That suits me so I heard that there are Chosen of Mystra so well I just combined a few words to get 'TymoraChosen' name out.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000